Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Oxyclean posted:

I've got an iphone 8 and over the last few months it feels like the battery life / measuring has taking a nosedive. I think I've had it just around 2 years at this point.

Just over the course of an hour long commute listening to music & browsing the internet the battery can drop 30-50% but somewhat fortunately the battery seems to survive at low percentage for quite awhile. Like it was at 1% for an hour. (At the end of it's "life" my 5s would die suddenly around 10-20% battery) Is there much I can do short of bringing it for service / replacing it?

No, that's about when iPhone batteries start to crater. Battery replacements are a lot cheaper than a new phone and an iPhone 8 should be good for a while yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

You can get a battery through a third party for pretty cheap ($60ish I think) that will probably make it feel like new. Especially if you want to wait for 2020 models which have all sorts of crazy rumors from the SE2 coming next month to the flagship being a new form factor and having 5G. If the coronavirus doesn't get them all first.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
What's your battery health? 80% means the phone is stuffed and needs a replacement battery.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

dissss posted:

What's your battery health? 80% means the phone is stuffed and needs a replacement battery.
Maximum capacity is reporting 50% (which is much lower then I remember it being a week ago...) Welp.

Weedle posted:

No, that's about when iPhone batteries start to crater. Battery replacements are a lot cheaper than a new phone and an iPhone 8 should be good for a while yet.
That's good to know that a battery replacement isn't a bad route to go.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

The Dave posted:

You can get a battery through a third party for pretty cheap ($60ish I think) that will probably make it feel like new. Especially if you want to wait for 2020 models which have all sorts of crazy rumors from the SE2 coming next month to the flagship being a new form factor and having 5G. If the coronavirus doesn't get them all first.

Official out-of-warranty price is only $49 at the Apple store.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

Official out-of-warranty price is only $49 at the Apple store.

Yeah just take it to the Apple store.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Oh wow yeah can’t pass that.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
My iPhone 8 is 2 years old and I'm still at 93%. How the hell do you get down to 50%?

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Is there anything you can do to intentionally lower battery capacity? I have a friend who has 82% and his AppleCare runs out next month so he wants to try to get it to 80 if possible. I guess just run some intensive game nonstop on it?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Original_Z posted:

Is there anything you can do to intentionally lower battery capacity? I have a friend who has 82% and his AppleCare runs out next month so he wants to try to get it to 80 if possible. I guess just run some intensive game nonstop on it?

Flashlight and YouTube running at full brightness until it dies dead. Recharge to 100, repeat.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Ha this is just like people on Nissan Leaf message boards asking how to drop their battery down to 8 bars before the warranty runs out. Except here the replacement costs $50 rather than thousands.

On my phone I think most of the losses happened while using CarPlay for extended periods - that has the battery at a high state of charge with some moderately heavy activity going on the whole time (certainly made the phone toasty warm and heat is what kills batteries)

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
:aaaaa: oh holy poo poo why did I never know about this?!

If you’re scrolling through a super long page, you can 3D Touch / long press on the scroll bar that appears to drag up and down way quicker like a traditional scroll bar on a desktop!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That one is new to me too. Neat.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That's new with iOS13, so it's not like it's an old thing.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I guess add that to the long list of great UX additions that are both unintuitive and undocumented, so the only way to find them is word-of-mouth.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Every place (even Apple themselves) says it’s new and I can’t find a single thing to the contrary, but I swear I have used that same feature before on past versions of iOS.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

LODGE NORTH posted:

Every place (even Apple themselves) says it’s new and I can’t find a single thing to the contrary, but I swear I have used that same feature before on past versions of iOS.

The alphabet scroller works similarly and has been around since the beginning. Some third-party apps have offered this scrolling behavior independently as well.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Inner Light posted:

I guess add that to the long list of great UX additions that are both unintuitive and undocumented, so the only way to find them is word-of-mouth.

It's probably listed on one of Apple's iOS 13 technical support documents somewhere, but who actually reads that crap?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Apple does this on purpose just so we can get excited. Somewhere there's a simple gesture control that let's us set Waze as our default map app, but no one's figured it out yet.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I've made a mess of it - by turning on iCloud photos on my iPhone. There really wasn't any reason for it, since I already back up my photos with Dropbox.

However, now I can't really seem to turn it off without making a bigger mess. If I try to turn off iCloud on my iphone, I can't choose Download Photos & Videos because there's not enough storage on my phone.

So how can I turn off iCloud without also deleting everything on my phone? I believe I've turned it off on all other devices.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
So I've been encountering a rather annoying issue the past few months with iMessage. When my wife (iPhone X, Verizon) sends me (SE, AT&T) a video, it randomly, but increasingly more often, comes through very compressed and blurry. Sometimes simply sending it again fixes it and it comes through the normal quality. Neither of us have low image quality mode enabled in settings. Usually this happens when she is on our home Wifi and I am on AT&T's LTE with strong service (~4 bars, 20+Mbit). I am on an unlimited elite data plan that is not being throttled. I don't think she's on an unlimited data plan with Verizon, but she has ample data available and again, this mostly happens when she's on Wifi. I've done some light googling to no avail. Any ideas? TIA

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

And it's definitely coming in as an iMessage and not a green bubbled MMS?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I get that in our group texts from work, which are non iMessage groups (due to a few android users). They're unwatchable.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

The Dave posted:

And it's definitely coming in as an iMessage and not a green bubbled MMS?

Yes, correct.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

I also get this when my fiancée sends me videos from her Android phone.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

It's normal for this to happen from Andriod -> iOS but this is happening iOS -> iOS blue iMessage.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
had a rental car last week which gave me a chance to play with CarPlay for the first time. figured I'd share my impressions as someone who's been on the fence about upgrading my head unit for a while:

+ looks fantastic, obviously
+ listening and replying to text messages worked out better than expected
+ split view with Maps & recent audio app is very slick
+ navigation announcments still play over audio from the non-CarPlay radio
+ I assumed it would lock out my phone while in use, but I could still use it normally... it bahaves similar to AirPlay in practice, so I guess the naming scheme makes sense

- split view only works with default Maps, unless I missed something
- Waze is great but there's some definite 3rd-party jank. Found myself having to restart CarPlay or force-close from the phone itself several times during the trip
- Easy to get redundant or unwanted announcments if you open a 3rd party nav app at any point during the trip; since you can't close anything directly
- no direct control of radio, though I understand some car manufacturers support it via their own apps
- poor optimization of screen real estate if your car already has hardware playback buttons

Overall I gotta say I'm happier with my own combo of a phone in ProClip mount (for navigation) and my car's old stock screen (for music playback). But whenver I get a new car I'm sure I'll use CarPlay and like it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Supposedly the current beta has split screen added for 3rd-party maps.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Minidust posted:

+ I assumed it would lock out my phone while in use, but I could still use it normally... it bahaves similar to AirPlay in practice, so I guess the naming scheme makes sense

It did this before iOS 13, and it was the worst. Best change by far.

azzenco
Jan 16, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Anyone else's gboard start to poo poo the bed the last couple of days? When selecting it, mine just apears for a second and then goes away like my SE2-iPhone4-form-factor dreams. Rebooting doesn't solve it so I guess a reinstall is in order.

e: reinstall fixed it.

azzenco fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 26, 2020

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Question Mark Mound posted:

:aaaaa: oh holy poo poo why did I never know about this?!

If you’re scrolling through a super long page, you can 3D Touch / long press on the scroll bar that appears to drag up and down way quicker like a traditional scroll bar on a desktop!

If you press one of the hardware volume buttons you can also ‘grab’ the little bar that appears next to the buttons, and manually slide the volume to the level of your choice - like in the control centre.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Just a heads up the Apple 7/8 iPhone battery cases are on sale on amazon right now for $60.... I assume they will fit the new rumored 9 too.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Neurophonic posted:

If you press one of the hardware volume buttons you can also ‘grab’ the little bar that appears next to the buttons, and manually slide the volume to the level of your choice - like in the control centre.

That is so incredibly pointless, I just tried it and it made me laugh that it's a thing.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I’m near certain my AirPods (first gen) are quieter than they used to be. Are they just filled up with earwax or is there something I can do software-wise to sort them out?

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

I’m near certain my AirPods (first gen) are quieter than they used to be. Are they just filled up with earwax or is there something I can do software-wise to sort them out?

I noticed this as well, much quieter on the right side than the left side. I gave them a good cleaning, but it still seemed off. Forgot the device and then re-paired, still nothing. Eventually I just went into settings and re-balanced the audio towards the right to compensate.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Sock The Great posted:

I noticed this as well, much quieter on the right side than the left side. I gave them a good cleaning, but it still seemed off. Forgot the device and then re-paired, still nothing. Eventually I just went into settings and re-balanced the audio towards the right to compensate.
Suck on the right one.

Seriously. Cover all the holes and take a drag.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Is there a way to take Memoji photos or videos that don't require using the Messages app and sending myself the photo/video to then save and forward on to other messaging apps? I feel like there ought to be its own Memoji app for this kind of stuff (if any third-party apps can tap into Memoji, that would be great).

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Is there a way to take Memoji photos or videos that don't require using the Messages app and sending myself the photo/video to then save and forward on to other messaging apps? I feel like there ought to be its own Memoji app for this kind of stuff (if any third-party apps can tap into Memoji, that would be great).

I feel like Memoji APIs are all but inevitable. I’ve submitted a few feature requests over the years like being able to share creations with others.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Feb 28, 2020

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Gay Retard posted:

I feel like Memoji APIs are all but inevitable. I’ve submitted a few feature requests over the year like being able to share creations with others.
Yeah I'd love to be able to send Memojis to my only other friend with an iPhone who is terrible at recreating people with their Memojis and be like "I played too many video games with character creators, this is what you should look like"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Currently annoyed by this:

Seems to happen lately, even on WiFi at 100% battery. Very annoying when I take a picture that I want to see in Photos on my Mac, which is what used to happen with impressive immediacy.

Any ideas? All the options for battery savings and cell data savings are off, as far as I can tell.