Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1230868666436247554?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Everyone already knows Bitcoin is valuable. (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 7 hours ago by slvbtc

The reason the IRS can state "virtual currency" in their forms and people automatically understand they are referring specifically to crypto and not other virtual currencies like in game currency or reddit coins or membership points etc, is because people inherently (maybe even subconsciously) understand bitcoin is different and holds true global free market value unlike other centralized company issued virtual currencies.

They understand this subconsciously but haven't yet come around to cognitively and consciously accepting it.

Centralized company issued currency is valueless and only decentralized free market freely traded currency holds value. Wait until they realize the Fed is a centralized company!

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Gold/bitcoin ratio might become the single most important financial metric on earth. (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 4 hours ago * by slvbtc

Comparing the price of bitcoin to dollars when determining its value today is as pointless as comparing the price of bitcoin to a kilo of gold now, it tells you absolutely nothing.. yet..

In these early days those comparisons are irrelevant. Volatility and violent free market price discovery make them irrelevant. Bitcoin is like the earth back when it was still forming with meteorites raining down and volcanos everywhere constantly erupting creating an insanely volatile environment that couldn't harbour life, just like bitcoin can't yet harbour stable commerce.

Once speculation and store of value use cases have driven prices up to highs that represent the amount of wealth needed to facilitate global commerce life will emerge. Stability will form, skies will clear, the meteorites will stop, volcanoes will turn dormant, and the first signs of life will form. Commerce will emerge and evolve faster than you can imagine.

Then and only then will a ratio like the gold/bitcoin ratio tell us anything comprehensible.

However, over time it is possible that in a few decades from now the gold/bitcoin ratio becomes the single most important financial metric on earth, maybe even as important as fed monetary policy is today, because we sure as hell won't be measuring bitcoin against fiat anymore.

There will be no fiat, no fed speak, no target CPI rate, no interest rate manipulation, no repo injections, no fed minutes. There will be just bitcoin with its known supply and gold. The only value comparison that will tell us anything about the value of bitcoin over periods of hundreds of years in length will be the gold/bitcoin ratio.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Bring me the gold deer. I want to watch it expire, due to bitcoin.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

...! posted:

Centralized company issued currency is valueless and only decentralized free market freely traded currency holds value. Wait until they realize the Fed is a centralized company!

how on earth have none of these people ever encountered chartalism

...!
Oct 5, 2003

They can spread FUD but that's the extent of it. (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 5 days ago by slvbtc

Governments may try to scare people away from bitcoin through false or exaggerated statements, or by putting scary questions in tax forms to make bitcoin look like its only use is for tax evasion, they may try to spread FUD, they may try to limit its viability by suffocating it with tax and record keeping burden, they may try to make examples of people who use bitcoin for illicit means, but they can not criminalize its legal use.

To criminalize the use of bitcoin and all cryptocurrencies like it they would need to ban the use and development of open source blockchain technology and ban the use and development of digital scarcity as a technological concept. To accomplish that would require a tyrannical dictatorship with no way to contest its criminalization.

Any country with an ounce of justice and due process of law especially one with a constitutional right to freedom of speech (as code is speech) would find it impossible to criminalize the entire technological concept of digital scarcity and its use in trade and commerce. They would need to essentially criminalize open source code and any country that even contemplated that would see an immediate mass exodus of business, finance, technology companies and entrepreneurial talent from their shores.

The most bullish thing in the world for bitcoin would be for an attempt to be made at criminalizing it then that attempt being contested and overturned in the supreme court setting undeniable precedent for its legal use in commerce.

Bring it on!

...!
Oct 5, 2003

slvbtc 1 point 6 days ago

Its not theoretical its already happening now. Taxing every single transaction and putting language in tax forms that ask you if you use crypto to make it look like crypto is solely for tax evasion. Thats done solely to try and suffocate it and scare people away.

So it is happening and it will continue to happen but it won't stop bitcoin it will just ensure the US government and its citizens does not benefit from this inevitable monetary evolution.

Imagine the whole world moving to the gold standard and one country not allowing their citizens to use or own gold. Does that kill gold? No, all it does is make that one rogue country look illegitimate in terms of global finance.

It would be wild to see the country that once unfairly benefited from forcing its global reserve currency status upon the world shoot itself in the foot and impoverish its people by preventing its citizens from participating in the worlds future financial protocol. How ironic.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Disruption timeline. (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 19 days ago * by slvbtc

Companies and entities that will be disrupted and made redundant by bitcoin and the lightning network, in order of occurrence.

First, lightning as a payment mechanism will proliferate with every point of sale terminal and every banking wallet app able to send from and receive to a lightning invoice. The world will use lightning as the standard for transaction and transfer processing.

Disrupted: Visa, Mastercard, Amex, Discover, alipay, wechat pay, paypal, transferwise, worldremit, western union, SWIFT, and similar companies of this nature.

Second, as the world settles on using lightning as the global standard to process the worlds transactions and transfers it will simultaneously (like a Trojan Horse) make every point of sale terminal and every banking wallet app capable of receiving bitcoin. This will mean bitcoin can be spent anywhere and sent to anyone even if the recipient has no idea what bitcoin is. This will increase the demand globally for holding bitcoin directly instead of using bank accounts forcing banks around the world to offer Bitcoin accounts in order to keep customers.

Disrupted: Bank of China, HSBC, JP Morgan, Chase, BNP Paribas, Bank of America, Credit Agricole, and similar deposit taking institutions of this nature that do not adopt bitcoin.

Third, as the move away from banks occurs and the smart banks adopt bitcoin accounts in order to survive we will see demand for fiat decline and demand for bitcoin rise. This will lead to a dramatic rise in inflation creating a self reinforcing feedback loop that acts as a vortex. People adopting bitcoin to escape inflation will in the process of doing this create even more inflation, until the inevitable outcome of a catastrophic collapse in demand for fiat occurs globally.

Disrupted: US federal Reserve, European Central Bank, Bank of England, Bank of Japan, Swiss National Bank, Bank of Canada, Reserve Bank of Australia, International Monetary Fund, Bank for International Settlements, and similar entities of this nature around the world.

At this point the world will converge on one fair, sound, and politically neutral money, Bitcoin, and one free, instant, and politically neutral payment system, Lightning.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

...! posted:

Gold/bitcoin ratio might become the single most important financial metric on earth. (self.Bitcoin)
no reason given why it might, just it might.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

CampingCarl posted:

no reason given why it might, just it might.

i might become the most successful professional football player on earth, so you should invest in being my friend now while it's easy :smug:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
foot....ball?:confused:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Boxturret posted:

:wrong:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Boxturret posted:

Bird... Bath?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

...! posted:

true global free market value
strong toblerone vibes here

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
did somebody say football

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Sniep posted:

did somebody say football

no

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
lomqrf

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

teslasurprise(dot)com

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Boxturret posted:

teslasurprise(dot)com

Elon giving away buttcoins again?

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

orange juche posted:

Elon giving away buttcoins again?

how does he even have any left at this point???????????

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

KnifeWrench posted:

how does he even have any left at this point???????????
miners built into the cars.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

it's weird after every giveaway he ends up with more bitcoins than when he started

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/Rhett800cc/status/1230591495817891842?s=20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-GaXa8tSBE

lovely exchange announces it is shutting down in <10 days, immediately decides to invalidate all validated customers, and force them to redo a 2 month process to get access to their shitcoins

orange juche fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Feb 23, 2020

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

YOSPOS > WTF Why aren't you letting me take my Bitcoin?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

EorayMel posted:

YOSPOS > WTF Why aren't you letting me take my Bitcoin?

it's not your bitcoin when you willingly give it to some one else hth

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
the lightning notwork is still a proof of concept that requires solutions to presently unsolved CS problems in order to work properly, right?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Hammerite posted:

the lightning notwork is still a proof of concept that requires solutions to presently unsolved CS problems in order to work properly, right?

i think technically speaking there's a test network but yeah it's still not real

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Hammerite posted:

yeah

note that the problem is trivial if you allow some amount of ~~~centralization~~~, even just of third-party information sources. it’s specifically the requirement to only trust the nodes you’re specifically talking to that makes it intractable by known algorithms

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Hammerite posted:

depends, why are you asking? if you're pointing out that bitcoin doesn't scale, then the lightning network is complete and fully functional. if you're pointing out a problem with the lightning network, it's just eary proof of concept at the moment.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Hammerite posted:

there's about a 1 in 3 chance your transaction will fail and everyone running THE LIGHTNING NETWORK is probably losing money. a super majority of the network capacity is controlled by one company, LNBIG, which loses about a thousand dollars a month running it.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Gobbeldygook posted:

there's about a 1 in 3 chance your transaction will fail and everyone running THE LIGHTNING NETWORK is probably losing money. a super majority of the network capacity is controlled by one company, LNBIG, which loses about a thousand dollars a month running it.

that doesn't sound very decentralised to me...

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Gobbeldygook posted:

Jesus, who is funding that operation?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Fleetwood Crack posted:

boxturret's mom

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Hammerite posted:

the lightning notwork

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Either the most or least obvious answer

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Jesus, who is funding that operation.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
spoopy inaction at a distance

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

reminder that the lightning network claims that the nodes will do "networking" and discover routes to every destination based on local knowledge without any hierarchy/trust/centralization because it implicitly believes in magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

it's pretty telling that even some fairly prominent bitcoiners have done the math and determined that the lightning network literally cannot work. but no matter how much they attempt to convince their fellow bitcoiners of this, they are always ignored

as described, the lightning network is a panacea that will cure all of society's ills. therefore it must work or it would directly contradict their worldview

thus the lightning network will always and forever be in "beta", with the full release version scheduled for nine months from whatever the current date might be