Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Mummy Napkin posted:

I haven't played a pokemans since Black and the quality of life stuff is real nice. Some of the dynamax and wild area junk was a bit confusing at first. I chose Shield because I assumed most people got Sword for easy trading.

If you do any breeding you use mystery trade and get other people's random pokemon they are mystery trading. This tends to be other people breeding so you get all kinds of pokemon with good stats, it's a great way to complete your pokedex and get a good base line of near perfect pokemon to work your way towards your own perfect of that species.

Or you can just catch random garbage and trade it to the breeders, honestly most people breeding don't care what they get, they want the additional player IDs in their box for extra daily lotto tickets for more masterballs for rare raids with good hidden abilities.

sig by owlhawk911

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe

pokemon snap was the best one, why are they not remaking it for vr

Mummy Napkin
A new Pokemon snap on mobile or back in the day on the threeds would be straight up ballin

tradjik

is wilcen any good they wouldn't let me refund it

ty heather papps u da bes

Bobby Deluxe

Mummy Napkin posted:

A new Pokemon snap on mobile or back in the day on the threeds would be straight up ballin
pokemon go has probably most of the code to make this happen and yet they refuse, the cowards

wearing a lampshade

i overplayed shield and need to take a break from it. might get back into it.

pixaal

albany academy posted:

i overplayed shield and need to take a break from it. might get back into it.

I was going to say you could just buy Sword 2 when it comes out later this year but when I went to confirm the release date it looks like they announced 2 expansions coming this year for the base game and wont be doing the "3rd game" thing this go around.

So wait for June for the expansion and check out the new content when you get back into it! Apparently it's $30 to pre-order both, at work no switch on me can't confirm DLC pricing. (As you can probably tell I haven't turned my Switch on since New Years, been playing PC games, but going to pivot back to Switch for some animal crossing when that drops).

pixaal fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 19, 2020

sig by owlhawk911

wearing a lampshade

pixaal posted:

I was going to say you could just buy Sword 2 when it comes out later this year but when I went to confirm the release date it looks like they announced 2 expansions coming this year for the base game and wont be doing the "3rd game" thing this go around.

So wait for June for the expansion and check out the new content when you get back into it! Apparently it's $30 to pre-order both, at work no switch on me can't confirm DLC pricing.

oh woah i didn't know that. i actually like the idea of expansions better than version 2s or third games. i mean the third games are fun but they almost always feel like just the regular game with more postgame content.

Bobby Deluxe

i think its a better idea for sword and shield because they might be able to eventually fix the limited dex (i am british so refuse to say the portmanteau) with enough dlc

pixaal

It sounds like gyms and new pokemon will be in each expansion so I would expect a lot more pokemon making their way over from previous generations along with new transformations and probably a balance pass on competitive.

I could see them going with short 4-6 Gym leagues with the expansions or full blown 8 gym fights. They included 16 Gyms and 2 elite 2 gauntlets in Gold / Silver, no reason they couldn't do 3 in Sword Shield. I was very disappointed in the Gym Leader Rematch in Sword / Shield they put a good bit of effort into the mini game for the first gym fight or two then kind of gave up it just felt like they ran out of dev time. The ending just felt so SO rushed. I really hope the expansions make for a more memorable ending, and also better end game, which would explain the pretty lackluster endgame in the base game, it's all planned for the Expansions (which are hopefully endgame focused)

sig by owlhawk911

Mummy Napkin
Do they still do the cryptic rear end EV/IV stuff still? I'm not into the competitive side of pokes, but would be cool to maybe mess around with it if there was at least some sort of frontend way to see where you're at.

wearing a lampshade

Mummy Napkin posted:

Do they still do the cryptic rear end EV/IV stuff still? I'm not into the competitive side of pokes, but would be cool to maybe mess around with it if there was at least some sort of frontend way to see where you're at.

It's not as cryptic anymore. They have *some* UI around ev training.

wearing a lampshade

I can't remember what it is exactly but it's on your pokemon stats screen and you press a button and their stats are overlayed with ev growth I think

Bonaventure

by sebmojo
just finished Death Stranding the masterpiece strand-type video game by Hideo Kojima

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

pixaal

If you aren't playing competively, you don't care about EVs IVs they don't matter at all for PvE.

albany academy posted:

I can't remember what it is exactly but it's on your pokemon stats screen and you press a button and their stats are overlayed with ev growth I think

There's a graph for the EVs, and the IVs you can see after you beat the elite 4 they break down into categories but perfect has it's own category of BEST.

It's super easy to get into competitive play, I just spent an hour or so forcing dittos with auras (guaranteed best in a few stats) to spawn in raids then after getting whatever pokemon I wanted and breeding it for an hour or so with the ditto until I had one with perfect stats. You only pick 3 from your 6 in a competitive battle so 4 hours to have a real team, and 7 hours to have a full team with options.

It's really really easy to pivot with a good ditto, get a few I have 2-3 with different best stat spreads that are really useful for breeding. Sometimes a hidden ability will require you to hunt for a pokemon in raids to get the rare ability these kind of suck and I've had better luck just using mystery trade and lucking into it. Just breed the rest of your team first and you'll probably get some interesting other options (and they'll have good stats). My dragapult took only a 10 minutes or so since I got one with near perfect stats from a mystery trade.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 20, 2020

sig by owlhawk911

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Bonaventure posted:

just finished Death Stranding the masterpiece strand-type video game by Hideo Kojima

How many of the 151 strands did you get?

vanisher

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

i can't wait for animal crossing ! :)

I hope anyone hyped for AC watches the new Nintendo direct to further hype themselves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp5V1zOknQ8

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

How friendly will Animal Crossing be if me and my wife both want to play it? I think I heard that you can only have a single island per game so we could each have our own character but we'd be sharing an island. That could be ok but it's not quite the same as having our own sets of fruits/villagers/etc

pixaal

Jolo posted:

How friendly will Animal Crossing be if me and my wife both want to play it? I think I heard that you can only have a single island per game so we could each have our own character but we'd be sharing an island. That could be ok but it's not quite the same as having our own sets of fruits/villagers/etc

That's how it has been on previous systems but that's because it saved right to the cartridge. The Switch uses profiles and even Pokemon lets you have 1 save per profile if Nintendo was going to pull that I'd think it would be with pokemon and not animal crossing.

Though I could see an argument for wanting to play on your own profile and have your own character but a "family" town with the parents and kids all together instead of separate and no real way to visit since they use the same console.

sig by owlhawk911

Bonaventure

by sebmojo

Jolo posted:

How many of the 151 strands did you get?

less than you'd hope

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Heather Papps

hello friend

a never realized dream of mine was having a household where everyone plays the gamecube version, but i'm past the point of having 3 roommates, and don't have a family to impose my iron will in terms of gaming upon. i really like the communal town where everyone works together, but i also really liked being the mayor in new leaf so i do not know what the solution is.

legit tho' a version where the parent is the mayor and can dole out rewards in game to their children for real life chores is kind of a good idea?

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

pixaal

Heather Papps posted:

a never realized dream of mine was having a household where everyone plays the gamecube version, but i'm past the point of having 3 roommates, and don't have a family to impose my iron will in terms of gaming upon. i really like the communal town where everyone works together, but i also really liked being the mayor in new leaf so i do not know what the solution is.

legit tho' a version where the parent is the mayor and can dole out rewards in game to their children for real life chores is kind of a good idea?

Real solution: Player character is determined by profile, and some kind of shared state for towns where any profile can play any town, maybe limit 1 town per profile but it's a game does it really matter? Worst case kids abuse it to self trade, whatever. Not like it's ever been difficult to cheat at AC by messing with the system clock. I've never done that as I know it would instantly suck all the fun right out for me.

sig by owlhawk911

vanisher

Communist island where the workers control

Looks like you could add rivers to seperate the island into sections where different family members could have control.

Heather Papps

hello friend

confession, a shameful one: i messed around with the ac clock a few times because sometimes i want to see the new years fireworks but i'm kissing and drinking when the game stuff is happening.

pixaal

I never learn anything about a new animal crossing game before I buy it, same with pokemon games. I just buy it open palm slam it into the console and see what new features await me. It's actually kind of nice to go in blind. I do the same with a lot of Nintendo's major series (well the ones I enjoy) look I liked the first 7 installments of the game and they are all pretty much the same with a few twists, I like being surprised over cool new features.

Breath of the Wild was really something to go into blind, I was not expecting open world and immediately fell in love.

sig by owlhawk911

beer pal

i finished outer wilds, which was very good but i think i spoiled by experience a bit going to walktrhoughs but then some of the things you had to do felt a bit obtuse to me but maybe im just bad. anyway very cool game i appreciate it very much.

now im just started last night playing nier automatamatama and i just did the first uh episode and it was very fun and stylish i didnt know there were gonna be shmup sections

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

Yinlock

pixaal posted:

If you aren't playing competively, you don't care about EVs IVs they don't matter at all for PvE.

There's a graph for the EVs, and the IVs you can see after you beat the elite 4 they break down into categories but perfect has it's own category of BEST.

It's super easy to get into competitive play, I just spent an hour or so forcing dittos with auras (guaranteed best in a few stats) to spawn in raids then after getting whatever pokemon I wanted and breeding it for an hour or so with the ditto until I had one with perfect stats. You only pick 3 from your 6 in a competitive battle so 4 hours to have a real team, and 7 hours to have a full team with options.

It's really really easy to pivot with a good ditto, get a few I have 2-3 with different best stat spreads that are really useful for breeding. Sometimes a hidden ability will require you to hunt for a pokemon in raids to get the rare ability these kind of suck and I've had better luck just using mystery trade and lucking into it. Just breed the rest of your team first and you'll probably get some interesting other options (and they'll have good stats). My dragapult took only a 10 minutes or so since I got one with near perfect stats from a mystery trade.

another way to get perfect IVs is post-game when a pokemon hits 100(this is really easy to do in sword/shield) you can exchange bottlecaps for having an iv boosted to max. there's also mints that can change their natures(they'll still have their original nature but will have the stats of whatever nature mint you used)

it can't be carried down via breeding but it's still a nice way to get more out of your favorite pokemon. sword/shield postgame is generally insanely friendly to competitive players

e: personally i'm a filthy casual so i just take the first decent-iv non-lovely nature pokemon i get and roll with them, though i'll sometimes breed a 4 or 5iv pokemon if i lucked into something ridiculous

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 25, 2020

Rockman Reserve

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i think i'm going to use dreams to make a level/game/scene/something out of a terrible comic strip i drew when i was 12 years old that had a super simple character

it is so so so so so so cool and it is distracting me from actual adult work stuff in a way that a game/software thing hasn't done probably since i became an adult

SeaGoatSupreme
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Yinlock posted:

another way to get perfect IVs is post-game when a pokemon hits 100(this is really easy to do in sword/shield) you can exchange bottlecaps for having an iv boosted to max. there's also mints that can change their natures(they'll still have their original nature but will have the stats of whatever nature mint you used)

it can't be carried down via breeding but it's still a nice way to get more out of your favorite pokemon. sword/shield postgame is generally insanely friendly to competitive players

e: personally i'm a filthy casual so i just take the first decent-iv non-lovely nature pokemon i get and roll with them, though i'll sometimes breed a 4 or 5iv pokemon if i lucked into something ridiculous

Let me tell you about my trials and tribulations while trying to get a 31 sp. atk 31 speed decent natured female salandit.

Two whole boxes filled with 'em. I'm slowly working through mystery trading all but a select few okay ones. I did this all before I even got the 5th? Badge I think. Checking IVs on every full 6 stat female salandit was a chore, but I'm super happy with Maude

This all started because I got a male and female pretty much back to back with the glowy aura. I have no regrets

Yinlock

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Let me tell you about my trials and tribulations while trying to get a 31 sp. atk 31 speed decent natured female salandit.

Two whole boxes filled with 'em. I'm slowly working through mystery trading all but a select few okay ones. I did this all before I even got the 5th? Badge I think. Checking IVs on every full 6 stat female salandit was a chore, but I'm super happy with Maude

This all started because I got a male and female pretty much back to back with the glowy aura. I have no regrets

i feel that, ask me about the hours i spent trying to get a mr mime with filter and non-garbage stats and i will spin you a fuckin yarn. or trying to get a female scorbunny so i can give my male starter high jump kick

i usually go with "their important stats and speed ivs must be decently high and they need a non-lovely nature" but this is sometimes a fuckin herculean task.

though i got a 5iv dreepy in a wonder trade and a 6iv when i was breeding it for the other ability

i of course immediately made it into a physical dragapult because gently caress the meta dragon darts is cool

e: also salazzle owns, i used it in S/M and it was fun and toxicing muks and toxapexes was hilarious

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 26, 2020

pixaal

So in post game Pokemon Sword Shield there are raids with auras and star ratings, each star is a guaranteed 31. You can suspend the game and close it to reroll the pokemon you spawn with the raid spawning item there's a solid 3-4 second window when you can see the pokemon and before it saves just press home the moment you see it. There's a specific portal where every aura pokemon is ditto you far your 4 start 3-4 perfect IV ditto there.

You can also spam the raid finder and hop in a ditto ASAP to get that sweet sweet easy breeding. Without a godly ditto it's going to be faster to just get caps and get any random pokemon of the species to 100 with candies from random raids than actually breeding. Obviously things like nature and egg moves need to be figured out ahead of time but if you are really wanting to go down that route you should read an actual min/max guide and not what I figured out while messing around the first month before getting bored of the meta.

sig by owlhawk911

Bobby Deluxe

i like to throw the ball at them while i walk my dog

pixaal

Pokemon is great to play casual, I like to breed an awesome team, but I always do a very casual gently caress play first that's mostly catch random stuff that looks cool and see what it can do. My original team is still sitting in a box all 100, none competitively viable.

Seriously have fun, but if you want to get into competitive battling the breeding is the grindy bad part so knowing how to do it as quick as possible so you can just get to the fun of kicking butt. Then as you go up in rank you realize there's hard counters to 1 or 2 of your pokemon and you need to change up your subs to work around that. Given the 3 pokemon in competitive rule you want an ideal no problems 3 pokemon with subs to deal with problem pokemon. That or you throw hard counters to your own counters on your sub list and see who flinches.

If you just want to enjoy battles and raids do whatever you want, it's really hard to not have fun with a pokemon game that's why it's awesome. It's both awesome casual and min / max grindy.

sig by owlhawk911

Mummy Napkin
loving these real hot pokemon tips. i'm still just trying to blaze through all the gyms, but taking it pretty leisurely. what is the 3 pokemon in competitive rule?

Yinlock

Mummy Napkin posted:

loving these real hot pokemon tips. i'm still just trying to blaze through all the gyms, but taking it pretty leisurely. what is the 3 pokemon in competitive rule?

in ranked sword/shield pvp fights you can only choose 3 out of your 6 pokemon to fight(you choose them right before the fight begins and can see both teams beforehand, though who you actually pick is secret till the fight starts). e: in doubles you pick 4

pixaal posted:

If you just want to enjoy battles and raids do whatever you want, it's really hard to not have fun with a pokemon game that's why it's awesome. It's both awesome casual and min / max grindy.

this is the most important part yeah

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 28, 2020

Yinlock

important note for shield players: march 2nd(i think) is an all-overcast day so it's a good time a catch a galar corsola(it only appears during overcast weather on giant's mirror(and max raids but don't count on that))

Heather Papps

hello friend

okay so i can put a tiara on my horse in stardew valley this is huge

The Klowner

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yinlock posted:

important note for shield players: march 2nd(i think) is an all-overcast day so it's a good time a catch a galar corsola(it only appears during overcast weather on giant's mirror(and max raids but don't count on that))

!!!!!

Rockman Reserve

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

trip report: it is very possible and quite enjoyable to blow an entire evening in Dreams by getting high and using the sculpting tool to make mountains, castles, bridges and enemies entirely out of dicks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe

Heather Papps posted:

okay so i can put a tiara on my horse in stardew valley this is huge
my wife modded her horse into a tractor, so can she put a tiara on her tractor?