Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Kylaer posted:

All those deaths and yet the GRRM still lives.

So far this year I have lost a brother in law, godmother, and the pup that had been literally at my side for 16 years. Not to mention Neil Peart, and Terry Jones.
Gurm though? Alive and still not writing. Absolute Fucker.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

found this on my hdd yesterday

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

TK-42-1 posted:

It's so beautiful. Let it never be lost to time.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

TK-42-1 posted:

What year was this original made?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Isn't that the picture that got surreptitiously inserted into his blog comments by someone who embedded an image link to a 1x1 blank pixel, allowing it to get past his blog's censors' oversight, and then changed the linked file into that?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

TK-42-1 posted:

It's like walking into a bar and seeing an old friend. Just fills my heart with joy.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I was trying to remember where I got it from and found that forums poster geno1173 PMd it to me a while back. They're the real mvp.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
It's so drat high rez lmfao

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
The maester-rape graph is killing me...

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I currently have Montezuma’s Revenge, can anyone post the shat/drank audio clip?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
What’s the date of that con this year that GRRM promised he’ll have the book out or else he’d go to jail or whatever stupid poo poo it was he said?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
July 29 through August 2

ASOIAF fans are coping because GoodReads has TWOW listed as releasing this year. the site is user-managed

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://vimeo.com/393361658

kcroy fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Feb 24, 2020

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

TK-42-1 posted:

I wish I knew who did this. It's really just so beyond amazing. I mean there has to be software to do this right?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TK-42-1 posted:

Someone please update or remake this to include Dan Weiss and David Benioff on either side of him as cherubs hoisting aloft his loin covers, and change the "lemon cakes" watermarking to "Dany kinda forgot about the Iron Fleet".

Thank you, from the future.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

kcroy posted:

I wish I knew who did this. It's really just so beyond amazing. I mean there has to be software to do this right?

I want to believe they did it like Willem Defoe’s character in To Live And Die In LA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qvf8aEZerPE

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Feb 24, 2020

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i read all the witcher books recently and they really reminded me of these books, except they were good and had an ending that made all the boring politics stuff really cool and interesting by virtue of actually concluding

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

scary ghost dog posted:

i read all the witcher books recently and they really reminded me of these books, except they were good and had an ending that made all the boring politics stuff really cool and interesting by virtue of actually concluding

The Witcher books are my favorite fantasy novels and combine the grittiness of ASoIaF with the charm and fairy tale lore of Shreck and Grimm. It's a fantastic world that I can't get enough of and I even loved Season of Storms.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

The Witcher books are my favorite fantasy novels and combine the grittiness of ASoIaF with the charm and fairy tale lore of Shreck and Grimm. It's a fantastic world that I can't get enough of and I even loved Season of Storms.

yeah theyre wonderful and the last book is a joy to read thanks to how conclusive it is

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

scary ghost dog posted:

yeah theyre wonderful and the last book is a joy to read thanks to how conclusive it is

One thing I appreciate from the Witcher books is that, despite how grim it can get, our main characters more or less survive all the way through. We lose some side characters and there's tons of death on the sides, but Sapkowsi allows you to feel a bit safe with the main characters, which I like. It walks a line between having a character like, say "Drizzt" and then someone like Eddard Stark. We get to have a main character who stays the main character (not counting Ciri's role of course) and while is in constant danger, Geralt remains a threat to said danger. He remains our "hero", where as ASoIaF always keeps you guessing who the heroes are. I like this approach too, but sometimes I just want to zone out and follow a bad rear end dude's exploits and not try to figure out who my next favorite character is once the one I'm currently rooting for dies.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i would still say asoiaf has its hero characters that never die. the trick grrm pulls is that he has an enormous amount of chapters that dont follow these characters, and instead follow characters whose deaths are preordained. its not really any more grim than the witcher, sapkowski just has the courtesy to not trick us into liking doomed characters

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
ultimately both series have the same fundamental perspective on war, feudal politics, modern politics, gender politics, etc, but grrm is so much less confident in his opinions that asoiaf has no energy comparatively

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ASoIaF has the main characters engage with those feudal politics.

The main characters in the Witcher flip the bird and scream gently caress OFF to feudal politics.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
also the books are maybe a quarter the length lol

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the witcher in a nutshell

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

ruddiger posted:

I want to believe they did it like Willem Defoe’s character in To Live And Die In LA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qvf8aEZerPE

I know right?

font color sea
Jan 23, 2017

Expelliarmus!

chaosapiant posted:

One thing I appreciate from the Witcher books is that, despite how grim it can get, our main characters more or less survive all the way through. We lose some side characters and there's tons of death on the sides, but Sapkowsi allows you to feel a bit safe with the main characters, which I like. It walks a line between having a character like, say "Drizzt" and then someone like Eddard Stark. We get to have a main character who stays the main character (not counting Ciri's role of course) and while is in constant danger, Geralt remains a threat to said danger. He remains our "hero", where as ASoIaF always keeps you guessing who the heroes are. I like this approach too, but sometimes I just want to zone out and follow a bad rear end dude's exploits and not try to figure out who my next favorite character is once the one I'm currently rooting for dies.

Though, in Witcher literally all of the main characters who are not Ciri/Dandelion/Triss die right at the end, unless you want to go full video game canon.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

font color sea posted:

Though, in Witcher literally all of the main characters who are not Ciri/Dandelion/Triss die right at the end, unless you want to go full video game canon.

This is absolutely true, but at the very least, their story is done by then. I also count the games as canon because they're awesome and why not?

I'm not against the way ASoIaF handles character death at all, I just like a bit of variety and appreciate that Witcher doesn't take that approach. The main five book saga is a more classic group of friends/fellowship style story with a disfunctional group of misfits and outcasts.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

font color sea posted:

Technically its ambiguous; Ciri teleported them to a magical isle after all. Sapkowski said Geralt and Yen live on Avalon at the end, though he says lots of things.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

hobbesmaster posted:

Technically its ambiguous; Ciri teleported them to a magical isle after all. Sapkowski said Geralt and Yen live on Avalon at the end, though he says lots of things.

Not to mention that in Season of Storms Geralt is at least clearly alive quite a bit into the future.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

kcroy posted:

It's so good I could imagine GURM hanging a framed version of this on his wall.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

kcroy posted:

Forums user geno1173 is the hero we should all thank.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

Not to mention that in Season of Storms Geralt is at least clearly alive quite a bit into the future.

i wouldnt say its that clear but the ambiguity seems to be the point with the ending of that one and lady of the lake. a message about how real life doesnt have happy endings, but this story isnt real life. its all very clever

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Mat Cauthon posted:

Honestly the Black Company books are very not good once you get past the Silver Spike, which cleanly wraps up the White Rose plotline. I think the first Taglios book is decent and then it goes off the rails because Cook leans way too heavily on the "Vietnam but with magic" analogies and then let's the whole Shadowlands/dimensional crossroads plot run way too long because he doesn't want to stop writing about his favorite characters.

The prequel book that came out recently was well written but hurts the series overall. If the people making the Black Company tv shorw are smart they'll just adapt the White Rose books and then either end it or figure out a new direction to go in. I get why he wants to revisit it but the Black Company is a series that benefits from some mystique; the more he fills in the backstory the weaker the main books become, mainly because he hasn't really improved as a writer in the intervening years.

Re: Wheel of Time - it's above average and influenced a lot of fantasy that came after it but there are some slogs and the dialogue/plotting never reaches GoT levels. There's no Ned Stark moment and no character as engaging as Tyrion, etc. But they're solid reads - I'm due for another re-read soon, especially with the adaptation on the way.

If I was a writer for the Black Company adaption, I'd steal some of the better Bridgeburner/military campaign plotlines and scenes from the Malazan books, and copy-paste em into later seasons of the Black Company series.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
But Malazan sucks so why would you do that?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i only read the first malazan book but it was a total nightmare

font color sea
Jan 23, 2017

Expelliarmus!
Doesn't that part of Season of Storms happen like 200 years into the future? I'm not sure even witchers can live this long. Meaning one way or another Geralt would be a spooky ghost by then.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

font color sea posted:

Doesn't that part of Season of Storms happen like 200 years into the future? I'm not sure even witchers can live this long. Meaning one way or another Geralt would be a spooky ghost by then.

Vesemir is likely to be 300...so it can happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Kylaer posted:

But Malazan sucks so why would you do that?

I tried three times to read the first book and only get about 1/3 of the way through each time.