Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Loaded up my save where I have a base in The Void and either a bug happened or they changed something about the map. I built the base in a little alcove, since you need something for the modules to attach to and the walls there normally won't allow it. Now that alcove is gone and it's just empty and honestly, even more terrifying that way.

https://streamable.com/w2yhl

I turned on creative mode to get the video without the leviathans causing a fuss, and fog off.

Did you build the base in survival mode? If so, did the leviathans attack your base during/after construction? How safe was it with them around? I've just never seen leviathans interact with built structures, so I'm curious. I read somewhere that preadtors will sometimes try to attack fish inside your alien containments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

GotLag posted:

Did anyone else never find a time capsule in their playthrough? When I got to the end I had no idea what it was asking me to put items in this box for so IIRC I put in a food brick and a Cuddlefish egg.

I found two, one with a bunch of ion cells and an aurora figurine while the other had a water recycling suit and a survival knife in it. I forgot what I put in mine though (I think I went ion cells and something else useful.)

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
When you finish the game you can put items and a note in a capsule, if I recall a bunch from real early access was then added to the game or its dynamic or something I forget.
But any time capsules found are from previous players.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Serephina posted:

Yea, at first I thought it was going to be a stand-alone expansion, but it's not even that, it's like they just want to be able to have a do-over?

What makes you think it’s not a stand-alone expansion?

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Corsec posted:

Did you build the base in survival mode? If so, did the leviathans attack your base during/after construction? How safe was it with them around? I've just never seen leviathans interact with built structures, so I'm curious. I read somewhere that preadtors will sometimes try to attack fish inside your alien containments.

I've had a Ghost Leviathan that was trying to get at me in my PRAWN keep ramming into one of my habitat's towers, wherein I had one of my alien containment tanks, while it was circling on its strafing runs. None of the fish inside the containment unit were killed, but it was one of my kelp forest tanks, and two of my creepweeds were missing after I'd convinced ol' Ghosty to cease their attacks, which makes me think they'd been chomped up by said Ghost in its attacks, even though it did no actual damage to the habitat walls or the containment unit or anything else.

The game is always kind of odd in how the fish do/don't hurt your construction work. I still remember this one time I tried building in a grassy plateau and this one sandshark that was flipping out around one of my moonpool's support struts kept racking up massive damage on the moonpool until I deconstructed it entirely, whereas almost every other instance since then hasn't had a single breach open up due to aggravated fishies.

I've built habs with Reapers and Ghosts and Dragons in close contact (I mean, that's what I wanted to observe with my observatories, after all) and had them never even touch any of my buildings, so, yeah, that seems out of the ordinary.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

GotLag posted:

Did anyone else never find a time capsule in their playthrough? When I got to the end I had no idea what it was asking me to put items in this box for so IIRC I put in a food brick and a Cuddlefish egg.

I found a few. I think it had an ion powercell and a survival knife. The other had all the end game plants you needed to collect. I put the prawn and cyclops lvl3 depth mods and the grappling hook for the one I left.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I think I filled my last time capsule with pissbags and a single bag of chips.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

GotLag posted:

I've found a handful, maybe half a dozen or a dozen, over the course of multiple playthroughs. my first one had a cyclops shield generator in it, as well as an ion battery, ion power cell, and aurora figure.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I had a quick Google and found another dude who said the time capsules disappeared from his save, so maybe the same thing happened to me before I found any

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007
I found this in one of the time capsules in my current game. I have no idea if it's original or copied from elsewhere, I presume the latter but hope for the former. Anyone seen it before? The accompanying text was in Chinese so I don't know what was written though. I think the items were a stasis gun and scanner device.

https://ibb.co/T2ZRp7q

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
Ok, thanks for the info everyone!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Corsec posted:

I did! Took the Cyclops down, fully loaded with decoys, until I was close enough to the spot I found that would let me build. Managed to get a multi purpose room built before I was completely eaten, and built out from there.

They frequently clip through the base but haven't attacked it at all.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Oasx posted:

What makes you think it’s not a stand-alone expansion?

I dno, do you still have the Seamoth and Cyclops and crap in addition to all the new content? Or is it the same game, but with differences?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Serephina posted:

I dno, do you still have the Seamoth and Cyclops and crap in addition to all the new content? Or is it the same game, but with differences?

New map, new story, new vehicles with none of the old vehicles.

Edit: I forgot the Prawn is still in, as it should be.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 22, 2020

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Corsec posted:

I found this in one of the time capsules in my current game. I have no idea if it's original or copied from elsewhere, I presume the latter but hope for the former. Anyone seen it before? The accompanying text was in Chinese so I don't know what was written though. I think the items were a stasis gun and scanner device.

https://ibb.co/T2ZRp7q

None of the reverse image searches return a match for this. I want to believe someone drew this specifically for their time capsule. :allears:

Serephina posted:

Pretty much the same game loop and mechanics on a different map, with different vehicles (except Prawn) and it doesn't require the original game to run. What other words would you use to describe that except stand alone expansion? I mean, I guess they could have just called it a sequel but there's too much baggage with that and expectations would be too high.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Didn't some goon draw a boneshark in a schoolgirl skirt to accompany a snippet of a lovely fake fanfic for their capsule? Not, you know, furry or anything, just a plain-rear end boneshark in a skirt.

As for my capsule, I put in a prawn jump jet upgrade module, the prawn thermal reactor, a drill arm, grappler arm, an ion power cell, and that adorable little Keep Calm kitty poster in mine :3: Just a quick screenshot of the sunrise from my rocket gantry for the picture, I didn't realize you could do neat things with in-game screenshots until I was about to launch.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Just restarted and Ive found 2 time capsules.

1st was in Chinese, but it had a thermal blade and a stasis rifle with an ion battery in it. Found it within my first 30 min of playing and it was a god send. Picture was a Sea Dragon that I think they killed.

2nd one had a really nice picture with a base with a bunch of exterior grow beds full of everything you can plant and a message about having a green thumb. Inside was a blood oil seed, Deep Mushroom, and Gel Sack. It was a really well done capsule. I wish I would of found it before I already went down and grabbed those, because having those super early would of been really nice to farm.

Can anyone confirm that you can't put "End Game" content in time capsules? Like Ion items (It looks like you can get around that by putting them in a tool) Kyanite etc? I thought I read that some where.

(Also pro tip to anyone who buys this, if you find a time capsule with a bunch of tools in it, check the batteries in them with R. They quite often have Ion Batteries (Upgraded batteries) in them.)

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I found my first time capsule (that I can remember) last night. It had a picture of the rocket pad and nothing else but some spelling errors.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

That's how it goes. drat all the 4channers and their ilk to hell. I've found 7? capsules in all my playthroughs, all but 2 consisting soley of actual poo poo or gasbags and crude messages.

The two that didn't gave me hope in humanity.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

OxySnake posted:

Can anyone confirm that you can't put "End Game" content in time capsules? Like Ion items (It looks like you can get around that by putting them in a tool) Kyanite etc? I thought I read that some where.

I'm going to be real pissed off if that's the case, because I didn't put anything but Ion Cells/Batteries in either of mine.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

WarpedNaba posted:

I'm going to be real pissed off if that's the case, because I didn't put anything but Ion Cells/Batteries in either of mine.
I haven't replayed recently, but there were lots of very upset players who wished anything but basic things like water bottles and fish were banned from time capsules. I'd be surprised if they put any limits on capsules after the fact though.

When people leave bags of piss water in a time capsule, at least they did it as a joke. If those sorts of people had their way you couldn't even give away bags of piss because came from a "late game" upgrade :v:

I put a bunch of prawn upgrades in mine with a screenshot of a lava waterfall behind the my lime green cyclops. Something for the player to look forward to, and lets them get right to the FUN stuff like thruster boosters once they do build a prawn.

I almost left ion batteries, but then I remembered they start out frustrating when they run out and you haven't unlocked charge fins or the cyclops to recharge them on the go. Still way better than a bottle of water or ration bar though.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 23, 2020

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
I wrote a heartfelt message as an in-character scientist who became stranded, learned the lay of the land, and only reluctantly left the planet in the end.

It included a shot of his base (ie, his home) and some non-spoilery hints/advice.

Items included various useful late game fabricated components/chemicals (one bottle of benzene, one bottle of hydrochloric acid, one bottle of polyanaline, one Aerogel etc) - I felt these would be super useful in the early game but appreciated even in the late game, but wouldn't completely break game progression either, since you need more than one of those to build ALL the neat toys. So you'd have to pick and choose.

I paid attention to spelling and grammar and tried to ensure that it wouldn't be immersion breaking to find this thing.

I doubt it got included in the game/that anyone's ever found it.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
For those of you wondering how the Time Capsule system actually works, they get uploaded to a que system which people then vote on: https://subnautica.unknownworlds.com/time-capsules

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

That's how it goes. drat all the 4channers and their ilk to hell. I've found 7? capsules in all my playthroughs, all but 2 consisting soley of actual poo poo or gasbags and crude messages.

And this is probably why a player may see so many lovely capsules.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Does Below Zero have a cuddlefish?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

GotLag posted:

Does Below Zero have a cuddlefish?

It has baby penguins.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
And baby yeti. And one of the recently added critters apparently likes pets.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Salt Fish posted:

It has baby penguins.

You can steal the baby penguins and shove them in lockers, I haven't tried it yet but I'm sure you could feed them to the bio-reactor.

Vord
Oct 27, 2007

SugarAddict posted:

You can steal the baby penguins and shove them in lockers, I haven't tried it yet but I'm sure you could feed them to the bio-reactor.

Couldn't you just find a ledge to drop them off instead?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
This has probably already been covered, so feel free to send me to the relevant page, but anyone know what's up with the story reboot of Below Zero? I haven't been following it closely, but I heard the lead writer left or was pushed out because people hated his story?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

This has probably already been covered, so feel free to send me to the relevant page, but anyone know what's up with the story reboot of Below Zero? I haven't been following it closely, but I heard the lead writer left or was pushed out because people hated his story?

We don’t know any details other than that the writer left and that they decided to change the story. The two are almost certainly linked, but it could easily be that the writer left on good terms.

There are some chuds who are angry that they have to play as a woman, or just some people who would prefer something like the main game, where the protagonist didn’t speak.
But I don’t think there is enough of the current story for most people to really care one way or another.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Oasx posted:

We don’t know any details other than that the writer left and that they decided to change the story. The two are almost certainly linked, but it could easily be that the writer left on good terms.

There are some chuds who are angry that they have to play as a woman, or just some people who would prefer something like the main game, where the protagonist didn’t speak.
But I don’t think there is enough of the current story for most people to really care one way or another.

I was worried the answer was "chuds"

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Why would anyone care of who you are in a game like this. You are stranded on an alien planet, you will have zero chances of interacting with other human beings in the game!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Turin Turambar posted:

Why would anyone care of who you are in a game like this. You are stranded on an alien planet, you will have zero chances of interacting with other human beings in the game!

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I was worried the answer was "chuds"

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

Those kind of Gamers really hate women and they think that anytime a woman is included in anything it is purely due to some insincere attempt to court strawman "social justice warriors" and whatnot.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I was honestly surprised when I first saw my shadow in Subnautica, the player character had a huge cowlick of hair, which implied more distinct characterization than I had assumed. If your PC starts talking, you have to give them a name and personality - which is fine, Deus Ex et al does it well. But it's also unnecessary complications, the silent faceless protag is *fine*.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I guess in Below Zero there are actual living NPCs you can talk to (so I've heard) so a silent protagonist is probably not the best way to go- I don't think that's ever worked well, with one or two obvious exceptions.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Turin Turambar posted:

I think this is the main issue with the old story. You're not stranded at all. You're part of a well funded super-science business venture, you have 2-way rocket travel between the planet and station, constant radio contact with your sister, and they're shuttling you down any supplies you need in real time. The whole premise breaks down because they could just come and get you.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

decided to give this another go since i really, really really want to love this game but upon playing it after its launch it was so fuckin buggy that i flat-out hated it

it has been a lot better so far, except i've phased through the cyclops twice now. i can't believe that bug is still in the game, what the rear end.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

decided to give this another go since i really, really really want to love this game but upon playing it after its launch it was so fuckin buggy that i flat-out hated it

it has been a lot better so far, except i've phased through the cyclops twice now. i can't believe that bug is still in the game, what the rear end.

Do you have any duffle bags in your sub?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

no i do not, i just have a couple planters with potatoes and trees, a bed and a fabricator