Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
I got hosed by my adderall wearing off mid-run, couldn't remember what the gently caress I was doing and game wasn't interested in telling me. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

There's also a card game version of Arkham Horror that's pretty good but some buy-in is necessary for more than 2 players.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Tabletop Simulator has these games and I find it easier to play alone there

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

I got World of Horror from gamepass and it's pretty great. I love the CGA palette you can turn on. It obviously still needs some polish, though, judging by the gamepass release that hasn't been updated : the copy needs to be proofread again, the game has a tendency to crash upon stamina death, and there are some other things that I think are probably bugs but I cannot be 100% certain.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
I feel like I missed any discussions on it, or any of the normal horror game hype, but Dreadout 2 came out today? https://store.steampowered.com/app/945710/DreadOut_2/

I thought the first one was janky but somewhat well received. It still seems though that the devs are super thirsty for school girls.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
Dreadout 1 ruled, the monster designs and setpieces were sick. gameplay was janky sure but what can you do

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

E4C85D38 posted:

I got World of Horror from gamepass and it's pretty great. I love the CGA palette you can turn on. It obviously still needs some polish, though, judging by the gamepass release that hasn't been updated : the copy needs to be proofread again, the game has a tendency to crash upon stamina death, and there are some other things that I think are probably bugs but I cannot be 100% certain.

Yeah It's a bit more buggy than I would have liked. Succeeding the shady doctor event (which lets you heal one injury for free) doesn't do anything, and when loading a save my inventory, perks, etc were all gone. (Not just a visual bug either since all my allies also vanished)

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Wow a Dreadout 2 out of nowhere? Not gonna lie, I'd plunk down for it if my PC was still in any condition to play games. I kinda liked the old school jankiness of the first one.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
poo poo, I need to get back to Dreadout. That scissor boss hosed me up a lot, and then the chapter 2 update hit and I never got around to going back. They fixed the respawn thing, right? It wasn't so bad until I kept getting killed by that boss.

Len posted:

Don't play Arkham Horror 2e play 3e. Ain't nobody got time for 2e Arkham Horror or a table big enough for it

You can fit the base game on a decent-sized kitchen table, at least. I hear the setup gets faster the more you play it, but both times I've played Arkham Horror the setup took like, an hour and a half. How's 3e on that front?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

catlord posted:

poo poo, I need to get back to Dreadout. That scissor boss hosed me up a lot, and then the chapter 2 update hit and I never got around to going back. They fixed the respawn thing, right? It wasn't so bad until I kept getting killed by that boss.

You can fit the base game on a decent-sized kitchen table, at least. I hear the setup gets faster the more you play it, but both times I've played Arkham Horror the setup took like, an hour and a half. How's 3e on that front?

I only played 3e the one time but we were up and running in less than 30 minutes but it was the first time we played so things needed sorted out. It doesn't feel like it will be as long term replayable though, instead of picking a god and going you pick a scenario so once you've played those you know the story and you'll just be relying on the rng factor

It's significantly more streamlined though

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The only time I played DreadOut I got stun locked to death by some enemy and when I respawned/reloaded I was still in the middle of getting stun locked to death and that was the last time I played it.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Been playing World of Horror and the art style and weird nightmare logic of it all is pretty great. Not as big if a fan of how dependent it seems to be on RNG but its a short game designed for multiple playthroughs so I can live with that.

I really have no idea how to get the other endings on cases though. Its seemed like no matter what I do I’ll get the same ones.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

It really depends on the cases, but doing the sidequests generally gives you a chance to find alternatives. A few cases are a bit more complicated and require equipment, or even a specific curse.

Some hints about ending requirements:
Horrible History of Household Hell endings A and B:
have a flashlight equipped, read the archaeology magazine, remember the frequency. Be ready for a ritual of blood, or ready to run

Macabre Memoir of Morbid Mermaids B, C, or D :
Two endings are unlocked through special combat actions. There should be extra icons next to the normal attack actions. One action requires a crowbar. The last, worst ending happens when you have the Innsmouth look upon meeting the janitor. The events that follow will lower Reason but skip the fight.

Vicious Verses of a Violent Vigil: Warning, currently bugged! A and B:
MAKE SURE YOU GET THE VIGIL PAMPHLET FROM THE GUESTS! You need it to know the clap/bow ritual steps and to be able to note the rune. You can’t cover up the mirror but be sure to do everything on the pamphlet at the correct time. Don’t forget the plant! The difference between the A and B endings is if you manage to win the fight at the end without sacrificing a guest

Freaky Feature of Found Footage: can’t get A ending right now, wait for patch

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Verses is the one that’s irritating me really. No matter what I do the body is always gone the second time I go to pay respect to it.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Yeah, I know. I suspect it needs a patch too. I got to the fight by taking care of the plant, and then carving the rune at the end. The clap/bow thing didn’t help in the fight either

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Quicksilver6 posted:

Freaky Feature of Found Footage: can’t get A ending right now, wait for patch

According to a thing I read this morning

you buy acid in a shop and that lets you get a

https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldofHorror/comments/f84hzc/a_guide_on_how_to_get_all_mystery_endings/

I finished my first game this morning. Not a fan of the Doom track because I don't know how to lower it

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Son of a bitch, never thought of that.

For the doom track: you have only a few options. First is solving mysteries, obviously.

As you play you can unlock stuff. I think a shrine becomes an option where you can trade stats for Doom reduction? if you check your achievements for unlocks, “eldritch” anything helps slow down doom, I think. So does the map for some reason.

There’s also one incredibly useful spell that’s sure to get nerfed - purge? I think? It’s a straight up trade of Stamina for Doom reduction with no apparent limit. It can be found randomly in the library or any normal spell teaching method. No idea how it works with the Elder God that gets more doom when spells are cast. Also no idea how badly you can abuse it with the “cast spells for free” event.

A few events are pretty good for doom reduction too, but you usually need to beat the rolls. Following the suspicious man in the city, listening to the televangelist, burning the leather book... I’m sure there are more.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I'm enjoying World of Horror but it's not as deep as I was expecting, I think. I feel there should be a lot more interplay between mysteries based on what the warning in each game says. I know it's still EA though, so hopefully that gets picked up on

Also the Vigil is my favourite mystery so far, the scenario is pretty drat scary overall even if I stumbled all the way through it, prayed once and forgot to burn the envelope then kicked the old man to death

Worst is the scissor lady. Immediately locked in, not much exploring to do, then you have to fight as soon as you get the candles. Just kind of meh.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

It's the tutorial case, though.
I do wish it had a complication if it's not your first case.

Though if you start it with a key, you can get a gun.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

SelenicMartian posted:

It's the tutorial case, though.
I do wish it had a complication if it's not your first case.

Though if you start it with a key, you can get a gun.

the gun will also take the scissor lady out in two shots / one turn, which is kind of nice since you're almost guaranteed to have done that fight before

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

This might be a silly question, but how do you save in World of Horror?

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Between cases, when you see the Home/Lighthouse choices, go to options at the far bottom right. Save and Quit should be at the top. The good news is that this will get rid of curses. The Bad news is that each curse removed will cost you 1 max stamina/reason.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Man the Oily Water old god stirring that makes it so you can’t take a bath is like maximum anti-fun of its the first one you get.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

It was my third or second. Get used to dodging.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I got a curator connect copy of Dreadout 2. I liked the first one. I'm not off work until Wednesday but I'll check it out and report back then.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Bussamove posted:

Man the Oily Water old god stirring that makes it so you can’t take a bath is like maximum anti-fun of its the first one you get.

The free restore is nice but i found just resting or spells to help. Also, the save and load function removes the town events if you urgently need a bath or dog shop item.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

piece of poo poo yakuza guy taking up the entire screen so I can't see the doom meter

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

GulagDolls posted:

piece of poo poo yakuza guy taking up the entire screen so I can't see the doom meter

Dude too swole.

Also you should be able to see the % to the right. I could at least.

Carpenter Hammer is real good btw. Fast and deals a decent chunk.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

GulagDolls posted:

If you hover over him the Doom meter comes forward

Edit: I was streaming a run for some friends who were on the fence and they loved that I beat ghosts, zombies, and other Eldritch abominations to death with a baseball bat.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

I couldn't even see anything but the last digit of the % cause I kept making him wear the leather jacket for some reason.

anyway, game's cool, but third time crashing today...so...gonna shelf it 4 a bit.

Lord Zedd
Dec 25, 2011
Yeah I got a run up to the lighthouse and assumed there was some sort of autosave since I needed to restart in an attempt to get the offscreen key back. Nope.
Then today I had 1 easy case left and then crashed when i tried to go the the hospital.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
:stare:

People have begun uploading songs to youtube. Hopefully they will get uploaded in an official capacity sometime soon. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB59190os4nw9ZBM2vF2Bc2Mmyw5J2m4L

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8JzVu3gUdE

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
does dreadout 2 have terrible unbeatable bosses like 1

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I don't remember anything like that in 1 so I'm gonna say no.

Game's also very cool.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Has anyone tried The Suicide of Rachel Foster? Seems like one of those walky sim murder mystery games but it's the first time I've seen it come up in my recommended queue. It just came out a few days ago.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Fingerless Gloves posted:

I'm enjoying World of Horror but it's not as deep as I was expecting, I think. I feel there should be a lot more interplay between mysteries based on what the warning in each game says. I know it's still EA though, so hopefully that gets picked up on

Yeah currently the only big one appears to be burning down the school in the mermaid case and then doing the school scissors case afterwards. Really hope he adds more stuff like that

lessavini
Jun 22, 2017

Len posted:

I only played 3e the one time but we were up and running in less than 30 minutes but it was the first time we played so things needed sorted out. It doesn't feel like it will be as long term replayable though, instead of picking a god and going you pick a scenario so once you've played those you know the story and you'll just be relying on the rng factor

It's significantly more streamlined though
Got Arkham Horror 3e with the expansion last week and played it twice so far. Setup took half an hour. I had a blast with it but yeah, I can see how it will feel repetitive soon. This is a game that really needs expansions coming out on a regular basis (more or less like Mansions of Madness 2e).

I hope the recent layoff at Fantasy Flight don't f*ck up the game line.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

exquisite tea posted:

Has anyone tried The Suicide of Rachel Foster? Seems like one of those walky sim murder mystery games but it's the first time I've seen it come up in my recommended queue. It just came out a few days ago.

https://twitter.com/DaftLimmy/status/1232225193306787841

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Thought this was a joke but then I watched a playthrough and boy, it sure isn't. There are a lot of other bad writing decisions besides that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

was... was the horror paedophilia???