Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I started playing Assassin's Creed: Syndicate since it was free on the Epic store, and it's super fun... except what's dragging it down is that it goes straight into the overarching story with no explanation about that, or why this game advertised as being set in victorian london has modern day stuff. I mean, I've played a few hours of one AC game before so I know that there is some kind of modern day story, but you'd think a recap at the start of the game would be helpful, given not everyone will have played all seven or whatever previous games in the series.

I have no idea what a piece of eden is, who these people are in the modern day or why I should care about them. I just want to have carriage chases and run across rooftops!

Danger - Octopus! has a new favorite as of 17:56 on Feb 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Necrothatcher posted:

I actually like zipping around the streets in the Batmobile, the handing model is really fun and and the destruction physics are awesome. But putting it right at the core of the game was a big gently caress up. I hated the big GCPD tank showdown. Felt like the opposite of what I want a Batman game to be.

That and that final boss fight. Some of the Riddler challenges and batmobile puzzles were fun and even some of the battles were OK but they jammed way too many of those tank fights into the game. It should have been used as a neat little distraction instead of a core element.

It got to where you HAD to do the other batmobile missions in order to get enough upgrades to do the Deathstroke fight and those battles just went on FOREVER. Plus, the god damned car handled like complete poo poo.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

RareAcumen posted:

Yakuza 5

I kidnapped a man to get information. The plan went smoothly we grabbed him and absolutely no one noticed somehow. We have him at our mercy in the sewers. He offers the information willingly but not here. We need to go somewhere else. So we go to some building with giant No More Heroes 2 final boss sized windows instead.

The beginning of the game is Daigo and the boss of another Yakuza organization having a discussion about moving venues because the one they had set up for them seemed like a death trap because it was A: In the middle of the city B: Lined with massive windows C: Absolutely stuffed with exits, so if say, the police were to raid them, they'd never be able to block all the exits on their own. So we leave the sewers, an incredibly difficult place to be sniped to go somewhere else where people have a chance to get shot.

The game says that they left your player character alive because there's work they need them to do for the rest of their plan so at least this incident makes sense but man they should really just shoot you instead of whoever's giving you info.

The best part is that he explicitly says that he wants to talk about it in a place where you won't get interrupted.

Who the gently caress is going to eavesdrop on you in a sewer, old man?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

One big design decision in combat for Marvel's Spider-Man is that there is a difference between trying to move out of the way and actual Dodging and often only the capital-D Dodging works (pressing Circle). So let's say a sniper has a bead on you and just before he takes the shot you cartwheel to the left a few feet. Now say instead of the cartwheel you launch yourself fifty feet straight up into the air so fast it's like being shot out of a cannon. In which scenario would you expect the sniper to be able to perfectly track your speed and trajectory and shoot you? The answer may surprise you!

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013
KotOR II has no achievement for picking the "I want to hold your gland" dialogue option in the cave filled with space Beatles.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Persona 3 rhythm game references Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan which makes me sad that Elite Beat Agents never got a sequel

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Shame, EBA was a gas, gas, gas...

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yakuza 5

Wow, Shinada is definitely not Tanimura. I wish he had a 4 hit combo at least because his fighting style just does not gel with me and weapons aren't really picking up the slack on that.

Since he's not an unbreakable badass like Kiryu, Saejima, and somehow Akiyama I hope I don't have to fight 100 dudes with him at any point.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So Daemon X Machina does one thing that, even though it has minimal impact on gameplay, drives me up the wall; you straight up can not play co-op or exploration missions if you are offline. Aside from being a pain in the rear end if your internet is spotty, these missions are entirely functional to play solo and you definitely can, playing them online or with other people is entirely optional. But you straight up can not access the missions, and thus the item rewards locked behind them, if you aren't connected online. Or, if you're playing the switch version, paying for the switch subscription.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Final Fantasy XV: Costlemark Tower and its cube dungeon section.

At the end of Costlemark Tower you end in a room with four patterns on the floor. Only one of them can be interacted with at the start. The pattern lowers into the floor and you end up having to interact with either the floor or a wall to get the room to open up and/or move around. Occasionally enemies spawn when you enter a new section. It can be a bit frustrating because some of them like to jump around and you are fighting in a enclosed area, so the camera really struggles with the walls at times. Either way, you end up in a large room where one miniboss spawns alongside a bunch of weaker enemies. Once you've killed them, you access an elevator that will take you back to the room with the patterns.

This time you can interact with another pattern and once again you are in a moving maze. You finally end up in the large room again, but this time there are two minibosses. They are somewhat annoying since they are big freaking demons wielding gigantic swords that they love to swing around. But it's doable. Take the elevator again, back to the pattern room.

The third pattern and its maze seems to spawn enemies whenever you move a wall/floor. By now you really hate the camera. But luckily this time you can find the path to the dungeon's final boss. Or not... because at some point you can interact with two different things. One will keep the maze going until you reach an elevator to the boss. Another will send you back to the large room. This time it will spawn THREE MINIBOSSES. And you know what, we'll throw in a different kind of miniboss as well. That is four minibosses! WOW, SUCH A GREAT DEAL, TONY.

It is bad enough you have to deal with those mazes multiple times. But the devs deliberately put in a false path in there so you can end in a loop. It is totally possible you missed that fork so you have no idea what is going on and you do it over and over again (until you look up a video online).

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 11:02 on Feb 24, 2020

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Playing as someone who's beaten Pillars of Eternity twice, Deadfire once, Assassin's of Kings and Wild Hunt twice, and goons most hated game The Outer Worlds three times, I am utterly defeated by the first two hours of Original Sin 1. The kitschy aesthetic, the constant background chatter, the complete lack of direction, and the crummy interface lead me to put this in the "Will-never-finish" bin: alongside the Witcher 1's swamp and Psychonauts's Meat-Circus level.

The sequel's pretty good.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

Final Fantasy XV: Costlemark Tower and its cube dungeon section.

and if you're on the pc version, there's a moderate chance of the game crashing to desktop during this bit, forcing you to do it all over again from the start!

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Playing as someone who's beaten Pillars of Eternity twice, Deadfire once, Assassin's of Kings and Wild Hunt twice, and goons most hated game The Outer Worlds three times, I am utterly defeated by the first two hours of Original Sin 1. The kitschy aesthetic, the constant background chatter, the complete lack of direction, and the crummy interface lead me to put this in the "Will-never-finish" bin: alongside the Witcher 1's swamp and Psychonauts's Meat-Circus level.

The sequel's pretty good.

I've started that game three different times and never made it out of the first town. The writing is like every bad RPG cliche at once, it's just the pits

BoyMeetsWorld
Aug 31, 2006

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I started playing Assassin's Creed: Syndicate since it was free on the Epic store, and it's super fun... except what's dragging it down is that it goes straight into the overarching story with no explanation about that, or why this game advertised as being set in victorian london has modern day stuff. I mean, I've played a few hours of one AC game before so I know that there is some kind of modern day story, but you'd think a recap at the start of the game would be helpful, given not everyone will have played all seven or whatever previous games in the series.

I have no idea what a piece of eden is, who these people are in the modern day or why I should care about them. I just want to have carriage chases and run across rooftops!

The (six?) previous major entries covered this pretty thoroughly, I think Ubi was responding to a lot of pushback on all the modern-day cutaways and back story.
As someone who's played all of the previous entries it was definitely welcomed. More time to spend with your Batman grappling hook and zip line.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Karma Tornado posted:

I've started that game three different times and never made it out of the first town. The writing is like every bad RPG cliche at once, it's just the pits

It manages to go downhill from there.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

it gets worse than "this man is cat, cat things are inherently charming, to me, the writer"?

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Strom Cuzewon posted:

That's probably why they gave it away free when you bought Original Sin II on Steam about a year ago. I have both in my library, and have never bothered to even install Original Sin I.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

BoyMeetsWorld posted:

The (six?) previous major entries covered this pretty thoroughly, I think Ubi was responding to a lot of pushback on all the modern-day cutaways and back story.
As someone who's played all of the previous entries it was definitely welcomed. More time to spend with your Batman grappling hook and zip line.

Yeah, I really appreciated them keeping the Assassin's Creed bullshit (future storyline, insta-fail tailing missions) to a minimum in Syndicate. I'd rate Syndicate as better than Black Flag. Black Flag has the excellent ship stuff that's better than anything in Syndicate, but Syndicate didn't have parts that made me seriously consider just uninstalling the game and playing something else. Haven't played anything more recent as I just can't bring myself to cope with the future plotline and that annoying snarky British twat they've decided is essential to the story.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

PremiumSupport posted:

That's probably why they gave it away free when you bought Original Sin II on Steam about a year ago. I have both in my library, and have never bothered to even install Original Sin I.

No, that's just the kind of thing Larian does. I get the complaints but the first D:OS sold well and had pretty good reviews.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I have largely positive memories of Original Sin 1, mostly because when I played it coop with a friend we both started as mages, who need to buy (expensive) spells before they can cast them, so the first hour or so of the game was Tactical Painting Theft Action as we stole all of the paintings in town to pawn for cash. It actually made for a pretty good coop activity.

We burned out a couple areas after that and never got close to finishing it, but, you know, it was fun while it lasted.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I also want to complain here RDR2 hunting tasks: the game is terrible in telegraphing or even hinting on the general locations on which you might find the needed animal. Especially bad are more exotic birds and some critters, since the map is absolutely huge, and some animals have a spawning area the size of a football field in a very specific area.

The game aims for a certain level of realism, and there is not one biologist, hunter or ornithologist who could be persuades with money to give you even a general area where you might find certain animals, such as woodpeckers, orioles or such. And because the spawns are somewhat random, even if you get the right place you might not get the right animal.

The map is simply too large for "trial and error", and it gets worse if you only have a fleeting idea of the type of bird or their general habitat, or how it translates to the game world. So if you need to go to Wikipedia to check what type of bird you are looking for, so to save your time you might as well use the unofficial online map to find the spawn areas. Which I guess was not the original intention.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

OS1 is good but theres no real point in playing it and the flaws are all the more obvious with how iteratively better OS2 is.

I have some gripes about weird decisions made with the battle system changes but I don't expect most people to care about them lol

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Sunswipe posted:

Yeah, I really appreciated them keeping the Assassin's Creed bullshit (future storyline, insta-fail tailing missions) to a minimum in Syndicate. I'd rate Syndicate as better than Black Flag. Black Flag has the excellent ship stuff that's better than anything in Syndicate, but Syndicate didn't have parts that made me seriously consider just uninstalling the game and playing something else. Haven't played anything more recent as I just can't bring myself to cope with the future plotline and that annoying snarky British twat they've decided is essential to the story.

I liked some of the Desmond stuff in the Ezio games, the jumping puzzles and whatnot were fun, and the story wasn't the worst. If the modern day stuff was optional it would've been pretty cool. As other people have said it looked like it was building to a climax when Desmond stabs someone, then it all ended with a wet fart in a comic few people read.

Getting the gods involved was pretty strange, but having Ezio's last moments be a message to future was really cool.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

ilmucche posted:

I liked some of the Desmond stuff in the Ezio games, the jumping puzzles and whatnot were fun, and the story wasn't the worst. If the modern day stuff was optional it would've been pretty cool. As other people have said it looked like it was building to a climax when Desmond stabs someone, then it all ended with a wet fart in a comic few people read.

Getting the gods involved was pretty strange, but having Ezio's last moments be a message to future was really cool.

It tells something that they actually bothered to make Ezio's death into an animated feature distributed digitally via consoles and online, whereas Desmond and the "Death of Earth"-storyline was buried into a comic book which was not even available on all regions.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I thought Ezio died in the game. Maybe I've been wrong this whole time.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Ezio dies in a tie-in film, Desmond and Altair die in-game, Edward is introduced after his death in Haytham's backstory, Adewale is too old to win against Shay, and Shay gets off scot-free killing Arno's dad because Arno is a complete pussy from a game nobody liked.

And that whole Juno arc they hinted at for 5+ games gets resolved in a loving comic-book.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 23:32 on Feb 24, 2020

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Der Kyhe posted:

I also want to complain here RDR2 hunting tasks: the game is terrible in telegraphing or even hinting on the general locations on which you might find the needed animal. Especially bad are more exotic birds and some critters, since the map is absolutely huge, and some animals have a spawning area the size of a football field in a very specific area.

The game aims for a certain level of realism, and there is not one biologist, hunter or ornithologist who could be persuades with money to give you even a general area where you might find certain animals, such as woodpeckers, orioles or such. And because the spawns are somewhat random, even if you get the right place you might not get the right animal.

The map is simply too large for "trial and error", and it gets worse if you only have a fleeting idea of the type of bird or their general habitat, or how it translates to the game world. So if you need to go to Wikipedia to check what type of bird you are looking for, so to save your time you might as well use the unofficial online map to find the spawn areas. Which I guess was not the original intention.

It's probably one of those things where it doesn't really matter to your game/story and that ultimately amounts to luck or busy work in the long run but, yeah. I swear, RDR2 and Witcher 3 feel like prototypes for little thigns dragging poo poo down.

I've been playing some NBA2k and I may have mentioned it before but loving comeback AI in sports games is annoying as poo poo.

I like playing the CPU because online play with sports games is usually nothing but cheese and money plays agasint people have learned to break the game. Yet I always hit a wall because every single sports game does this thing with the CPU where you can FEEL it cheating. I wish they would program the AI in these games to basically play like YOU do and learn from that instead of just arbitrarily making everyone faster/better/smarter whenever the AI finds itself down by 6 points. or some poo poo. Doesn't seem to matter what team you're playing against or with either.

When the game decides they're losing and needs points, suddenly they do everything right.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I’ve played all but 2 asscreed games and can remember scenes but not which games they were in

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Ezio dies in a tie-in film, Desmond and Altair die in-game, Edward is introduced after his death in Haytham's backstory, Adewale is too old to win against Shay, and Shay gets off scot-free killing Arno's dad because Arno is a complete pussy from a game nobody liked.

And that whole Juno arc they hinted at for 5+ games gets resolved in a loving comic-book.

Worst of all: Shaun is alive.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
The race called Lumberjack in Steep is impossible. It. Is. Impossible. Like, for a human.

If you've done it, that's unfortunate because you're clearly some kind of loving android but just don't know it yet.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Walton Simons posted:

The race called Lumberjack in Steep is impossible. It. Is. Impossible. Like, for a human.

If you've done it, that's unfortunate because you're clearly some kind of loving android but just don't know it yet.

Have you considered you might be some inferior to humans android instead?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sininu posted:

The old W1MP-L0 models were easy to detect

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Sininu posted:

Impossible, everyone knows that synthetic life is superior to those filthy organics.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Beyond Two Souls is making Ellen Page go on a date with a boy.

Ellen Page doesn't even like boys!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The language used in Grand Theft Auto 5 gets a big yikes from me

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Len posted:

Beyond Two Souls is making Ellen Page go on a date with a boy.

Ellen Page doesn't even like boys!

The "best" part is when they kiss and just kind of mechanically rub their faces against one another with no expression.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

oldpainless posted:

The language used in Grand Theft Auto 5 gets a big yikes from me
Some YouTube nerd said of GTA V's writing-- "It wants to be South Park, but it's barely MAD Magazine" and that's about right

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

muscles like this! posted:

The "best" part is when they kiss and just kind of mechanically rub their faces against one another with no expression.

She had a PTSD attack and dude just left rather than try and help her calm down. I didn't even need the next chapter to know that boy was bad news.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Walton Simons posted:

What it's like to stand around revving your actuators while the more advanced units complete the mission?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Len posted:

She had a PTSD attack and dude just left rather than try and help her calm down. I didn't even need the next chapter to know that boy was bad news.

The right way of playing Beyond Two Souls is to make the choices that make that guy's life worse.

My favorite bit was when he was getting tortured and I was making Ellen Page not give a single gently caress.