Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Animal Crossing New Horizons will be GOTY.

No.

Animal Crossing New Horizons will be GOTY for the next 7 years, for 20 minutes every day!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooks
Apr 18, 2007

Well! What is it!

Willo567 posted:

I sincerely hope having eight players didn't reduce the number of animal villagers we can have.

I've been worried about this as well. I'd like at least 12 villagers this time

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Hihohe posted:

Did they say if you can customize your character at the beginning or is it still the questionnaire to see what kind of character you get?

There's a screenshot out there that shows it's a customization menu. Your character is standing on a yellow leaf background and you have skin tones and facial features, the mouth you want, 4-6 hair styles to pick from and there's a tab for noses and a tab for mouths

I'm not sure if Rover pulls you into a pocket dimension to find out what you look like or if Rover is in that grave yet.

E: Found it, someone circled the options for some reason but still

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Feb 23, 2020

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Are there going to be beards?... cause I really want a beard for my guy.

====For later===
H=L
T=W

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 21, 2020

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Infinitum posted:

Are there going to be beards?... cause I really want a beard for my guy.

Probably! One of the random villagers in the Direct had a goatee.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Mooks posted:

I've been worried about this as well. I'd like at least 12 villagers this time

I would like, at the minimum, 10 villagers

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Depends on the size of the island I suppose.

They have to allow for a maximum of 8 player houses on the island, right? Will those cut into possible villager limits or did they allow enough space for 10 villagers, 8 players, and all of the facilities too? I imagine so based on the zoomed out minimap looking huge in the direct but who knows.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/ACWorldBlog/status/1231498162151600129

Looks like you get a pinata for your birthday.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Oh my god you can get a jug of protein powder

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

There's only 8 total hairstyles to choose from at the start?? In the Direct it shows 2 sets of 8 styles, and 8 colours you can unlock with Nook Miles. I'm guessing it's way more than that eventually.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

The pinata is actually a villager you hate. This is the reason for the tombstones.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

They have to allow for a maximum of 8 player houses on the island, right? Will those cut into possible villager limits or did they allow enough space for 10 villagers, 8 players, and all of the facilities too? I imagine so based on the zoomed out minimap looking huge in the direct but who knows.

Apparently the map is slightly larger than the one in New Leaf

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/c6jl2b/animal_crossing_new_horizons_map_size/

Not only that, but houses can apparently be placed on the beach this time

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Willo567 posted:

Apparently the map is slightly larger than the one in New Leaf

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/c6jl2b/animal_crossing_new_horizons_map_size/

Not only that, but houses can apparently be placed on the beach this time

Yeah one of the first things they showed during E3 was placing your tent on the beach.

Another thing to keep in mind is that houses can be placed right up against rivers now

So theoretically you should be able to place them right next to cliffs or each other.

Even if the map was the same size as New Leaf you would still have a lot more room to work with just because New Horizons doesn't have this restriction that New Leaf has. Which hopefully means we can have more animal friends living on our island too.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

PeePot posted:

There's only 8 total hairstyles to choose from at the start?? In the Direct it shows 2 sets of 8 styles, and 8 colours you can unlock with Nook Miles. I'm guessing it's way more than that eventually.

This seems in line with New Leaf at least; there's a relatively plain set of hairstyles to start with, but once you unlock Shampoodle you get a lot more options, and unlock even more appearance things like dye and contacts.

I'm guessing the islands are going to be big, since it looks like not only all the villager houses but all the facilities, including the museum and shops, are manually placed there.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I'm really hoping that you can play a hybird online and couch multiplayer. It would be cool if my sister and I could play with friends who live in other states, and their kids.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Actually might be a question as to how far in you unlock terrain manipulation, since I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't move usable buildings once placed.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Actually might be a question as to how far in you unlock terrain manipulation, since I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't move usable buildings once placed.

The direct said you could move your house and the shops.

It didn't say if you could move the animal villagers, but it would be weird if you could move everything else, but them.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Electric Phantasm posted:

The direct said you could move your house and the shops.

It didn't say if you could move the animal villagers, but it would be weird if you could move everything else, but them.

Didn't it say you can decide where they set up home in the first place? It'd be weird if they gave you that option along with the option to move other stuff and then said "oh but not these particular buildings you already manually placed once days/weeks/months ago"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
I hope your neighbors get annoyed if you move their house.

vanisher
Jul 12, 2005

Fun Shoe
Every day shuffling the houses to gaslight my animals

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I'm glad we get to place their houses now, really hated it when a new villager would move in some random and inconvenient spot.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Fairly sure you can move the animal villagers considering a lot of the clips on the Direct had very compact "town" like layouts with many houses close to one another

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Zodack posted:

Fairly sure you can move the animal villagers considering a lot of the clips on the Direct had very compact "town" like layouts with many houses close to one another

That could be easily accomplished by simply putting them close together in the first place

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

i'm probably just going to go the boring route and have a main central building hub with roads and a shopping plaza, on this island escape where anything is possible

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArzEBnYVSCA

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Gripweed posted:

That could be easily accomplished by simply putting them close together in the first place

I mean yes, absolutely this could be true. But given everything else we've seen and heard about the features of New Horizons I want to believe that you can relocate villager's houses, too. Placing them at the start makes sense from a protective perspective - maybe you've got a garden, a stump, or some other features. But moving them again after that fits very well with the customizability theme of the game.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Something I’m really enjoying seeing is that it looks like the villagers are much more “alive” so to speak. In some of the videos and screenshots, they interact with furniture and will sit on chairs and benches which is great. Looks like they will actually fish too! I don’t remember if they did that before or just walked around with fishing rods.

Hoping to see the villagers have more interactions with the world. That would be nice. :)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Maybe we'll see them making their own loan payments to Lord Nook.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I love seeing the villagers more animated and I also hope that they have even more daily interactions and different conversations than they did previously. I love New Leaf but after a point talking to the villagers daily started to show the "gamey-ness" of the game where it felt inorganic

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Zodack posted:

Nook has a relocation option, and a few minutes later it shows that you can relocate shops, so honestly it'd be weird not to be able to move animal houses, especially since you can place them now.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I don't think they need 8 player houses; 4 of those players have to come from online people, so why would they have a house on your island? I could however see 4 player houses, to allow for everyone on your Switch to have their own place (since you can only have one island per Switch).

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Nemo2342 posted:

I don't think they need 8 player houses; 4 of those players have to come from online people, so why would they have a house on your island? I could however see 4 player houses, to allow for everyone on your Switch to have their own place (since you can only have one island per Switch).

What? They said in the direct that it's 8 players per island and that each player gets their own house. :confused:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Ah man, I didn't know we only get 1 island per console. I'm gonna have to figure out how to handle that with my 6 year old. lol this will be interesting.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

My biggest worry is again the whole NPC thing.

I've had 7 years of New Leafs bland watered down villagers and like, they were fine at first but I tried to start a new town last week to kill time in and the very thought of talking to them wasn't appealing even though I got a few villagers I liked. They just aren't interesting and all they do is pathfind around the town staring at trees.

Yeah now they can sit down and bunny eats the ice cream, but I hope there's more chores they can ask for- more mini games like hide and seek and more stuff to make talking to them actually interesting. I can renovate a entire island and make it look good but I don't want things to slack on the villager front :smith: That and we've only seen the 4-5 new villagers floating around so part of me is worried the focus was put entirely on customizing the island.

I'm sure I'm overly fretting tough

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Nemo2342 posted:

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

What? They said in the direct that it's 8 players per island and that each player gets their own house. :confused:

Yeah it's 8 players per island, the confusion here is that local co-op is a max of 4 players at a time whereas online it's 8.

You can still have 8 players with 8 houses on one island, but only 4 playing locally at the same time :)

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV5jJrv2kjY

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Gamecube let you have 15 animal villagers so I just hope we go back to that- or at the very least 12-14

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Right now I'm thinking of doing a house in the middle of a lake on the upper tier, then a huge waterfall leading down to the lower tier with three rivers separating off from it. I really want a lush river country feel for my island.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

TurnipFritter posted:

Nook has a relocation option, and a few minutes later it shows that you can relocate shops, so honestly it'd be weird not to be able to move animal houses, especially since you can place them now.

Right -- I don't see why this wouldn't apply to villagers as well. Exciting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stool Sample
Nov 8, 2006

EVERYONE Poops!?

Lipstick Apathy
I just remembered that I hadn't used my amazon gift card from Christmas, so instead of doing digital or shopping around for pre-order swag I'm just using that. Spending only 16ish bux on a new game beats pre-order junk every time!

I also looked around and realized I did, in fact, throw out all the amiibo cards I bought, thinking they would no longer be useful. I had both Marshall and Ahnka :negative:
Any chance they're getting reprinted? I'd very much like Gayle to move into my town. Gators aren't even my fav. animal type, she was just so charming and won me over as the Best Villager.

While I'm at it, here is my code and nintendo username for the GoonSpreadsheet:

Switch: SW-1424-2663-5906
Username: StülSample