Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Did some streamer (lol) play your level, I wonder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I've had that happen twice and both times made me do a double take.

The RNG on being discovered is crazy, and when it picks you out you can feel it :v:

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

I'm not entirely sure? Looking at the played by list at a glance didn't reveal anything, and it wasn't on the hot or popular tabs. I literally have no clue!

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

OneMoreTime posted:

I'm not entirely sure? Looking at the played by list at a glance didn't reveal anything, and it wasn't on the hot or popular tabs. I literally have no clue!

I see it at #133 or #19 if I filter by super expert. I’m sure it was probably top 20 on the main page for a bit but hard levels tend to fall off pretty quick.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I've had that happen twice and both times made me do a double take.

The RNG on being discovered is crazy, and when it picks you out you can feel it :v:

There’s definitely a method to it. From what I’ve observed, if you can get about 80 plays within a week and have a decent like ratio you’ll end up in popular. I have enough people following me that I can pretty much count on the same players getting my levels up there in a few days but unless the level is just the right mix of short, easy, and novel it doesn’t hang around long.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 21, 2020

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Ah! I just looked at the top 100 so that'd explain why I missed it.

Oh, and here's tonight's level list for my stream at 5 PM PST/8 PM EST

https://www.twitch.tv/onemoretimegfsn

1. Homing Hazards
By: Sam Faust 0H5-J3F-LKG

2. Let's Kick Shell
By: Scrub Lover JY6-HWF-Y1G

3. The Miners Strike of 2020
By: Jasoneatspizza Q06-H74-W5G

4. Turtles, Mier y Noriega
By: Mr P Mosh DR4-FVW-7WF

5. Patience Shows The Way
By: NicolasNSane 209-6Y7-G7G

6. Bowser Jr's Castle
By: Roob001 1JW-5NJ-4VG

7. The Treasure in the Sky
By: Matteezy NCG-B2D-2SF

8. 5 Backwards shell throws
By: OreosArePoo 3NQ-LSL-8SG

9. Don't Fear The Reaper
by: DamagedHells XWQ-HVC-S1H

10. 1-1 Slippery Snake
By: Rileru 8TV-383-J3G

11. Game of Shrooms: Beyond the Wall
ASongofMikeandJay: L6J-GWM-NKG

12. Mega-Jeff Caverns -
By: Kabansmash S1N-21R-9HG

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Oh, congrats!

Yeah, there's a sort of ratio of likes/plays needed, as well as a plays threshold you need to pass, and then it suddenly shows up in the popular tab. I'm not sure exactly what the numbers are this game, but sometimes your level will flash up in a moment and get play-bombed, and it usually happens while you're not looking.

In other news, I still really love the SMW desert theme:

Last Ride of the Choco Express
QVC-HW9-LYF

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i think it's funny that it feels like increasing the number of players compared to the original game means that less people overall are playing any one of my levels because there are just that many more levels to play. i feel like it took me three okay-ish levels in the first game to get half the number of likes I have in this one, and i drat sure know they weren't as good (mainly because i rebuilt some of those to not be poo poo).

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Going live in 15 minutes with some levels!

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

jasoneatspizza posted:

Cool concept! Hadn't played any levels using this particular gimmick before. It was interesting figuring out how to manipulate the spike balls in your favor. Also had a nice ramping up of difficulty. I gave it a like!

I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

I have made a sequel to "defeat twenty miles". It is called "defeat twenty large moles" and I hate it about as much as I hate the original.

6L3-WFL-01H

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Dry Dry Underworld

NHQ-YVB-MYF

Run across the dry dry desert & send koopas to their deaths below. Beware though, as you come across the underworld & the experience the eternal anguish of your foes.

Enjoy this classic style level in the SMB1 theme.

Gnome Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2007

The skies are always sunny in the heart of flavor country.
The Stacks - 2GV-3WB-0FG - This started out with the falling / moving downwards gimmick and wound up feeling like a stage from an old Game Boy game. No, I will not explain what that means.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Made a new level with what I think is a fun theme

A Toad construction company has reached out to Mario and his friends. They're having trouble building a fancy new hotel apparently as ghosts attack them at night. Mario finds this claim to be a bit silly so he agrees to check it out. Let's hope he can reach the end :ghost:

Also played a handful of levels, here's the notes I made on them!

Homing Hazards - Sam Faust
Fun level that makes a good use of the homing spikes. Managed to clear it first go around so pretty happy with that, but I can also see why people would have trouble with it. Only thing I can think of to improve it would be maybe giving the player one more mushroom after the flag. I got the one at the start and my nerves were rattled for the rest of it wondering 'there's going to be another one right?'

Let's Kick Shell - scrub lover
Wound up quitting out, partly out of frustration and partly as I was low on time tonight.
I tried going the P-Switch path and after the first kick I wasn't sure what to do with the gray blocks. I tried timing a shell past them and just wound up killing myself too many times, so then I tried to run through it and made it the first couple times and died to the snake block as I had no idea where it was going to turn and wind up at. Final few attempts at it the cement blocks got out of synch so it would be impossible to walk by them and ultimately I still didn't really know if I was tackling that problem right.

Last Ride of the Choco Express - Last Visible Dog
Extremely cute level goodness. I was kind of confused at first as I figured it would just plop me down on the train but that was just me being stupid.
Fireflower meant I just had to kind of stand in place while it chugged along but it was a lot of fun visually so I have no complaints. If you're going to make a easy level at least make it interesting and you did just that. I dug it.

Dry Dry Underworld - Palmtree Panic
Very last part of the stage killed me a few times due to low ceiling jumps but overall I enjoyed it and would kill all the koopas again. They really do deserve it tbh.
Stages like this are straight forward and simple and I can appreciate them a lot in general. Bone coaster stuff is a bit eh but that's a personal feeling more than anything. It's just a fun quality stage honestly.

The Stacks - Gnome Enthusiast
Pretty alright level but needs a bit more escalation in it if that makes any sense. I kinda felt like I was just falling down a lot without any real danger thrown at me as it was easy to just jump over everything due to always having the higher ground. I kinda had trouble with the same problem when I tried to make a level like it a good while back.
I like the idea behind the looping room though at the start, that was a pretty fun falling gimmick even if the player wasn't in much danger at all during it. Down-well levels are just naturally hard I think :v:

tonberi
Oct 17, 2003

Here's a thing with wigglers:

81S-V9C-4KF - Wiggler Tunnel

Ride some wigglers and find a secret or two. Not terribly difficult for the most part, I hope.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Man, this thread was busy over the weekend! Here's the level list for tonight's stream at 5 PM PST/ 8 PM EST

1. Defeat Twenty Large Moles
By: Flint_Paper 6L3-WFL-01H

2. Dry Dry Underworld
By: Palmtree Panic NHQ-YVB-MYF

3. The Stacks
By: Gnome Enthusiast 2GV-3WB-0FG

4. Banshee Bog
By: ThisIsACoolGuy X38-J9N-RKG

5. Wiggler Tunnel
By: Tonberi 81S-V9C-4KF

6. Le Block Circus
By: BloodyBandana VNM-HX7-HMF

7. Legend of Zelda: Flower of Love
By: Burnbarrel666 JG8-VXP-35G

8. Coptor Pilot
By: Dr. Doctor 1992 43J-THY-TPF

9. SMW 3D World - Luigi's Mansion
By: Cloestofer J7W-RK8-HVF

10. Piranha Plant Cliffs
By: Brandon21424 KWG-2S2-WGF

11. Mario cause global warming
By: parmaeater101 4R0-GJY-TKF

12. The "Long Jump" Down
By: Kuyajayv1413 J7C-7KS-JTG

13. AskingFurret's stage
By: AskingFurret DKP-347-MGG

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I need to try out some of the levels that have been posted, I've been slacking!

I wanted to make a level with a gimmick, and after two mediocre unpublished puzzle-style levels, I instead went with a mediocre platforming level with a gimmick! And because I really love this tile set.

Plumber's Plant Panic
V2D-NJ2-FRF

SMB3 again (because it has my favorite platforming of the 3 classic styles). Level is half submersed in water, but power-ups are peppered throughout!

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Palmtree Panic posted:

Dry Dry Underworld

NHQ-YVB-MYF

Run across the dry dry desert & send koopas to their deaths below. Beware though, as you come across the underworld & the experience the eternal anguish of your foes.

Enjoy this classic style level in the SMB1 theme.. I'm

This was an enjoyable level! I died a few times to those damned platforms that push you through the ceiling. I moved faster than I normally would have because that sound effect kept playing as I stalled on the dry bones, and I hate ghost blocks.

Enjoy my rendition of a Koopa Troopa in the desert.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Made a new level with what I think is a fun theme

A Toad construction company has reached out to Mario and his friends. They're having trouble building a fancy new hotel apparently as ghosts attack them at night. Mario finds this claim to be a bit silly so he agrees to check it out. Let's hope he can reach the end :ghost:

I usually hate dark levels, but this provided me with enough light most of the time to be an enjoyable, if tense and slow, platforming experience. I died a few times near the end because those damned hidden ghost moving platform things drive me up the wall. I'm sure there's a pattern to them, but I usually just say, "gently caress it" and either rush and die (they pop up to say hello right where you're standing).

Enjoy my scribble of a Boo.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

And we're going live with some Mario Maker in about ten minutes!

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

And stream complete! Had an awful OBS crash but hey it worked out fine.

VODS: Part 1: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/557415593
Part 2: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/557487331

Level list:

1. Defeat Twenty Large Moles 00:29:45
By: Flint_Paper 6L3-WFL-01H

2. Dry Dry Underworld 00:42:00
By: Palmtree Panic NHQ-YVB-MYF

3. The Stacks 01:00:15
By: Gnome Enthusiast 2GV-3WB-0FG

4. Banshee Bog 01:26:45
By: ThisIsACoolGuy X38-J9N-RKG

5. Wiggler Tunnel 02:10:00
By: Tonberi 81S-V9C-4KF

Part 2:

7. Legend of Zelda: Flower of Love 00:02:30
By: Burnbarrel666 JG8-VXP-35G

8. Coptor Pilot 00:12:15
By: Dr. Doctor 1992 43J-THY-TPF

9. SMW 3D World - Luigi's Mansion 00:19:00
By: Cloestofer J7W-RK8-HVF

10. Piranha Plant Cliffs 00:28:15
By: Brandon21424 KWG-2S2-WGF

11. Mario cause global warming 00:47:15
By: parmaeater101 4R0-GJY-TKF

12. The "Long Jump" Down 01:04:15
By: Kuyajayv1413 J7C-7KS-JTG

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

There’s a new ninji speedrun up!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

83P-BNN-5WG

Big Boos' Castle Hassle

Been a while since I made a level, it's probably a bit overturned difficulty wise. First time making a level that's more like a standard "Mario maker" level than a standard "Mario" level, since it has timed rooms and wall scrolling and a boss encounter.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

J-Spot posted:

There’s a new ninji speedrun up!

Perfect timing.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Prowler posted:

I usually hate dark levels, but this provided me with enough light most of the time to be an enjoyable, if tense and slow, platforming experience. I died a few times near the end because those damned hidden ghost moving platform things drive me up the wall. I'm sure there's a pattern to them, but I usually just say, "gently caress it" and either rush and die (they pop up to say hello right where you're standing).

Enjoy my scribble of a Boo.

The boo scribble is great! And I'll have to rethink floor boos moving forward then. My idea for them was to show the player where there was flooring while still being dangerous so I still don't have a lot of knowledge about how they work 'behind the scenes' in things. Glad you liked it though! I think!

Going to try to get through some more thread levels soon, but already putting this out.

Tried to make a pretty short breezy course with minimum challenge while still being fun. There's a few tricky one ups and a hidden exit pipe so replayability might be nice if you want to go for it. It's just Mario trying to re-enter the Mushroom Kingdom and doing a simple border check. :v:

It's actually me trying to build a tough but fair level that has you climbing and falling, the camera works in frustrating ways in vertical levels so feedback on that would be nice if anyone plays it!

Prowler
May 24, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The boo scribble is great! And I'll have to rethink floor boos moving forward then. My idea for them was to show the player where there was flooring while still being dangerous so I still don't have a lot of knowledge about how they work 'behind the scenes' in things. Glad you liked it though! I think!

Oh, no, I liked it. I would have immediately dipped from a dark level if I wasn't enjoying it. OneMoreTime more or less echoed my complaints about the floor boos (and died in the exact same way I did--one appearing right beneath him).

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think Boo Bars always reappear directly under your feet yeah. I like using them because Mario Maker regular Boos move so glacially that they're absolutely never a thread like in the actual games they're from. Also I think Boo Bars on a slope are cute.

Gnome Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2007

Cloudy Clouds - 600-6R9-39G - If I were you folks, I'd take the description's advice.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Gnome Enthusiast posted:

Cloudy Clouds - 600-6R9-39G - If I were you folks, I'd take the description's advice.

I'm a sucker for a good left to right traditional SMB1 course and I adored this one. It's very fun to speedrun but that loving sledge bro in your pic killed several attempts.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Gnome Enthusiast posted:

Fun level! Has a very classic feel and is really well-designed for speedrunning.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Cloudy Clouds - Gnome Enthusiast
Really simple and clean level. Not a terrible lot to say other than I liked it really :v:. Hammer bros are usually a pain but they weren't used incorrectly so I enjoyed it. The only two tips I can really think of are right next to each other.
Right after the checkpoint there's a para-goomba on a cliffside with two green koopas. I fried the goomba and it was kinda annoying getting up onto the ledge due to how high up it was, that and the leges were close to the top of the screen which I personally try to avoid just for readability sake. Really not that big of a deal though.
I liked it!

Big Boos' Castle Hassle - In Training
The level itself was fine for the most part (and heck it taught me that yeah boo bars have a place they like to emerge) but the boss fight was kind of frustrating. I felt like I was getting bonked on the head by the bombs more than the ghosts themselves. If I stopped to get the mushroom or fire flower in the room and bombs built up it kind of felt like I needed to tank a hit. I might just be dumb though who knows. That's about all I really have to complain about so I think that means it's a good level :v:

Plumber's Plant Panic - Prowler
I think this has the basis of being a real fine level, but it could use more hazards as the fire flower removes just about everything possibly dangerous from the stage. After I got it from the flag I just held right and didn't even see another enemy after getting in the shell. It's not bad but some fire proof enemies or tools to slow down players would be a good idea to think about! Not bad, just really simple :)

Wiggler Tunnel - tonberi
This level is extremely silly. There's a few blind-ish jumps that had me holding my breath and the grinders after the first checkpoint felt kind of random but other than that it was pretty amusing. On the last stretch I somehow kept jumping on the rail-less wigglers and fell to my death so felt pretty unlucky there but it made me chuckle more than anything. Last part was frantic because I had no idea if I was going to make it or not. Exciting stuff!

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Level list for tonight's stream at 5 PM PST/8 PM EST

1. Plumber's Plant Panic
By: Prowler V2D-NJ2-FRF

2. Big Boos' Castle Hassle
By: In Training 83P-BNN-5WG

3. Border Bounding
By: ThisIsACoolGuy

4. Cloudy Clouds
By: Gnome Enthusiast 600-6R9-39G

5. Snowed In
By: DJ Smash GSJ-HX8-81G

6. Mario Bros Pro Skater
By: FlexibleBanana NRG-1K7-RLF

7. Spinball
By: Dargaran VBV-HYT-LHF

8. Palace of White Silence
By: MERTx123 14Y-H5H-QDF

9. The Greatest Level Ever Made 7
By: Tickle Th1s Elmo QNB-2XK-71G

10. A Volcanic Dream
By: TelltaleSickness 0WM-2DV-L7G

11. Bowser's Hidden Treasure Room
By: Iamsobob B4W-P07-G7G

12. Citroen BX
By: Vacky QLY-S80-85G

Prowler
May 24, 2004

OneMoreTime posted:

Level list for tonight's stream at 5 PM PST/8 PM EST

1. Plumber's Plant Panic
By: Prowler V2D-NJ2-FRF

For what it's worth, you've actually already played my level--I added it to the viewer list last time. :) (IGN: LilLowlife)

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm just like... a fountain of levels lately I guess :sweatdrop:

Theme of this course was to make something that could realistically be in a actual Mario game, use as much space in fun ways as possible, keep it mid-game tier in difficulty and finally something that might be fun to speedrun.

I kind of wish there was a way to reward players with something other than 1-ups, but there's four of them hidden/sprinkled about the stage. Couple are easy to get, one is missable unless you do a perfect run and one you have to go out of your way into a offbeat path. I think it came out alright :)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

As someone who plays a good amount of Endless 1-ups are lovely bonuses.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Prowler posted:

For what it's worth, you've actually already played my level--I added it to the viewer list last time. :) (IGN: LilLowlife)

Well, that's embarrassing! Thanks for pointing that out.

Also, going live in ten minutes

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i i caught up again drat

https://twitter.com/aquamarinephant/status/1228801663546183680

https://twitter.com/aquamarinephant/status/1233242903536779266

https://twitter.com/aquamarinephant/status/1233243686797889538

https://twitter.com/aquamarinephant/status/1233243994101993472

https://twitter.com/aquamarinephant/status/1233244336457826304

https://twitter.com/aquamarinephant/status/1233249508319846405

if this is too many tweets yell at me and i'll break their legs links

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010

That last goomba has gotten quite a few people so far!

Gnome Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2007

J-Spot posted:

I'm a sucker for a good left to right traditional SMB1 course and I adored this one. It's very fun to speedrun but that loving sledge bro in your pic killed several attempts.

Yeah I figure if you're gonna speedrun, you're gonna speedrun so I don't "cater" to speedrunners......... uhhhh.................... in a sense.

Found Sound
Jun 8, 2010

it's been a while but i felt the calling. the calling for another wacky goomba factory level

another strange factory - JRT-B96-71H

Found Sound fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 1, 2020

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I have to catch up with a LOT of levels posted recently. They all look so great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

OneMoreTime posted:

Well, that's embarrassing! Thanks for pointing that out.

Also, going live in ten minutes

I just watched my level on the VOD, cool stuff. The reason the clear rate is so low (and it's low on a lot of my levels) is the poster zachhammer who is a WR hunter who will die 300+ times to shave a second off his record lol.