Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Okay how long has Disney been doing this live action remake poo poo because I've only heard of like three of these

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

RandomFerret posted:

Okay how long has Disney been doing this live action remake poo poo because I've only heard of like three of these

Forever

Race to Witch Mountain exists

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

RandomFerret posted:

Since the 90s
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Disney_live-action_remakes_of_animated_films

They've also remade a lot of their old live action films like The Shaggy Dog or That Darn Cat or The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes. They've remade Freaky Friday three times:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Disney_film_remakes

They've also made a huge number of direct-to-DVD animated sequels of their older animated movies and shows:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Disney_feature-length_home_entertainment_releases

They also used to re-release their classic films to cinemas all the time. They've very very carefully and methodically experimented in the optimal techniques for remaking their classic IPs in terms of generating the greatest financial gain over many decades and have pretty much perfected their techniques with these recent billion-dollar remakes. They've been incredibly patient and calculating, it's quite monstrous.

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 15:31 on Feb 23, 2020

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It's even more amazing when you realize that they were in danger of being bought out and split up only forty years ago.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Once upon a time a Don Bluth film was released the same day as a Disney film and the Bluth film was #1 for the weekend.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

To save a click, it should be noted that the current wave that we're in of plumbing the, like, A-list Animated Disney Canon for remakes starts with The Jungle Book in 2016 (or possibly Maleficent in 2014 if you count it). There's some attempts before then that are basically just one-and-done experiments, but that's the point when they realize 'oh drat, this can work for us' and start going full-scale on it using the same framework. Since then, there's been either five or eight so far, depending on if you count 'same universe, not the same story'. Soon to be plus one either way with the Mulan remake coming in March.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 16:14 on Feb 23, 2020

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Inzombiac posted:

I tried to watch the live action Aladdin movie and it solidified something for me:

There's no point in a remake that says nothing new. The live action Disney movies are basically shot-for-shot and are worse for it. Plus they don't have the charm of animated movies because that would be nearly impossible. They're all trainwrecks and I suspect Mulan will be the same except to even better in the Chinese market.

You've clearly not seen the trailers for Mulan. Pretty serious departure from the original, and not in a way that looks like an improvement. They look like instead they're trying to merge Hidden Dragon with Mulan plus adding a big chunk of magic that wasnt necessary.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Cleretic posted:

To save a click, it should be noted that the current wave that we're in of plumbing the, like, A-list Animated Disney Canon for remakes starts with The Jungle Book in 2016 (or possibly Maleficent in 2014 if you count it). There's some attempts before then that are basically just one-and-done experiments, but that's the point when they realize 'oh drat, this can work for us' and start going full-scale on it using the same framework. Since then, there's been either five or eight so far, depending on if you count 'same universe, not the same story'. Soon to be plus one either way with the Mulan remake coming in March.

Yeah once they really got the remake train going they’ve been releasing them at the same pace as MCU movies, 2-3 per year.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Cleretic posted:

To save a click, it should be noted that the current wave that we're in of plumbing the, like, A-list Animated Disney Canon for remakes starts with The Jungle Book in 2016 (or possibly Maleficent in 2014 if you count it). There's some attempts before then that are basically just one-and-done experiments

Their 2010 live action Alice in Wonderland movie made over a billion dollars and had a big budget sequel

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Their 2010 live action Alice in Wonderland movie made over a billion dollars and had a big budget sequel

Yes, but that's a bit like saying the Sam Raimi Spider-Man movies were part of the MCU. It was definitely a success for them, and might've seeded what came later, but it was before they really got a good repeatable formula going.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Holy poo poo, I forgot those existed because I only made it like 30 minutes into the first one before shutting it off. Some 2004-era billionaire philanthropist should have given Tim Burton a huge annual stipend to do nothing again, ever.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

RandomFerret posted:

I thought it started with Jungle Book but I guess not. Wasn't aware of all those others but then again I'm not a huge Disney person. I forgot about all those Cinderalla, Snow White and Sleeping Beauty things.

With Disney currently owning basically everything I expect that, moving forward, they'll remake every god damned thing they can so long as it makes money. Lion King remake got slaughtered critically but still made a gently caress ton of money so look forward to live action Monsters Inc, Nemo, Frozen, Zootopia within your lifetime a least. I wouldn't be surprised to see a live action Incredibles or Toy Story, which totally miss the point of the originals.

A Nemo live action remake might be cool, tbh, but the point to doing these artistically at least is "how can we add something fresh that wasn't in the animated version?" and I can't think of many Disney Cartoon films where that's applicable. But The Mouse is going to keep making these things for as long as they make millions of dollars and I fully expect them to milk the idea for all it's worth.

Sorry I can't think of any subtle movie moments to contribute.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Toy story is already a remake of Jim Henson’s The Christmas Toy, but I could see them doing another puppet style version of it

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I think the next cow that Disney will milk dry in regards to their animated library is CGI remakes of their hand drawn animated movies.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Live action Toy Story where the toys are all actors in practical costumes like we see at Disney World, and the humans are giant CGI Kaiju beasts

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

beanieson posted:

Live action Toy Story where the toys are all actors in practical costumes like we see at Disney World, and the humans are giant CGI Kaiju beasts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3PtI-ljZAU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

beanieson posted:

This sounds like a waking nightmare and I have never wanted to see a movie so bad in my life.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Ugly In The Morning posted:

This sounds like a waking nightmare and I have never wanted to see a movie so bad in my life.

Waking nightmare?

Mate that was Johnson and friends

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Wait until all of you realize that these are all just part of the SSU (Small Soldiers Universe).

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

torgeaux posted:

You've clearly not seen the trailers for Mulan. Pretty serious departure from the original, and not in a way that looks like an improvement. They look like instead they're trying to merge Hidden Dragon with Mulan plus adding a big chunk of magic that wasnt necessary.

It looks like it's got some wushu elements, like the bandits leaping from their horses and running up the castle wall. I'm down for some old school, wire-fu on a Disney budget.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It's even more amazing when you realize that they were in danger of being bought out and split up only forty years ago.

And a little over thirty years ago (before The Little Mermaid) they were looking at their back catalogue and the massive domestic uptake of VHS and thinking "meh we can just slow roll out our library on VHS and do fine, we don't need to be making original movies anymore".

Then The Little Mermaid went gangbusters and they were suddenly a much more viable concern as a studio.

mllaneza posted:

It looks like it's got some wushu elements, like the bandits leaping from their horses and running up the castle wall. I'm down for some old school, wire-fu on a Disney budget.

Do you mean Wuxia? Wushu is the martial art.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

SiKboy posted:

From what I remember the Colin Farrel Total Recall reboot was different enough that if felt more like a new attempt to adapt the book than a remake of the verhoeven film. Still wasnt particularly good though.
I thought it was a bit better than it's generally given credit for, because the second half is such a collection of loosely connected action movie cliches, from the general structure down to individual shots like Colin Farrell stealthily taking down henchmen that you've seen a hundred times before - and the scene where he returns to his old apartment is straight lifted from Bourne Identity - , that it feels like it very deliberately wants to point out that this is still exactly the kind of fake memory he paid for, just like in the 90's movie they summarize what the plot's going to be right at the start.

or it's just a genuinely generic sci fi action flick, y'know

But also it doesn't have the Wacky Black Cabbie. That's a bit of the 90s one that hasn't aged well.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The 90s movie has scenes that don't feature Quaid, it can't possible be false memories.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

My Lovely Horse posted:

I thought it was a bit better than it's generally given credit for, because the second half is such a collection of loosely connected action movie cliches, from the general structure down to individual shots like Colin Farrell stealthily taking down henchmen that you've seen a hundred times before - and the scene where he returns to his old apartment is straight lifted from Bourne Identity - , that it feels like it very deliberately wants to point out that this is still exactly the kind of fake memory he paid for, just like in the 90's movie they summarize what the plot's going to be right at the start.

or it's just a genuinely generic sci fi action flick, y'know

But also it doesn't have the Wacky Black Cabbie. That's a bit of the 90s one that hasn't aged well.
:confused:

(Unless this is some :thejoke: that's going on.)

Total Recall 2012 felt so video game-y that I'm starting to think it was done on purpose to make the audience suspect this isn't real at all.
Example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayYqrBIkHN0
The wide shots during the rooftop chase look straight out of a side-scrolling platform game like Crash Bandicoot.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Android Apocalypse posted:

:confused:

(Unless this is some :thejoke: that's going on.)

He means the one on Mars that betrays him and he kills with a giant drill.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Aphrodite posted:

The 90s movie has scenes that don't feature Quaid, it can't possible be false memories.

Cutscenes don't always have the main character in them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Memories always do.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

rydiafan posted:

He means the one on Mars that betrays him and he kills with a giant drill.

Holy poo poo I forgot about Benny.

In my defense I think of him as mutant first, black guy second, as I am enlightened & don't see race. :v:

Shame about his demise though; he had 4 kids to feed.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Android Apocalypse posted:

Shame about his demise though; he had 4 kids to feed.
He's not even married!

A detail I really enjoy is that this murderous mutant on Mars wouldn't have children out of wedlock. I guess the Catholic church got there early.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Benny the mutant cabby is a big believer in the traditional family unit.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
A small thing that I'm enjoying in The Raven, the John Cusack movie from years ago that everyone forgot about, is that Poe in the film only shits on professional writers who poo poo on him, or non-writers. Amateur writers he's actually kind of nice to. A girl in a class or some kind of performance he's doing (he recites the Raven then invites his audience to tell a poem of their own) reads out a very simple poem about a butterfly and bee and gets embarrassed when he stops her, thinking it's because she's poo poo, but he actually says a lot of positive things, spinning out a very basic rhyme where it's obvious she just got stuck on the word into a symbolic gesture about nature versus modern society and it makes her feel better about herself. :3: I like that he's nice to people that don't actively hate him.

Just getting around to the movie because I forgot it existed and was curious about it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

There's no point in a remake that says nothing new. The live action Disney movies are basically shot-for-shot and are worse for it. Plus they don't have the charm of animated movies because that would be nearly impossible. They're all trainwrecks and I suspect Mulan will be the same except to even better in the Chinese market.

I have been apathetic to hostile to Disney live action and I am absolutely stoked for Mulan. The magic subplot is...odd, but she'll still bring honor to Disney.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Holy poo poo, I forgot those existed because I only made it like 30 minutes into the first one before shutting it off. Some 2004-era billionaire philanthropist should have given Tim Burton a huge annual stipend to do nothing again, ever.

Man, Tim Burton. What a perfect example of wasted talent, or something.

Planet of the Apes happened and everything he did since is pretty awful. Beetlejuice is a seriously great, weird, amazing movie.

More of those please and no more loving sinister mall goth Depp stuff.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Tall Tale Teller posted:

Planet of the Apes happened and everything he did since is pretty awful. Beetlejuice is a seriously great, weird, amazing movie.

He started doing straight adaptations of other things. Some adaptations worked, like Sleepy Hollow, which was right before PotA and it's amazing. I'd argue that Sweeney Todd is good, but it has all the trappings of "bad" Tim Burton in it. Mars Attacks was before, but it didn't really have enough source material to be considered an adaptation in my mind, and that's still a fun movie.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
God I hate Tim Burton, at least Tim Burton after having him and his pet cast shoved down our throats for years. The Burton Batmans (Batmen?) were good. Beetlejuice was great. I even enjoyed Sweeney Todd when it came out and being a huge musical theatre nerd was kind of A Thing in the circles I was in. But I'm so goddamn tired of his aesthetic and I'm tired of Johnny Depp playing one of two characters in everything opposite Helena Bonham Carter's one.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

TheKennedys posted:

God I hate Tim Burton, at least Tim Burton after having him and his pet cast shoved down our throats for years. The Burton Batmans (Batmen?) were good. Beetlejuice was great. I even enjoyed Sweeney Todd when it came out and being a huge musical theatre nerd was kind of A Thing in the circles I was in. But I'm so goddamn tired of his aesthetic and I'm tired of Johnny Depp playing one of two characters in everything opposite Helena Bonham Carter's one.

good - Pee-wee's Big Adventure
amazing - Beetlejuice
good - Batman
amazing - Edward Scissorhands
very good - Batman Returns
great - Ed Wood
eh, I love it - Mars Attacks!
just under amazing - Sleepy Hollow
terrible, but does have great makeup - Planet of the Apes
overrated honestly, but decent - Big Fish
unneeded, but the oompa-loompa songs are good - Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
eh, soulless - Corpse Bride
I like it, but it feels soulless again - Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
nope - Alice in Wonderland
okay, but soulless - Dark Shadows
eh - Frankenweenie
never saw or cared - Big Eyes
never saw or cared - Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
never saw or cared - Dumbo

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The only bad thing about Mars Attacks is that it didn't do well enough to justify the sequel, Dinosaurs Attack

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Burton did Dumbo?

He must have absolutely hated himself the whole time. I love it.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Tall Tale Teller posted:

I'll stan for Big Fish. Kinda saccharine but whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Krispy Wafer posted:

I have been apathetic to hostile to Disney live action and I am absolutely stoked for Mulan. The magic subplot is...odd, but she'll still bring honor to Disney.

I've seen this mentioned twice, but wasn't there a dragon in the original animated version? I mean, is it really a big leap to go from "Dragon" to "Magic"?