Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

not bad, i think i got the ipad pro 2017 10.5" wi-fi model 512gb for roughly that much last year from b&hand thought i was king poo poo of gently caress mountain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Yeah, the price is only liable to come down after whatever refresh the iPad Pro gets. If none, you're only out some time.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

I'm on the 13.4 iPadOS beta and Apple Music seems to be completely broken for me. Anyone else dealing with this, or is it just a weird coincidence? I just resubbed recently and my library just sits on "loading library" and the For You/Browse pages eventually load but take about 5-6 seconds to respond to any touch input.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Are you asking if it's a weird coincidence that you installed the first beta of a new release of an OS and something broke?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Last Chance posted:

Are you asking if it's a weird coincidence that you installed the first beta of a new release of an OS and something broke?

As much as I like being on the beta channels to get stuff early, I can't deal with having stuff I need maybe not work for a week until a new beta build drops.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah my rule of thumb if I really want to deal with beta releases is taht I wait for like the fourth or fifth one for a point release

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Last Chance posted:

I figured I'd ask if this was a thing anyone else on the beta was experiencing or if it's a one-off. I don't know if the beta broke it because I haven't used it in a few point releases. I'm fine with poo poo breaking, just wondering if it's something that'll get resolved with updates or if it's something I need to futz with further.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for, but hoping to describe it and see if anyone know what kind of app may be out there to help.

I'm looking for an app that can very nimbly and quickly handle PDFs and/or images. I want to use my 12.9" pro as more of a hub for my guitar practicing/playing. I'm still very early in my journey and am taking my lessons. I get a lot of sheet music / notes from my instructor that I use pretty much religiously, but would be nice to shuffle them around (like I do in reality) in a linear fashion without much fuss.

I was initially thinking of OneNote, but the interface is a bit clunky and if I wanted to 'rearrange' the order of my pages, it's a PITA. So I'm picturing an app that is very loose with the structure of the pages and can reorder them in almost an infinite flow on the X axis, but also serve to organize them as they get more numerous. Perhaps into binders?

Sorry if that sounds odd, but trying to figure out how I want to organize my materials but also not be too restrictive and put a barrier between myself and the music.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

TraderStav posted:

I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for, but hoping to describe it and see if anyone know what kind of app may be out there to help.

I'm looking for an app that can very nimbly and quickly handle PDFs and/or images. I want to use my 12.9" pro as more of a hub for my guitar practicing/playing. I'm still very early in my journey and am taking my lessons. I get a lot of sheet music / notes from my instructor that I use pretty much religiously, but would be nice to shuffle them around (like I do in reality) in a linear fashion without much fuss.

I was initially thinking of OneNote, but the interface is a bit clunky and if I wanted to 'rearrange' the order of my pages, it's a PITA. So I'm picturing an app that is very loose with the structure of the pages and can reorder them in almost an infinite flow on the X axis, but also serve to organize them as they get more numerous. Perhaps into binders?

Sorry if that sounds odd, but trying to figure out how I want to organize my materials but also not be too restrictive and put a barrier between myself and the music.

ForScore. It’s industry-standard. You can easily annotate (get the Apple Pencil!), rearranging pages is dead simple, and it has a built-in metronome, tuner, and tons of other features.

I get hired for a lot of musicals and also got a bluetooth page turner (AirTurn makes great ones, but I’ve never heard anything bad about any of the other companies), which might also be useful for you down the line when you’re reading longer things like songs/classical pieces

feel free to PM me if you have any specific music/iPad questions!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Jazz Marimba posted:

ForScore. It’s industry-standard. You can easily annotate (get the Apple Pencil!), rearranging pages is dead simple, and it has a built-in metronome, tuner, and tons of other features.

I get hired for a lot of musicals and also got a bluetooth page turner (AirTurn makes great ones, but I’ve never heard anything bad about any of the other companies), which might also be useful for you down the line when you’re reading longer things like songs/classical pieces

feel free to PM me if you have any specific music/iPad questions!

Ooh will check it out. I have a pencil already so got that covered. It'll import PDF?

In general, I'd love to hear how you use your iPad for music. My current system is a Manila folder I carry around in my case between lessons and home. I throw an AirPod in for my metronome (still working out rhythm) and follow the plan.

Thanks!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
ooh ipad music chat, I have a question:

What would be the best method to interface to an electric piano that had a usb B port out and a bass guitar (not simultaneously)? For piano I was thinking the photo interface (this is a lightning port ipad) and bass either a 1/4 to 1/8” adapter or some kind of apogee jam type thing.

Also any recommendations for play along learning apps for either piano or bass or both? I want to refresh my playing skills as I haven’t really played either for about 20 years.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

priznat posted:

ooh ipad music chat, I have a question:

What would be the best method to interface to an electric piano that had a usb B port out and a bass guitar (not simultaneously)? For piano I was thinking the photo interface (this is a lightning port ipad) and bass either a 1/4 to 1/8” adapter or some kind of apogee jam type thing.

Also any recommendations for play along learning apps for either piano or bass or both? I want to refresh my playing skills as I haven’t really played either for about 20 years.

Get a USB adaptor.

You should be able to plug the keyboard in directly, but will likely need to supply external power (not sure if Lightning can supply power over the USB interface).

For my guitars I use the Focusrite Scarlett Solo.

I have a 12.9 Pro, so I actually use a USB C hub so I can plug in my LaunchKey keyboard, Focusrite and Korg Nanokey studio all at the same time. I'm not sure about the Lightning USB adaptor, but I have very low (really unnoticeable) latency on audio with my setup. One note (and I'm not sure if this holds true on Lightning iPads), if you plug an audio adapter into through the USB C port, Audio OUT goes over that so you need either some small monitors or headphones.

re Lessons: I haven't used them, but Garage Band has Piano and Guitar lessons you can download for free. I'm not sure about bass, but you can easily check that out in GB.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

For lightning ported stuff, you can get adapters with a usb-a port and a 3.5mm audio output on Amazon. That's what I use with my keyboard.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

TraderStav posted:

Ooh will check it out. I have a pencil already so got that covered. It'll import PDF?

In general, I'd love to hear how you use your iPad for music. My current system is a Manila folder I carry around in my case between lessons and home. I throw an AirPod in for my metronome (still working out rhythm) and follow the plan.

Thanks!

Yup, importing is a breeze too. If someone has a pdf already they can airdrop it to you and you can select forscore and it’ll import in literally a second (unless it’s 400 pages at 1200dpi). The only downside is it doesn’t automatically fill out the metadata fields, so you have to keep up on that manually every time you import something

Honestly a lot of the stuff I work on now is harder/more variations of stuff out the books I’ve been using forever, so I use those at home a lot. I did pick up PDF versions of some of them, but I found that for me, not having a physical object open to a specific page makes it harder for me to both remember what I was practicing, and it makes less likely to want to practice, so I mostly stick to physicals

I use my iPad for musicals because page turns are obnoxious while playing a rhythm section instrument (especially drums, because you’re playing 99% of the time), as well as very lightly in rehearsals—the jazz trio I play with regularly does everything from memory, but we’ll do several versions of arrangements before settling on the specifics, so annotating comes in handy for writing down any changes

In the past I’ve run a metronome off it for shows (the one in forscore), but I’m moving away from that since I got a sample pad. I still use it for practicing though (a separate metronome I like better), and I use Spotify for playing along to tunes

I know people who use it as a teaching aid, but I haven’t done much with it in that regard. It’d definitely come in handy with older instruments with a lot of sheet music online (esp. piano/classical instruments where a lot of it’s free/there’re subscription services like Spotify for), but that’s a little harder for drums since the instrument is younger than the copyright expiration for all written music for it :sigh:

I also do freelance music editing (music engraving), and exporting a pdf to my iPad lets me look at the music as a performer and catch more mistakes that I missed just looking at it on a computer, which I can then mark and fix, all without wasting any paper or ink

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Hi how do I switch between windows in Safari on a 3rd gen iPad Pro?

Also how do I bring up the Recently Used apps screen?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Speaking of recently uses apps, i accidentally clicked the minus on one recently and now it never shows up anymore. I can’t find any option to re-allow it either, googling only brings up how to remove the recently used apps part of the dock. I didn’t realize how much i used that until it was gone for one app.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I. M. Gei posted:

Hi how do I switch between windows in Safari on a 3rd gen iPad Pro?

Also how do I bring up the Recently Used apps screen?

Like, between tabs? And with the keyboard, I presume? Ctrl-Tab.

Recently used apps, just swipe up from the bottom of the screen.

If you mash the Cmd button for a while it'll pop up a screen that shows all the common keyboard shortcuts you can use.

e: Oh unless you mean you're using the side-by-side Safari thing in Windows in which case I'd like to know too since I can't figure it out and a good part of why I actively avoid using side by side windows.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Feb 14, 2020

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I'm looking to get an iPad. I have $400 in Rakuten credit and so I need to grab it there. What's the best iPad for around that? Uses would be sketching/light art, synth apps and it connects to my guitar pedal system for tweaking.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

BonoMan posted:

I'm looking to get an iPad. I have $400 in Rakuten credit and so I need to grab it there. What's the best iPad for around that? Uses would be sketching/light art, synth apps and it connects to my guitar pedal system for tweaking.

You should be able to get a 2019 base-model ipad and a pencil for about that much. If you go up the current-gen ipad air (or mini) you'd probably go over budget but get a nicer screen and newer CPU. IMO you should try to check them out at a store with display models and see if you think the upgrade is worth it

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Clark Nova posted:

You should be able to get a 2019 base-model ipad and a pencil for about that much. If you go up the current-gen ipad air (or mini) you'd probably go over budget but get a nicer screen and newer CPU. IMO you should try to check them out at a store with display models and see if you think the upgrade is worth it

Thanks! I'm fine paying a little cash for the difference if it's worth it.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I got a 6th gen iPad a year ago and mainly use it for writing math things in Notability. I have the pencil and everything mostly works fine but when I lean my big dumb wrist on it it feels like one out of every 10 penstrokes doesn't go through and I have to re-write the thing. It's pretty annoying but I've just been dealing with it because I assumed that was something everyone had to deal with, although recently I was talking to some people that were saying their's works completely flawlessly.

Anyway I tried to do a bit of Googling and I have no idea where to even start troubleshooting the problem. Could the pencil or iPad be defective? Is it related to the way that I'm leaning on it? Does it have to do with the particular model iPad I'm using? The only thing I can think of is the issue seems worse when I'm writing near the margins, so maybe it's something where the palm detection gets buggy when I'm moving my hand between the bezels and screen; if so, maybe a Pro with the thinner bezels would help? Any help would be appreciated!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Palm detection doesn't get buggy on iPads, especially when coupled with a Pencil. Sometimes it will record an errant stroke, but its usually rock solid. Are there any other apps you can test it with? I'd just download a few free note taking or drawing apps with palm support and see if the problem follows the application.

You've double checked to see if palm detection is enabled right? In Notability that's Settings >>> Handwriting >>> Palm Detection. I think that's enabled by default so it's probably not the issue.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

Palm detection doesn't get buggy on iPads, especially when coupled with a Pencil. Sometimes it will record an errant stroke, but its usually rock solid. Are there any other apps you can test it with? I'd just download a few free note taking or drawing apps with palm support and see if the problem follows the application.

You've double checked to see if palm detection is enabled right? In Notability that's Settings >>> Handwriting >>> Palm Detection. I think that's enabled by default so it's probably not the issue.

Thanks, I'll give some other apps a shot and report back (will take a few days, the dumb thing is at work). I did double check that Palm Detection is on though.

Is it possible the pencil tip is wearing down? I don't know how the pencil behaves when the tip wears down but I do have the vague sense the problem has gotten mildly worse over time. How long do the tips usually last?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

mancalamania posted:

Thanks, I'll give some other apps a shot and report back (will take a few days, the dumb thing is at work). I did double check that Palm Detection is on though.

Is it possible the pencil tip is wearing down? I don't know how the pencil behaves when the tip wears down but I do have the vague sense the problem has gotten mildly worse over time. How long do the tips usually last?

Unless your Pencil is years old, the nub isn't wearing down. I think I finally replaced mine after 2 years and that's because I accidentally damaged it in my bag.

If the problem doesn't follow to another app then you'd want to uninstall and reinstall Notability (I think it backs up to iCloud or Dropbox so those files shouldn't be impacted, but double check). If that's still a problem back up the iPad to iCloud and restore that next. Someone else may have better insight, but it doesn't sound like a hardware issue.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So iMessages stopped forwarding from my iPhone to my iPad Pro for some reason. iPhone shows it as being enabled for forwarding, iPad shows iMessages as being enabled, but ... nothing happenin’

Anyone experience this before? I tried turning iMessages off/on on both the iPhone and iPad, still nada. I’m going to visit fruit stand this week if I can’t figure it out, just frustrating.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
iMessages don't forward. iMessages should push down on any device you're signed into Messages with. Are you referring to SMS (green text bubbles)?

If that's the case, sign out of Messages on the iPad. Also, in the Messages settings on your phone, turn off forwarding to the iPad. Hard reset both devices (optional, but I like to do this). Sign back into Messages on your iPad. On your phone, turn the forwarding back on.

Leempi
Apr 28, 2003

Does anyone play flights sims on the iPad Pro? Is there a USB-C joystick that works with the iPad? (Is this the right thread for this question?)

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
Alright guys, I’m planning to get an iPad mostly for school but also for browsing the web on the couch/playing some games/reading books. I plan to use it to take notes primarily in class though. I’m not exactly sold on the 2019 10.2” iPad using the old chipset (I’ve seen some videos saying that it’s great but I am hesitant), so I was considering the new iPad Air. However, for about $100 more I can get an Apple refurb iPad Pro 2nd gen (12.5”).

What’s the better product here? I kinda dig the much larger screen especially for notes, but I know it’s using the A10X chip instead of the A12. Probably won’t make a huge difference in what I do right? Pro Motion does seem like a big deal though.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
There’s a good chance the Pro, Mini, and Air get a refresh in the next 2 months so I’d wait. Basic iPad just got a chassis upgrade, like you said, so it’s probably not getting any changes except maybe to its price/refurb options.

Unless you’re running resource-intensive apps like lots of VSTs/AUs/instruments or photo/video editing stuff, you probably won’t notice the difference in power. If you plan on making your iPad the hub of your electronic music rig you might—once you’ve got like 7-8 synths and effects going you can see that A10 start to hit ‘70-90%’ and stutter—but for web browsing and MS OneNote the standard iPad is aces.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Feb 20, 2020

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Tensokuu posted:

Alright guys, I’m planning to get an iPad mostly for school but also for browsing the web on the couch/playing some games/reading books. I plan to use it to take notes primarily in class though. I’m not exactly sold on the 2019 10.2” iPad using the old chipset (I’ve seen some videos saying that it’s great but I am hesitant), so I was considering the new iPad Air. However, for about $100 more I can get an Apple refurb iPad Pro 2nd gen (12.5”).

What’s the better product here? I kinda dig the much larger screen especially for notes, but I know it’s using the A10X chip instead of the A12. Probably won’t make a huge difference in what I do right? Pro Motion does seem like a big deal though.

I got a 10.5" Pro over the Air because it was $50 cheaper and was the 256GB version and the Air was just the basic 64.

Seems plenty fast enough for everything I've used it for and I can't imagine needing more performance. I thought the 120hz screen would be a big deal but TBH I can barely see any difference compared to 60hz (maybe my eyes are broken because I also fail to see the improvement on >60hz screens on PCs either)

One thing to note is battery life doesn't seem great (as is typical for previous gen Apple products)

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I’ve been waiting six months for a new pro. Day one purchase for me for sure.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Ultimate Mango posted:

I’ve been waiting six months for a new pro. Day one purchase for me for sure.

I want it to be but I also want to hold out for a better screen tech. Oled is unlikely given the size and micro led is a while off but mini led? Maybe? Please? Next year?

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

mediaphage posted:

I want it to be but I also want to hold out for a better screen tech. Oled is unlikely given the size and micro led is a while off but mini led? Maybe? Please? Next year?

If indeed it's just a processor bump along with AR inspired 3D cameras I'm still good holding onto my 3rd gen for my every other update schedule. Seems like a waste to do it this spring though since if you wait 6 months you can drop an A14X along with any other iPhone 12 features in there.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

GoatSeeGuy posted:

If indeed it's just a processor bump along with AR inspired 3D cameras I'm still good holding onto my 3rd gen for my every other update schedule. Seems like a waste to do it this spring though since if you wait 6 months you can drop an A14X along with any other iPhone 12 features in there.

Yeah I’m curious what there’s gonna be. I still have my first gen giant pro and it’s great aside from some damage that in no way impacts my use. I am actually looking forward to have excellent cameras (I hope) on the pro. I use mine (strictly on my property) to grab shots of stuff all the time - things I need to remember, catching the parrot being cute while I’m using the iPad, etc.

I’ve no doubt that they’re adding this stuff mostly for AR functionality but I would totally use nicer cams for capturing video at home (accessory screens are common anyway so size is hardly a complaint) and taking reasonable quality product shots and the like for social media posts. Snap, edit, go.

I realize many could use an iPhone for this but a) iPad much nicer for editing and b) you can pry my se out of my cold, dead hands

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m waiting to see what refresh brings before I decide whether I want to buy my work iPad 3gen 10” which I love and use on a daily basis.

It’s got some scuffs from where I dropped it and the keyboard cover didn’t protect the metal sides but literally nothing usability related. I might even enjoy having an iPad I don’t need to worry about keeping pristine :3:

But I’ll definitely wait until refresh since it’s a 256GB LTE model and I’m hoping that the resale/trade in price takes a bit of a dive since that’s what the company takes into account when determining how much they’ll want for it.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

mediaphage posted:

You might be lucky, but my guess is it’s the next iPad Pro and not this one but who knows. https://9to5mac.com/2020/02/24/mini-led-ipad/

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

From the WTF department:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/02/24/coronavirus-prompts-rise-in-ipad-sales-for-remote-work-and-education

Coronavirus actually boosting iPad sales for more folks who want to work remotely

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Binary Badger posted:

From the WTF department:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/02/24/coronavirus-prompts-rise-in-ipad-sales-for-remote-work-and-education

Coronavirus actually boosting iPad sales for more folks who want to work remotely
Steam is experiencing record user activity from everyone staying home and playing games in China too.

(There's a joke to be made about the efficiency of telecommuting here.)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Coronavirus boosts iPad sales.

Coronavirus interrupts iPad production so Apple has no iPads to sell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Coronavirus boosts iPad sales.

Coronavirus interrupts iPad production so Apple has no iPads to sell.

Suddenly my old Air 2 appreciates in value!