Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ok I guess I’m going back since that’s definitely not what I remember.

But I could have just rushed in and out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I used this guide, super handy.

https://www.japancamerahunter.com/2012/04/camera-shopping-in-tokyo-pt-1-shinjuku/

Nakano isn't 'technically' Shunjuku, but close enough.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

How are the prices for used lenses at Fuyija? I didn’t know about that store. Will have to check it out next time. Last time I was in Tokyo all the camera stores I found were neat but the prices were the same or worse than buying back in the US.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think you're unlikely to score any DEAL OF THE CENTURY type finds, but what you will get is used merchandise that looks and feels much more taken care of, for the most part. That's been my limited experience. I first went a few years back with the mistaken impression that this was some sort of magic land of amazing bargains and it was a quick but sobering reset once I got there.

Yeast posted:

I used this guide, super handy.

https://www.japancamerahunter.com/2012/04/camera-shopping-in-tokyo-pt-1-shinjuku/

Nakano isn't 'technically' Shunjuku, but close enough.

I've been following JCH for a while and I've been using his map for my past two trips, I think this one I just got wrong altogether :) This is a great resource for anyone heading to Japan though.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Animal posted:

How are the prices for used lenses at Fuyija?

They're fine, but not amazing.

I almost bought a tilt shift at Nikon Miyama Shokai last week, because they had a mint condition one for 9000yen, which is ooooh 1/4 the price of a brand new one?

My wife vetoed it, but I'll be back in May and will likely grab it. (they had 4!)

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The thing with shopping for camera stuff in Japan isn’t the prices, it’s the availability. The big electronics stores (Yodobashi, Bic) have drat near everything new and on the floor. The used shops have an incredible variety.

I’ve heard Hong Kong is better for prices, but not sure about how big fakes or counterfeits are.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
I don't remember a lot of fakes in HK, but you can usually only get the crazy discounts if you're buying cash. Anything on card goes to more regular prices. Cash prices are insanely low, I got an EM-5 in fine condition for $75 USD.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

harperdc posted:

The thing with shopping for camera stuff in Japan isn’t the prices, it’s the availability. The big electronics stores (Yodobashi, Bic) have drat near everything new and on the floor. The used shops have an incredible variety.

I’ve heard Hong Kong is better for prices, but not sure about how big fakes or counterfeits are.

My 5Div was a grey market import from Hong Kong. I paid ~$2100 for it with the 24-70 f/4L lens.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Does anyone know why Fuji doesn’t put the in-body ND filter from the X100 series in any of their interchangeable lens bodies? Would love to have seen one on the XT-4...

Morbus
May 18, 2004

frogbs posted:

Does anyone know why Fuji doesn’t put the in-body ND filter from the X100 series in any of their interchangeable lens bodies? Would love to have seen one on the XT-4...

There are some (not insurmountable) engineering challenges in integrating an ND filter to an interchangeable lens camera in a way that

-is not too bulky
-is reasonably cheap
-works well (and is truly neutral) for all lenses at all aperture settings

With integrated lens cameras, it's easier, in part because the ND filter does not have to exist just in front of the sensor, (which is not an ideal place to put it if you want to satisfy the above criteria), and because the lens and filter can be co-designed.

Given the difficulties, the value proposition probably just isn't there. If someone really wants to have that functionality without dealing with lens filters, and is willing to incur some added bulk, there are lens throttle adapters with ND filters (I think? Not actually sure for x-mount).

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I think the main reason they include it on the x100 series is those have a leaf shutter, which can't shoot faster than 1/1000 at wider apertures. So an ND filter is seen as more of a necessity to be able to be able to shoot at wide open in full daylight.

Second, I'm pretty sure the ND filter is built into the x100's lens, not the body, so they'd have to do something completely different to add a built in filter to their interchangeable lens bodies. I imagine a filter in one of their bodies would need to be significantly larger than the one inside the tiny x100 lens. Seems like they'd have to increase the body size to add room to house the filter when not in use, as well a the mechanism which moves the filter (which is another thing that can break). It's also possible there would be image quality ramifications with adding a filter after the lens.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Helen Highwater posted:

If you come to Bangkok, there are a couple of big malls that are nothing but used camera gear. Just racks and racks of everything from A7Riiis to Rolleiflex TLRs.

I'm in Bangkok. Can you share some good spots?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Thoren posted:

I'm in Bangkok. Can you share some good spots?

New stuff is generally no cheaper than anywhere else unless you go grey market or no-brand Chinese stuff.

For new, go to Pantip Plaza on Phetchaburi Road (right next to Phra Ram 9 MRT station). There's about two floors of camera stuff from bodies and lenses, to lighting and studio gear. EC-Mall is there and they have the best prices as long as you don't mind grey import. It's all legit though. Every so often Pantip have tables set up along the main concourse on the 2nd floor where people sell vintage and collectible camera gear too.

MBK at Siam Square (opposite Siam Paragon), has a lot of camera stores, mostly they are selling stuff at regular retail, but there's a huge variety there if you want something specific and uncommon, a store like World Camera, Fotofile, Eastbourne Camera, or Big Camera will probably have it. There are also a bunch of small booths in the middle on the 3rd and 4th floors selling second-hand gear at very low prices. It's not always in the best shape but you can test it before you hand over any money and prices are negotiable.

Specific and uncommon at MBK

Megaplaza in Chinatown (near Sam Yot MRT station) is a smallish mall with four floors of knockoff Chinese toys, and then the top floor is all cameras and Yu-Gi-Oh cards. There is a massive variety of second hand gear here, everythng from current digital models all the way to classic TLRs, old glass for any mount you can think of, medium format gear, etc. Probably the best selection of analogue equipment I've seen anywhere.

Finally, a couple of times a year there's a huge photo market out at Bang Na. Basically a couple of warehouses full of tables where people are selling crates of gear. Mostly it's vintage film equipment and there's a lot of shelf sitters, but you can somethimes find something cool and interesting at a good price.

Do you live here, or are you just visiting? Feel free to PM me if you want to have some camera chat in person sometime.

Edit: Here's an example of the difference in prices.
the options called EC-Mall kit are grey market imports, the others are normal imports. 62,900THB is $1986USD, 84,900THB is $2680USD. Those are the body only prices. List price in the US is $3299 and BHP sell it for $2499 after an instore rebate.

Helen Highwater fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 24, 2020

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

omg :eyepop:

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Helen Highwater posted:

the top floor is all cameras and Yu-Gi-Oh cards.

Oh hell yeah. Thanks for all the great info. I've been considering a Fujifilm X-T4 lately so naturally I've been checking the used lens prices too. Bangkok is... strange. Retail is at least 10-20% more expensive but the used market on kaidee/facebook can swing either way. I've found a few used stores like AVcamera (http://www.avcamera.com/) but I had a feeling there was a cooler marketplace out there.

Helen Highwater posted:

Do you live here, or are you just visiting? Feel free to PM me if you want to have some camera chat in person sometime.

I'm planning to live here for the rest of 2020! Sending you a PM.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
XT4 press release leak over at FujiRumors. New film simulation is Externa Bleach Bypass...

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Pablo Bluth posted:

XT4 press release leak over at FujiRumors. New film simulation is Externa Bleach Bypass...

Hope they’ll send it to the X-Pro3 as well

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Just curious are most Fuji folks shooting raw+jpeg or something else?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Hope they’ll send it to the X-Pro3 as well
Given how new the Pro3 is, not doing so would be a PR blunder.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Pablo Bluth posted:

https://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm-x-t4-press-release-leaked/

If Fuji isn't blowing smoke up our asses, this is kind of a ridiculous camera. They even put a gyro in there.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Dangerllama posted:

I just use straight jpeg because I hate dealing with any kind of post production beyond basic cropping. I moved to fuji for the SOC jpegs so I'm drat well gonna use it that way. Also there's nothing I really take photos of that I really need to try to rescue somehow from raw, and I started realizing that before I moved systems, though it was more often necessary on Panasonic. If I was on some once in a lifetime trip I might put it on raw+jpeg just in case, but otherwise if I hosed up the exposure on a bunch of photos I just take that as a learning experience. And it's not like you can fix missed focus from raw.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Dangerllama posted:

I prefer to shoot raw because I'm still relatively new to this and find post-processing really helpful and educational, but I just took a trip to a national park and accidentally left it on JPEG for most of the trip. Honestly the JPEGs were almost all perfectly fine, and the tweaks I wanted to make were so slight that I don't know that it would have made much of a difference to have the raw files.

I still feel stupid about not checking the setting, but I haven't run into any photos that I really miss having the raw files for, which is pretty telling I guess.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
Probably 50% of the time I shoot raw only and convert the photos I like to jpeg in camera, then blast them straight to my phone (and from there to the computer if necessary). The other 50% I do in Lightroom, but most of the times that's for photo shoots with 1000+ photos where batch editing is necessary. The only other reason I use Lightroom is when I really need to manipulate the image — the in camera raw editor can only get you so far. Overall though the workflow of converting raw to great-looking jpegs in camera is one of my favorite things about Fuji.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I shoot in RAW+JPEG. Most the time the JPEG is so good I don’t need to touch it. I still like having the RAW just in case there is something I need to poke around at in case it’s a shot I can’t replicate again but honestly, and it’s one of the biggest draws of Fuji, their SOC JPEGs are like straight witchcraft with how good they typically come out

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I always shoot raw+jpeg. A lot of times when I'm shooting the SOOC jpegs are good enough, but there are some cases where I definitely want the RAWs for post processing. Rather than switching between raw and jpeg depending on what I'm shooting, I just always leave it in raw+jpeg. I would almost certainly forget to switch between raw and jpeg half the time if I didn't.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
gently caress, the XT4 is making me rethink m43, that was unexpected.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Dangerllama posted:

That’s how I did it. Capture one and LR allow users to apply Fujifilm simulations to raws. They’re not exactly as the camera does it but extremely close.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I usually do RAW+JPEG because I do so much high contrast underexposed arty poo poo that sometimes I need to undo my bad in-camera decisions. I've had good success working jpeg-only though, I only really end up in Lightroom for like family pictures or really significant stuff. JPEG is nice how fast and convenient everything is plus basically not being able to run out of memory card space is nice.

iammeandsoareyou
Oct 27, 2007
Nothing to see here

Dangerllama posted:

I usually shot raw+jpeg, because with memory so cheap, why not. Even when I do this with the film simulation bracket feature on with the X-H1 I never seem to run low on space. But I mostly don't do much with the raw files except for specific situations. As long as I get the basics right, the in camera processing with Fuji is as good to my eye as anything I could do in post 95% of the time.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

grahm posted:

Probably 50% of the time I shoot raw only and convert the photos I like to jpeg in camera, then blast them straight to my phone (and from there to the computer if necessary).
I've been meaning to ask in this thread - is there a good guide or something for setting up and using the Fuji app on Android to transfer photos?

Like, I don't even fully understand how it works: I assumed it would use the WiFi signal the phone and camera are both connected to, but then it seems to broadcast its own short-range wireless network my phone picks up on?

I tried experimenting with it but couldn't get my camera to show up on my phone, if I recall correctly. I'd love a way of shooting and quickly sending a photo to my phone, which it sounds like the app is meant to do, but Fuji's documentation is a nightmare, so I just uninstalled it.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Fuji app is balls, basically it works sometimes, other times it looks like it's working then magically doesn't with no explanation. It's one of the worst things about the Fuji ecosystem right now, like I enjoy Sony Playmemories better and that's saying a lot.

e: My camera predates bluetooth which might be part of the problem.

qirex fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 25, 2020

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I've been meaning to ask in this thread - is there a good guide or something for setting up and using the Fuji app on Android to transfer photos?

I have an iPhone so this might not be helpful, but basically I open the app, and if everything works correctly the Bluetooth icon will light up and then it will ask me to connect to the camera's wifi network. If the bluetooth doesn't light up, I flip the bluetooth on my phone off and then on again — then it will light up and ask me to connect to the camera's wifi.

For me this works 100% of the time. That said, the app sucks overall and I hope they improve it soon.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

qirex posted:

I just upgraded from an X-E2 to X-Pro3 and bluetooth has nothing to do with the app not working.

I want to believe the random disconnects are android not liking staying connected to a wifi without internet but it's probably just a lovely app.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

No, my iPhone also randomly can’t hold a connection and the tethered mode also only works sometimes.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

qirex posted:

The Fuji app is balls, basically it works sometimes, other times it looks like it's working then magically doesn't with no explanation. It's one of the worst things about the Fuji ecosystem right now, like I enjoy Sony Playmemories better and that's saying a lot.

Yeah I think the X-T2 is all wireless, but it seems unable to get past the "Connecting..." part in the app. I guess I'll need to wait until they get back to working on something better :smith:

Thoren
May 28, 2008

GEMorris posted:

gently caress, the XT4 is making me rethink m43, that was unexpected.

I was pretty much set on the X100V but I'm probably going in on the XT4 now.

It's like Fuji said gently caress it and put every piece of technology on hand into a single device.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

I‘m probably going to get an X100V. This thread has already been very helpful; just a few more questions - please bear with me, this will be my first foray into Fuji-land:

- Should I get the leather case? Are there any must-have accessories, apart from the filter assembly that makes the whole thing weather resistant?

- Which settings should I change / adapt immediately after unboxing? Any cool tips on assigning functions to specific buttons?

- Is there some sort of Capture One coupon or discount code in the box? Or will I have to pay full price?

- Any tips on processing the RAWs in Capture One? Like, stuff you routinely do, peculiarities of the sensor and so on? For example, with my E-M1 I almost always have to lower saturation a bit; something about Olympus‘ color science gives people tomato faces. Any similar concerns with Fuji?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Whether you want a leather case depends on how you like the way it feels in hand. I think my X100F perfect without and like keeping things as small as possible but I did buy one of these to protect it in my bag. It fits with a lens hood on which saves time. I do almost always have either a neck or wrist strap on, I like DSPTCH and Simplr.us straps. Peak design clips were too bulky for me but a lot of people like their stuff.

You will want a lens hood & filter to get your weather sealing, I have a few of the cheap ones since all three combined were less than half the cost of the Fuji one. I’d guess their weather sealing is officially dependent on using their official ring and filter but I don’t think there’s anything special about either of them. My favorite is this because it’s the smallest and you can keep using the push cap but it doesn’t fit a filter inside. There’s a slightly longer version that does but with the push cap on it’s bigger than the factory style bayonet ring with a lens cap on.

I have the top fn button set to ND filter but they apparently mapped that to holding the viewfinder lever to the right for a couple seconds on the V so you can probably use it for something else. I have the front button set for ISO range selection. I mostly switch between different Q settings for film simulation, etc. I keep the front dial on exposure [set the wheel to C] and the back dial for adjusting shutter/aperture if they’re in auto.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Very nice, thanks for all the good info!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

A nice thumb grip made my X100T so much better, but the X100V has refined ergonomics so it might not need it. Don’t go crazy on accessories, the X100 line is great as-is.

With the V I’m probably gonna get the dumb Fuji branded ring and filter for the reason quirex cited IF THEY PUT A GASKET. If it’s the same poo poo as the third party stuff, I’ll get that.