Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
Why not repurpose malls as big shelters/hydroponic farms. Would that be feasible? Obviously you would need someone to finance it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Speaking of burger places, Wendy's seemingly shuttered almost all of their lower Westchester (NYC inner ring suburbs) locations for no reason. I would have to basically drive to the north edge of the county to go to one. I could never figure out why. The one by me was always busy.

There's one here (near Atlanta, but not that near honestly) next to a grocery store that I visit regularly, and it seems to do just fine. They are about to start offering breakfast but, given what I have seen from other chains, it won't last a year despite them doing steady business. I remember when Arby's tried to do that... I really enjoyed it, though I'm admittedly an easy sell for eggs, sausage etc, but it didn't last long.

I used to eat at Taco Bell regularly, but over the years I hardly ever go except on the odd occasion when I am awake early enough for breakfast. They have pared down their money to where they've eliminated just about everything that I enjoyed, so there goes that.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Speaking of burger places, Wendy's seemingly shuttered almost all of their lower Westchester (NYC inner ring suburbs) locations for no reason. I would have to basically drive to the north edge of the county to go to one. I could never figure out why. The one by me was always busy.

probably all those locations were owned by the same franchisee and something bad enough happened to that person or their business to cause them to shut down

Captain Duvel posted:

Why not repurpose malls as big shelters/hydroponic farms. Would that be feasible? Obviously you would need someone to finance it

with the amount of work you'd have to do to the building structure to run all that water around you may as well just tear it down and build a specialized structure

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Detective No. 27 posted:

I remember hearing about one particular incident because the event was held downstream of a chicken farm, so people got sick from chicken poop mixed in the mud.

I think it was faddy to do to say you've done it, but rarely did people do it twice. The congestion during some of the obstacles just made it a huge hassle. Like, who wants to stand a line in cold mud for 10 minutes for their turn each time?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

luxury handset posted:

with the amount of work you'd have to do to the building structure to run all that water around you may as well just tear it down and build a specialized structure

Yep, that's the problem with almost all re-uses of malls. You have to re-run so much HVAC and plumbing that you'd be a lot cheaper to scratch build.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Liquid Communism posted:

Yep, that's the problem with almost all re-uses of malls. You have to re-run so much HVAC and plumbing that you'd be a lot cheaper to scratch build.
A-yep. Malls really are custom-designed to be shopping malls, and nothing else. I've seen them likened to some species that has evolved to thrive in a very particular niche, and quickly runs into trouble when that niche disappears.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I've had a great idea that would revitalize malls with little effort.

Dramatically lower the rent. Make it affordable to do business.

loving property owners would rather have "high property value" and no tenants than lower perceived property value and paying tenants. This loving economy.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Detective No. 27 posted:

loving property owners would rather have "high property value" and no tenants than lower perceived property value and paying tenants. This loving economy.

A mall is not cheap to run, and a properly-functioning mall gives a built-in customer base for most businesses. The extra cost is worth it if you can swing it in a mall that works. But even in a nonfunctional mall, they have to pay for all the common space, but spread over fewer tenants, so it's not going to be cheap.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

You're acting like cheaper, shittier malls haven't also failed in droves, but they have. And in fact, they failed first.

Malls got squeezed out because the American middle class shrank, not because the illuminati decided to keep mall rent too high

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
times have changed and we now have a bunch of failing malls because times have changed and you're either shopping at Walmart/Family Dollar or some upscale place with nothing in between

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And the rise of online shopping and atomisation of the suburbs is just the nails in the coffin.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

less than three posted:

times have changed and we now have a bunch of failing malls because times have changed and you're either shopping at Walmart/Family Dollar or some upscale place with nothing in between

There’s a mall near my work that Walmart actually bought a space in, it and the movie theater are basically the only things keeping it going. Most of the other big spaces are empty.

It’s kinda freaky to walk around in.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Take a dead mall, cut the power and do Red Dawn Laser Tag.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Plastik posted:

A mall is not cheap to run, and a properly-functioning mall gives a built-in customer base for most businesses. The extra cost is worth it if you can swing it in a mall that works. But even in a nonfunctional mall, they have to pay for all the common space, but spread over fewer tenants, so it's not going to be cheap.

Just hearing and cooling the common areas is vastly expensive. Theres a reason outlet malls are open air.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Which are dying in their own right. Who knew building shopping in the middle of nowhere places would start to fail? And then the mall owners keep rents high trying to cover their own lovely debts and you get a nice death spiral.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Liquid Communism posted:

Just hearing and cooling the common areas is vastly expensive. Theres a reason outlet malls are open air.

Heating, cooling, maintaining the building, cleaning and maintaining doors and windows, cleaning and maintaining the food court furniture, maintaining the lighting, maintaining and cleaning the bathrooms, all the (basically mandatory) seasonal events and decor, advertising, staffing the information desks there are a shitton of expenses to running a mall that make it very, very bad to lose even a handful of stores.

When I was in Movie Theater management our chain lost more than a few theaters to dramatic rent hikes in failing malls. If you build your contracts expecting 80% retail occupancy to cover 20k in monthly costs, dropping down to 72% means going into 2 grand a month in debt, and most of the malls we were in were closer to 50%.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

The entire structure of commercial finance demands this - they literally have no choice but to play this $/sq ft game if they want to get their next loan for the property.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Wendy's looks busy because they have the slowest service.

Folks probably got tired of waiting 10 minutes for fast food.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Plastik posted:

When I was in Movie Theater management our chain lost more than a few theaters to dramatic rent hikes in failing malls. If you build your contracts expecting 80% retail occupancy to cover 20k in monthly costs, dropping down to 72% means going into 2 grand a month in debt, and most of the malls we were in were closer to 50%.

Movie theater management seems like an awful job. I have some friends manage the nicer movie theater in town. A few years ago the company remodeled the whole thing with nice new reclining seats a few more IMAX screens. A little more expensive to get a ticket but not by much.

Now they are in trouble because two years later they can't hit their old numbers before the expensive remodel. Guess when you nearly cut the number of seats in half even nearly selling out regularly doesn't help.

Good job corporate.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Movie theater management seems like an awful job. I have some friends manage the nicer movie theater in town. A few years ago the company remodeled the whole thing with nice new reclining seats a few more IMAX screens. A little more expensive to get a ticket but not by much.

Now they are in trouble because two years later they can't hit their old numbers before the expensive remodel. Guess when you nearly cut the number of seats in half even nearly selling out regularly doesn't help.

Good job corporate.

I did it 2004-2007 and it wasn't bad. We were a regional chain in the Southeast and did pretty well financially, our biggest challenges were finding markets that Regal hadn't deliberately oversaturated, high employee turnover, and finding managers who were immune to the siren song of drug abuse. The money was good for what it was (general managers made $50k+ for herding teenagers basically) and Regal had slowed their expansion so we were generally profitable.

We dissolved due to internal issues, I've told the story before but the tl;dr version is that we found some inconsistencies in the books, brought in a forensic accounting firm (less cool than it sounds) and found out one of the owners had been stealing for a long time. The other owners ousted him but couldn't find anyone to replace his investment in the company, and the infighting that resulted made another investor leave, and that made them insolvent and they had to declare bankruptcy.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
while folks are correct about some of the problems of retail leading to dead malls, it is also important to note that malls (and a lot of commercial real estate, actually) can easily be overbuilt due to inefficient allocation of economic resources to build structures in a free market economy. dead malls are the most visible sign of this, office or industrial vacancy is less visible and residential vacancy, especially single family homes, often completely invisible

Detective No. 27 posted:

even malls with cut rate rents are failing. when a mall is half full with oddball local shops and they have trouble keeping the floors clean, then it's a bit of a chicken/egg situation around declining customer traffic

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:

Doctor Butts posted:

Wendy's looks busy because they have the slowest service.

Folks probably got tired of waiting 10 minutes for fast food.

Steak 'N' Shake seems to counter this. I'm amazed that they have a drive-thru.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I've talked about it before but my local regional mall is loving packed at all times and always busy (it even has two movie theaters and the only Rainforest Cafe left on the west coast!) but I think it's more a case of it being built at the right place at the right time and catering more to middle/lower class shopping habits with outlet stores and discount retailers.

Here's the anchor stores:
Dave and Busters
Nordstrom Rack
Restoration Hardware
Uniqlo
Marshalls
Burlington

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Plastik posted:

Movie theater experience.

Similar thing happened at the movie theater I worked for about twenty years ago. The manager got tired of doing the last Sunday evening showing, so when people started coming in for those he’d tell them that the ticket machine was broken, take their money, and let them in. He pocketed a decent chunk of money for a couple months until he got his wish and the owners stopped doing that last set of shows.

Outside of that it was a fantastic job. If I got paid what I do now I’d probably still do it. The perks were nice, and I guess now that it’s all digital you don’t have those rare occasions where the movie wraps on the platter brain and ends up all over the floor.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Our owner was just walking into theaters around 2am drunk, and voiding dozens of ticket sales off the showings he thought were doing well (he didn't check beforehand, it was hard to) and pocketing the cash from the safe. He got caught due to a number of theaters in his territory having negative ticket sales for some showings, which caused the Board (that he was on) to call in forensic auditors.

We didn't just lose him, they discovered a tremendous amount of theft and had to let go over a half dozen managers as well. This is part of what caused the rift between the remaining owners, and made the silent partner decide none of them had any business running the company.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Oh poo poo! Yeah what a maroon. My boss got kinda lucky too that the theater checker didn’t stop in. She was a sweet old lady that brought us a ton of cookies at Christmas

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
As always, the biggest killer of corporations is their own leadership and management.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I haven't been to a cinema in about 20 years, because I don't really watch many films and I don't like to watch them at deafening volume in a room full of loud bastards, but I used to take great delight in sneaking in food because, like most rational people, I don't enjoy paying £4 for a packet of sweets.

I'm honestly surprised that they are still relevant given the technology of the age; I would have thought that they had gone the way of the video arcade. Those I actually miss.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

They’re having a resurgence here in America. Barcades seem to be popping up all over. I’ve been to four so far. I feel like half of them are trying to latch onto the trend without putting the effort in to maintain the machines for longterm use, tho. The most successful one here has a guy on staff full time to repair the cabinets. The others...not so much.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I get a pitcher if margaritas and goto movie houses every few weeks

I head hunted a manager of a theater he practically said ill quit today if you want me to!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I been to a barcade , i think multiplayer pacman destroys more friendships than mario party, mario kart, or new super mario bors.

huh weird how all the friendship destroying games are mario ones.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
The plumbing needed for a hydroponics farm would be a lot more work than needed for most things, most of the tenant lots (especially anchors) are not terrifically hard to repurpose as they're designed to be heavily remodeled by tenants anyway, but...

Plastik posted:

Heating, cooling, maintaining the building, cleaning and maintaining doors and windows, cleaning and maintaining the food court furniture, maintaining the lighting, maintaining and cleaning the bathrooms, all the (basically mandatory) seasonal events and decor, advertising, staffing the information desks there are a shitton of expenses to running a mall that make it very, very bad to lose even a handful of stores.
... the common area is the raison d'etre of an indoor mall, but is useless for almost anything else. Tons of square footage dedicated to an oversized, oddly-shaped, enclosed climate-controlled area with no structural support to put in more floors or anything.

Apparently one of the more common things to do in repurposing is to demolish the common area and fill it with road, but that runs into some other wonderful problems like the indoor-facing parts of the store lots not being weatherproofed.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Feb 25, 2020

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Another Fry's is closing down, this time it's the Anaheim store I spent 8 years at :(

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm honestly surprised that they are still relevant given the technology of the age; I would have thought that they had gone the way of the video arcade. Those I actually miss.

Some movies do not lean too heavily on their visuals and do just fine when streamed, like Knives Out. But other movies have really impressive visuals that are worth seeing on a truly big screen, like Alita.

Segue
May 23, 2007

golden bubble posted:

Some movies do not lean too heavily on their visuals and do just fine when streamed, like Knives Out. But other movies have really impressive visuals that are worth seeing on a truly big screen, like Alita.

Yeah Indie theatres especially in big cities are still going strong and in the age of Marvel blockbusters the chains are fine.

Check out Cinema Discusso. There's still enough people even keeping a few rental places alive for stuff not on streaming. Movies are increasingly relying on the "event" thing to keep going, sort of like live music. As someone who much prefers a big theatre to home watching I hope it keeps going.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Movie Theaters will always have some built-in audiences because families like to take everyone out to see a movie since it's an easy thing to do with the kids, and people want to see action flicks on the big screen. It's also an easy thing to do if you're not 21 yet, and so your nightlife opportunities can be restricted. I think at this point, streaming has killed off about as many movie theaters as it can, maybe it'll shrink a little more than what we have now. Otherwise closures are probably more related to mismanagement than just the loss in popularity of going out to the movies.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Segue posted:

Yeah Indie theatres especially in big cities are still going strong and in the age of Marvel blockbusters the chains are fine.

Check out Cinema Discusso. There's still enough people even keeping a few rental places alive for stuff not on streaming. Movies are increasingly relying on the "event" thing to keep going, sort of like live music. As someone who much prefers a big theatre to home watching I hope it keeps going.

The big rental chain in my province merged with Microplay. It's 85% rentals and sales and the rest gamestop-ish. There's only one left in the city, but it seems prosperous enough at a ratio of .5 million people per store. :haw:

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
Dinner and a movie in a cinema is also still just a very reliably enjoyable relaxed date. I know couples of any age from 15-75 who do it.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Movie attendance is still falling pretty briskly. It's simply too expensive and offers a bad experience. Personally, I haven't been to a cinema in years, and I don't think I'm a rare case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Lambert posted:

Movie attendance is still falling pretty briskly. It's simply too expensive and offers a bad experience. Personally, I haven't been to a cinema in years, and I don't think I'm a rare case.

I see maybe two movies a year in the theater, at most. Now that TVs have gotten so much better for the price, and streaming has so many options, that need go see a movie or two a month just isn't there anymore.

I imagine it is extremely common.