Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Soup increases discontent, while sawdust increases sickness. You're very rarely in a position where more sick are easier to handle than more discontented.

Plus moonshine basically offsets the soul discontent I think. That or fighting pits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Or just don't feed them for a while and the problem will solve itself provided you have a snow pit.

Griffen
Aug 7, 2008

Tylana posted:

Is it much better or worse than Sawdust, gameplay wise?

I ended up googling the gathering posts a bit and there is the argument they scrap down for a loss of like 2 wood 1 steel. Which isn't an awful cost for freeing up workers for other stuff (and obviously use them for Thumpers.) Only build it out of shift hours of course.

But it seems like the early choices of what to build in what order are a ripe ground for constant fiddling and arguing.

The main appeal of gathering posts is when you want to RP a bit as a benevolent captain and you want to minimize sick people. There is an arguable benefit to gathering posts in that you reduce the number of sick citizens, which increases productivity and allows you to focus your few engineers on getting to 3 working workshops ASAP. I think people in gathering posts work faster than manually collecting from the pile, though you cannot prioritize one resource over the other (e.g. a gathering post in range of a steel wreckage and wooden crates will gather from both equally in terms of manpower/effort). In A New Home, I like to get gathering posts before the temperature drops to -30 deg C, or by day 3, whichever comes sooner.

Echoing everyone else on soup. Soup-Fighting Pits-Moonshine is what I like to refer to as the Rage Soup Economy. It stretches your food by an additional 25% for a relatively manageable cost. Plus, once you get up an running it is easy to go back to regular rations.

I've never gotten to the point of cannibalism, as by the point where you have enough dead bodies to matter I'd already want to restart due to feelings of failure. Almost did at the end of The Builders, but discontent was too high to pass the law, so people just stared at the morgue hungrily and angrily. Seemed a little silly, they should have cannibalism reduce discontent but greatly reduce hope.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The issue with early gathering posts isn't that they're a net loss, it's that they take time and wood to build during a time when you need literally every scrap of wood for other things. Having to recoup that loss over the next day or two when I need a medical post right now is a dealbreaker

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
I'd only build an early gathering post if there's 3 stacks of resources it can grab from; otherwise it's better to just assign individually.

If you have a good handle on your future layout you can also build thumpers around it and not have to scrap it either, but that depends on your wood/steel needs.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

you should definitely build some gathering posts eventually, for me it's just a low priority until the temperature is about to hit -40

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Gathering posts are criminally cheap and also have a faster gather rate than direct assignment. They also refund quite a bit upon recycling.

Always build them.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
they work with thumpers too, which is cool and good.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

They also can use heaters. After the first day or two I never assign labor to a pile directly.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
Got the Golden Path achievement yesterday. Thought I'd post my strategy here, since some of the online ones seem wrong.
  • New Home scenario
  • No deaths
    No deaths from any source, not even random events or exploration. Required a bit of savescumming to get the RNG on my side when saving the survivors from the polar bear attack. Strangely enough, in all my playthroughs I've never had anyone die while exploring Tesla City.
  • No harsh laws
    No child labour, food replacement, emergency shifts, radical treatment, triage, house of pleasure or dueling. Went with Faith, and only unlocked up to the temple and field kitchens. Houses of Healing has an (as far as I know) unavoidable scripted death event, so had to skip those.
  • No "need" events
    No citizen going without a home longer than 24 hours, no homes left cold longer than 24 hours (except during the storm), no sick left untreated longer than 24 hours, no hungry left unfed longer than 24 hours.
  • Save all survivors
    Find and save everyone in the Frostland. Let in all refugees.
  • Complete pacifism
    Do not take any action towards the Londoners. When playing Faith, do not establish Faith Keepers, even when people demand it.

This achievement was mostly down to knowing which laws and actions were "forbidden", so took a few tries. On my first try I think I hosed up by establishing the Faith Keepers to prevent food thefts - Faith Keepers aren't a "crossed the line" law, and the guides I'd read didn't list it as a "forbidden" law either.

Medium difficulty was a bit too easy, but I don't think I could have managed the early game on harder difficulties without any of the "forbidden" actions. During the storm I had 10 days worth of food and coal, and automatons working everything except healthcare - mostly because I wanted my engineers working 24/7 in those warm, nice infirmaries rather than freezing at home. Having played through New Home a couple of times before helped, since I could prepare for incoming refugees and other events well in advance, and also send out scouts to lurk around near where I knew new exploration points would show up.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

No Food Replacement as in No Soup? You can take Soup and still get Golden Path. Faith Keepers will definitely prevent you from getting it, though

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
Yeah, no soup. I know there's a lot of "bad" stuff you can do and still get Golden Path, but I wanted to safe it and also do a completely "good" run.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

QuarkJets posted:

The issue with early gathering posts isn't that they're a net loss, it's that they take time and wood to build during a time when you need literally every scrap of wood for other things. Having to recoup that loss over the next day or two when I need a medical post right now is a dealbreaker

The big thing with gathering posts is that they are additive. You can both assign workers to individual piles, and also have them in range of gathering posts. If you arne't building gathering posts you are being inefficient.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

The big thing with gathering posts is that they are additive. You can both assign workers to individual piles, and also have them in range of gathering posts. If you arne't building gathering posts you are being inefficient.

It doesn't matter; I need a beacon and a scout team on night one, and a bunch of other wood structures on night two. Gathering posts make gathering more efficient but at a cost in time to complete other, much more critical structures during those game-determining first days. There's simply too much benefit to getting critical infrastructure up early

After that? Yeah I build a few gathering posts, but by then a bunch of piles are already depleted.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Gathering posts can sometimes obviated by a day 1 emergency shift. Calling an emergency shift on a gathering pile and full staffing it usually depletes the pile, and nobody will die from an emergency shift if it is called on day 1. Immediately signing and then using emergency shift will let you plunder out the most critical piles, which can easily leave the remaining ones low priority enough that you’re content to wait on them.

That said, after the first 48 hours of a game I think it’s really difficult to argue against gathering posts. They’re a huge upgrade to straight gathering in every conceivable way and after the first 48 hours you really don’t have the Now Now Now excuse of basic infrastructure.

And yes, sawdust is an incredibly self destructive law. The only excuse you have for not having enough food is not putting enough people on the job. The main reason you do this is because you don’t have enough people to go around. In what universe does it make sense for you to try to solve the problem by aggravating the cause of it?

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Feb 19, 2020

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I can't overstate how bad it is to lose efficiency due to sick absences in the early game. Keep workers warm and get a few extra engineers in a second workshop because the medical post is empty.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Finally beat the first scenario on Medium. Was mostly just a romp, although losing people because I thought I only needed them back before SPOILER. Not like SPOILER days before was annoying.

Apparently I went too far despite refusing to make a religious police, just a religious spy network.

Great game. Doubt I'll poke it at max difficulty or anything, but cool and I might try the different scenarios.

EDIT : And I was stuck on 2 Londoners for days, then loaded a save, it dropped to 0, still had some leave while losing 0 people. I could even have given 0 rations to 0 people to have less discontent.

Tylana fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 20, 2020

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Picked this up last night, and enjoying it a lot so far. Had a few bad starts (went too deep in one direction before everything was sustainable), then finally got a fairly decent run, except some of my workspaces weren't heated and I kept slowly losing people until I was eventually banished. I think I should be able to get much farther next run.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Gave the game a whack on Xbox because it was on Game Pass, and dear lord, it controls like absolute rear end. I'll stick to PC.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I was trying the Arks, thought I'd skip tents as the starting temperature is highish (and pushing research like Hothouse and Beacon).

Then the first night 12 people died. On medium. o.O I mean, the generator was off but. Surprised me.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Beat the main scenario last night, took all the refugees and ended with 621 people. (not sure how many more than that you could have with the size of the main ring)
Initial thoughts -
The day 1 emergency shifts on gathering weren't really worth it, but getting extended shifts early is probably important.
-It's really easy to fail early due to lack of wood.
-After the initial few days, there was one more dangerous period where coal was short and I had to turn down the heater, but soon after I got steam coalworks+automatons going and never had coal issues after that.
-There should be more depth in general I think, it's too easy to max out your laws and research, which means there's not too much replayability.
-Once I got to the point where automatons were working all the main resources, there really wasn't much to do for quite a while before the storm. Only a handful of people were working, and I pretty much completely filled out the upgrade tree. It'd be nice if there was just one more lategameish mechanic going on keep things interesting, but all there was to do to my city after a certain point was upgrade tents into houses and fill out storage on the edges, and I don't even think there's room for significantly different builds? I guess maybe going heavy wood and charcoal is an available trade-off midgame option, but even that seems like you'd just go back into charcoal once you stabilize.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
The main depth as far as I know is the higher difficulties are much less forgiving. There's also the other scenarios and the endless mode (with different city maps to work with) in combination with such. But that's just from seeing people chatter in the thread.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Lhet posted:

Initial thoughts -
The day 1 emergency shifts on gathering weren't really worth it, but getting extended shifts early is probably important.
-It's really easy to fail early due to lack of wood.
this is why i like day 1 emergency shifts btw. plunder all the wood piles and use it to get past the initial hump where wood is incredibly important.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I think you can usually go a day or two in the beginning either without the genny on OR no homes, but not both.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Tylana posted:

The main depth as far as I know is the higher difficulties are much less forgiving. There's also the other scenarios and the endless mode (with different city maps to work with) in combination with such. But that's just from seeing people chatter in the thread.
Hmm, might give it some achievement/hard runs then. Still seems like there'd be a certain point mid-run where you run out of meaningful things to do but definitely am gonna play more of the main scenario.

Coolguye posted:

this is why i like day 1 emergency shifts btw. plunder all the wood piles and use it to get past the initial hump where wood is incredibly important.

The lack of wood is less of a "need wood to survive" and more of a "if you don't get long term wood production going fast enough you abruptly lose the ability to continue developing your base and need to restart even though things otherwise seemed to be going ok".

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
You get four difficulty sliders, plus the option of a Survivor mode where you can't even pause the game. Try the scenarios you'll have unlocked though, they offer different stories and approaches. The Arks has you trying to achieve a specific goal with like 55 engineers, for instance. If you found the base game too easy on medium, definitely try the other stuff a tick higher.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tylana posted:

I was trying the Arks, thought I'd skip tents as the starting temperature is highish (and pushing research like Hothouse and Beacon).

Then the first night 12 people died. On medium. o.O I mean, the generator was off but. Surprised me.

If you leave the generator off all night then people who sleep outside can suddenly die. I think it happens in a predictable time interval though, so you can turn on the generator just like midnight to 4am and then turn it off again. It's a common enough Survivor mode strategy to do this for the first few days

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Tylana posted:

Also the self-imposed challenge of only using ethical practices, which really kneecaps a lot of high level hope/discontent modifiers

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Looking for some URANIUM? CLICK HERE

Bogart posted:

I think you can usually go a day or two in the beginning either without the genny on OR no homes, but not both.

If you spend the whole first day gathering stuff, then build a set of tents off hours, you don't need the generator until the temperature starts dropping. a few people get sick though.

If people don't have tents by 3-4AM, a bunch of them die instantly.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
If the gennie is on, they can huddle around it it seems (especially during warmer days). Just caught me by surprise. Was an early restart on the Arks. lol.

Have done Arks and Refugees now. Was pretty fun. Both had a healthy margin thanks to Medium difficulty. Though a sudden pivot to like 5 hot houses in Ark was fun. Took like three or four runs at the first few days of Refugees until I realised there are SOME trees for a sawmill on the map. (Yes, they aren't amazing but when I'm struggling to get enough wood for tier 2 tech at all they are cheep and work.)

Fall of Winterhome is tempting next. Not sure if I want to try it AND bumping difficulty up or not.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Winter home is plenty tough as is. But a small trick, only use this if you get your rear end beat: as soon as the game starts, go into building and remove a ton of roads for an influx of wood.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I'd seen that tip somewhere. Maybe the wiki when I was just poking at what scenarios are around. A little sad I don't have Last Autumn, but got the game on Humble Monthy so can't complain. Might have to buy Last Autumn or the season pass just so the company gets some money for making a cool game. (Pretty sure Humble is usually just a lump sum regardless of how many keys they give out.)

EDIT : Also I like Sawmills because they tidy up the place. Is that weird? :P In Refugees though I built over all the coal mine spaces and got grumpy the deposits still block building.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Sawmills are built because of necessity. Same as coal mines. I would almost always rely on the infinite, if slower, wall drills and coal thumpers. Thumpers especially since you can run an automaton (or group of people, but that’s less feasible as the temperature goes) and a gathering hub.

I haven’t had the spare cash to get last autumn. How do you all think of it? I know, as with the main scenario, one law path is better than the other, but how is the Feel of it?

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

Fun Shoe
Last Autumn is good. It takes the basic gameplay of Frostpunk and puts a twist on it. The new mechanics are well implemented, and definitely keep you on your toes if you're used to Frostpunk's standard "just survive" mechanics. The new laws are interesting, and the workers/engineers split feels more, I dunno, believable than the faith/order split. I wouldn't say that the workers law path is strictly better, but I'd say that the engineers path - unlike basically any other law path in the game - does demand that you commit 100% to it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I like last autumn quite a bit, and I didn't mind paying for it when we got literally every other scenario for free, aside from a single Endless map. I bought the season pass as soon as it was announced because I loved the game and had already felt like I got incredible value out of it

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
So I started playing Fall of Winterhome and now it's 3am.

I did use the tip to springboard some stuff by a day, not that important in the end I think. Though remembering you can is handy for fitting in buildings too

I managed to fully do it but the end was a big rush scrapping every spare house and resource depot I could. My desire to make prosthetics actually set me up decently, though I wish I'd researched Outpost speed earlier (always so much to research though, and I didn't get shift laws for ages, priorities.) I had just had my "This is the last time you can do this" event.

The map does have what seems like a gotcha at the start though. The snow pit for corpses in within the generators heat zone. Got lot a of sick. That or child labor even in nice conditions wears the buggers out.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

Fun Shoe
Never forget that Snow Pit allows you to unlock Organ Transplants, giving you a straight 20% bonus on health care even if there are no corpses in the Snow Pit. If you can take the temporary discontent hit and don't expect too many deaths, I'd say Snow Pit is actually superior to Cemetery.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I like Snow Pit for Organ transplant too. They are less useful if you put them in a heat zone though. I don't know if you get a warning over them.

It feels hard to justify Hothouses usually. Though I guess Foreman/Agitator/Shrine buffs work and you can automaton or long shift them.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Hot houses are best in Arks because you don’t have much of a choice. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Mr. Sunshine posted:

I wouldn't say that the workers law path is strictly better, but I'd say that the engineers path - unlike basically any other law path in the game - does demand that you commit 100% to it.

Disagree. Engineers is strictly better if you are doing a low/no law run because the Factory Inspectorate is incredibly powerful for what it does and obviates the need for a fair bit of research and resource expenditure in order to keep work sites on Safe. If you are actually committing to laws then Workers are strictly better because their buttons actually do you good and do not have downsides. Every Engineer button has some sort of stupid downside that fundamentally compromises the button's strategic value, and their big added mechanic of prison labor demands that you make a massively costly strategic pivot right at the time you need to not be getting distracted from your goal.

I said it before and I stand by it: If Last Autumn's overtime mode had you going to the other generators that failed in order to try to slam them out, Engineers would make a lot more sense because convict labor would allow you to spin up and get going so much faster than workers. But as it stands the heaviest lift happens right as convict labor is becoming a thing you can try and it's like bro how about you gently caress off with that I have another 50 steam exchangers to make.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 24, 2020