Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Randaconda posted:

He was leaving, and besides that, the fans always got sick of him real quick, I think it was because he was just mean a lot of the time, which was funny, but like... too mean? In comparison to Austin, who had to work like hell to get booed, even after his heel turn at WM17
I don't know about the latter half of that, if it was a case of people "getting sick of him real quick", he was a full blown babyface from April 1999 to April 2001 when he lost to a heel-turning Steve Austin. I don't remember him ever getting negative reactions for that whole time period, outside of maybe mixed reactions when he was feuding/making GBS threads on another babyface, and not so much even then.

Rock left after WM17 to to do the Scorpion King, and came back in the summer where he was once again pretty universally beloved, though again there were mixed reactions when he did his program with Chris Jericho which was designed to slowly turn Jericho heel.

The crowd definitely turned on him by default at Wrestlemania 18 but that was solely because he was up against Hollywood Hogan and everyone wanted Hulk Hogan back, which sounds crazy now but was 100% the crowd sentiment in 2002.

Right after WM19 is when the "you sold out" sentiment started. Rock was the #1 draft pick for Smackdown in the first brand split, where he appeared for two weeks and then took some time off for movies. He appeared once in May, once in June, and then came back in July to beat Kurt Angle for the world title and immediately build to a match against Brock Lesnar. This was when the writing was on the wall that he was a part-timer at best, and probably heading off to Hollywood full time, which made people start turning against him. At least online/in WON or whatever a lot of people knew that Summerslam was his last match for the foreseeable future, so people we booing him.

They were right in that he disappeared for the rest of the year, and came back for a few months in early 2003 working heel as Hollywood Rock before heading back to Hollywood more or less for good.

Maybe I'm missing something in the sort of post-Invasion part of WWE that I haven't re-watched in forever, but I don't remember anyone getting sick of him for the two years or so of consistent babyface reactions before that, which is ultimately basically half of his full-time wrestling career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

What is the best tag team match of all time?

Like 2 vs 2 only

It's certainly one of the Misawa/Kobashi vs Demon Army matches, the June 9th, 1995 match is my favourite

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

Coaaab posted:

in that vein, kobashi/kikuchi vs can-am express might have the best crowd ever, hell of a match too

I totally forgot about that one, and yeah that is easily a top 5 for me

that crowd, my god, just nuclear heat

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Does Scott Steiner even acknowledge Rick anymore? It seems like the last time they tagged together was in the late 90s in WCW and that's insane.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W9H8bhY0pk

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Does Scott Steiner even acknowledge Rick anymore? It seems like the last time they tagged together was in the late 90s in WCW and that's insane.

They tagged together as recently as April of last year. Scott works more than Rick but they tag every now and then.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
For some reason I thought Rick was never in TNA, I'm wrong as hell.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1-rebuMi8w

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
It was a few years ago but Rick was happy to help Scottie open up his Shoney's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iI2ReZLmYA

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Rick is also a real estate agent now, I think

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Edge & Christian posted:

I laughed at Scott's Michigan styled hard hat

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Edge & Christian posted:

I love the implication that he just drove his brother straight into that building to start tearing it down. Rick's "I'm hungry!" from the rubble got me pretty good, too.

Now I want a Steiner Brothers reality show where they go around the south fixing up failing Shoney's.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Whenever I think of Rick Steiner, I think of him saying “It’s Not My Fault” from the FCI WCW Superbrawl SNES game.

It’s like he’s refusing to apologize for how lovely that game was.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Hirez posted:

has there been any wrestler that transformed gimmicks (including name more (and not just for a few weeks run or whatever), cause thats alot.

I know this is from a few pages ago, but Crush in the WWE had 5 different gimmicks without changing his ring name.

1. 3rd member of Demolition.

2. Hawaiian surfer.

3. Foreign sympathizer aligned with Mr. Fuji.

4. Ex-convict member of the original grouping of the Nation of Domination.

5. Leader of the biker gang Disciples of Apocalypse.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I have a truly random wrestling question that just came to mind as I was trying to fall asleep.

I was in that infamous "Change the Channel" Hammerstein Ballroom crowd for WWECW. Its probably one of the most fun sports/concert memories I have (the whole show, not just the one part). I remember at the time that a huge percentage of the fanbase was furious at us and insisted we disrespected the wrestlers and were only there to make ourselves the stars and would only be satisfied with ECW leftovers. I argued that it was silly, we went crazy for CM Punk, we were excited about Kurt Angle vs the Brooklyn Brawler, and we were there for a drat Dreamer/Sandman vs Test/Mike Knox match. I felt at the time (and I think most there did as well) that WWE knew we would respond to those things and also knew if they had given us any half way expected or preferred main event that wouldn't have happened but they basically gave us the worst possible match.

I wonder how people feel about that now. Its weird looking back. ECW is dead, buried, dug up, buried, dug up, etc so many times even us old diehards are kind of over it. CM Punk went from beloved indie star to hated sellout. Batista was "Mr. WWE" in every negative sense at the time and is now beloved. Everyone seems way more sympathetic to the idea that WWE seems to book things that they should know better than and sometimes almost to spite audiences. Everyone also seems to appreciate fans that are engaged and saying what they think more nowadays, even if its disapproving. And hell, that's a pretty terrible show card looking back and I can't even imagine watching that show on TV today. I can't even imagine paying to see a WWE show now let alone being that emotionally invested.

So I don't know. I just couldn't sleep and for some reason that came to mind. I wonder how you folks feel about it now?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Ganso Bomb posted:

Now I want a Steiner Brothers reality show where they go around the south fixing up failing Shoney's.

I want Rick Steiner to be in the next Child's Play movie.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Why is Thunderbolt Patterson never really mentioned in Hall of Fame discussions? I'm not saying this as in I know Thunderbolt, I know nothing about him really outside of what I saw on wikipedia, but from just that he seems like someone who got blacklisted for all the right reasons and should be celebrated.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Lid posted:

Why is Thunderbolt Patterson never really mentioned in Hall of Fame discussions? I'm not saying this as in I know Thunderbolt, I know nothing about him really outside of what I saw on wikipedia, but from just that he seems like someone who got blacklisted for all the right reasons and should be celebrated.

He absolutely should be celebrated, but he isn't because of the aforementioned blacklisting, plus he wasn't very good and all his best stuff got stolen by guys like Dusty who got all the credit for it. I also don't know how good of a long-term draw he was, but he should definitely be lauded as a guy who took no poo poo.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Does Magnum T.A. have a best match? I know he was going to be a huge deal until the car accident made him retire.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Does Magnum T.A. have a best match? I know he was going to be a huge deal until the car accident made him retire.

His cage match against Tully Blanchard at Starrcade 1985 is probably the best one.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Numero6 posted:

His cage match against Tully Blanchard at Starrcade 1985 is probably the best one.

Nth to this. My friend showed me this about ten years ago when I stated there were no decent finishes to I Quit matches that didn't make the loser look pathetic. I was wrong.

Q. What wrestlers do you love watching that are just garbage people that make you enjoy their wrestling less? I absolutely love watching pre JBL-Bradshaw kick rear end in the Acolytes. But the man is a complete piece of poo poo irl.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
I like don't give a gently caress Randy Orton the wrestler, but I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire irl

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Q. What wrestlers do you love watching that are just garbage people that make you enjoy their wrestling less? I absolutely love watching pre JBL-Bradshaw kick rear end in the Acolytes. But the man is a complete piece of poo poo irl.

is benoit a cop-out answer

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

TriffTshngo posted:

is benoit a cop-out answer

I unironically like Vince McMahon matches so anything goes I guess

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Nth to this. My friend showed me this about ten years ago when I stated there were no decent finishes to I Quit matches that didn't make the loser look pathetic. I was wrong.

kenta

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

I loved Shawn Michaels until the Montreal screwjob :canada: I still think Razor vs Shawn ladder match is my favorite match of all time (though I haven't seen it since I was a kid) so I don't want to taint my childhood memory if it was actually bad.

He counts as a garbage person and I don't like him now either but his selling is some of the best of all-time, and his wrestling is legit.

as a counterpoint, I never liked Undertaker anything, and am glad he's a garbage person and bad wrestler

Hirez fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 29, 2020

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Razor/Shawn still holds up as a great match that happens to have a ladder involved, compared to the mindless ladder spotfests we see at MITB every year

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Bret Hart is a fantastic wrestler, but he's just such a bitter mark for himself it's kinda hard to get behind him.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

He's definitely a carny, I mean he grew up in the dungeon, so I get why he's such a mark for himself/etc. I kinda lost respect for him going back to WWE but whatever, at least he took money from Vince.

He also seems to be "one of the good ones" or ones you never really heard bad stories about or if they are they aren't horrible poo poo, at least I've never heard of any bad Bret stories other than when he did meth with Bulldog or whatever

e: not surprised Owen ruled but he did start that human being chant at goldust once :shrug: but i'll blame that on Vince

Hirez fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 29, 2020

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

owen was the only good hart or hart-adjacent and he was still really mean and unapologetic since he probably never heard an apology or any empathy or sympathy in his life

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I never got the impression Bret was a "good guy". Not one of the worst guys or anything and by wrestler standards probably on the right end of the scale. But while I can't think of anything specific besides odd urine stuff I just always got the sense he was kind of an rear end who we were just super sympathetic to because Owen was heartbreaking and he got screwed.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Bret wasn't a psycho prankster like his brother and brother in law

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

Some of those Stu stories I've read were so horrible my brain doesn't want to/can't remember specifics, one was something like they used to eat cereal with rat poo poo in it or something as punishment

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
When people say such-and-such is a mark for them self, doesn’t that just mean they know their own value as a performer?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That's probably like asking where the line is between confidence and arrogance. You obviously CAN just think you're better than you are and be a selfish deluded rear end in a top hat. People are everywhere.

Whether like Kevin Nash is just a shrewd businessman or Hulk Hogan is a self important pathological narcissist is probably a case by case issue.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Seams posted:

When people say such-and-such is a mark for them self, doesn’t that just mean they know their own value as a performer?

In this case I meant that Bret has that "uh if this was a REAL FIGHT I would have won" thing to him. You also see it a lot in people who aspire to be action movie stars.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Bret Hart also cheated on his wife on the road and took no responsibility for it.

Pretty tame as far as wrestlers go but still bad.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

If it wasn't with Sunny then shame on you Bret

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

does anyone remember that weird match wwf had in the dungeon and it was a 6x6 room made out of cardboard with exactly one of this on the floor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

maybe? I think with Steve Blackman or Ken Shamrock?