Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Giggs posted:

Why would that make you a fool? Has anyone said or even implied that you or anyone else would be a fool for enjoying it?

I think he's a fool for making judgments about people that aren't entirely sold by the latest iteration of Star Trek, but not because he enjoys it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

OH yeah you got a super open mind about it.

Tighclops posted:

I don't expect Picard will be much better but unless everybody involved is completely and utterly bad (or else being overruled by somebody truly awful much higher up at CBS) I can't imagine it will be as disagreeable as STD was at it's worst. I mean, what little I've read doesn't inspire much confidence in much the same way what I've read about the recent Star Wars movies didn't, but there's no way they could ignore all the people out there who were fed up with the reheated BSG edgelord stuff. Even STD's second season was trying to back away from that but now apparently the Federation's turned evil in the future so who the gently caress knows anymore.

Star Trek was always my first love, but now finally I find it difficult to get excited for more despite P-Stew's involvement. Years and years of increasingly banal, gutless and surprisingly off-brand takes on the material combined with the loudest fan voices outside of these sheltered forums being at least Nazi-adjacent have worn my interest to a nub

Just ready to give this one a fair shot

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Brawnfire posted:

ST:P S02E01 "Picard Dies"

We open on a sun-lit bed. Picard lies upon it, staring in wonder at something. Then he dies. He doesn't say anything. He is dead now.

What did he see? I don't know. What do you think he see'ed? Saw, sorry. What do you think he saw before he died? I'm not writing it, that's for the viewer

ST:P S02E10 “Picard Dies” (every episode is named this)

The finale reveals Picard had suddenly noticed Riker doing jumping jacks outside his window. At the moment of Picards death, Thomas Riker phases into reality next to Will, also doing jumping jacks. The music swells in this poignant representation of life and death.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FADE OUT on PICARD lying in a COFFIN

RIKER: Computer, end program.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

zoux posted:

That's true, I guess the foolish thing would be continuing to watch a show I hate so I could bag on it on the internet.

You are super mad that some people don't like the bad show.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

OH yeah you got a super open mind about it.

Just ready to give this one a fair shot

oh no! I thought it would be disappointing but not as much as the previous thing and that's what's happened so far, how grossly unreasonable of me

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Peachfart posted:

Yeah I'm furious lol

Tighclops posted:

oh no! I thought it would be disappointing but not as much as the previous thing and that's what's happened so far, how grossly unreasonable of me

It's crazy how your preconceived notions were exactly right, again!

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
If Picard dies, they're just going to have to call it "Star Trek:"

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

zoux posted:

Yeah I'm furious lol

Yeah, seems like it. I suggest a nice walk or a nap.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Peachfart posted:

I think he's a little peeved that people drop in to say stupid poo poo like 'lol this is a bad show', like, say, you, but to defend Tighclops a bit, he has at least tried to express his concerns as constructive criticisms and/or explaining his distaste for what appears, which is at least reasonable discourse. I agree with zoux's annoyance at drive-by threadshitters who leave the conversational equivalent of a steaming pile of poo poo on the sidewalk and seem to walk away satisfied with their accomplishment.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Peachfart posted:

Yeah, seems like it. I suggest a nice walk or a nap.

I'll do that in the 48 minutes I'm not watching a show I hate, teeth gritted at the slap in the face I've been given by the bad writers who don't care.

ashpanash posted:

I think he's a little peeved that people drop in to say stupid poo poo like 'lol this is a bad show', like, say, you, but to defend Tighclops a bit, he has at least tried to express his concerns as constructive criticisms and/or explaining his distaste for what appears, which is at least reasonable discourse. I agree with zoux's annoyance at drive-by threadshitters who leave the conversational equivalent of a steaming pile of poo poo on the sidewalk and seem to walk away satisfied with their accomplishment.

I'm zero mad or peeved I'm merely fighting against yet another genre thread getting taken over by hatewatchers like every single sci-fi show thread ever leaving people who like the (well reviewed by the way) show with no where to post.

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 24, 2020

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Giggs posted:

Why would that make you a fool? Has anyone said or even implied that you or anyone else would be a fool for enjoying it?

Well... I don't recall anyone outright saying "you have poo poo taste for liking this" but some of the spicier takes certainly imply it.

That said, right off the bat, criticism of the show was met with a lot of explicitly personal attacks from some posters.

So in conclusion, and in the spirit of solidarity, I would now like to invite you all to kiss my rear end, losers.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Nullsmack posted:

Star Trek: The Search For Picard

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Nullsmack posted:

Star Trek: Seven
a confusing name but probably a better show.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Lol you don't get a hug box for a show you like man come on

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

When are you going to stop watchign this show you clearly despise

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Nullsmack posted:

STAR TREK: A Good Day to Die Picard.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

this slapfight loving sucks

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

ST:P S04E1-2 "Picard Dies (Pts.1&2)"

Riker laughs while he's filling out a sprawling, fancy Vulcan puzzle. Deanna stands nearby at the kitchen sink, repeatedly banging a pot around in simulation of housework. "What is it, Imzadi?" she says with barely-restrained hate. "I just never noticed it before; July August September October November." he replies, laughing even harder now. "JASON. Leave it to the Vulcans to notice that. Hoo, drat." There are actual no-poo poo tears in his eyes.

Picard lies dead on the front lawn outside the door. Nobody notices or, if they do, nobody cares.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

ST:P S04E02 "Picard Dies"

Zani, leader of the Qowat Milat, goes to check on Elnor. He is watching an endless compilation of video footage of soap being cut. His hand is wrapped tightly around his blade, thick green blood trickling. Zani closes the door and backs away. It's getting worse.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Have you gotten into that procedural text generator again?

I'll never forget when that was first used in the old Discovery thread and for a couple pages everyone thought the poster was having a total mental collapse.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

this slapfight loving sucks

I miss the old utopian Star Trek threads where everyone got along!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Picard, to doctor who knows that Picard is dying: "I'm dying. My life is fading from my body. I shall die soon."
Doctor, who knows that Picard is dying: "I know that you are dying."

*cut to 14 years ago*

Picard: "I bet I will die in 14 years."

*cut back to present*

Picard: "I can't believe I predicted this, 14 years ago. That I'm dying, I mean."

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Of all threads about Picard, this one honestly seems the least vitriolic about the show. The two or three ones in GBS are much more extreme in how against the show posters are.

I have always gotten the feeling that posters in here who have negative things about the show at least have an open mind about it, including Mr Tighclops. Going back to the posts from when this latest episode aired, it seems like a major sentiment was that people were starting to turn against the show after the episode.

This may be the most positive thread I have seen about the show outside of the subreddit (and those people.....I don't trust those people), not to say everyone here is positive about the show, but it overall seems less negatively charged about thr show than elsewhere.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I miss the old utopian Star Trek threads where everyone got along!

Ah, that's what post scarcity means

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

You see that constellation in the sky? That's Picard

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Brawnfire posted:

You see that constellation in the sky? That's Picard

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

piratepilates posted:

Of all threads about Picard, this one honestly seems the least vitriolic about the show. The two or three ones in GBS are much more extreme in how against the show posters are.

I have always gotten the feeling that posters in here who have negative things about the show at least have an open mind about it, including Mr Tighclops. Going back to the posts from when this latest episode aired, it seems like a major sentiment was that people were starting to turn against the show after the episode.

This may be the most positive thread I have seen about the show outside of the subreddit (and those people.....I don't trust those people), not to say everyone here is positive about the show, but it overall seems less negatively charged about thr show than elsewhere.

There are three Picard threads in GBS????

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

zoux posted:

Pick a Picard, any Picard

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

zoux posted:

Well there's the star trek one, the Picard one, maybe another Picard one, the RLM one that is currently devoted to not liking Picard (before that it was devoted to not liking star wars), maybe more I haven't seen? There's also a few star trek threads in that temporary star wars forum.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

When are you going to stop watchign this show you clearly despise

I don't despise it though, I actively liked some of the characters they brought in (even the cliche space crew lol) and hope they'll turn up again just like I hope the last half of the season goes somewhere positive and compelling in the end. If it turns out to amount to overheated poo poo, (which I was honest about and hardly alone in expecting from the start, and only became more convinced would happen after this most recent episode) then I'll ditch it next season just like I did the last show they made when it turned out to be crappy- but not before I post about what I felt went wrong! And then you'll never get to enjoy your Trek through the Stars in peace! Mwahahahha ahahah a aaaaa

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

what has happened to this thread oh my goodness

sorry I was busy and couldn't post

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
SA is probably the second most popular Trek board after TrekBBS at this point honestly

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Why would you want to read more than one Star Trek thread?!

I'm not going to say that makes you a crazy person, but I'm certainly going to imply it.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
oh also the Picard show's existence is entirely justified by my amazing av so like no matter what nobody can take that away from us

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

piratepilates posted:

There's also a few star trek threads in that temporary star wars forum.

There's a star wars forum??

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

HD DAD posted:

SA is probably the second most popular Trek board after TrekBBS at this point honestly

They seem to like it

marktheando posted:

There's a star wars forum??

Yes there's currently a 200 page prequel thread posted by a loving idiot

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

zoux posted:

They seem to like it

There’s also a thread where you act like you’re in the Mos Eisley cantina and you get probated if you post a picture of or talk about droids, so you take the good with the bad.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

zoux posted:

They seem to like it

I somewhat shamefully admit I’m a poster over on TrekBBS as well, and it’s interesting how different the demographics are between there and SA, and how they’re responding to Picard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

The prequel thread is the next step of evolution of the long running cinema discusso star wars thread and quite frankly it is a thing of beauty. Don't get involved, don't get upset, don't pick a side, just take a look and get ready for a beautiful journey of people endlessly attempting to convince the other side with the conviction of a devotee that no ACTUALLY the prequels are good/bad, and you are the one that is wrong.