Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Chuka Umana posted:

https://nusmedicine.nus.edu.sg/medias/news-info/2230-hot-and-humid-weather-may-end-the-novel-coronavirus

This study argues that the spread will subside with the arrival of hot and humid weather. Regardless, we still have two to three months before that arrives.

I'm hoping that despite it being the hottest winter on record again, that we'll have an unseasonably cold spring and summer :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Chuka Umana posted:

https://nusmedicine.nus.edu.sg/medias/news-info/2230-hot-and-humid-weather-may-end-the-novel-coronavirus

This study argues that the spread will subside with the arrival of hot and humid weather. Regardless, we still have two to three months before that arrives.

quote:

The HKU team argued that this may be the reason warm and humid Southeast Asian countries did not have SARS outbreaks, unlike Hong Kong and Singapore where in their words, there is “intensive use of air-conditioning”.

Maybe this will be what it takes for modern office buildings to no longer set the air conditioning to 58 degrees

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/alvinllum/status/1231840419350102018?s=21

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

kitten smoothie posted:

Maybe this will be what it takes for modern office buildings to no longer set the air conditioning to 58 degrees
WOW, I don't see them citing my earlier post on the subject. Shame on them.

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer

kitten smoothie posted:

Well I'm hosed. Every single bushiness in Georgia keeps it below 50 at all times. I have to carry a fleece around in the summer in case I got into a Publix or something.

HAM ON THE BONE
Aug 22, 2009

Pillbug
Welp, husband and I just moved our 401k investments into bonds. Gonna lose a bit today obviously but he admitted that I was probably right and that we should have moved them last week and that is worth more than any amount of money lol. Gonna make a big costco run today and stock up too.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Men who have sex with men smoke.

smoke dick everyday

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Is this actually any worse than just regular old flu?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
yeah

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Coming back from vacation in the Domican to make the olds at work poo poo themselves thinking I might have corona.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Trump is going to be mad as poo poo that he won't be able to hold his dumb rear end rallies

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

nope. Just a bunch of people shutting down countries and hiding the true effects becuase this is just well yeah as bad as the regular flu.

Which honestly do you understand how bad the flu really is? Lower respiratory infections are like the leading causes of death in developing countries, and not far behind in developed. Doubling the rate would have dramatic effects and push these sort of deaths way past double.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

yeah lol

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

*thread laughs smugly as it catches the flu and covid at the same time*

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Significantly so. The only point of comparison is that the flu is also very bad, so don't entirely lose your mind to panic. This is not apocalyptic, it's nasty as gently caress and potentially will affect everyone.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
poo poo! here comes the flu!

weld everyone's doors shut! crash the world economy!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Vishass posted:

Trump is going to be mad as poo poo that he won't be able to hold his dumb rear end rallies

Holy poo poo I didn't even realize this lmaoooooo

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Thank you Coronachan

rump buttman
Feb 14, 2018

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

[slamming my fork & knife on the table]

Arc...Weld...er...Arc...Weld...er...

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
Corona gives, and corona takes away

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Lawman 0 posted:

Thank you Coronachan

No, Trump should definitely keep holding rallies so they all catch this at once. Imagine if those dudes that go to every rally Grateful Dead style caught it. :getin:

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 24, 2020

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Vishass posted:

*thread laughs smugly as it catches the flu and covid at the same time*

Now you're thinking, Coronafluenza!

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Lawman 0 posted:

Thank you Coronachan

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Lawman 0 posted:

Thank you Coronachan

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

AceOfFlames posted:

No, Trump should definitely keep holding rallies so they all catch this at once. Imagine if those dudes that go to every rally rally Grateful Dead style caught it. :getin:

Keep going I'm almost there

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Xinjiang crew rollin' up

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

20-50x death rate

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Lawman 0 posted:

Thank you Coronachan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce-LjCpserA

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Agronox posted:

Xinjiang crew rollin' up

that is a great photo

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
“just time the market on your long term investments” is pro as gently caress financial advice and it gets given in cspam all the time and it’s why we’re all millionaire hedge fund guys on the side

personally I converted everything to short term bonds last week and plan to buy in buy back in at the low point when things have cooled down

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Just had an all hands at our company and our CEO said a bunch of misleading things about 'coronavirus'.

Including 'The flu is worse', 'Everyone get's corona virus and is just causes common cold symptoms', 'Nothing to worry about don't panic'

Said he and other CEO's had some lunch meeting with a guy who is head of Infectious Diseases for the CDC or something along those lines. Either totally didn't understand what the dood was talking about or word is on high that they can't stop this and to try to help reduce panic. I mean the stuff he said isn't false, it's just taken together the message was 'this is not a concern and never will be'

I mean stock futures aren't down due to a bunch of dopes selling stuff from their 401k. This is hedge fund managers and the rest of capital pulling money out cause they see the writing on the wall. Meanwhile they tell the rest of us 'don't panic, we need you around after this is over'.

pigz fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 24, 2020

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Squinky v2.0 posted:

“just time the market on your long term investments” is pro as gently caress financial advice and it gets given in cspam all the time and it’s why we’re all millionaire hedge fund guys on the side

personally I converted everything to short term bonds last week and plan to buy in buy back in at the low point when things have cooled down

Everyone on Somethingawful is old and decrepit now though which does make the actual good advice of "wait you idiot if your portoflios actually diverse itll recover its value and then some" a little less salient.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

SKULL.GIF posted:

the problem with this approach is when do you decide to buy back into the market?

4 or 5 years from now at the bottom of the next recession.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
I think better advice right now is "have enough liquid assets accessible for an extended quarantine"

And probably some actual cash hidden somewhere if there's a run on banks - ATM's ain't getting refilled during a quarantine

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

My boss just got back from 2 weeks in Hawaii what are the chances he’s infected

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

bird with big dick posted:

he's a loving dead man and i, for one, am glad to see it

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

It's too late, you're already dead.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/esteban01137776/status/1231919911636697089?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Not to be an alarmist, but you should start wearing a gas mask to work and make the sign of the cross every time you see him