Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Hereditary is a movie about what it feels like to have depression.

When you have depression it feels like everything around you is being ripped apart directly or indirectly because of your actions and then when you finally think you’ve truly “got it”, like you understand everything in a sensational moment of escalating clarity, you harm the people closest to you and it turns out a horrible self-harming demon has total control of your actions and has all along.

I enjoyed it because I recognized this (people who recognized this but who didn’t enjoy it are not stupid or bad-opinioned) and it resonated with me. Midsommer is the same kind of movie except about co-dependency. Both can easily be read literally or figuratively without too much effort—in this way both remind me of something like Drive.

Anyway if Hereditary makes you sad and seems like it is celebrating sadness, I would argue instead that it’s trying to communicate the feeling of biological/chemical sadness, which is different than like the kind of sadness you feel when someone dies or you don’t get a promotion or whatever (still valid feelings, just different).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I enjoy, either as entertainment or as a lesson, heavy movies like Parasite and Hereditary, which is why I have no trouble shelling out for dumb, stupid, fun movies. I took the kiddo to see the Impractical Jokers movie today and it was just 90 minutes of laughing our asses off. I didn't worry about work, she didn't worry about school, we just sat there, ate popcorn, and enjoyed the film.

I love you guys and gals but spending 100% of your time worrying about the world will kill you, mentally, emotionally, and physically. Take some R&R for yourselves when you can, or else you're gonna burn out when the world needs you most.

quote:

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice. Pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

nothing I like more than turning my brain off after a long day of board games, collectible card games, video games, movies, tv, streaming,

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
don’t forget posting!

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Big Huski Boi posted:

I wish we had more relentlessly pessimistic sci-fi like in the 70s but I'm not gonna complain too much

Soylent Green a legit good movie despite knowing the ending ahead of time.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

We caught the mouse :woop: it was so tiny and cute I’m glad we bought a catch-and-release trap. Took it to a wooded area near a river where it will probably get eaten by a cat or bird but w/e that’s a more natural end than trapped under some floorboards

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Captain Magic posted:

Hereditary is a movie about what it feels like to have depression.

When you have depression it feels like everything around you is being ripped apart directly or indirectly because of your actions and then when you finally think you’ve truly “got it”, like you understand everything in a sensational moment of escalating clarity, you harm the people closest to you and it turns out a horrible self-harming demon has total control of your actions and has all along.

I enjoyed it because I recognized this (people who recognized this but who didn’t enjoy it are not stupid or bad-opinioned) and it resonated with me. Midsommer is the same kind of movie except about co-dependency. Both can easily be read literally or figuratively without too much effort—in this way both remind me of something like Drive.

Anyway if Hereditary makes you sad and seems like it is celebrating sadness, I would argue instead that it’s trying to communicate the feeling of biological/chemical sadness, which is different than like the kind of sadness you feel when someone dies or you don’t get a promotion or whatever (still valid feelings, just different).

I mean I got the metaphor, my problems lie in (to me at least) that both films were glacially paced (and way too long), the dialogue was disjointed and really forced, they were full of pointless details that never went anywhere, and were both really predictable and relied heavily on shock value. Both films suffered from the exact same problems and people always look at me like a crazy person when I talk about this though so it's probably just not for me. I fully admit that I'm a weirdo that's really hard to please and my favorite horror movie is 1963's The Haunting. If you've never seen it watch it cold sometime ie don't watch trailers or clips or whatever. It's great to watch.

In the night.

In the dark.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

the haunting whips the llamas rear end.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I fully admit that I'm a weirdo that's really hard to please and my favorite horror movie is 1963's The Haunting. If you've never seen it watch it cold sometime ie don't watch trailers or clips or whatever. It's great to watch.

In the night.

In the dark.

:hf:

The original is absolutely amazing and I second this poster’s taste in movies.

The Netflix series is awesome too!

The 1999 remake is good for getting drunk with friends and making fun of.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

so malaysia's political situation is very much NOT GREAT and this is a very scary situation right now :(

the current prime minister resigned, and as far as i can tell he's doing it to elect himself back into power*

with big hits and shuffles to economy, the parties, etc

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Realtalk Julie Harris' lead role in Haunting is one of the best performances in cinema history. Just absolutely stunning from start to finish.

CobiWann posted:

The 1999 remake is good for getting drunk with friends and making fun of.

I'm sorry but the 1999 remake doesn't exist, mods please ban anyone mentioning such fables and let us never speak of any ridiculous remakes in the future. Now is a time of healing.

Artelier posted:

so malaysia's political situation is very much NOT GREAT and this is a very scary situation right now :(

the current prime minister resigned, and as far as i can tell he's doing it to elect himself back into power*

with big hits and shuffles to economy, the parties, etc

It is absolutely nuts how things have down over there lately. Mahathir has been so cagey and weird about putting Anwar in and this is honestly one of the most baffling political moves anyone could have predicted. Here's hoping that transparency and anti-corruption keep up there, stay strong and eat some cendol for me cause that stuff's good as hell.

Prokhor Zakharov fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Feb 24, 2020

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

does the fourth dark tower book ever get good, i understand most or all of it is a flashback but god drat it’s the worst stereotype of stephen king droning on about nothing so far

at least there’ll probably be no detta voice honky mahfahs, so i won’t have to cringe while bored

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

mahathir resigns as pm
king says, interim pm will be... mahathir
the pm will be in charge until a new cabinet is formed
who chooses the new cabinet? why of course the interim pm

...cendol is good tho :)

EDIT: i don't have the energy to look for the wistful / sad smile face atm

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

does the fourth dark tower book ever get good, i understand most or all of it is a flashback but god drat it’s the worst stereotype of stephen king droning on about nothing so far

at least there’ll probably be no detta voice honky mahfahs, so i won’t have to cringe while bored

Still better than the film

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Chris James 2 posted:

Still better than the film
i have heard it's incomprehensible if you haven't read all the books, and really unfaithful to the source material if you have, so there's literally no-one who would be happy with it

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I'm sorry but the 1999 remake doesn't exist, mods please ban anyone mentioning such fables and let us never speak of any ridiculous remakes in the future. Now is a time of healing.

Don't be stubborn. A closed mind is the worst defense against the supernatural. If it happens to you, you're liable to have that shut door in your mind ripped right off it's hinges!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

jesus WEP posted:

We caught the mouse :woop: it was so tiny and cute I’m glad we bought a catch-and-release trap. Took it to a wooded area near a river where it will probably get eaten by a cat or bird but w/e that’s a more natural end than trapped under some floorboards

Keep in mind that where there's one mouse there are probably more. I caught and released 17 at one house I lived in and I had no idea there were that many.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Keep in mind that where there's one mouse there are probably more. I caught and released 17 at one house I lived in and I had no idea there were that many.
yea in the three hours since that post i already caught and released a second one haha

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

just throw a bunch of catnip into the crawlspace, it'll take care of all your woes. Plus your floorboards will meow pleasantly now.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I am finally watching Chernobyl and god it's grimly depressing. Seriously awful poo poo.

Like, it's utterly fantastic as a period piece and gripping drama that I should've watched when it was on but god it's horrible.

The miners from Tula are fun at least

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
lol if you don’t want them to release the three and a half hour cut of hereditary

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I will literally never watch Hereditary ever again so I do not really care if they release a longer and more excrutiating version of it.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

When I was a kid I hated The Super Mario Brothers Movie. But now watching it again as an adult I get a real kick out of it. I've seen enough bad movies at this point to set it apart from that and it is at least interesting. It's so loving chaotic and weird that I have ended up liking it. I also love most the actors in it.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

rural juror

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

its a legit good movie, imo. Bold retelling of the videogame mythos.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Shard posted:

When I was a kid I hated The Super Mario Brothers Movie. But now watching it again as an adult I get a real kick out of it. I've seen enough bad movies at this point to set it apart from that and it is at least interesting. It's so loving chaotic and weird that I have ended up liking it. I also love most the actors in it.

my brother bought me that and some lovely weed for my birthday a few years ago so take that for what you will

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

jesus WEP posted:

God I loving hate this series.

I loved the Gunslinger. Really got into it. Didn’t read any others until like ten years later. I spent like two years slowly collecting all the books.

Then I reread Gunslinger, loved it again, and then read the second book and it’s just loving drab and awful for like a good 2/3rds of it—not even with enough decency to be bad consistently—and I have zero desire to read the rest.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Captain Magic posted:

God I loving hate this series.

I loved the Gunslinger. Really got into it. Didn’t read any others until like ten years later. I spent like two years slowly collecting all the books.

Then I reread Gunslinger, loved it again, and then read the second book and it’s just loving drab and awful for like a good 2/3rds of it—not even with enough decency to be bad consistently—and I have zero desire to read the rest.
my experience was the exact opposite, I thought the Gunslinger was kind of a slog but mercifully its a really quick read, and picks up in the back half. Drawing and Wastelands were both lots and lots of fun to read, notwithstanding the horrible cringe of King writing black person dialogue. Now Wizard and Glass is back to being a slog.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I said it in the old thread and bears saying again:

Stephen King is a hack

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

You are just jealous you were not smart enough to think of dope poo poo like memeing on a choo choo train and loving doombots up with harry potter intellectual property

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Generally speaking I really like Stephen King. I would say I like about 70% of what he writes; it’s just that this 70% rarely includes an entire book of his.

Christine, Cujo, ‘Salem’s Lot, aaaand... Misery are all top notch books imo.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

what's with this thing where people think playing online games with nazis/fascists is actually causing harm to them in some way? Just saw an ad about it. killing someone in a game where you're meant to have fun killing eachother is not teaching someone a lesson. It's practically bonding

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Cavauro posted:

what's with this thing where people think playing online games with nazis/fascists is actually causing harm to them in some way? Just saw an ad about it. killing someone in a game where you're meant to have fun killing eachother is not teaching someone a lesson. It's practically bonding

people can’t get off the goddamn computer and actually do anything so they want to believe playing capture the flag with the enemy makes them a good person

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

coconono posted:

I said it in the old thread and bears saying again:

Stephen King is a hack

Sutter Cane is cool though

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I remember playing against white power clans back in the counterstrike days. They were terrible. Constantly got their rear end's beat.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Big Huski Boi posted:

Sutter Cane is cool though

:byob1:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Queen and Slim is extremely good, go watch that poo poo everyone. It's half a horror movie, half political drama, and one of the best romances I've seen in a while.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

What's ya'lls favorite movie? I really can't answer that anymore because there are so many I love but I KNOW what my first favorite movie was - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I rented that VHS like 100 times.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Robocop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The Shawshank Redemption