Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Frustrated posted:

The Dreamhack Anaheim tournament is starting to look like a disaster. Moon v Thorzain has had two disconnects with Thorzain leading in both games. Good thing Blizzard removed LAN and never implemented a way to pause and reconnect...

Edit: They switched to classic TFT on LAN!

I want to laugh at this ongoing train of fuckups but I just feel bad for all the people in the wc3 proscene at this point, god drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

they didn’t remove LAN, just log out from the main menu and you can host LAN games. the real fuckup is the classic graphics desync. there are some (unknown) events that get handled differently by classic vs reforged graphics-running clients, and that results in an instant desync. when this happens on battle.net, the participating clients “vote” on which fork of the game state to continue with, and the vote-losers get kicked. if it’s 50-50 it appears to be a coin flip.

and they didn’t play the last game on tft, they just switched the host and obs to classic graphics. the vote situation described above is what happens when there’s a neutral server hosting the game. when it’s LAN (like dreamhack was), there’s a single source of game state truth: the host client. the host (and the observer, obviously) were using reforged graphics while the players were using classic. when a desync occurs in that situation, the host always wins, the desynced player just gets kicked, no voting. this is what happened to thorzain twice. he’s gotta be pissed about that...he did not look happy after the series

there was another notable desync on day 2 - neutron vs lawliet (NE mirror) on EI, lawliet tried to set up an AoW creep at his merc camp but neutron successfully pulled the merc creeps who killed the AoW, then lawliet desynced. after like 20 minutes of deliberation, they agreed to replay the beginning of the game identically to the desynced game. weird stuff

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

What a mess. Can I just have my favorite game (and 29GB of storage space) back?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

uniball posted:

they didn’t remove LAN, just log out from the main menu and you can host LAN games. the real fuckup is the classic graphics desync. there are some (unknown) events that get handled differently by classic vs reforged graphics-running clients, and that results in an instant desync. when this happens on battle.net, the participating clients “vote” on which fork of the game state to continue with, and the vote-losers get kicked. if it’s 50-50 it appears to be a coin flip.

and they didn’t play the last game on tft, they just switched the host and obs to classic graphics. the vote situation described above is what happens when there’s a neutral server hosting the game. when it’s LAN (like dreamhack was), there’s a single source of game state truth: the host client. the host (and the observer, obviously) were using reforged graphics while the players were using classic. when a desync occurs in that situation, the host always wins, the desynced player just gets kicked, no voting. this is what happened to thorzain twice. he’s gotta be pissed about that...he did not look happy after the series

there was another notable desync on day 2 - neutron vs lawliet (NE mirror) on EI, lawliet tried to set up an AoW creep at his merc camp but neutron successfully pulled the merc creeps who killed the AoW, then lawliet desynced. after like 20 minutes of deliberation, they agreed to replay the beginning of the game identically to the desynced game. weird stuff

There is zero excuse for this to be happening to a game 2 years after release, much less 18 years after release.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Since Taiwan is a retricted lobby name, is Hong Kong also banned?

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

New patch: 1.32.2

quote:

Warcraft III: Reforged Patch Notes

Version 1.32.2

February 24, 2020

Changes and Bug Fixes

Campaign
- Audio levels for some dialogue have been adjusted.
- The animations, triggers, and cameras for some cutscenes have been tweaked.
- Fixed multiple campaign missions that had units appear invisible.
- Multiple inventory issues have been fixed for the Rexxar campaign.
- Fixed multiple bugs throughout the Reign of Chaos and The Frozen Throne Campaigns
- Updated the cutscene cinematic panel to transition cleanly between conversations.
- Fixed issues making Twilight of the Gods in the Reforged campaign easier to complete than intended.
- Tyrande’s inventory will no longer be absent on the Daughters of the Moon and The Awakening of Stormrage missions in the Classic campaign.

Custom Games
- Fixed multiple missing assets that were impacting Custom Games.
- The Custom Games list has been updated to better optimize searching.

Gameplay
- Fixed an issue where if a player quit multiple games and switched graphic settings, the user would get a “Match Found” but the game wouldn’t start.
- The Female Demon Hunter now uniquely metamorphosizes to her own model.
- Fixed an issue with Tranquil Paths where creeps were invisible.
- Updated the Firelord’s Incinerate ability icon in Reforged. It can still be auto-cast as normal.
- Guardian Golem now has an auto-attack impact sound.
- Fixed an issue where the Blademaster was immune to non-magic abilities like Ensnare while using the Bladestorm ability.
- Lady Vashj has a small update to her head to address her human ears.
- Succubus models are now visually distinct.
- Fixed an issue where new Reforged death sounds were playing in Classic Mode.
- Three maps have been temporarily removed from their respective map pools due to instability: Ruins of Stratholme (3v3), Banewood Bog LV (4v4), and Fountain of Manipulation (FFA). They may return once the issue has been resolved.

Interface
- Players are now able to leave the matchmaking queue in versus mode.
- Fixed an issue with team members entering a broken state when cancelling queue while the team is disbanded.
- When a player leaves a match, remaining players no longer receive the additional message “Blizzard has left the game.”
- Transitioning from cinematics to a mission no longer briefly displays campaign selection.
- Battletags now consistently show for team invites in the user interface.
- Map Vetos now save for Versus FFA Mode.
- Ultra-Widescreen is now a viable option in the options menu.
- The Grid Hotkey option now works correctly for campaign and hero units.
- Multiple localization fixes for text, subtitles, and truncation have been addressed in campaign and online play.
- Added Squelching to chat channel functionality.
- Fixed multiple portrait issues with units in both campaign and online play.

Editor
- Fixed an issue where melee-only abilities were showing up as hidden in the editor when using custom data.

System
- Fixed a crash that could occur while playing campaign, versus, or custom games with the ‘Low’ texture setting.
- Fixed a crash that could occur in systems with a high number of logical processors.

My favorite:

quote:

Lady Vashj has a small update to her head to address her human ears.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

..They gave her a hat, didn't they?

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Sort of. I'm reading that they just added more snakes/hair to cover up her ears but I'm not really sure.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

THE BAR posted:

..They gave her a hat, didn't they?
Yes. They left the ears on the model and gave her more hair.

Even though Nagas don't have ears or hair. Only Lady Vashj does with the snake hair.

And instead of fixing desyncs related to hitbox sizes in classic vs reforged and movement blockers on maps they removed the maps with the most movement blockers that would 100% cause desyncs. This is absolutely what hosed thorzain at dreamhack and caused issues for others in tournaments as well. Like what, you've had over a month and you can't fix a desync issue you introduced a year ago? Common desyncs are priority #1 in any multiplayer development. This isn't like a 1/100 game "how do we reproduce it" desync. It happens every. single. game.

It's also baffling how you ship a game with multiple ladder maps that just don't work, but hey it's reforged.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Feb 25, 2020

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I'm ambivalent about Vashj. I'm sorry I didn't get to see it before she was fixed, but I'm glad I didn't stumble onto it while playing in bed and piss myself laughing.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Khorne posted:

Yes. They left the ears on the model and gave her more hair.

Even though Nagas don't have ears or hair. Only Lady Vashj does with the snake hair.

And instead of fixing desyncs related to hitbox sizes in classic vs reforged and movement blockers on maps they removed the maps with the most movement blockers that would 100% cause desyncs. This is absolutely what hosed thorzain at dreamhack and caused issues for others in tournaments as well. Like what, you've had over a month and you can't fix a desync issue you introduced a year ago? Common desyncs are priority #1 in any multiplayer development. This isn't like a 1/100 game "how do we reproduce it" desync. It happens every. single. game.

It's also baffling how you ship a game with multiple ladder maps that just don't work, but hey it's reforged.

There's still some as-yet untold story about how the game shipped with literally so close to nothing at all done by blizzard. Like the art was all redone by the contracted studio, so blizzard's contribution was remaking a launcher that removed half of the features of the game? And the launcher is just a chrome browser window, so yknow, again idk how much they actually did there.

Obviously the final order to push the game out was specifically so it could be a bulletpoint on their report to investors given the timing, but even in light of that, it was apparently receiving development resources from them for a year or two

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 25, 2020

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Herstory Begins Now posted:

There's still some as-yet untold story about how the game shipped with literally so close to nothing at all done by blizzard.
There was a lot done porting to bnet2. WC3 likely had a whole lot of poorly/un documented processes and services integrated with bnet. The scope of bnet1 wc3 backend was quite large, to the point where they disabled large parts of it as time went on. Long before the reforged work started.

BNet2 also seems to be a recipe for mediocrity and missing core features judging from other Blizzard titles.

My guess is the people managing process kept switching tasks people were working on while not prioritizing really important stuff because everything was taking far longer than expected. You can tell from the very public interviews that the people in charge of art direction and more were completely clueless about RTS and games in general. It was all career-oriented yesman talk and very detached from what it takes to make effective art decisions or a quality game. It's all stuff that sounds good until you think about context, like making the models look more like WoW cinematics. That's all great from a side view, but from the RTS angle and in the context of other WC3 asset sizes it's junk.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 25, 2020

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Here, this is what they did to change Vashj.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

There's still some as-yet untold story about how the game shipped with literally so close to nothing at all done by blizzard. Like the art was all redone by the contracted studio, so blizzard's contribution was remaking a launcher that removed half of the features of the game? And the launcher is just a chrome browser window, so yknow, again idk how much they actually did there.

Obviously the final order to push the game out was specifically so it could be a bulletpoint on their report to investors given the timing, but even in light of that, it was apparently receiving development resources from them for a year or two

I can tell you the story right now

Bobby Kotick called up J Allen Brack and said "we need diablo mobile done in a year. Put most of your resources on that. If you wanna do diablo 4, fine, but then you can't also do warcraft. Outsource it."

Brack: "k"

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

BlazetheInferno posted:

Lol just slide the crown piece down a little. I do the same with a beanie to keep my ears warm

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
Why's it a big deal that she has ears? Isn't she an elf?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Disargeria posted:

Why's it a big deal that she has ears? Isn't she an elf?

1) Exactly, she's an *elf*, why does she have human ears?
2) Naga have never been shown with ears.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I think the new Vashj looks fine. I will keep safe the terrible secret of her ears.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

For giggles, I looked at the model in the editor. The ears are still there, they're just covered by the snake-hair.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I think the new Vashj looks fine. I will keep safe the terrible secret of her ears.
Yeah, new vashj looks fine. They made the crown larger and tighter to her head which probably reads better in-game, too.

It's weird to not remove the ears.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I interpret it as a simple case of "if they can't see them, why bother?"

If you need to actively *try* to look to see if the ears are still there, then good enough, I figure. It's not like the original Warcraft 3 never took shortcuts - the Ooze enemies actually used the same texture files as the Acolyte.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

BlazetheInferno posted:

:lol: :cheers:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

The ears are very specifically hidden underneath the snake-hair, so you have to clip the camera through the model to see them. Still insanely funny to me that they're still there, though.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Removing the ears would mean having to mess with the topology of the base model. It's far easier to add another smaller mesh over the problem area to block it off visually. The snakehead mesh already has a shared texture so it's practically an effortless solution - that in itself is fine. What isn't as good is that they also moved the "crown" around her eyes a little down, so now they look ugly and displaced.

What I find really funny is that the ears were ever there at all, on full display during beta and such. Nobody at Blizzard who was supposed to be in charge of the visual quality of the models ever cared enough to have it fixed until the game got released and fans complained. This is a very "modern Blizzard" problem.

What's even stranger is that the Vashj player profile portrait has the ears covered up properly and the crown in the right place, as seen is this datamined collection from October. So this is also a case of one hand not listening to the other.

BlazetheInferno posted:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

ErrEff posted:

Removing the ears would mean having to mess with the topology of the base model.

Someone asked me for a clear image so I popped open some recording software to catch the relevant frames. Turns out they did exactly that! The topology is gone but the textures are still there, so underneath the snake-hair is a weird ear-shaped splatter.

Which nobody is ever going to see, of course, but still. Fun trivia for a dead game, I suppose.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

I've developed a fun issue since the patch where my screen will constantly flicker between a black screen and then back to the game whenever I'm in full screen or full screen windowed. Something tells me they did not properly fix the ultra-wide screen resolutions... It's sad how incompetent this company is now.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Free Hong Kong > WarCraft III: Something tells me they did not properly fix

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
When I killed Sylvanas in the undead campaign, her banshee model always has her mouth open.

Her mouth moves when she's doing her normal click-move/attack quotes, but it always goes back to a default of an open mouth, mouth breathing, probably drooling dark purple ghost of her old self.

I FEEL LIKE THAT THIS IS A COMMENTARY ON

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Ok why the hell can I not just play a 1v1 against comps without making a drat custom online lobby? I keep wanting something to be alright about this remake but what the gently caress. I'm in a lobby waiting for other players to load when it's just me and the loving ai!

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

TGG posted:

Ok why the hell can I not just play a 1v1 against comps without making a drat custom online lobby? I keep wanting something to be alright about this remake but what the gently caress. I'm in a lobby waiting for other players to load when it's just me and the loving ai!

i get what you're saying. but you can make a LAN game by logging out (open the game, open menu, log out). or you can do a whole convoluted thing to do a single player vs AI game.

Unrelated! we played a game tonight against our new nemesis cdawg3x (story here). it was a super close one (vod, replay) that i very much wanted to win. i just got a heart rate monitor - check out the correlation between my heart rate and my APM during this adrenaline-filled high stakes game:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Jesus, they really went all-in to try to shut you guys down early. Very nice job on the win!

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
Here's a very satisfying blademaster kill I got a few days ago.
Admitting I enjoy playing this game makes me feel like moleman in the back of the theatre saying "boo-urns".

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Mata posted:

Admitting I enjoy playing this game makes me feel like moleman in the back of the theatre saying "boo-urns".

Carry on you wayward son.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Mata posted:

I thought you were the orc and this was from someone else's pov. I kept wondering how you were going to get that AM kill. Reality didn't match up.

It did make me want to play some wc3.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Mar 6, 2020

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

video game 3 remade is bad lol

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Amnomia posted:

video game 3 remade is bad lol

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Kith posted:

Someone asked me for a clear image so I popped open some recording software to catch the relevant frames. Turns out they did exactly that! The topology is gone but the textures are still there, so underneath the snake-hair is a weird ear-shaped splatter.

Which nobody is ever going to see, of course, but still. Fun trivia for a dead game, I suppose.

this is the sort of thing a single person learning Blender would do cause they're not sure what they're doing yet and haven't figured out texture mapping

lol

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

the game was broken in a new way for a few days earlier in the week when some (longish?) games would be suddenly ended by the server shortly after the first player leaves (e.g. one, two). but it seems that's stopped for now so we're still building towers!

here's a Twilight Ruins from today where we have to fight against two full control groups of dragonhawks: replay | VOD

then we played three Bifocal Reverse Gilderbases in a row. well the first one didn't end up being a BRG. but each of these are special delights for us and horrible experiences for our enemies. replay 1, 2, 3 | VOD

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

clan towa is literally the only thing keeping my interest in WC3 anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikJLYYTrIxs

I am going to laugh if EA manages to do their C&C remaster better than blizzard