Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

oliwan posted:

how the hell do you people still remember in such detail what was covered in high school

if you are in your 30s it is not unusual to occasionally remember things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

oliwan posted:

how the hell do you people still remember in such detail what was covered in high school

I remember some things from high school very well. I'm sure there is much, much more I was taught that I have no idea about anymore.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/nicktolhurst/status/1231168412266749952

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Delicious

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Except that it was mostly retirees voting for Brexit. They don't give a poo poo as long as the scary Romanians go away.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Samovar posted:

And, like most British entertainment, they're inevitably shite.

And racist, don't forget racist.

Britain's children's entertainment is better than average if it's only racist, too.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

marktheando posted:

Yeah the main thing that sticks in my mind from the British Museum is they shipped an entire ancient temple there, it's shameless lmao

it really is stunning, the entire british museum is so gross. i described it at the time as less the british museum and more the globes collection of things not adequately nailed down.

somewhat counter-intuitively the imperial war museum was much better- more honest. the british museum demurred - this work of art is an antique of priceless value look how we treasure it something something the sum totality of the human experience (don't worry about where we got it all its fine). IWM was a thoroughly documented and evidenced history of war against an entire planet. i last visited in mid november 2016, where they were hosting an incredibly effective and deeply, deeply harrowing exhibit on the holocaust. it was kind of a radicalizing experience, actually.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

ghislaine has some big naturals.

there goes my theory that goodness is stored in the breasts

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i'm struggling not to be jealous of sanders success after our own failure, but i should just be happy instead

*struggles to channel an unbritish emotion*

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 06:19 on Mar 23, 2021

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Communist Thoughts posted:

i'm struggling not to be jealous of sanders success after our own failure, but i should just be happy instead

*struggles to channel an unbritish emotion*

Don't worry about it. In the likely event of a Sanders presidency the tories won't be able to sell off NHS assets to Big Pharma.

That's at least a silver lining. Maybe.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I've never been to the British museum despite being taken to lots of London museums as a kid by my dad and it's obvious why lol

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Valko posted:

Don't worry about it. In the likely event of a Sanders presidency the tories won't be able to sell off NHS assets to Big Pharma.

That's at least a silver lining. Maybe.

I would put a non-zero amount of money on “big pharma moves to the UK and the tables flip” tbh

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
For me the British Museum was just kind of...boring? It just seemed like a bunch of really old stuff we had nicked.

By comparison I went to the se IWM holocaust exhibit too and it was really great, and in the main hallls they would have stuff like British army land rovers used in Northern Ireland next to examples of pro-republican gear. It was neat!

K9
May 6, 2007

MikeCrotch posted:

For me the British Museum was just kind of...boring? It just seemed like a bunch of really old stuff we had nicked.

By comparison I went to the se IWM holocaust exhibit too and it was really great, and in the main hallls they would have stuff like British army land rovers used in Northern Ireland next to examples of pro-republican gear. It was neat!
The Mold Cape is pretty cool

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the british museum has a moral obligation to keep hold of all the stuff it's got on display, because if it repatriated it all, it would be harder for me to go and look at it

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

PawParole posted:

ghislaine has some big naturals.

there goes my theory that goodness is stored in the breasts

hmmm yes be hornier for pedo sex traffickers, a fine look

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Bust Rodd posted:

hmmm yes be hornier for pedo sex traffickers, a fine look

Better than people being horny as hell for Theresa May tbh

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
actually theyre both terrible

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Private Speech posted:

I 'like' (scare quotes b/c seriously wtf) how BBC linked the recent attack in Germany with accepting refugees from the middle east

see Germans should have just deported the lot of them like we did :britsay:

That’s not what the article is saying. it’s correct that fear of immigrants has been exploited and that there is resentment. that resentment can’t be addressed and changed if it isn’t acknowledged. labour made the same mistake in the UK for a long time of dismissing fears and resentment about immigrants just as racism, which prevented it from properly grappling with those feelings and presenting a proper alternative argument.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

therattle posted:

That’s not what the article is saying. it’s correct that fear of immigrants has been exploited and that there is resentment. that resentment can’t be addressed and changed if it isn’t acknowledged. labour made the same mistake in the UK for a long time of dismissing fears and resentment about immigrants just as racism, which prevented it from properly grappling with those feelings and presenting a proper alternative argument.

here's my alternative argument to being a racist piece of poo poo:

gently caress off and die

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

therattle posted:

fears resentment about immigrants is literally racism op, hth

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

therattle posted:

That’s not what the article is saying. it’s correct that fear of the Jews has been exploited and that there is resentment. that resentment can’t be addressed and changed if it isn’t acknowledged. labour made the same mistake in the UK for a long time of dismissing fears and resentment about the Jews just as racism, which prevented it from properly grappling with those feelings and presenting a proper alternative argument.

Try reading your post as seen above and tell us how that sounds.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Fears and resentment towards immigrants can also be ethnic bigotry.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
whats going on in labour. are the blairites retaking the party

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Mackers posted:

here's my alternative argument to being a racist piece of poo poo:

gently caress off and die

I am getting fed up with old people screeching "sToP cAlLiNG us FaScISts!"

No, i'm sorry, but if you vote in lockstep with fascists, march alongside fascists, agree with fascists and repeat fascist talking points then you are, in fact, a fascist. If you want people to stop calling you a fascist there is a really easy way to accomplish that.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

therattle posted:

Actually UK Labour spent years acquiescing to the racial resentment narrative, agreeing with the Tories that immigration was a valid concern, and pandering to the racist element of their base. They even sold mugs about it. Should be of no surprise to anyone that a large part of their voter base decided to go Tory to Get Brexit Done, they've had decades of both parties telling them they're right to have "legitimate concerns" about too many polish people in the shops.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

therattle posted:

Go on, then.

What is a proper alternative argument to non-racist fear and resentment of immigrants, and how does it sway votes from people who would otherwise vote for Tezza and Bojo when they go on a podium and promise to get rid of all the Poles?

Zulily Zoetrope has issued a correction as of 10:57 on Feb 24, 2020

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

mila kunis posted:

whats going on in labour. are the blairites retaking the party

Looking that way. They have to pretend not to be blairites if they want to get elected by the members, we'll see how long it takes before the mask comes off.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Wolfsbane posted:

Looking that way. They have to pretend not to be blairites if they want to get elected by the members, we'll see how long it takes before the mask comes off.

If the membership falls for it then Labour deserves to die.

Seriously, can you really imagine the Labour right wilfully giving up power once they've gotten it back? They only gave it away in the first place because they assumed the left of the party was already extinct and wanted to have a go at the union's power next. A mistake they won't make again for a couple more decades until the hubris takes over again.

forkboy84 has issued a correction as of 11:19 on Feb 24, 2020

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Go on, then.

What is a proper alternative argument to non-racist fear and resentment of immigrants, and how does it sway votes from people who would otherwise vote for Tezza and Bojo when they go on a podium and promise to get rid of all the Poles?
blame the system and the capitalists for the race to the bottom for workers and stoke populist resentment against the people in power instead of immigrants at the bottom of the social totem pole

the pole isnt taking your job. the business owner is making you fight for scraps amongst each other.

note that liberal democrats in the US have for a long time done this song and dance of making their base blame immigrants too, but sanders is mysteriously ascendant in spite of this.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
yall need to start punching fascists

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Robo Reagan posted:

Given our insane press, monsterous government and the coronavirus I'm actually a little worried of racists leading pogroms against Asian and BAME migrant communities so that might well be a necessary response within the year.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Go on, then.

Point out that harsher immigration restrictions aren't actually about kicking out foreigners, but undermining workers' rights. Companies still want them, and the government will still let them in on 'temporary' visas that they're tacitly encouraged to overstay, but if their presence here is illegal, they have no legal redress to abuse and exploitation by employers (because the police will just deport them). End result, you get a slave underclass who have zero political representation and are dehumanised by the media, and are used to undercut wages and destroy collective bargaining. You know, exactly like how things are in the US.

Immigration controls undermine collective bargaining by creating a labour black market, and undermine democracy by creating a non-citizen underclass.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

Robo Reagan posted:

You are addressing one of the most evil groups of people in the history of the world

Like sure they're just gonna start punching themselves in the face

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Mackers posted:

You are addressing one of the most evil groups of people in the history of the world

Like sure they're just gonna start punching themselves in the face

hah fascists have nothing on the evil of the brits

they're gauche and infantile

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

If the membership falls for it then Labour deserves to die.

Seriously, can you really imagine the Labour right wilfully giving up power once they've gotten it back? They only gave it away in the first place because they assumed the left of the party was already extinct and wanted to have a go at the union's power next. A mistake they won't make again for a couple more decades until the hubris takes over again.

The membership have already established themselves as clowns. First they bounce the leadership into backing a 2nd referendum that handed an election to the Tories, and now that's blown up in our faces they're going to follow it up by electing the 'unifier' candidate backed by Progress & Labour First and voluntarily driving the grassroots left extinct. At this point we're a worse failcountry than the loving US

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

eh

the labour left whipped itself into a bit of a frenzy up towards the 2019 GE, and had been pretty much openly in denial about their position for about half a year before that. the 2019 manifesto was basically the dream manifesto for a lot of young leftie types (and hell, british labour's 2019 manifesto should be mined by parties of the left throughout europe for years to come, it's got some seriously great policy work) but they were mostly locked into their own communities and simply couldn't comprehend how strong brexit sentiment was - they lost badly becaues of forces they genuinely couldn't understand. it's a very demoralising thing to go through, especially after allowing oneself to hope. *i* felt the gut-punch and i'm not even british + am a veteran of many humiliating defeats. it's hard not to lose confidence and clarity of purpose under such circumstances, and though corbyn is once again sacrificing himself to buy the movement some time before he goes i can absolutely understand the shell-shock.

the answer is patently not mr. remain londoner, though he's broadly acceptable to the cosmopolitan young leftie types and is offering a rather comforting route into culture war mode. corbyn could be trusted in a way RLB simply cannot because he's stood firm against so much bullshit for so long; she just doesn't get the leeway that he does. when you're told in no uncertain terms that you're wrong, it's easier to go for someone who looks like they know what they're doing than to go with the young, female newcomer to the cause.

starmer is offering a return to idpol and through it an uncomplicated sense of moral superiority in opposition, and that's a pivot that the labour activists can mostly accept on its face. we'll see if they actually do, though - i don't think it's a given.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

multijoe posted:

The membership have already established themselves as clowns. First they bounce the leadership into backing a 2nd referendum that handed an election to the Tories, and now that's blown up in our faces they're going to follow it up by electing the 'unifier' candidate backed by Progress & Labour First and voluntarily driving the grassroots left extinct. At this point we're a worse failcountry than the loving US

Eh, we would have lost even had we stuck with a plan of enacting Brexit. Look at the polls from early 2019, Labour was haemorrhaging votes to the Lib Dems and Greens (and still lost 2 million votes to them in 2019 compared to 2017)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i think the last possible opportunity to avert disaster would've been if they could've actually swung a government of national unity, but the loving lib dems shot that down before it could even get going