Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

I said come in! posted:

I just need to figure out the paints used for the stone now. GWS doesn't tell you this.

Duncan may be of some assistance?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0pGumGvczc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
I've been painting a bunch of good boys and girls this winter. I'm halfway done now, and I have to say that though some of the sculpts were a bit annoying to clean the seam on, I really love each and every doggo. :3:

I think I'll go for the druid next, to get some practice painting flowers.

I also finished this djinn prince for my D&D campaign. I'm pretty pleased by the skin tone, it's always a struggle to get right.

I'm going to take better pictures in daylight. I was just playing around with my phone camera settings, trying to get half decent images with the limited light that I have.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Max Wilco posted:

-

Today, I managed to work up the ambition to continue working on the Skitarii (the only models I have right now that are primed). A couple of weeks ago I painted the exterior of the robes, and I was going to post pics of that, but I decided to apply some of the metallics to them to see if that make them look a little more presentable.

dark green is a really good color for AdMech, I don't remember which streamer but I saw a battle report and someone had a fairly dark green Admech army and it looked great, especially on the Dunecrawlers

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Decorus posted:

I've been painting a bunch of good boys and girls this winter. I'm halfway done now, and I have to say that though some of the sculpts were a bit annoying to clean the seam on, I really love each and every doggo. :3:

I'm in love with your husky, and the detail on the corgi is great!

How was the material to work with when you were cleaning it? Was it incredibly brittle?

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

Dienes posted:

I'm in love with your husky, and the detail on the corgi is great!

How was the material to work with when you were cleaning it? Was it incredibly brittle?

Thanks! The husky is the most recent one, and I felt a lot more confident about painting fur while working on her.

The material is okay, it's just a tiny bit more rubbery than GW plastic. The rubbery feel of the plastic means that the material bends just a hair more than GW plastic and doesn't come away in clean strips when you drag a blade along the mold lines. Another problem was that the mold lines go along the front legs and up to the ears of the animals, so both the heads, particularly around the ears, and the tails were a pain to clean up due to all the fur detail.

There might be better way to do it, but I didn't have the tools for it.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
This closeup of the bulldog fighter sort of looks like a painting, right? :)

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
Finished up my first titan, turned out decent I think.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Calling this big boy done! The big skull on his right arm is my first attempt at wet blending. I could be better but I find it okay for a first try!

(sorry, the lightning isn't great)

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

R0ckfish posted:

Finished up my first titan, turned out decent I think.

Your stuff is consistently top notch, and this looks good too. Are these all personal collection, or do you do a lot of commissions?

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Werix posted:

Your stuff is consistently top notch, and this looks good too. Are these all personal collection, or do you do a lot of commissions?

I have yet to do a commission, they are all my personal hoard. :v:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Furism posted:

Calling this big boy done! The big skull on his right arm is my first attempt at wet blending. I could be better but I find it okay for a first try!

(sorry, the lightning isn't great)
nice!

assume you wanted the pink primer to make bitchin preshaded yellow armour?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

jesus WEP posted:

nice!

assume you wanted the pink primer to make bitchin preshaded yellow armour?

Thanks!

Yes, although this model doesn't use pink for preshadow. I started it before getting the necessary pink paints and yellow ink I need (I got them now - replaced the Pink Primer by a White Primer + some light pink from Vallejo Air). This is a regular White Primer/Averland sunset/Sun Yellow layering with some Casandora Yellow wash. After painting 2000 points of Orruks I finally got a color I like, but I still find the pink shadow/yellow ink much faster and easier for similar results so I'll do Gordrakk with that technique.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I got one half of a AOS starter for free and speedpainted some of them for a Warcry warband.

I've never liked Stormcast models, but giving them less goofy helmets and a more down to earth color scheme makes them quite nice.

I also hate their pseudo-gun-crossbows - they have crossbow arms, but no bowstring. They even have a charging handle like a gun, and some have detachable box magazines. :confutoot: . So I just cut the arms off, and my guys have full-on guns. Magic guns.

Also, those guys are gigantic. Taller and broader than a primaris space marine, probably over 3m tall in-scale.

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 24, 2020

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Geisladisk posted:

I got one half of a AOS starter for free and speedpainted some of them for a Warcry warband.

I've never liked Stormcast models, but giving them less goofy helmets and a more down to earth color scheme makes them quite nice.

Also, those guys are gigantic. Taller and broader than a primaris space marine, probably over 3m tall in-scale.

Very nice! But your comment on their helmet is nonsense. :colbert:

I do like the Frog Helms you put on them though.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Doing a cross post from AOS.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Please don't suck in the new codex, Doyouthinkhesaurus, please.

Psyber Spine
Jan 18, 2019

Geisladisk posted:

I also hate their pseudo-gun-crossbows - they have crossbow arms, but no bowstring. They even have a charging handle like a gun, and some have detachable box magazines. :confutoot: . So I just cut the arms off, and my guys have full-on guns. Magic guns.

I'm surprised at how well this works!

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Psyber Spine posted:

I'm surprised at how well this works!

It works great because all their "crossbows" are literally fantasy-styled guns with vestigial crossbow arms added as an afterthought. Some of them are even more gun-like:

This dude has what is clearly a pistol with a box magazine with completely superfluous crossbow arms. I wrote off the lack of bowstring as being a limitation of modeling; It is very common for miniatures with bows to not have a string in the plastic, but even in the art they don't have strings.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Was that art made by a fan as an homage or is Age of Sigmar actually that awful? (I apologize if you drew that, it's better than I could do myself.)

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

That is the cover of a official GW book.

Stormcast aesthetics aside, I feel AOS models are generally fantastic, though that picture is goofy.

For instance, this is the model of that shouty lady, and it rules:

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Geisladisk posted:

That is the cover of a official GW book.

Stormcast aesthetics aside, I feel AOS models are generally fantastic, though that picture is goofy.

For instance, this is the model of that shouty lady, and it rules:

I look at purchasing AOS models more often than I should and I'm glad local stores tend to only carry Stormcast because they're so boring-looking that I would never buy them.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Verisimilidude posted:

I look at purchasing AOS models more often than I should and I'm glad local stores tend to only carry Stormcast because they're so boring-looking that I would never buy them.

I got three in the Nightvault box, Stormsire’s Warband or something, and I refer to them as ‘the stockbrokers’. They all have names like Chet or Brink.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Geisladisk posted:

These look really nice.

Where did you get the helmets?

And is that the contrast paint for the armour?

e: wrong question

Seldom Posts fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 24, 2020

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I kind of really love the helmet the red guy is wearing, it's like a plate mail gimp mask.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

I kind of really love the helmet the red guy is wearing, it's like a plate mail gimp mask.

I like to imagine he can't turn his head during combat

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Zaodai posted:

Was that art made by a fan as an homage or is Age of Sigmar actually that awful? (I apologize if you drew that, it's better than I could do myself.)

AoS is awesome but the art style is often a bit meat and potatoes

Here's a mini John Blanche painted that I like

JBP fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 24, 2020

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
AoS artwork is hit-and-miss, and kind of has the same problem a lot of modern popular RPG art does where there's such a house style everything adheres to that it's kind of boring.

AoS models are fantastic.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

My first ever kitbash was to make a 40k Weirdboy out of the superior AoS Orruk Weirdnob model

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

AoS artwork is hit-and-miss, and kind of has the same problem a lot of modern popular RPG art does where there's such a house style everything adheres to that it's kind of boring.

AoS models are fantastic.

It's just very crisp and that makes it boring. There's very little artistic flare, but I think that's because they tell the artists to make the art look like the miniatures right down to posing.

This pic made me want to play KO though. Fighting a bloodthirster from your dorf skyship with cannons and harpoons is awesome

JBP fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 24, 2020

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

I'm going a bit back to thank you for this. I've been using this same type of cheap rear end wet palette now for a week or so, and man does it help a lot! Many of my paints are Army painter drop bottles so I was always wasting paint. It might sound weird, but I was really feeling pressured to batch paint so I could use up my paint before it all dried on my dry palette. Now I'm focusing one model at a time, and if I don't finish no sweat, i put the lid on and the paint is still there tomorrow.

This really is also helping me to keep my paint thin. I'm just trying to get used to adding a bit more paint every so often since it really seems to water some paint down, and a few of the GW layer paints will separate color, but I usually just have to swirl it back together.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Posting up this fully* done group of models, the first painting for me since ~2005ish. I've learned a lot from this thread but still have a ton more to learn. I used a wet palette for the first time with these minis. I'm also very happy about my detail brush work but a long way to go and I feel like wet blending is something I need to try and figure out.

*leaving my flag holder guy off for now as I need to finish up the flag

Some initial questions from me - I hit the metal surfaces and the skulls with Nuln Oil. What else should I consider trying to shade with Nuln? Or perhaps other shade ideas? Any edge highlighting suggestions? Also not sure how to best do faces since I'm too bad at this point to do a white eye with pupil.

I am going to place an order for some yellow and white paint as I have no yellow and just last night discovered the only white I have is a Apothecary White contrast paint which is actually more gray soooo no yellow on the flame ball and no white highlights on the plasma gun.

Album Link

Would love any constructive criticism!

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I couldn't get anything on this loving model to go right, including snapping pegs while reassembling, paint coming off where i had to force it, etc etc

but this came out okay, but only on the loving back of the shoulder where you can't see it

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Verisimilidude posted:

I've thought about buying AoS models recently, and by that, I mean I've thought about buying models that are primarily carry-overs from WHFB.

The Arkhan the Black/Neferata model looks pretty cool, though.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Feb 25, 2020

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Do people here make your own glazes, or buy the premade ones? You can make decent glazes my massively watering down normal acrylics right?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Do people here make your own glazes, or buy the premade ones? You can make decent glazes my massively watering down normal acrylics right?

I make my own using liquitex matte medium, air flow improver, and paint.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qa6a6tqN_o

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Seldom Posts posted:

These look really nice.

Where did you get the helmets?

And is that the contrast paint for the armour?

e: wrong question

The helmets are 3d printed.

I took the helmet from this guy: https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/art/chevalier-harkyn

The other one is from a Heroforge miniature. I found a helmet I liked and ripped the helmet off the model.

The bases are printed as well, from here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3090558

I put some grit on them to give them texture and hide the 3d printed texture.

The metal is Vallejo Steel with a layer of contrast Basilicanum Gray used as a heavy wash.

Chunkystyle
Sep 7, 2018
Managed to get boss of the ghoulies done. I really need to improve my photography game though.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Geisladisk posted:

The helmets are 3d printed.

I took the helmet from this guy: https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/art/chevalier-harkyn

The other one is from a Heroforge miniature. I found a helmet I liked and ripped the helmet off the model.

The bases are printed as well, from here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3090558

I put some grit on them to give them texture and hide the 3d printed texture.

The metal is Vallejo Steel with a layer of contrast Basilicanum Gray used as a heavy wash.

Thanks! Appreciate it.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
First attempt at yellow armor using a yellow ink and undershadowing with White/Light Pink/Dark Pink. I think the result is pretty good, especially because it takes so little time compared to layering the yellow. Also, ignore the bent sword (it's a Reaper miniature) and the little mistakes here and there (it's just a test model).

Any C&C? Not sure how to paint the belt skull or the cape!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Is that a trick specific to yellow or is there some area of colour theory where you can replicate it for any colour? I know that it’s easier to apply red over a dark brown/grey/white zenithal scheme