Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Private Speech posted:

wtf that's stupid

how do you even know how many letters internationalisation has without counting it first

jargon is usually picked up and propagated without explicit accompanying explanations, hth op :smuggo:

but also it sidesteps the internationalization issue of the words itself and is easier to google

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it is definitely a failed internal project

k8s originates as an attempt to re-implement google borg without making all the horrible gross mistakes borg made. they successfully reimplemented it but didn't get traction internally because people were already accustomed to borg lol

k8s is extremely good and cool despite being written in the world's shittiest programming language

Better than Borg except for the part where it can't handle >1000 servers in a single cluster without making GBS threads itself

Admittedly a rather niche problem though

*in Hans Moleman voice* I need the biggest computer cluster you have

No that's too big

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

use bigger servers. if 1000 u-24tb1.metal isn’t enough, just stop. do something else. you hosed the goat somewhere

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

this is my hill and I’m going to die on it, if necessary: 24 PB is enough ram

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i asked the guy who runs our vms if i could have some more cpu and he was like yeah you can have 6 more cpu

hes a pretty nice guy

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

Better than Borg except for the part where it can't handle >1000 servers in a single cluster without making GBS threads itself

Admittedly a rather niche problem though

*in Hans Moleman voice* I need the biggest computer cluster you have

No that's too big

having more than >1000 servers being managed by a single point of failure (even if it internally takes advantage of hot spares/replicas etc) isnt a great strategy in any context

break em down into independent groups imo

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Nomnom Cookie posted:

this is my hill and I’m going to die on it, if necessary: 24 PB is enough ram

lol at this scrub who doesn’t use chrome

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Achmed Jones posted:

see also i18n for internationalization, a11y for accessibility, etc.

it's a pretty stupid naming trend but it caught on and doesn't hurt anything except my "old man yells at govcloud" bits so 🤷‍♀️

I'0m g3g t0o w3e a1l m0y p3s u3n t2s c8n f2m n1w o0n

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

what's this?

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

"i can't write a loving runbook" says the clown, at the circus

It wouldn't be used, when I needed to mount volumes to docker in Windows it took them 2 weeks, and 4 days of having my computer to add a firewall rule for SMB. Which of course didn't work because they kept the rule blocking traffic.

In the end Docker just released a new version fit Windows that didn't use SMB.

These guys are negative productivity

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Achmed Jones posted:

see also i18n for internationalization, a11y for accessibility, etc.

it's a pretty stupid naming trend but it caught on and doesn't hurt anything except my "old man yells at govcloud" bits so 🤷‍♀️

The irony is that "a11y"'s obtuseness makes it relatively inaccessible compared to "accessibility".

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

gonadic io posted:

what's this?

On. 0 letters between first and last

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
i've heard of i18n and l10n (localization) but never heard of a11y. programmers are the goddamn worst at jargon

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

introducing my new library, s32s. it's a library to use when you have no library to use

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Volte posted:

i've heard of i18n and l10n (localization) but never heard of a11y. programmers are the goddamn worst at jargon

the accessibility is pretty bad

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
it's less typing and therefore reduces probability of rsi

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

ctps: we've abandoned jenkins so i no longer have to write CPS groovy anymore! however there may be ASP.NET MVC in my future, RIP?

simble
May 11, 2004

if it’s dotnet core it’s fine

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

y4s

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

pretty sure it's core. they won't shut the gently caress up about it being serverless.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

not 'I1m'?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
"the serverless team" has a funny ring to it

"what do you work on?"
"serverless"

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Those people are insufferable. This guy I know always wants to go to the serverless bar after work but that sounds dumb as gently caress to me.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i work on nothing. literally nothing. all my actions culminate in a net negative effect on my work, the organisation and the world around me.

i am a dev?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i work on nothing. literally nothing. all my actions culminate in a net negative effect on my work, the organisation and the world around me.

i am a dev?

better than working on facial r9n for the chinese gov?

hth

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

half the industry is working on maintaining the stack someone wrote so nobody would have to maintain another thing anymore

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

MononcQc posted:

half the industry is working on maintaining the stack someone wrote so nobody would have to maintain another thing anymore

turns out that devops just meant a team of idiots who traded their operational work for maintaining tools that abstract their previous jobs

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I like that a11y looks like 1337 speak for "ally", and making sure you have good a11y is part of being a good ally for blind / deaf / etc people.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

VikingofRock posted:

I like that a11y looks like 1337 speak for "ally", and making sure you have good a11y is part of being a good ally for blind / deaf / etc people.

correct

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i am a dev?

It's a Zen koan.

The student approached the master and said, "My work is futile, ephemeral, and makes the world worse. Where is the path?" The master said, "You are now Senior." At that moment the student was enlightened.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Presto posted:

It's a Zen koan.

The student approached the master and said, "My work is futile, ephemeral, and makes the world worse. Where is the path?" The master said, "You are now Senior." At that moment the student was enlightened.

yeah, all these people itt yelling about k8s for their 10 user per month fart apps

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

groovy pipelines are bad but having to use the old scripted style ones for ~*reasons*~ is much much worse

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Pile Of Garbage posted:

ctps: we've abandoned jenkins so i no longer have to write CPS groovy anymore! however there may be ASP.NET MVC in my future, RIP?

Asp.net mvc is extremely good

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

one disclaimer i would add: make sure to kill every magic string you see. nameof() should do most of the work thankfully

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

newjob is this, and there's a whole other company that does the entire front end so i don't have to touch the poop

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

jesus WEP posted:

newjob is this, and there's a whole other company that does the entire front end so i don't have to touch the poop

i have done some ridiculous poo poo with asp mvc that probably counts as an abuse of the framework. like dynamically adding nested objects to the page that contain a serialised representation of an interface implementing object so you can created nested lists of "anything" and the framework will handle the render and binding for you without you having to touch a single bit of session state.

the html it generates is fuckin insane :catdrugs:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

groovy pipelines are bad but having to use the old scripted style ones for ~*reasons*~ is much much worse

lol that would fuckin suckkkk

this is reassuring

NihilCredo posted:

one disclaimer i would add: make sure to kill every magic string you see. nameof() should do most of the work thankfully

i'm probably going to be stepping right into code developed by my senior who loves to do things the quick way instead of the right way so i reckon i'll be seeing a lot of that

jesus WEP posted:

we have zero UI/UX front-end peeps in-house and they can't afford to find one externally so RIP. hoping to just keep it simple but it's gonna suck

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

jesus WEP posted:

all of our jenkins poo poo is on the old groovy scripting junk and building jobs is awful but once they're written and we don't need to change them it all works fine

but writing that garbage is the absolute worst groovy is an abomination

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
How many languages other than groovy have been publicly disowned by their creator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
asp.net (including MVC) is really good in general but as always you want to avoid entity framework like the plague. you'll see it in all sorts of documentation, but you should never actually use it.