Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Really, the thread never had a ghost of a chance. Tombs out that goons and puns go together like ghouls and goblins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Anias posted:

Are you feeling all wight?

I already did that one. Even the puns themselves are refusing to stay dead!

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.

Slaan posted:

Really, the thread never had a ghost of a chance. Tombs out that goons and puns go together like ghouls and goblins

I'd advise you to not find such humours in such a grave situation. Though I must admit, this wit is great brain food, which makes this a morally gray matter.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

DGM_2 posted:

Okay - I admit to my own share of guilt here, but for the love of God, Chokes, post a new update already so we can bury the undead puns and move on to new torments.

if we dont move on to new torments soon, i'm gonna have to introduce my own: pictures of local yokels here in kansas wearing billowing cloths on their backs

you heard me right- i'm threatening plains cape torment

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:

Peanut Butler posted:

if we dont move on to new torments soon, i'm gonna have to introduce my own: pictures of local yokels here in kansas wearing billowing cloths on their backs

Bravo, sir or madam, bravo.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Peanut Butler posted:

I'm pretty sure that torturing gags violates the Geneva Convention.

What a ghastly bit of wordplay that was.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
[prepares a giant canister of Wight Guard deodorant in case the puns continue] This brand’s straight from Dragon magazine, folks. Sorry, it ain’t something I thought up first.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Peanut Butler posted:

The worst part is knowing that I'm the one who enabled you.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

achtungnight posted:

[prepares a giant canister of Wight Guard deodorant in case the puns continue]

Maybe we should ask the mods to hit these puns with some wight-out instead.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Chokes McGee posted:

I keep hitting the space where my cspam sixer button is on this post but it’s not working why isn’t it working

I got you.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

DGM_2 posted:

Maybe we should ask the mods to hit these puns with some wight-out instead.

Comedy is dead.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

DGM_2 posted:

The worst part is knowing that I'm the one who enabled you.

:ocelot: :kiddo:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
jesus loving CHRIST, you guys. I'm enthralled by how bad these wight puns are.

oh and here's an update

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Pool of Radiance, Chapter 16: High Stakes Combat

Welcome back to the Gold Box Adventures and the spine tingling conclusion of Valhingen Graveyard! If your spine is actually tingling, please see a doctor immediately. I know we like to joke around here, but nerve damage is no laughing matter.

Anyway, you may or may not remember us clearing out three of four zones so far. If you don't, that's okay. Our party doesn't, either. Regardless, we have one zone left to clear, and then it's off to our first official big boss! Not the one with the eyepatch. I mean, presumably. You can't ever be sure with Kojima.

(No Girls or Priests Allowed!)

Hmm.

Ugh. This is a long one. *writes*

Journal Entry 43 posted:

A loosely wrapped scroll.

"Armalg-the-Good, paladin and brother of Taimalg-the-Invincible, and Sarasim of Teshwave, the high priestess of Sune, attacked the denziens of the Valhingen Graveyard with a holy vengeance. They came in search of Taimalg and his mercenary band, who assaulted the graveyard and did not return.

"Sarasim used her holy power to dissipate and turn the undead that confronted them. Aramalg wielded his vorpal sword and slew the few that fought her power.

"Together, Aramalg and Sarasim penetrated the graveyard to an evil marble crypt. They found and splintered an empty coffin, blessing the remains and sprinkling it with holy water. Then they confronted the owner of the coffin, a creature of great evil and the leader of the undead in Valhingen, an ancient vampire. The three began a furious melee.

"The vampire was swayed by Aramalg and Sarasim's power, but would not be turned. The vampire shouted, 'I have defeated Taimalg and his warriors, I will defeat the brother of Taimalg as well!'

"The vampire summoned an army of rats and tried to charm Sarasim to his side, but to no avail. Sarasim resisted his charm and Aramalg charged through the massed vermin. The vampire fell before the might blows of Aramalg's holy sword and Sarasim's enchanted mace.

"Defeated, the ancient vampire dissolved into gas and fled to his coffin. Finding the coffin destroyed he returned to solid form and screamed. Seizing the moment Aramalg grabbed the vampire and held him with all of his strength. Sarasim ran up and drove an oaken stake through the vampire's heart.
"Aramalg and Sarasim performed the proper rituals to banish the vampire forever. Then, wounded, Aramalg and Sarasim left Valhingen Graveyard. It was beyond their power to completely cleanse the evil place, but they had extracted proper vengeance for the death of Tiamalg and his troops."

So that's who's causin' all this ruckus.

Nice of them to leave an instruction manual.

Yes. It does make life quite a bit easier.

:thunkher:

There. That should do the trick.

You guys! I know this is going to sound crazy, but I think there's a vampire in the graveyard!

That does sound crazy. That's crazy, Heather. You're crazy.

But...

CRAZY

Welp, didn't take long to find our culprit. You'll note his hangout is in the shape of a cross which... raises more questions than answers, quite frankly. This whole section is kind of dodgy as far as undead lore goes. Some of that may be due to first edition D&D, whose sole motivation for undead monsters was "gently caress you and the horses you literally rode in on."

One thing at a time, though. We have to clean out this last sector, and I've got good news and bad news.

BEEBEEBEEBEE

What the heck is that?

I dunno. Somebody have a radar or somethin'?

We're stranded in a backwoods fantasy world that hasn't even invented the steam engine. Nobody's going to have that kind of tech just lying around.

OMIGOD THE PKE METER IS OFF THE CHARTS

Why do I bother?

Beats me!

THEY'RE EVERYWHERE GAME OVER MAN GAME OVER

Uh... Heather? You know that's a crossbow without a drawstring. Right?

BEEBEEBEEBEE

Well, at least we know where the noise is coming from.

The bad news is, our final zone is the Spectre Zone.

...you two got more coming, or...?

Hell yeah we do! Just wait until our friends from the monster factories show up!

Who wants to break the news?

Ooh! Me! Me!

The good news is, we've killed a bunch of spectres already. The entire pool will be exhausted after we banish these two dorks from the Material Plane.

freaky ghost sword~

freaky ghost man~

freaky man baby~

:grin:

lemme tell you somethin people

?

BUSTIN' MAKES ME FEEL GOOD

What in the world is going on? Is this actually happening? Am I having a stroke?

I'unno. Maybe?

Now that that's over with, the graveyard should be clear. Assuming we're not stupid enough to plunk down in the middle of the graveyard and memorize spells which of course would get us attacked by 15 ghouls and is something insanely stupid that I would never do never YOU HEAR ME NEVER

uh. where was I

Oh, right. Now that we've cleaned out all the zones, we can wander with impunity. The graveyard won't be flagged as done until we finish our Van Helsing cosplay, but at least we can explore without looking over our shoulder.

For instance: check out this tower! It's a rare example of a non-boobytrapped building filled with good peeps.

Lay it on us. :c00l:

Look at dat loot

look at it

Check out dat loot

check it out

GET A LOAD OF DAT LOOT

GET A LOAD OF IT

WOOO

WOO HOO

WOOO

YEEEAH

Rez and Sternn are right: the loot here is top shelf. First, the Plate Mail is Plate Mail +2, i.e. the best armor available in PoR. It has the max movement of banded mail (9 squares) plus protection above and beyond regular plate. There's a lot of love about it.

The long sword's a Long Sword +2, which is also a pretty big deal. In case you haven't figured it out, we're in the crypt of the vampire hunter dudes from a little while ago. The Long Sword +2 is called a vorpal sword in the Journal Entry, but that's a filthy goddamn lie. Vorpal swords are the atomic bomb of D&D handheld weapons because they'll just lop limbs heads off sometimes, like oops hit a natural 20 your arm's head's gone! Sorry not sorry! No, this isn't a vorpal sword. And also, there's some... complications.

* thanks to ManxomeBromide for pointing out my ignorance on this

Heh. I'm going to own so many people with this thing.

BZZZZZZT

Huh. Didn't know you could put a joy buzzer in a sword hilt.

ow

This may not be a vorpal sword, but it is attuned to Lawful Good. If anyone tries to equip that it isn't Lawful Good, they'll immediately eat 15 points of damage and the weapon will unequip itself.

As the only Lawful Good fighter on the team, Justine gets it by default. All that time being the constantly ignored voice of sanity finally pays off. In this sword. Which I'm sure makes up for fifteen years of her blood pressure constantly spiking to 160/100.

If we're going to go vampire hunting, we better top off our spells.

Is that a good idea? We just fnished clearing out the graveyard.

It'll be fine! All the switches are off.

Assuming someone didn't turn them back on accidentally!

Which I didn't!

No, seriously. I didn't.

Sternn, if I see one more goddamn spectre when we get back...

Hey, who's that?

:toughguy:

:ohdear:

Calm down. He's still alive.

Foul curse, huh.

Aye, the foulest!

So, Renfield here is working for the vampire. Right?

Totally.

Get lost, pencilneck.

Well, you have to admire his chutzpah.

You do?

No.

This mage is a vampiric thrall and the world's most obvious trap. If you follow his directions, he'll lead you to his boss' secret hideout, but he'll also join the fight afterwards. There is a large difference between a Level 6 magic user with his vampire boss and a dumbass attacking six people all by his lonesome. Since Chokes Has Played the Game Before™, I already know where the vampire is, so we don't need this guy at all.

Our reward for punching his lights out is a Ring of Protection +2. It's not the most exciting loot in the world, but we need all the resistance we can get. For instance, to block Charm Person. No reason I'm mentioning this. Just throwing it out there as an example.

A quick trip out and back, and we're at full strength and ready to rock. As noted earlier, we switched off all the available switches, which means we won't get any random att—

quote:

Looks like they're all distracted. Do your thing.

You know this isn't a safe. Right?

You getting cold feet on me, Hanover?

:shrug:

*spin whirl clunk*

There you go.

Heh. The long con is finally paying off.

It sure is, boss. It sure is.

GODDAMMIT STERNN

:ocelot::grin:

Okay, other than these guys, we won't get any random attacks. This is actually a scripted fight that I missed, and since the associated zones have been cleaned out, it's laughable—once we kill the wight, which we do immediately. It does require another camping trip afterwards. Let's try this one more time...

Well, this is the only place left to check...

Um, that's a wall? We can't go through it?

RRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHH *smash*

How did you not see that coming?

Heather's pattern recognition is, how shall we say, "not so good."

Hey, guys! Someone broke down a wall while we weren't looking. How convenient is that?

We've got some real dum-dums in this party, huh.

Your fault. Not ours.

Harsh, but fair.

velcooooome to your d—

ACK ARGH TURN OUT THE LIGHT

Ha! Do you think we'd fall for that?

My bad, let me get that.

WAIT NO

Hey! Thanks, bro!

Glad to be of service! :thumbsup:

I mean, I still have to kill you. But I do appreciate it!

So, D&D vampires. They're only one or two steps away from the top of the "undead you don't want to gently caress with" scale. First up, they come with all the usual fixins': blood drain, mist form, bat form, control over creepy crawlies and wolves, etc. Combat wise, they're threshing machines and a massive headache.

Next, they drain levels, because of course they do. Two per hit, just like a spectre or wraith. To recap: our guys can be hit about 3 times max before they're reduced to a jar of ashes. We would rather that not happen, so Prayer and Bless are a necessity. We toss out our healing spells in favor of Protection from Evil, too. The resistance and AC bonuses against our new friend here are a necessity. You do not want this fight lasting long, because this will happen:

PREPARE FOR SECOND DEATH, COWARD

Has anyone ever told you your eyes are really pretty when you're in a bezerker rage? :kiddo:

Aw, thanks! It's the mascara.

Mine needs updating. You gotta share your secrets with me. Hey, can you kill your friends while we're at it?

No problem! :razz:

Honestly. Have you no shame?

Nope. You?

Once per round, a vampire will use a gaze attack in addition to his normal action. Blow your savings throw, and the computer gets a brand new character to club you over the head with. Your guys are probably armed to the teeth at this point, so this is not a good thing to have happen. Unlike other RPGs, punching someone once won't bring them back to their senses. Your options are to knock your friend out the hard way, Charm them back (lol), or cast Dispel Magic. DM is already essential as a Hold Person counter, but it also gets rid of Charm, which is one more reason to keep as many memorized as you can. As the series progresses, we'll see even more things it will counter. In fact, I think the :sandance:DREADED MUMMY DISEASE:sandance: can be fixed with Dispel Magic. It's just a great Tier 3 spell all around.

Offensively, we're in a tight space, which is causing some problems. Fortunately, I came prepared.

Eat zap, jerko!

*bzzt* Ow!

"Ow?" He's trying to turn Heather into his own personal ninja assassin, and the best you can get out of him is ow?

Look, if I cast a fireball in here, I'm going to blow everyone up. Us included.

That... wasn't really meant to be a choice.

Give me a sec. I'm thinking.

Lightning Bolt is a strange spell. Once you pick a spot, it travels in a straight line away from the caster and blasts everything it runs into. The real benefit is that you can reflect it off of walls to get a second hit on multiple targets. In addition, the damage for a single hit gets ludicrous at later levels. It's very much a boss-killer spell. However—and as stated in a previous update—my aim with Lightning Bolt sucks poo poo. Furthermore, there's not a lot of fights in PoR that will require one-on-one close quarters combat like this. Most of the time, we're better off throwing a couple of fireballs into a crowd and then cleaning up with paralytics.

Lightning Bolt can be devastating, but it also kills four, maybe five people tops if they're all mages and line up black ninja style. (And yes, this will absolutely happen. Repeatedly.) I'm a much bigger proponent of area effect over linear attacks. They're way lazier easier to plan.

This fight actually takes three tries to finish, by the way. The first ended with literally everyone in the party dead (as in, DEAD dead) except Rezen. As funny as that is, it makes life infinitely more irritating for me to undo, so I reloaded. On try #2, Hanover and Heather get Charmed and slaughter the rest of us. Try #3, and Shanna is able to break a couple of Charms with Dispel Magic before any damage is done. We apply Magic Missles and some elbow grease...

...and the rest is inevitable.

Victory! More importantly, loot! We get a Wand of Magic Missles, three healing potions, a Shield +1 that we don't even bother picking up, and more goddamn Restoration scrolls. I seriously think we picked up 25 of these things and used like 7 of them. At least it's funny!

:gas: PEACE MOTHERFUCKERS, VLAD OUT

...anybody else know he could do that?

I mean, now that I've seen it, it makes sense.

You guys. I know this is going to sound totally crazy, but—

CRAZY

Hush.

What if, the vampire, goes back to his coffin?

My God. She's onto something! :monocle:

The vampire, of course, isn't defeated. If we went back to Sasha, she wouldn't even acknowledge the work we've done. (I mean, more so than usual.) As Heather figured out, we need to chase him back to his dorm room and finish him.

Oh, what the—who trashed my apartment?!

Us again! :razz:

And it ain't the only thing we're gonna trash.

...I should've stayed in bed tonight. :smith:

If you sanctified the coffin, the vampire has a third of his hit poins and no backup. That's a way easier fight then... well, repeating the one you just finished. So, you'll want to do that.

(:siren: SPOILERS: There's another mission you can do which makes life easier during the vampire fight. We did not do that mission yet, so don't talk about it. Thank you.)

You ruined everything! My entire city's gone! The graveyard's empty again! I'm going to get evicted from my apartment!

"Your" apartment? Don't make me laugh. This is the church's holy ground.

I HAVE A LEASE FROM THE CHURCH, IT'S NOTARIZED AND EVERYTHING

...oh...

You even tore up my girlfriend's picture! Who does that?

That's your girlfriend? :stare:

Pfft, as if. She is so out of his league.

SHE'S CANADIAN OK I VISIT HER REGULARLY

lol okay buddy. nice cape btw, is that vinyl

IT'S LEATH—you know what? I don't have to deal with this, I'm a contractor. Deal's off. Put me back in the book. I'd rather deal with the Archon than these assholes.

Um. Who are you—

*bamf*

...are we the bad guys, Shanna?

Do you really want me to answer that?

...no.

And with that, Valhigan is finally clensed of its nonliving plague of filth! I'm sure that makes us heroes and not morally dubious thugs. *checks party's history* Yes, that seems right. Should be fine.

Back to town!

Omigod. Sasha's gonna be so totally happy when she finds out about this.

Heeeeey, Sasha. We killed a vampire. :grin:

I'm so totally happy about that.

Good job, I guess. Well, some kobolds need killing. Have fun.

THAT'S IT?!

No.

Your expression was pretty funny, though. Ha.

Was that a laugh? Do you actually laugh?

Oh, I laugh all the time. It's just when you aren't around. And at you. Speaking of which...

The councilman is interested in finding out how you've gotten this far. Also, some kobolds really are doing something somewhere. You should probably do something about that, or something.

You have our nonbinding agreement that we may or may not.

I appreciate that we can be honest with each other.

No you don't.

No. I don't.

So. The senior councilman of Phlan has an extremely delicate diplomatic mission.

Yup.

And he wants us for it.

Seems legit.

Hmm.

I dunno, it sounds pretty urgent. We can probably wring some good stuff out of him.

All of which means, of course, that we're going after the kob—

Exactly. The orc cleric!

What?

Next Time: Does What It Says On the Tin

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 4, 2020

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
The boss fight didn't seem that Vlad. I'm sure it sucked in the moment, but that's nothing to fang your head about

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Chokes McGee posted:

Vorpal swords are the atomic bomb of D&D handheld weapons because they'll just lop limbs off sometimes, like oops hit a natural 20 your arm's gone! Sorry not sorry!

That is the Sword of Sharpness, not the Vorpal Sword. The Vorpal Sword follows its source—when it goes snicker-snack, that's its head and assuming it has one and only has one, that's a one-shot kill.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Dark Queen of Krynn has a Vorpal Sword. That’s the only Gold Box game that does, I think.

The first time I played this, I thought the paladin and priestess mentioned in the journal entry already killed the vampire so I didn’t have to kill him again. It was quite irritating to find out I was wrong.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Slaan posted:

The boss fight didn't seem that Vlad. I'm sure it sucked in the moment, but that's nothing to fang your head about

I think we're done here.

no seriously it was fun but that seems like the right pun to leave off on, leave all graveyard puns behind from now on please and thank you~

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

ManxomeBromide posted:

That is the Sword of Sharpness, not the Vorpal Sword. The Vorpal Sword follows its source—when it goes snicker-snack, that's its head and assuming it has one and only has one, that's a one-shot kill.

Duly noted and updated with sources. A shameful D&D moment for me, choked again :negative:

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Don't let yourselves be held down by gravity.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.

Chokes McGee posted:

Welp, didn't take long to find our culprit. You'll note his hangout is in the shape of a cross which... raises more questions than answers, quite frankly. This whole section is kind of dodgy as far as undead lore goes. Some of that may be due to first edition D&D, whose sole motivation for undead monsters was "gently caress you and the horses you literally rode in on."

Scattering holy bits in the vampires coffin to negate it is pretty standard vampire lore (by which I mean Bram Stoker probably made it up), but I don't know what the game devs were on when they decided to put the coffin inside a giant stone cross. That's unique to the game, it was just a square black marble crypt in the module.

Speaking of, the module makes it more clear (to the DM, the players are expected to figure it out themselves) that the scroll and the broken crosses and holy water vials were all put there by the vampire himself to trick you into thinking that somebody beat you to the punch.

achtungnight posted:

The first time I played this, I thought the paladin and priestess mentioned in the journal entry already killed the vampire so I didn't have to kill him again. It was quite irritating to find out I was wrong.

Yeah, like that.

Choke's joke about he vampire being irritated by the light is kinda funny because in the module he turns on the lights himself when you enter his chamber. Then he welcomes you to his home, and then immediately lays into a random party member with his charm glare. If the wizard is with you, he nails as many targets as he can with Hold Person, after having activated several traps on the way to the vampire's lair, and then the fight starts. After you beat him, you have the choice to either loot the room or immediately chase after him, if you take the time to loot you get some decent treasure, but he has enough time to raise new spectres to replace the ones you killed, and they go back to raising skeletons, zombies, and wights.

The ghost that gives you treasure is actually cool and unique because he's a repeatable encounter. He's the ghost of a long dead knight who used to protect the city, and he gives out specific rewards depending on your class type, and any time you bring a new character to him, they get that reward as well, presumably as a means to help you re-equip new characters after your previous guy got his head ripped off. The downside is that you have to fight spectres every time you want to see him, with the size of the spectre mob increasing by 3 every visit.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Zushio posted:

Don't let yourselves be held down by gravity.

*eyes narrow; cursor hovers over probation button*

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I was trying to support the no more graveyard jokes. It originally said souls. Then I realized that wasn't helping.

Edit: It was meant as a free yourselves from your obsessions kinda thing.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Feb 23, 2020

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I tease, I tease! I just love joke probations.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Dash Rendar posted:

I tease, I tease! I just love joke probations.

If giving comedy sixers were a crime I'd already be convicted by the Hague

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Level-draining monsters are a war crime.

Even with easy access to restoration, in pen and paper all the loving associated book-keeping with rolling levels back and forth is just something I'd never countenance. Even though I regularly run 2E AD&D games my house rule is that level drainers are instead (temporary) stat drainers. Because I'm not a sociopath.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

How dare you do only a short little Bustin interlude. I had to finish it myself to feel good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tdyU_gW6WE

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

no seriously it was fun but that seems like the right pun to leave off on, leave all graveyard puns behind from now on please and thank you~

Duly noted and filed, with the explicit exception that when you run into a Lich (and I'm sure you will at some point just because of how iconic they are for D&D), you can probably expect some bad lich jokes. Not necessarily from me, just that lich is really easy to make puns with. And hopefully it'll be far enough into the future that everyone will have forgotten this warning.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

PurpleXVI posted:

Level-draining monsters are a war crime.

Even with easy access to restoration, in pen and paper all the loving associated book-keeping with rolling levels back and forth is just something I'd never countenance. Even though I regularly run 2E AD&D games my house rule is that level drainers are instead (temporary) stat drainers. Because I'm not a sociopath.

That second bit is the part that never gets discussed. Leveling in D&D games is enough of a hassle without having to occasionally undo it!

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Oh and I hope the unused secret method of debuffing the Vlad is puppet related.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Night10194 posted:

That second bit is the part that never gets discussed. Leveling in D&D games is enough of a hassle without having to occasionally undo it!
Which is why I think the 4e way of inflicting the Weakened status condition (you deal half damage) or just stealing healing surges is much better.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Can you charm someone who is already under the effects of a charm spell?

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

jesus loving CHRIST, you guys. I'm enthralled by how bad these wight puns are.

Well, we had to motivate you to update and finish off the graveyard somehow. What do you expect when you leave kids unsupervised for too long? :cheeky:

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Truthkeeper posted:

Speaking of, the module makes it more clear (to the DM, the players are expected to figure it out themselves) that the scroll and the broken crosses and holy water vials were all put there by the vampire himself to trick you into thinking that somebody beat you to the punch.

:raise:

But then he includes a demonstration of why you need to take out his coffin and accurate instructions on how to do so?

EDIT: I guess we can put it down to Vlad not being the brains of the Paper Sorcerer party. Thank goodness we weren't up against Frank or Willow.

DGM_2 fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Feb 23, 2020

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Randalor posted:

Can you charm someone who is already under the effects of a charm spell?

Yes. I think it works fine in this game, but sometimes stacked charm effects can end up setting a PC to hostile on a permanent basis.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

DGM_2 posted:

Well, we had to motivate you to update and finish off the graveyard somehow. What do you expect when you leave kids unsupervised for too long? :cheeky:

That was a pun, it was meant to be a stealth pun :(

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

DGM_2 posted:

:raise:

But then he includes a demonstration of why you need to take out his coffin and accurate instructions on how to do so?

EDIT: I guess we can put it down to Vlad not being the brains of the Paper Sorcerer party. Thank goodness we weren't up against Frank or Willow.

I'm not sure ANYONE was the brains of that party. I mean, Frank's good with numbers, but I've always seen him as Moltar incompetent---seems on top of things, but only because he gives the least amount of fucks compared to the people around him.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

That was a pun, it was meant to be a stealth pun :(

The "enthralled" bit? I did notice that, but when you declared a moratorium on undeath puns soon after I figured that you were genuinely sick of it and had chosen the word accidentally.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

I'm not sure ANYONE was the brains of that party.

I'm not saying that Frank and Willow are geniuses or anything. They just seem less likely to actively screw themselves over the way Vlad did there. For Llewyn and company, that's kinda like being the brains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

I'm not sure ANYONE was the brains of that party. I mean, Frank's good with numbers, but I've always seen him as Moltar incompetent---seems on top of things, but only because he gives the least amount of fucks compared to the people around him.

Wow, what's it do?

Its symbolic Frank, Things don't always have to do things. Now, help me plug it into the wall.