Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I haven't checked out pole lengths but is there anything from TarpTent that might be smaller/fit the bike packing rig better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

Levitate posted:

I haven't checked out pole lengths but is there anything from TarpTent that might be smaller/fit the bike packing rig better?

I liked my double rainbow from tarptent when I had it and it fit vertical in my rear ortlieb panniers fairly easily. They do sell a pole pouch which you can strap to your bike and just stuff the tent body in any bag. It's a nice solution if your looking for a more bikepacking setup.

https://www.tarptent.com/product/polepouch/

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

n8r posted:

I am planning on doing some bikepacking this year. Unless you buy a $300 Big Agnes tent with short poles, the standard length of most tents ~18" isn't a great form factor for carrying on a bike. I've decided that I will just tarp camp, or use hammock if the conditions merit. Anyone have recommendations for a hammock? I'm looking to be a cheapass here, so does random Amazon no name brand with a thousand fake reviews work?

I used the marmot tungsten 1p for my bikepacking trip from Ukraine to Portugal this past summer. it was 20" in length all packed up but it fit on top of my rear rack no problem. tent was fantastic, durable, and the green moss color made stealth camping a breeze - sometimes I couldn't even find it

https://www.marmot.com/tungsten-1-person-tent-29160.html

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anyone got any experience with getting their hands on Real Turmat meals? Looks to be a highly regarded option but they appear to have no presence in the US.

Not sure it's worth the additional cost of ordering internationally but if it's good enough it might be worth an occasional splurge.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I think once I deplete my stock of prepared packaged food I'm just going with TVP/dehydrated beans/rice + seasoning of my own devising. It's so much cheaper and lets me make more varied vegetarian meals.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Chard posted:

I think once I deplete my stock of prepared packaged food I'm just going with TVP/dehydrated beans/rice + seasoning of my own devising. It's so much cheaper and lets me make more varied vegetarian meals.

I'm going to experiment with bulgur wheat before my next time out, in hopes of something similar. Being parboiled it should cook pretty fast, and between dried mushroom & gravy, or powdered milk and dried fruit, I think I should be able to get something palatable and a hell of a lot cheaper than Mountain House.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

I'm going to experiment with bulgur wheat before my next time out, in hopes of something similar. Being parboiled it should cook pretty fast, and between dried mushroom & gravy, or powdered milk and dried fruit, I think I should be able to get something palatable and a hell of a lot cheaper than Mountain House.

what i should probably eventually do is bite the bullet and get a dehydrator so i can put real veg in there. making ~gourmet~ cheese powder would also be fun

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Chard posted:

Beans and rice is my staple, but cooking in a bag has huge advantages when it comes to cleanup time.

(but cooking in the pot isn't annoying enough to actually buy my own bags I could cook in)

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I really don't want to deal with the shits from an all bean and tvp diet in the middle of the woods and without access to some sort of Japanese future bidet

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

If you don’t have a dehydrator yet you should definitely grab one. I’ve been able to make better-tasting and healthier meals for a fraction of the cost. Just make sure you buy a coffee or spice grinder to go along with it if you’re dehydrating things like sauces - I learned the hard way that if you turn a tomato sauce into a leather and leave it that way it doesn’t really reconstitute :(

Also keep in mind that it may take a little experimenting to find the right balance when dehydrating, so you should try making a few meals well in advance of a trip. When I first started I made a big batch and pulled out smaller samples as it went along to see how well they kept and rehydrated. There’s nothing worse than sitting down to a meal on the trail and finding that half of the bits in it are still rock hard.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Chard posted:

what i should probably eventually do is bite the bullet and get a dehydrator so i can put real veg in there. making ~gourmet~ cheese powder would also be fun
I borrowed a dehydrator once to do this. It was fun making a bunch of different meals once, but it really was too much effort for me to continue bothering with.

Now I just use a dried vegetable soup mix from the bulk bins at my grocery store.

Clark Nova posted:

I really don't want to deal with the shits from an all bean and tvp diet in the middle of the woods and without access to some sort of Japanese future bidet
I don't think beans and TVP would cause much of a problem in that regard beyond the usual issues of guts adjusting to a change in diet. I think eating fist fulls of nuts and trail mix will cause more of a problem there.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 22, 2020

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I think my last trip made me give up on the store bought prepared dehydrated meals. They all taste the same now and I think they're the cause of my stomach deciding to eat itself the last two trips. I think if I make my own I can make sure what I'm eating actually tastes different each night.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Clark Nova posted:

Well look no further friend:
https://www.garagegrowngear.com/products/portable-bidet-by-culoclean?_pos=1&_sid=04e0ebe6f&_ss=r

I have one of these and have used it on trail. Takes a bit of practice but once you have a squeaky clean pooper on the trail you'll never want to go back.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

CopperHound posted:

I don't think beans and TVP would cause much of a problem in that regard beyond the usual issues of guts adjusting to a change in diet. I think eating fist fulls of nuts and trail mix will cause more of a problem there.
:staredog: I don't claim to be a human and I do eat tofu, but if I ate beans, rice, and tvp, I doubt I could hike at all let alone succeed at going to the bathroom on the trail. I'd probably need airlifted when the hernia repair blows out. Nuts, chocolate chips, a granola bar or two, unleavened crackers, peanut oil, I can handle and process for days.

When you give up on Mountain House, keep the bags, then you don't need to buy boil-safe bags. I keep the bags so I can split the meals in half. A couple days after Thanksgiving I threw some stuffing mix and turkey chunks in one and went up in the snow to observe the holiday.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I’ve done sauce leather and it reconstitutes fine

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Well look no further friend:
https://www.garagegrowngear.com/products/portable-bidet-by-culoclean?_pos=1&_sid=04e0ebe6f&_ss=r

I have one of these and have used it on trail. Takes a bit of practice but once you have a squeaky clean pooper on the trail you'll never want to go back.

This looks cool and probably works way better then the failed attempt I subjected myself to rear end blast with the sawyer back flush syringe. Obviously did not use it after.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
We dehydrate all of our meals save the first night special where we'll have something like steaks. It's loving awesome and we eat so much better since we've started on it. Nothing like a bowl of chili after a long, bitter cold day.

If you do ground beef make sure to let it get a good soaking. We'll usually fill the containers with water at lunch to help it along. They call it gravel for a reason and the first time we tried it, it came out that way too! Out of our butts, if that's not clear

Math You fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Feb 23, 2020

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

We once accidentally put two servings of spaghetti sauce leather into a meal and it was the equivalent of eating an entire jar of spaghetti sauce in one go. We ate it anyways because calories but spaghetti sauce poops sure are something

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

Math You posted:

We dehydrate all of our meals save the first night special where we'll have something like steaks. It's loving awesome and we eat so much better since we've started on it. Nothing like a bowl of chili after a long, bitter cold day.

If you do ground beef make sure to let it get a good soaking. We'll usually fill the containers with water at lunch to help it along. They call it gravel for a reason and the first time we tried it, it came out that way too! Out of our butts, if that's not clear

I've had good luck with beef and chicken by cooking it until it falls apart (either in the slow cooker or pressure cooker), shredding it, and then dehydrating it. It rehydrates way faster and is about the same consistency as before dehydrating it.

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.
Does anyone have any recommendations for camping/hiking in the Banff area during summer? Or anything in the Calgary area?

I have 10 days free July 6th to 15th. Visiting the US for a wedding but would like to visit Canada as well while we're in NA. We have no flights booked yet so we can go anywhere, but our rough plan is to hire a car and do a bit of a tour, staying 1-2 nights in different places.

We will have appropriate gear for doing overnight hikes for anything non-snowy (10C+), but also happy to just park our hire car somewhere and do long day walks. Am I way past the date of being able to book anything good? I'm aware this is peak tourist season but anywhere that's likely to be out of the way and less populated would be ideal. I don't mind other hikers, but would like to dodge crowds of families and winnebagos if at all possible.

Any tips appreciated, thanks.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Banff is gorgeous but way too crowded.. wife and I did it last summer and found it impossible to have fun in that area. Similar issues along the Icefield parkway all the way to Jasper. It's endless tour buses disgorging people onto all the postcard locations.

The good news is that enjoyable stuff is pretty close by. Kananaskis is tremendous, Yoho valley is tremendous, and if you want a multiple night trip both Assiniboine and Tonquin valleys are also great. Lake O'Hara if you can finagle a reservation. It's difficult to get in. Look at Mt Robson too.

You'll still see plenty of people, but once you peel away from Banff the majority is going to be locals. The number of trails that wind off into the mountains along route 742 and 40 are basically unlimited.

If you want a roof over your head for a night or two, the Engadine lodge is worth a look.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

incogneato posted:

I'm not an expert in hiking boots, but since no one has answered your Danner question: I personally wouldn't get hung up on a certain brand just due to a coupon. Try on a lot and see what feels good for you. Lighter and quicker drying are definitely preferred by most people these days (often sold as trail runners or close to that). A good pair of boots that works for your feet is pretty important. Blisters suck.

I don't really know Danner as a brand, except I thought they were associated more with heavy traditional leather boots. I could be wrong, maybe they have other styles. Personally I wouldn't want to backpack or even long day hike in something like that, but I'm sure some people do.
I do a lot of cross country motorcycle/hiking trips and because space and weight are limited, I use one pair of boots for both activities: Danner fort lewis. They are heavy leather combat boots, and I’m sure everyone one in this thread would hate them, but I’ve done up to 25 mile day hikes in them without issue. With superfeet insoles, I don’t really notice the weight.

Also, the last pair I had for 10 years was replaced by goretex under warranty after they started letting water in, which is a thing everyone should do if they buy goretex stuff.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Screama posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for camping/hiking in the Banff area during summer? Or anything in the Calgary area?

I have 10 days free July 6th to 15th. Visiting the US for a wedding but would like to visit Canada as well while we're in NA. We have no flights booked yet so we can go anywhere, but our rough plan is to hire a car and do a bit of a tour, staying 1-2 nights in different places.

We will have appropriate gear for doing overnight hikes for anything non-snowy (10C+), but also happy to just park our hire car somewhere and do long day walks. Am I way past the date of being able to book anything good? I'm aware this is peak tourist season but anywhere that's likely to be out of the way and less populated would be ideal. I don't mind other hikers, but would like to dodge crowds of families and winnebagos if at all possible.

Any tips appreciated, thanks.

Kananaskis rules, there's a lot of absolutely beautiful hikes in there, check 'em out in All Trails.

I'd also recommend getting to Yoho; it's another hour of driving to get to, but Iceline Trail is my favorite trail ever. There's a hostel and some back country campgrounds along the route but I'm not sure how soon you have to book.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Alamoduh posted:

I do a lot of cross country motorcycle/hiking trips and because space and weight are limited, I use one pair of boots for both activities: Danner fort lewis. They are heavy leather combat boots, and I’m sure everyone one in this thread would hate them, but I’ve done up to 25 mile day hikes in them without issue. With superfeet insoles, I don’t really notice the weight.

Also, the last pair I had for 10 years was replaced by goretex under warranty after they started letting water in, which is a thing everyone should do if they buy goretex stuff.

I'm okay with this. They make good boots and I used to wear 9" high boots for hiking. Over the years I progressively went to shorter boots then eventually things more "3 season".

Considering the resulting medical issues, I should have stuck with the more rugged boots. I'm using my mountaineering boots for all hikes now.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

How realistic of a chance do I have getting permits for Glacier for 8/30 - 9/4 for the NE section of the park? Looking at Cosley Lake, Stoney Indian Pass, Waterton Lake, Brown Pass, and Brown Lake.

I'm hoping that its toward the end of the season so we'll have a good shot. I'm also struggling with coming up with solid backup plans. We'd ideally spend 3-4 nights solid in the backcountry without hitting a road or ranger station. Nyack kind of looks cool, so maybe we could spend a day or two there. Trying to avoid the areas that got hit in the fires a few years back too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

BaseballPCHiker posted:

How realistic of a chance do I have getting permits for Glacier for 8/30 - 9/4 for the NE section of the park? Looking at Cosley Lake, Stoney Indian Pass, Waterton Lake, Brown Pass, and Brown Lake.

I'm hoping that its toward the end of the season so we'll have a good shot. I'm also struggling with coming up with solid backup plans. We'd ideally spend 3-4 nights solid in the backcountry without hitting a road or ranger station. Nyack kind of looks cool, so maybe we could spend a day or two there. Trying to avoid the areas that got hit in the fires a few years back too.

Look at the Bob Marshall as a backup. The rocky mountain front is stunning and you can get as far away from civilization as your comfort levels allow. Sun River and Swift reservoir would be my first picks for places to park but that's mostly because I'm familiar with them and don't know about the other trailheads. :angel:

The chinese wall is a place I must hike through someday. The photos make it look staggering. The big river meadows hike is another must-do: http://earmountain.com/page/bigchoteaucam/bigbigrivermeadows.html

If you have the patience to read a lot of blog posts, check this guy out: http://outtherewithtom.blogspot.com/ He's a montana native that has been all the hell over that place and has years of trip reports.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My buddy has never been to Denver before and we’re going in a few weeks. Can anyone recommend a hike that’s 3-6 miles, not too bad for someone who doesn’t do it much but with a great view? We don’t mind driving an hour.

I have a good list already from AllTrails but I value goon input.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Screama posted:

Picnic Princess lives (or used to live) around there IIRC, and might be willing to give you some pointers if you shoot her a PM. I haven't seen her in the camping threads recently, but then again I haven't been around either.

RobotRob
Aug 7, 2007

Let's get weird, but not end of BSG weird.

Rolo posted:

My buddy has never been to Denver before and we’re going in a few weeks. Can anyone recommend a hike that’s 3-6 miles, not too bad for someone who doesn’t do it much but with a great view? We don’t mind driving an hour.

I have a good list already from AllTrails but I value goon input.

I enjoy chief mountain and feel it fits that criteria. I'm not sure what it's like in March but I've done it in December with just some microspikes.

Hackjack
Apr 1, 2013
Hey winter camping Goons,

A store near me has North Face winter tents on sale. They’ve got the Mountain 25 (2-person), VE 25 (3-person), and the Bastion 4 (4-person) available for $100 instead of the usual $600-$800. It’s the old model (I believe something newer is coming out in 2020).

If anybody is interested, let me know and I can go back and pick them up for you and send to you for cost+shipping.

Cheers!

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I should be better with my money but I'm interested in either the 2 (preferred) or 3-person. That's a smoking deal. If not to much trouble.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Yeah I'd buy that 4 person and venmo you as well, if you are offering.

Hackjack
Apr 1, 2013
PMed you both!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Does anyone have any resources they could point me to on outdoor photography?

I want to get better pictures out of my trips but dont want to pull the trigger on an expensive DSLR. I was thinking about getting those Moment Lenses that clip onto a special case for your iPhone but it occurred to me that I should learn how to use a tool before I upgrade a tool.

I'm mostly interested in getting better landscape and night photos if it makes a huge difference.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Night photos on a phone will always suffer because of the sensor sizes (bigger is always better). The night modes that phones have now help a lot but I don't think it's there yet.

For everything else, conditions when you shoot is way more significant than your gear.. if you shoot in bad light (clear skies at high noon) the photo will always look bad. So spending some time educating yourself is definitely the way to go. Do YouTube searches for landscape photography or if you want books "Understanding Exposure" by Brian Peterson is a good newbie option. Or "The Art of Photography" by Bruce Barnbaum if you want a more in depth artsy fartsy option.

The moment lenses do review well, but don't think of them as making better pictures. They just adjust the zoom so you better can pick and choose what elements to keep in the photo.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll see if I can get those books from the library this week and give YouTube a try as well.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Does anyone have any resources they could point me to on outdoor photography?

I want to get better pictures out of my trips but dont want to pull the trigger on an expensive DSLR. I was thinking about getting those Moment Lenses that clip onto a special case for your iPhone but it occurred to me that I should learn how to use a tool before I upgrade a tool.

I'm mostly interested in getting better landscape and night photos if it makes a huge difference.

A used Canon DSLR and a 24mm f/2.8 pancake lens lens will be affordable, light and small, and infinitely better than any phone for landscape and night photos. An Sl1 body and the pancake lens is probably around $250 used and will be a killer setup for you.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Most night time photography benefits from a tripod. Having a stable shooting platform for long exposures is critical. These night shot modes aren't magical, you still need to be really still. Before you start spending money on phone lenses or other gear that you might outgrow the second you start getting into it, look into photos that you like and try to figure out why you like them. Read the aforementioned book/s. Photography is one of those hobbies that can turn into a money pit real quick and people will literally throw tens of thousands of dollars into gear and wonder why their photos look like rear end.

Also, cameras don't need to be expensive. You can pick up perfectly good DSLRs or mirrorless options that might be a generation old for pretty cheap. You could buy a canon 50D for less than $200, probably with a lens and extra batteries.

I've actually stopped carrying my big cameras on most hikes unless they're special trips that I really want to shoot on. I mostly carry my RX100ii which is just a small point and shoot with manual controls that takes great photos and shoots raw. Its smaller, lighter, and does mostly what I want without weighing 15 lbs.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Verman posted:

look into photos that you like and try to figure out why you like them.

I have no idea the why or how of a good picture but I know one when I see it. For most of my hikes I just carry my iphone and occasionally take a great photo, but I really couldn't explain why. I've got a DSLR but am always afraid of breaking it/getting it wet/loving it up somehow. How robust are they? Last time I was on Isle Royale I saw a dude with a huge gently caress off camera in the pouring rain and he didn't really seem to give a poo poo about it getting wet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Yooper posted:

I have no idea the why or how of a good picture but I know one when I see it. For most of my hikes I just carry my iphone and occasionally take a great photo, but I really couldn't explain why. I've got a DSLR but am always afraid of breaking it/getting it wet/loving it up somehow. How robust are they? Last time I was on Isle Royale I saw a dude with a huge gently caress off camera in the pouring rain and he didn't really seem to give a poo poo about it getting wet.

Depends on the camera and the lens. Professional level DSLR bodies and lenses usually have some amount of weather sealing that can handle being out in the rain. Cheaper consumer and prosumer models usually don't have any/as much weather sealing.