Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Jade Mage posted:

Wait what? Come again?

The Wolves' supports with El and Dimitri. Not the lords supporting one another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Jade Mage posted:

Wait what? Come again?

Some of the DLC units have supports with Edelgard or Dimitri.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

McTimmy posted:

The Wolves' supports with El and Dimitri. Not the lords supporting one another.

Ah, drat. This was what I thought they meant. Woulda been neat

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

I think I'll do CF next. I was originally planning to do my NG+ maddening runs in the same order as I did hard, but I want to do a run with all four Ashen Wolves for supports next.

The wolves have a lot of eagles supports, plus I won't need to worry about underleveling original house members on CF. So that route seems like the best choice.

I think I will also use no duplicate "end" classes, and use all four DLC classes to change things up. On VW I had 5 fliers which was fun, but I probably should do something different this time.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jade Mage posted:

Ah, drat. This was what I thought they meant. Woulda been neat
Tbf they do have some interesting conversations in the side story if you talk to them in Abyss

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

They have one conversation. But it is interesting!

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Speaking of DLC supports, I like Yuri's C-support with Byleth
"Ugh, look, fine. A guy double crossed me and stole my poo poo, so I'm gonna go slit his throat."
"Ah, that's explains it. Can I come? Sounds fun."
"Huh. I thought you might've tried to stop me, but yeah, you were a mercenary before you joined up with the church, I forgot. Fine, you can come."

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

https://twitter.com/ox79xo/status/1230858520989298689?s=21

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Is there no way to change your non-battle appearance in Abyss? Default fByleth's outfit just completely overwhelms my senses and I am unable to pay attention to any dialogue because of her ridiculous chest.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Yeah there is, it's in one of the rooms opposite the scrap heap. It's just a floating arrow in the middle of the room.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

professor metis posted:

Yeah there is, it's in one of the rooms opposite the scrap heap. It's just a floating arrow in the middle of the room.

That changes battle appearance, but I can’t remember if it changes non-battle appearance.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Rosalind posted:

Is there no way to change your non-battle appearance in Abyss? Default fByleth's outfit just completely overwhelms my senses and I am unable to pay attention to any dialogue because of her ridiculous chest.
No. But also you're weak.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
This is what happens when american schools teach breasts are worse then violence.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I don't hate Girl Byleths outfit because it shows skin, I hat it because it's a hideous clash of mismatching pieces. Boy Byleth on the other hand is so bland and generic looking you could confuse him for an NPC.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The in-game female Byleth feels like they made a decent model and then doubled the size of her bust at the last second, it looks awful and amateurish. I switched to evening wear, which is mostly okay.

She has a much better face though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I switched to summer wear, it makes her seem taller since her default outfit kinda makes her compact with how top heavy the clothes are.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Concept: Golden Path DLC except it can only be played on Hard/Classic or Maddening/Classic and leaves you without the ability to use Divine Pulse.

You want a happy ending? Earn it.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Adder Moray posted:

Concept: Golden Path DLC except it can only be played on Hard/Classic or Maddening/Classic and leaves you without the ability to use Divine Pulse.

I don't think that is as intimidating as you think it is.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

You overestimate the average player

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

Tae posted:

You overestimate the average player
Both in their general ability to complete it and, more importantly: Their desire to complete it without losing any of their units.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

This is only the second game with the turnwheel and what, the third with Casual mode?

Yeah that concept ain't threatening.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

It's the 8th game with casual, or 5th if you lump all fates together

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Malpais Legate posted:

This is only the second game with the turnwheel and what, the third with Casual mode?
This is the best selling game in the series. Y'all thinking of the FE lifers, I'm thinking of the Gen Pop.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Gen pop vastly overestimates hard mode and could easily clear it if forced.

Seriously hard mode in Three Houses is pathetic.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Honestly I don't know why you'd want to lock less experienced players out of actual story by having rules like that. Sure, it might not be that difficult, but it's totally fine for someone who is bad at tactics to play for the story.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Yeah, I've never seen anyone try to defend Radiant Dawn arbitrarily locking a bunch of dialogue behind hard mode, this would literally be the same thing.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Hell Radiant Dawn locked important story beats behind NG+. That whole game is a series of baffling decisions.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

whether you think hard is too easy or not, the same thing could be accomplished by just making a new route harder by itself. there's no reason to lock a difficulty mode

arbitrary difficulty gating just makes me think of the fates grinding dlc. like it's missing the point of what it's trying to do

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Adder Moray posted:

Hard was so ridiculously easy that I used Divine Pulse purely to force crits for Ashe’s Deadeye.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Not related to Three houses but is there any good article explaining how marriages/children work in FE Awakening for a first timer. Thanks in advance.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Ulio posted:

Not related to Three houses but is there any good article explaining how marriages/children work in FE Awakening for a first timer. Thanks in advance.

It's pretty simple. The first S support between opposite gender units almost always equals marriage.

All the children units have one default parent (ex Chrom is always Lucina's dad but the mom can vary) and marriage unlocks special support dialogue between the other parent and child and allows the child to access any of the parents classes and most skills they wouldn't normally have.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Adding on to that, Chrom being Lucina's father is one of two exceptions to the system; Robin's kid Morgan is opposite their gender and gets a mostly-generic support with their mom/dad, while all other kids are dependent on the mom and get a mostly-generic support with their dad.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ulio posted:

Its pretty simple honestly unless you get really into the weeds on it.

The only things you really need to keep in mind are that

1) Chrom will get married by a certain point in the story (end of Chapter 11). If he hasn't already S supported someone he will marry the woman he has the highest support level with (there is an internal order that breaks ties and also gives some priority to Olivia who you only get during that Chapter). If everyone is dead/already married/he has literally 0 support points with anyone he marries a nameless NPC.

2) Sumia has a much more limited support pool than anyone else, so if you want to get all the kids just make sure you have Frederick, Henry, Gaius, Chrom, or M!Robin available for her to marry.

3) Once you hit Chapter 13 any S ranked pairing will generate a paralogue chapter that gets you a kid. These vary wildly in difficulty, but mostly follow a curve based on when the mother's joined your army. Kids will inherit the last skill their parents have equipped on their list (except DLC skills and Chrom's kids where girls always get Aether and boys Rightful King) and also inherit a portion of their parent's base stats. Some people get way into this to get some skills that are gender exclusive onto kids (Axefaire for girls and Galeforce or Lancefaire for guys mostly) but that is entirely unnecessary overall.

Zore fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Feb 24, 2020

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Also, you really shouldn’t try to make “optimal” kids on your first playthrough. Unless that's your thing, of course. It was for me—I spent more time playing Fire Emblem Awakening Spreadsheet than playing the actual game and I had a great time

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Optimal kids aren't really necessary in anything but Lunatic, and by then you just want to make sure every kid winds up with Galeforce.

Robin and Morgan are in a unique situation compared to anyone else. Because Robin can literally support any opposite gender unit, Morgan can gain nearly any skill by inheritance. On top of this, Morgan can be a third generation unit, with one of the child units being their parent. This leads to Robin showing up very late in the game, but also being one of the strongest units you can get.

Furthermore, Morgan is also how you can wind up with a third taguel character or a fourth manakete! If Panne or Yarne are Morgan's parent, they default to being a taguel and have the beast classification regardless of class. Likewise, if Nowi, Nah, or Tiki are her mother, Morgan will be a manakete and always have the dragon classification. This isn't really important but if you want a flight of dragons or a warren of rabbits, start shacking up with the furries/scalies.

Lastly, Robin has a unique quality for their non-Morgan children. Usually the father passes down an alternate class for his child to reclass into. Robin doesn't have an alternate class, they have ALL classes available. So Robin's non-Morgan child will be able to reclass into nearly anything, gender permitting. Depending on how you play your Robin, they can give crazy skill combination potentials to their children. This includes Lucina! I once had her with Aether, Ignis and Rightful King, which was a bit silly.

Zore posted:

1) Chrom will get married by a certain point in the story (end of Chapter 11). If he hasn't already S supported someone he will marry the woman he has the highest support level with (there is an internal order that breaks ties and also gives some priority to Olivia who you only get during that Chapter). If everyone is dead/already married/he has literally 0 support points with anyone he marries a nameless NPC.

I think the only good thing about the nameless village woman Chrom can marry is that she gives Lucina the best growth rates for Magic, effectively making her the best option if you want mage Lucina.

Edit: Ignore me on this one I'm an absolute fool

Malpais Legate fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 24, 2020

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Malpais Legate posted:

I think the only good thing about the nameless village woman Chrom can marry is that she gives Lucina the best growth rates for Magic, effectively making her the best option if you want mage Lucina.

If the Villager is her mom does she even get access to a mage class? Chrom only gets her Lord/Cav/Archer and Bride can't use magic.

EDIT: Also wouldn't Maribelle give the best magic growths? Checking Serenes, Maiden gives her literally nothing

Zore fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Feb 24, 2020

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Zore posted:

If the Villager is her mom does she even get access to a mage class? Chrom only gets her Lord/Cav/Archer and Bride can't use magic.

I swore she got Mage by default? But I must have confused the set-up with something else, it's Maribelle that makes her a viable mage. I'd forgotten Maribelle could even support Chrom.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Regardless if you want to get super into the weeds on how inheritance works this link explains everything

https://serenesforest.net/awakening/characters/children/

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Zore posted:

Its pretty simple honestly unless you get really into the weeds on it.

The only things you really need to keep in mind are that

2) Sumia has a much more limited support pool than anyone else, so if you want to get all the kids just make sure you have Frederick, Henry, Gaius, Chrom, or M!Robin available for her to marry.

3) Once you hit Chapter 13 any S ranked pairing will generate a paralogue chapter that gets you a kid. These vary wildly in difficulty, but mostly follow a curve based on when the mother's joined your army. Kids will inherit the last skill their parents have equipped on their list (except DLC skills and Chrom's kids where girls always get Aether and boys Rightful King) and also inherit a portion of their parent's base stats. Some people get way into this to get some skills that are gender exclusive onto kids (Axefaire for girls and Galeforce or Lancefaire for guys mostly) but that is entirely unnecessary overall.

How do you hit S rank support? Is it just sticking the two units together on the battlefield each time? Does units defeated while paired increase it quicker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ulio posted:

How do you hit S rank support? Is it just sticking the two units together on the battlefield each time? Does units defeated while paired increase it quicker?
Yes and yes. S rank support isnt special, its just another support rank. Use pair up and theyll hit it sooner or later. You can also just buy rotting boxes and go back to the very first map and grind supports there, if you wanted, but its really not necessary. If you're using units together on maps they'll hit s rank.