Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
How do you even get the experimental version I am bad at computer

Edit: I found it, I am less bad at computer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

As someone who computers for a living, I'm qualified to say you never get less bad at computer. You just get used to being bad at computer.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

necrotic posted:

Pave the world and build on that, tracks snap to foundations.

I've never gotten a straight rail segment otherwise.

Build a pillar for track to rest on. Build 12 foundations out from that pillar in the direction you want to go. Remove the 11 middle ones, and finish the remaining to become a pillar. Build track between middles of the two pillars.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Build the track to the natural grade of the land and enjoy the gentle sweeping curves as you pass by.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

KillHour posted:

Build the track to the natural grade of the land and enjoy the gentle sweeping curves as you pass by.
This. Always be working with the terrain. That's what makes this stuff interesting.

Though if you want to make a straight bridge over a gap, the foundation trick is pretty good advice. Swoopy curvy bridges don't feel great.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Eiba posted:

This. Always be working with the terrain. That's what makes this stuff interesting.

Though if you want to make a straight bridge over a gap, the foundation trick is pretty good advice. Swoopy curvy bridges don't feel great.

Look at this nerd who doesn’t need train tunnels.

Whoa poo poo can I fit a train underground!?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Is there a version of this calculator that's set for the experimental version? Or do I have to wait until this poo poo becomes canon

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Evilreaver posted:

Is there a version of this calculator that's set for the experimental version? Or do I have to wait until this poo poo becomes canon

People are still working on it, the fluid mechanics and changed recipes are probably a lot of extra work. Greeny at least has an item browser up so you can see all the alternate recipes and stuff.

https://update3.satisfactory.greeny.dev/

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

So I made it to the top of the peak in the middle of the continent. Is the crash site there supposed to be empty? That was a bit diappointing.

Same thing happened to me. It was pretty disappointing.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Decided to start fresh on an alternate map. Chose Rocky Desert. Didn't realize i was going to be inundated with the most powerful vaporwave aesthetic the game could throw at me.

I love it.

Been putting on lofi retrowave like Com Truise and just slowly building away....

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

So it's been like a year, how did this shake out?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Agent355 posted:

Game's good. When it releases on Steam, I intend to rebuy it there to support the devs.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The rocky desert is still my favorite start. But I feel like this dune desert is going to carry me through experimental and stable until the production release.

All of you talking about following the land are missing out on the most beautiful part of Factorio Satisfactory: Paving the world. Smooth out all the wrinkles. There is only GRID. You must OBEY GRID. When you doubt EXPAND THE GRID. And now with scaffolding and railings and pillars I can make all my bridges and layers aesthetic. Find a staircase below into the twilight world under GRID of scaffolding and columns, eternally in shadow; drowning out all life to support the ever increasing consumption above. If you adjust the 50 minute game day cycle to real world time it still should only take less then a year for the planet to become consumed by the project and be replaced with one beautiful unending GRID

Totally unrelated, I am also most looking forward to a flood fill click-drag option for foundations and walls.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Ambaire posted:

Game's good. When it releases on Steam, I intend to rebuy it there to support the devs.

I've got a friend that I want to start a new map with, so I've been watching the steam availability like a hawk. Unfortunately, they said it probably won't be in February or March.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Have they added a way to mass build foundations yet? Haven't figured it out if so.

Also, are there enough hard drives to research all alternate recipes?

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Feb 23, 2020

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ambaire posted:

Have they added a way to mass build foundations yet? Haven't figured it out if so.

Also, are there enough hard drives to research all alternate recipes?
No and yes.

M_Gargantua posted:

The rocky desert is still my favorite start. But I feel like this dune desert is going to carry me through experimental and stable until the production release.

All of you talking about following the land are missing out on the most beautiful part of Factorio Satisfactory: Paving the world. Smooth out all the wrinkles. There is only GRID. You must OBEY GRID. When you doubt EXPAND THE GRID. And now with scaffolding and railings and pillars I can make all my bridges and layers aesthetic. Find a staircase below into the twilight world under GRID of scaffolding and columns, eternally in shadow; drowning out all life to support the ever increasing consumption above. If you adjust the 50 minute game day cycle to real world time it still should only take less then a year for the planet to become consumed by the project and be replaced with one beautiful unending GRID

Totally unrelated, I am also most looking forward to a flood fill click-drag option for foundations and walls.

Honestly I feel like the "big box in the sky" approach is just running away from the challenges the game represents. I prefer my concrete creep to follow the contours of the land, and have the hills and cliffs provide some natural boundaries to work around.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Feb 23, 2020

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Evilreaver posted:

Best I could find
https://legorin.github.io/satisfactory-calculator/calc.html#items=supercomputer:f:1

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Tenebrais posted:

No and yes.

Honestly I feel like the "big box in the sky" approach is just running away from the challenges the game represents. I prefer my concrete creep to follow the contours of the land, and have the hills and cliffs provide some natural boundaries to work around.

Oh the concrete creap does follow the land :getin:

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Talkc posted:

Decided to start fresh on an alternate map. Chose Rocky Desert. Didn't realize i was going to be inundated with the most powerful vaporwave aesthetic the game could throw at me.

I love it.

Been putting on lofi retrowave like Com Truise and just slowly building away....

I picked it too and it's so pretty. I also love the sort of central location because the last time I played was the grasslands and you had to walk like 3km for the oil.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I picked it too and it's so pretty. I also love the sort of central location because the last time I played was the grasslands and you had to walk like 3km for the oil.

Based on what I’ve seen so far, it’s not that the location itself is more central to the map, it’s that there is a really wide variety of recourses within a kilometer of, well, the specific spot where I landed. And lots of breakable rocks of quartz, caterium, and sulfur as well, allowing the player to unlock and live down those trees a lot more quickly than I did in previous starts. I was mass-producing quickwire, polished quartz, and gunpowder before I had even unlocked the tier with the oil production unlock in it.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Agent355 posted:

It's fine but the first version was about six months too early. Not a problem if you are buying on steam which is sounding like late spring or summer.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I'll consider it ready for release once it has a blueprint or copy paste built in. Too much time is spent repeating the same few clicks for any sort of mass production.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

socialsecurity posted:

I'll consider it ready for release once it has a blueprint or copy paste built in. Too much time is spent repeating the same few clicks for any sort of mass production.

The mod "area actions" has this.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Volmarias posted:

I have to say I'm appreciating the aliens mechanic in factorio more after playing this, along with deposit limits, as they both act as forces to require you to explore and expand. The new deposits are needed to feed your hungry machine, and the aliens attacking with escalating force to delete your respected gives you a reason in the mid game to not just dither in your base. I'm honestly hoping that there's something similar to that to encourage the player to not just sit around banging iron rocks and leveling up that way.

What are you talking about, Satisfactory implores you to explore for several reasons. The power slugs, the crashed ships for hard drives, and most good resource nodes are spread out from one another at higher tiers--oil is rarely right next to coal or sulfer, for example. Yes, the resource nodes don't dry up here, but higher-tier stuff always requires MORE, plus power is always at a premium, so expansion of the network is still necessary.

Not to mention, how drat intricate and easy to get lost in is this map.

In other news: they're totally cosmetic but I love columns in the ticket store. I tend to pave over tall areas with huge platforms and sticking a column in there helps my subconscious get over the fact that it should be impossible.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

30-something hours in and looking at what exactly I need to produce for the third space elevator phase and holy gently caress I must not be building enough factory because it’d take me something stupid like 10 hours to build all that.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

GruntyThrst posted:

30-something hours in and looking at what exactly I need to produce for the third space elevator phase and holy gently caress I must not be building enough factory because it’d take me something stupid like 10 hours to build all that.

Given the third space elevator stage is the end of Early Access, 10 hours is something to savour!
(There is a tier 7 afterwards, but no goal to work towards besides racking up vouchers. Though even that is better than before)

Seriously though, aside from the fact it's going to take you a few hours to get the plastics line going, the whole idea is to keep expanding and producing more.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There is definitely a conflict between "I could spend an hour building up more factory and then another hour waiting for it to make the parts I need" and "I can just spend an hour with a stapler on my spacebar and get to the next tier faster"

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
I think with update three it would easily be faster to make the factory larger. Hand crafting is quite a bit slower and you need an assembler to craft the tier bits now.

Take the wait tine to go hunt hard drives, them you'll have better recipes and the tier will be done.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Cojawfee posted:

There is definitely a conflict between "I could spend an hour building up more factory and then another hour waiting for it to make the parts I need" and "I can just spend an hour with a stapler on my spacebar and get to the next tier faster"

Thing is that if you go with the first option, that increased capacity is there for the rest of the game, ideally feeding into a storage can until that fills up and the whole line goes idle. Next time you need wodgets or squickydoos you can just grab six stacks and that empty space will probably be refilled by products on belts and in output hoppers within minutes.

I definitely do pick something I can handcraft quite a few of and leave a rock on my spacebar if I'm going to go do something else, but once I've slipped the surly bonds of biomass power and my factory starts really expanding in size, it's definitely going to produce a lot more of X than I will on the crafting bench in the same time period, unless my supply chain for X is a can-fed initial underbuild or has a serious problem somewhere in its dependencies.

Basically, build more factory in the factory-building game. I promise it's worth it.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

As I look up at my three story solid biofuel storage I wonder maybe they should make trees worth more wood. When you can clear cut huge sections of the plains or forest with the chainsaw and just scrap by while some idiot can go pull scrub in the desert with his hands and have more than they'll ever need.

Unhappy Meal fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 24, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

LonsomeSon posted:

Thing is that if you go with the first option, that increased capacity is there for the rest of the game, ideally feeding into a storage can until that fills up and the whole line goes idle. Next time you need wodgets or squickydoos you can just grab six stacks and that empty space will probably be refilled by products on belts and in output hoppers within minutes.

I definitely do pick something I can handcraft quite a few of and leave a rock on my spacebar if I'm going to go do something else, but once I've slipped the surly bonds of biomass power and my factory starts really expanding in size, it's definitely going to produce a lot more of X than I will on the crafting bench in the same time period, unless my supply chain for X is a can-fed initial underbuild or has a serious problem somewhere in its dependencies.

Basically, build more factory in the factory-building game. I promise it's worth it.

I just don't like making unnecessary things when I just want to make my factory the way I want to make it. Now that I have smart splitters again, I can do that. Smart splitters don't work exactly the way I wish they did, but they are a lot more useful than they were the first time I played this game. There's no way to only send the filtered item out the specific exit and then overflow when it is blocked, but you can just set one exit to anything and it will just alternate between them. This is good enough for my generic factory. I send my materials out onto the belt and each machine grabs what it needs and the rest keeps on flowing. The only part where this is a problem is my automatic sorting belts. My only option is to set the exits on the smart splitters to any, and then it splits the outputs and it takes exponentially longer for everything to eventually filter into its storage, or set the exit to any unfiltered, which will block if a storage container gets full. In any case, this at least lets me continue building the factory I want to build.

Also, I didn't realize that you can just drop an item on the ground. So now I label all my storage containers by dropping one of the item it stores on top for easy reference.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Unhappy Meal posted:

As I look up at my three story solid biofuel storage I wonder maybe they should make trees worth more wood. When you can clear cut huge sections of the plains or forest with the chainsaw and just scrap by while some idiot can go pull scrub in the desert with his hands and have more than they'll ever need.

I hope they eventually let us do treefarms and replant trees/bushes/etc in the wild.

Why yes, I want bobs+angels (and maybe a seablock equivalent) in Satisfactory.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

I just don't like making unnecessary things when I just want to make my factory the way I want to make it. Now that I have smart splitters again, I can do that. Smart splitters don't work exactly the way I wish they did, but they are a lot more useful than they were the first time I played this game. There's no way to only send the filtered item out the specific exit and then overflow when it is blocked, but you can just set one exit to anything and it will just alternate between them. This is good enough for my generic factory. I send my materials out onto the belt and each machine grabs what it needs and the rest keeps on flowing. The only part where this is a problem is my automatic sorting belts. My only option is to set the exits on the smart splitters to any, and then it splits the outputs and it takes exponentially longer for everything to eventually filter into its storage, or set the exit to any unfiltered, which will block if a storage container gets full. In any case, this at least lets me continue building the factory I want to build.

Also, I didn't realize that you can just drop an item on the ground. So now I label all my storage containers by dropping one of the item it stores on top for easy reference.

I've always done this by running the smallest piece of belt out of the container, but I think that with all the new cosmetic items there must be a nicer way of doing things now

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
I'm just checking here to be sure, but I'm right in thinking there's no way in the game right now to automatically put down conveyer belts with the stackable conveyer pole attached to it right? It seems like a very simple quality of life issue that I wish they would implement. Also, give us conveyer poles that attach to ceilings.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

kanonvandekempen posted:

I'm just checking here to be sure, but I'm right in thinking there's no way in the game right now to automatically put down conveyer belts with the stackable conveyer pole attached to it right? It seems like a very simple quality of life issue that I wish they would implement. Also, give us conveyer poles that attach to ceilings.

No, though I'm not sure when you'd want a stackable pole without caring enough about where it is to place it first?

I do wish stackable poles would snap to regular poles though. Also that stackable conveyor poles and stackable pipe supports could be mixed, they have the same dimensions...

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Tenebrais posted:

No, though I'm not sure when you'd want a stackable pole without caring enough about where it is to place it first?

I do wish stackable poles would snap to regular poles though. Also that stackable conveyor poles and stackable pipe supports could be mixed, they have the same dimensions...

If I wsnt to make a run of conveyor belts across the landscape, I have to start placing a conveyor belt, see where the max length is, then stop placing the belt, then place a stackable pole in approximately the right spot, then snipe the distant pole and drag a belt to the new one.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Liquid Biofuel is an awful lot of effort. I've been deforesting a few regions and figured might as well put it to use, right?

Needs two refineries, three constructors, one water extractor, and 3 plastic per container. 132W of power and a decent amount of plastic to make this poo poo.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Vasudus posted:

Liquid Biofuel is an awful lot of effort. I've been deforesting a few regions and figured might as well put it to use, right?

Needs two refineries, three constructors, one water extractor, and 3 plastic per container. 132W of power and a decent amount of plastic to make this poo poo.

Yeah, I got to liquid Biofuel and looked at it for a second, and then looked at coal power which I started 2 tiers ago, and was very very confused. The wiki says the biomass burner can use it so maaaaybe there's an extremely niche use for setting up a temporary base with as few inventory slots needed as possible?

Started painting stuff to help me identify my production lines last night and until they offer a way to generate flower petals I think the cartridges need to be waaay bigger or removed. Like, if you want to make me build a production line for color cartridges I'm totally fine with that but it can't be automated at the moment which is no good. Also please for the love of god make the guns reload with a click instead of needing the press the R key :argh:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

How dense is biofuel now as opposed to pellets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I don’t know, I haven’t used it yet. I’m going to use it for my truck when I’m farting around inside my base. For the effort it had better match regular fuel at least I hope. I guess the appeal is it’s a fuel source made outside your oil chain.

I had a stack of 85 batteries I got super early on from crash sites and I’m finally down to my last dozen after using it on my explorer all game. I’m about to get turbo fuel production online though :getin:

Can the jetpack use turbo fuel yet or is it still limited to regular fuel because reasons?