Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I'm watching the "Trial of a Time Lord" blu-ray set and it looks about as nice as it can, since it's all on video instead of film. The extended cuts don't have anything extraordinary so far. The story itself is still complete gibberish, even with the extra half hour or so of footage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I picked it up but haven't had a chance to watch it yet (there's SO much other stuff to watch!) but even though it kinda sucks having to pay for them again, I am pretty happy it looks like I can eventually replace all my old DVD sets with Blu-Rays.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Jokes on you all - I knew they had to put whole seasons out in box sets eventually, so I held out on buying DVDs!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

As a lead-in Countryfile doing a feature on a village festival to wake the green man, which frankly sounds like the plot of an episode of who.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Did the teacher die? It looked like he just... got knocked over and looked dazed?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Jerusalem posted:

Did the teacher die? It looked like he just... got knocked over and looked dazed?

Theres been a bit of that this season, in at least one previous episode I thought someone was stunned when they were supposed to be dead.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Its Granda Joe!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I get the weirdest feeling this Cyber-Leader is gonna go,"EXCELLENT!"

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I started out assuming the Ginger Garda was going to turn out to be the lone cyberman, but I'm revising it to Grandpa Joe.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Welp, I wasnt expecting him at the end!

I enjoyed that, it certainly moved along a good pace.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That was an extremely weird episode, I don't think it's going to make any kind of sense until (hopefully) next week, but this new Cyberman really isn't working for me in terms of being a threat, even with the Cyberium in him I don't see the other Cybermen going along with a leader that still has all its emotions running wild.

There's actually a Big Finish audio that does a really interesting/fun thing with the same kind of premise, a hyper-advanced Cyberman from far in the future that is trying to use time-travel to prevent the Cybermen's ultimate defeat. It manages to make it back to Mondas and the original Cybermen but is damaged in the process, and because it is different they emotionlessly declare that it is faulty and proceed to tear it apart and rebuild it in their image while it screams at them to listen to what it is trying to say. It's chilling and extremely effective, and that's lacking in this character (also what the hell was the bit with it seemingly torturing/ripping open the one Cybertroop it found?).

Chuff McNothing
Sep 9, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
To confirm what thought it was: retired cop was the kid and the dad hadn't aged?

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Chuff McNothing posted:

To confirm what thought it was: retired cop was the kid and the dad hadn't aged?

Yes. My guess was the whole Irish village part was some kind of dream state for the dormant cybermen, then the bit with the retirement was the cyberman getting forcibly activated. I could be way off-base though.

Barry the Sprout
Jan 12, 2001

By the end I thought the baby had been sent through the Boundary, or whatever the big swirly energy thing was called, previously.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah I assumed it was some mental conditioning thing to prep for conversion, and that we're seeing the Last Cyberman caught in a kind of loop because his conversion never actually completed. Could be waaaay off and it has nothing to do with it at all, but the headphones they put on him did give him a proto-Cyberman look.

Chuff McNothing
Sep 9, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I also thought the boundary was supposed to go to different places every time or something like that?

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah I assumed it was some mental conditioning thing to prep for conversion, and that we're seeing the Last Cyberman caught in a kind of loop because his conversion never actually completed. Could be waaaay off and it has nothing to do with it at all, but the headphones they put on him did give him a proto-Cyberman look.

Yeah, the kid's name wasn't given for a while and I was expecting a dramatic reveal that it was Ashad.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Chuff McNothing posted:

I also thought the boundary was supposed to go to different places every time or something like that?

It is, in this particular instance it showed Gallifrey though and the old guy said he'd never seen it do anything like that before.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So I'm poking my head in as the series nears its end- how has it been?

I've largely fallen off the Who wagon due to a combination of Moffat and the hiatus killing the momentum for me. Series 11 was largely good but there were some episodes I had serious problems with. How's 12 been?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Season started strong, lagged a bit, got REALLY weird in a very fun way then the last 2-3 episodes have just been quite good but not particularly standout and it looks like the weirdness is about to creep up again.

This really feels like a season that is going to rely heavily on the context of the overall season before I can judge how I feel about it.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Burkion posted:

So I'm poking my head in as the series nears its end- how has it been?

I've largely fallen off the Who wagon due to a combination of Moffat and the hiatus killing the momentum for me. Series 11 was largely good but there were some episodes I had serious problems with. How's 12 been?

Few duds, but some really good stuff. They've fixed a fair few issues I had with series 11, like how they've embraced the lore in crazy ways rather than have it at arms length. There's only been two episodes I disliked, the rest have been ok to good.

There's three great twist/reveals that you should go into not knowing anything about.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 23, 2020

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Good on the whole. There's been one glaring stinker and a few so-so episodes, but that's kind of typical for any series. Whittaker's grown into the role and been given a chance to show more range. I'd say it's mostly addressed the common complaints about series 11, but there are still issues with clunky, overly expository dialogue and trouble juggling the three companions. There's a lot riding on the finale and the potential for a Hell Bent level of making GBS threads the bed.

I've definitely felt the low episode count this time round. I was OK with Series 11 only being 10 episodes, since they were all standalone and the new year's special wasn't long after the regular finale. This time though, the multi-parters make the series seem really short.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I think it's mostly been very, very mediocre. No total disasters like last time but also nothing particularly great either.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh God wait next week is the final episode?

No, nooooo :gonk:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
There are some genuinely bonkers designs in this episode.

The spaceship with a spinning internal and external wall? The floating Cyberheads? (Which at least make sense, what you gonna do if you have a whole bunch of spare heads lying around?) Also Cyber shuttles are powered by mocap?

Also how dead is Julie Graham? Are we taking bets? I'm betting "very dead".

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Open Source Idiom posted:

Also how dead is Julie Graham? Are we taking bets? I'm betting "very dead".

Was she the one I kept thinking was called Ravioli?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Jerusalem posted:

Oh God wait next week is the final episode?

No, nooooo :gonk:

I actually thought tonight's episode was the last one, so it was a pleasant surprise for me! I watched another film about cyborgs that ended just as the protagonist was about to get to the epic area yesterday so I was prepared for this to end just as it felt like it was getting started too.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
So the magic dreamcatcher portal is some sort of conversion device, yeah? Shows people what they desire, gives them a happy life in exchange for turning them into spare parts? Like the Matrix films, but, uh, Irish?

Voting Floater posted:

Was she the one I kept thinking was called Ravioli?

That's the ticket.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Episode should have ended exactly 2 sentences earlier than it did.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Open Source Idiom posted:

Also Cyber shuttles are powered by mocap?

Yeah that part was silly. Would've always made more sense if they just interfaced directly or the ship used a human brain wired into it.

I actually like the broken Cyberman leader. He's a really interesting concept even if yeah it makes less sense he could stay in charge.

And yes I think the Irish village is what's going on in his head.

Jerusalem posted:

That was an extremely weird episode, I don't think it's going to make any kind of sense until (hopefully) next week, but this new Cyberman really isn't working for me in terms of being a threat, even with the Cyberium in him I don't see the other Cybermen going along with a leader that still has all its emotions running wild.

Jerusalem posted:

(also what the hell was the bit with it seemingly torturing/ripping open the one Cybertroop it found?).

I think these are related. I think he's using the Cyberium to hack the other Cybermen into following him.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 24, 2020

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Not sure how I feel about that one. Once again had plot as subtle as a sledgehammer but it flowed gently into the mythos that we don't yet have answers for.

Chuff McNothing posted:

Okay glad I'm not the only one who couldn't tell the difference between the white guys.

Chuff McNothing
Sep 9, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jerusalem posted:

It is, in this particular instance it showed Gallifrey though and the old guy said he'd never seen it do anything like that before.

yeah sorry, reacting here to reddit theories that the humans going through were the original time lords and thinking that makes no sense because they didn't go to gallifrey

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I enjoyed that a lot, but we'll see where this is all going.

It's good to see the cybermen continue to actually be threatening, though the floaty heads were a bit silly. Could be they just reminded me of Handles :rip:

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

So did anyone else notice that the broken down little ship looked like a proto-tardis inside?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Man I really like (spoiler for people who aren't caught up) this version of The Master. He really hits the right notes for me. There's some mix of chaos and coping with failure that really works

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah that part was silly. Would've always made more sense if they just interfaced directly or the ship used a human brain wired into it.

I actually like the broken Cyberman leader. He's a really interesting concept even if yeah it makes less sense he could stay in charge.

And yes I think the Irish village is what's going on in his head.

I think these are related. I think he's using the Cyberium to hack the other Cybermen into following him.

Sounded to me that he is a CyberFan who wants to be a Cyberman and didn't make the cut for conversion. So he made a janky suit out of Spare Parts (lol get it) and is programming them to follow him.

Jerusalem posted:

There's actually a Big Finish audio that does a really interesting/fun thing with the same kind of premise, a hyper-advanced Cyberman from far in the future that is trying to use time-travel to prevent the Cybermen's ultimate defeat. It manages to make it back to Mondas and the original Cybermen but is damaged in the process, and because it is different they emotionlessly declare that it is faulty and proceed to tear it apart and rebuild it in their image while it screams at them to listen to what it is trying to say. It's chilling and extremely effective, and that's lacking in this character (also what the hell was the bit with it seemingly torturing/ripping open the one Cybertroop it found?).

Yeah, and one of the Mondasian Cybermen who finds him was Zheng from Spare Parts, apparently still alive centuries later. He's notable as one of the first Cyber conversions and as such still retained his name.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What is with the Master and Cybermen

How do they keep getting tangled up

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ascension of the Cybermen gifs - click to view:

I'm surprised at how much I liked the new (mix of old) design(s) of the Cybermen.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I like how a lot of episodes start off with one thing and then goes off on a completely new direction.

That episode was bleak but confusing. The secondary story about the kidcop should have had some explanation about why it was in the show by the end. Like at one point I thought we were going to find out that this was Graham that he was a secret time lord or something else goofy. Though you're right, its probably the Halfcyberman's brain going on the fritz.

I am curious what this big EVERYTHING YOU'VE BEEN TOLD IS A LIE thing is going to be. It can't be the time lords are actually bad because, duh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

It can't be the time lords are actually bad because, duh.

If that's the Master's big reveal and the Doctor goes,"....uhh... yeah, I know...." and then it turns out the Master is like pre-Jacobi or something and he's just shown up to some after-echo of the Time War and made some crazy loving assumptions I'd laugh my rear end off.