Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

James Smith
Feb 18, 2020

tactlessbastard posted:

I'm buying a beer in an airport right now and there's a loving unskippable ad between the checkout and payment process on the pad you have to use to order.

And the beer isn't cold, either.

If it was up to me, I would make you pay a fee to use credit or debit, so I wouldn't lose money from the transaction.

Lots of places in Phoenix, Arizona do this.

I am intentionally dropping dimes, because I know that this is not how things are supposed to work. Raise your prices if you can't afford to do simple transactions.

I get that math is hard for those with low IQ's, but you can pay people to manage this stuff for you.

James Smith fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Unrelated, can someone help me workshop a joke? Something about how the best way to spot an idiot is to wait for them to bring up IQ like it matters, but I just can't get it into a succinct form.

James Smith
Feb 18, 2020

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Unrelated, can someone help me workshop a joke? Something about how the best way to spot an idiot is to wait for them to bring up IQ like it matters, but I just can't get it into a succinct form.

How do you get the masses to perform the way you want them to?

You use quantum calculus! LOL!

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
How many users does it take to insist the lightbulb is plugged in

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

klosterdev posted:

How many users does it take to insist the lightbulb is plugged in

Zero. According to the user, the lightbulb has always worked and has never been plugged in.

James Smith
Feb 18, 2020

Hughmoris posted:

Zero. According to the user, the lightbulb has always worked and has never been plugged in.

Sad, but true in many cases.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

James Smith posted:

If it was up to me, I would make you pay a fee to use credit or debit, so I wouldn't lose money from the transaction.

Lots of places in Phoenix, Arizona do this.

I am intentionally dropping dimes, because I know that this is not how things are supposed to work. Raise your prices if you can't afford to do simple transactions.

I get that math is hard for those with low IQ's, but you can pay people to manage this stuff for you.

What's wild is they wouldn't even accept cash :shrug:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
How many Microsoft engineers does it take to change a lightbulb?

None: Microsoft just defines darkness as the new standard.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Charging extra to accept card payments lmao, it's 2020

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Dick Trauma posted:

How many Microsoft Technet social users does it take to change a lightbulb?

Hi Dick Trauma,

When did issue start to occur?

If issue occurred after we upgrade to Windows 10, please ensure the device manufacturer website has released compatible drivers for your lightbulb.

If lightbulb worked well with Windows 10 before, we could try to boot into safe mode to have a troubleshoot. Keep pressing "Shift" and restart the machine, "Troubleshoot", "Advanced", "Startup Options", "Safe mode".
If issue persists in safe mode, we may consider to troubleshoot hardware issue.
If issue is gone in safe mode, please upload the dumpfile (C:\Windows\Minidump)to OneDrive and paste the link here. We will try to analyze the issue for you.

Best regards

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful. :)

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

Charging extra to accept card payments lmao, it's 2020

There is a local pizza place that doesn't accept cards. Instead they have an ATM they direct you to use. Said ATM charges a $2.50 fee, but if you use the money to pay for your order, they discount your order by the ATM fee amount.

The average card fee for most merchants is around 2%. Buy a large pizza for $20, this means a fee of 40 cents for the merchant... But in this case they would discount the order by $2.50. So instead of loosing 2% on that order, they would be loosing 12.5% :psyboom:

Yeah... someone never thought to do the math on that one.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Hi Dick Trauma,

When did issue start to occur?

If issue occurred after we upgrade to Windows 10, please ensure the device manufacturer website has released compatible drivers for your lightbulb.

If lightbulb worked well with Windows 10 before, we could try to boot into safe mode to have a troubleshoot. Keep pressing "Shift" and restart the machine, "Troubleshoot", "Advanced", "Startup Options", "Safe mode".
If issue persists in safe mode, we may consider to troubleshoot hardware issue.
If issue is gone in safe mode, please upload the dumpfile (C:\Windows\Minidump)to OneDrive and paste the link here. We will try to analyze the issue for you.

Best regards

Also, sfc /scannow and see if the bulb lights back up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

stevewm posted:

But any regular customers would learn it's cash only and bring enough money, potentially saving the business more on card fees over time. You're probably right, but there's also a chance they did do the math. :v:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

stevewm posted:

There is a local pizza place that doesn't accept cards. Instead they have an ATM they direct you to use. Said ATM charges a $2.50 fee, but if you use the money to pay for your order, they discount your order by the ATM fee amount.

The average card fee for most merchants is around 2%. Buy a large pizza for $20, this means a fee of 40 cents for the merchant... But in this case they would discount the order by $2.50. So instead of loosing 2% on that order, they would be loosing 12.5% :psyboom:

My favorite bar works like this. They get the full $2.50 and don't have to deal with chargebacks and poo poo like that.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Bob Morales posted:

No sfc /scannow :colbert:

Also, don't they typically mark their non-answer as The Answer and leave the thread forever, with several pages after filled with people who report that the problem is still there?

CapMoron
Nov 20, 2000
Forum Veteran
Has sfc /scannow ever fixed anything for anybody? I feel like maybe once in my career I've seen it be effective.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

It was unable to fix it, but it did one time point out a corrupted dll on one of the unicorn desktops and I could copy over an intact one from a donor machine.

They were unicorn machines because they had licensing demons on it that would invalidate the license of really expensive software if you looked at them funny. :negative:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

stevewm posted:

The venue owner is going to be getting some or all of the atm fees back, it’s entirely possible they could be making money off the atm.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

CapMoron posted:

Has sfc /scannow ever fixed anything for anybody? I feel like maybe once in my career I've seen it be effective.

The one time I used it on a XP machine with SP3 installed, I ended up with a situation where SFC /scannow "fixed" the system by replacing most of the main system files with their pre-SP3 versions, thus completely loving the install.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
sfc /scannow is a great thing to make the user watch happen while you work on something else that suddenly came up

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Don't forget the random registry hacks suggested after or before scannow

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Hi,

Any update now?

If the above suggestion helps, please be free to mark it as answer for helping more people.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You all are forgetting the signatures and cautions that they are just advisors.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

xzzy posted:

You all are forgetting the signatures and cautions that they are just advisors.

Thanks!

The content of this email is confidential and intended for the recipient specified in message only. It is strictly forbidden to share any part of this message with any third party, without a written consent of the sender. If you received this message by mistake, please reply to this message and follow with its deletion, so that we can ensure such a mistake does not occur in the future.

This message has been sent as a part of discussion between [Sender’s name] and the addressee whose name is specified above. Should you receive this message by mistake, we would be most grateful if you informed us that the message has been sent to you. In this case, we also ask that you delete this message from your mailbox, and do not forward it or any part of it to anyone else. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

[Your company] puts the security of the client at a high priority. Therefore, we have put efforts into ensuring that the message is error and virus-free. Unfortunately, full security of the email cannot be ensured as, despite our efforts, the data included in emails could be infected, intercepted, or corrupted. Therefore, the recipient should check the email for threats with proper software, as the sender does not accept liability for any damage inflicted by viewing the content of this email.

This quotation request is sent to compare available offers and does not imply entering into a legally binding contract.
No employee of [your company’s name] has the authority to conclude any binding contract without an explicit written consent of their supervisor. Therefore, any will to enter into an agreement must be confirmed by the [Sender’s name]’s manager.

Please do not print this email unless it is necessary. Every unprinted email helps the environment.
Is it necessary to print this email? If you care about the environment like we do, please refrain from printing emails. It helps to keep the environment forested and litter-free.

The views and opinions included in this email belong to their author and do not necessarily mirror the views and opinions of the company. Our employees are obliged not to make any defamatory clauses, infringe, or authorize infringement of any legal right. Therefore, the company will not take any liability for such statements included in emails. In case of any damages or other liabilities arising, employees are fully responsible for the content of their emails.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

mods? :(

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I am so loving triggered right now

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Agrikk posted:

Thanks!

The content of this email is confidential and intended for the recipient specified in message only. It is strictly forbidden to share any part of this message with any third party, without a written consent of the sender. If you received this message by mistake, please reply to this message and follow with its deletion, so that we can ensure such a mistake does not occur in the future.

This message has been sent as a part of discussion between [Sender’s name] and the addressee whose name is specified above. Should you receive this message by mistake, we would be most grateful if you informed us that the message has been sent to you. In this case, we also ask that you delete this message from your mailbox, and do not forward it or any part of it to anyone else. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

[Your company] puts the security of the client at a high priority. Therefore, we have put efforts into ensuring that the message is error and virus-free. Unfortunately, full security of the email cannot be ensured as, despite our efforts, the data included in emails could be infected, intercepted, or corrupted. Therefore, the recipient should check the email for threats with proper software, as the sender does not accept liability for any damage inflicted by viewing the content of this email.

This quotation request is sent to compare available offers and does not imply entering into a legally binding contract.
No employee of [your company’s name] has the authority to conclude any binding contract without an explicit written consent of their supervisor. Therefore, any will to enter into an agreement must be confirmed by the [Sender’s name]’s manager.

Please do not print this email unless it is necessary. Every unprinted email helps the environment.
Is it necessary to print this email? If you care about the environment like we do, please refrain from printing emails. It helps to keep the environment forested and litter-free.

The views and opinions included in this email belong to their author and do not necessarily mirror the views and opinions of the company. Our employees are obliged not to make any defamatory clauses, infringe, or authorize infringement of any legal right. Therefore, the company will not take any liability for such statements included in emails. In case of any damages or other liabilities arising, employees are fully responsible for the content of their emails.

All that's missing is the purple Comic Sans "Have a blessed day"

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I have a Win 98 box here so I copied lightbulb.exe to a floppy and will use that file to replace the one on my W10 machine. :ok:

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

I have a Win 98 box here so I copied lightbulb.exe to a floppy and will use that file to replace the one on my W10 machine. :ok:

This will improve performance significantly. But cost you bluetooth support.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Dick Trauma posted:

We have some legacy software that I have to support for our remote sites. It was built in the Win98 era however I can get it running fine on modern W10 machines. Unfortunately it relies on older Visual Basic files that are not included in any of the currently available distributibles from Microsoft. Process went something like this the first time:

1 Run program, wait for it to crash with a missing dll error.
2 Find a copy of dll on an old computer from the graveyard
3 Move it to win 10 machine
4 Register dll
5 Goto 1

Now I have a thumb drive with the required dll files for the next time I have to replace one of those machines

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Bob Morales posted:

Hi,

Any update now?

If the above suggestion helps, please be free to mark it as answer for helping more people.
Posted 24th Feb 2004

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Bob Morales posted:

Hi,

Any update now?

Yes, I fixed it a different way, thanks.

marked as answer by Hungry Computer

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Went to an interview with what I thought was a good cushion.

405 laughed my puny cushion and hopes and dreams, the ETA grew 20 minutes in the time it took me to traverse thee route. I was freaking out in the car. Went through the 5 stages of grief and considered just turning around and going back home.

The interviewer was surprisingly ok with it and if he's telling the truth, will send me to second round :yotj:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

skooma512 posted:

Went to an interview with what I thought was a good cushion.

405 laughed my puny cushion and hopes and dreams, the ETA grew 20 minutes in the time it took me to traverse thee route. I was freaking out in the car. Went through the 5 stages of grief and considered just turning around and going back home.

The interviewer was surprisingly ok with it and if he's telling the truth, will send me to second round :yotj:

If it helps at all, I was straight up 30 minutes late to the interview for the job I have now because of traffic.

I called the interviewer (now-boss) while I was en-route to let him know what was going on and he was pretty chill about the whole thing.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

One of our depots calls us regularly to say their toner has not arrived in time. The printers are supposed to automatically order toner and it gets delivered, so this was confusing to us.

today we found out why.

There is 45 computer users a the depot over 3 floors. at this depot, there is 16 printers. 3 of the printers are the same model and share cartridges. 10 of the printers physically look identical, but are actually totally different models that need different toner cartridges. The floors are not very big, maybe 300sqm? idk.

There are several offices with their own multifunction, full colour printers. None of these offices handle sensitive documents. There are two that do, and they do not have their own printers. They dont share printers between departments because they dont like each other.

Someone from the third floor ran out of toner on the weekend, and then in a fit of rage found of the two printers that are actually the same model, and took the toner cartridge out and put it in their printer.

The next day we get a call from the depot manager demanding a new printer for another department, 5 meters away from the toner thief and that printer-- as the 5 minutes of outage while he stole toner was a significant impact to business. We tell him to get hosed, because they do not need another printer there. They say its slowing down production not having an additional printer - job cards for the workshop, in excess of 200 pages a day. We look at the logs to see how much the current printer is printing - 20 pages a month. We tell him again, to get hosed.

following day IT manager calls. tells us to put the printer in, CEO has said so. We fold, order the printer.

But what about the toner? why does no one ever have toner?

well, it gets delivered to reception, who for the past 10 months has been putting the toner cartridges in the Comms room, "because its IT equipment" and not telling anyone. not even telling me, the IT guy, when I call up and ask "have you been receiving toner, because its apparently being signed for on delivery"

gotta love using IT solutions to solve managerial/behavioral issues.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah and 200 pages a day is also pretty much nothing

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
On February 3rd I was sent a ticket to add a watermark to prints on a specific machine.

These settings are in the driver. I am a printer vendor, I do not have access to the driver defaults. I'd love them, it'd make my job easier, because if it's my brand of printer I get the ticket regardless of whether the problem is the driver, the fax line (it's always the fax line), or the network port.

I transferred it back to internal IT with notes that those settings are in the driver and even wrote what tab of the driver settings it could be found in.

It was transferred back to me today with no other notes.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I set recruiting to open on LinkedIn today, we'll see if anything interesting pops up.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

The Fool posted:

I set recruiting to open on LinkedIn today, we'll see if anything interesting pops up.

I would do that - not because I'm unhappy, but because it's always good to know your market rate - but I don't want my recruiting team to see that I'm open and I've no faith that's hidden from my employer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBS
Sep 21, 2015
Sigh, I got the best possible performance review from my boss before he left the company and he put me on the track for a promotion.

I just got out of a meeting with my new interim manager and I'm not getting a promotion and I'm also getting the worst raise (other than no raise) that I've ever seen.

This is despite working above my role and 50+ hours a week for the last 8 months.