Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Jean-Luc Junior kicks open the beaten metal door, which slams into the neotile wall with a deafening crash. His double phase-pistol enters before he does, a single harsh beam from a mounted light illuminating nothing for the viewer. "It loving reeks in here." JL Jr. spits, and he steps over the threshold from the hovercar parking garage into the dead hypermall. A busted holosign for Quark's Qurios Quiosk flickers, the wan light again illuminating nothing at all. Raffi follows up, her razor mohawk barely clearing the doorway as she sweeps with the RomBorgulan detector ray around the decaying commercial center. What was once a thriving hub of explicitly financial activity--which favors the very rich over the working class--is now crawling with the vile Borg-slash-Romulan zombies; JL and Raffi can just make out their moaning and whirring. "gently caress, these bitches are cloaked." Raffi swears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HD DAD posted:

I somewhat shamefully admit I’m a poster over on TrekBBS as well, and it’s interesting how different the demographics are between there and SA, and how they’re responding to Picard.

I've been a mod there since 2002 and an administrator since 2010. :suicide:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Tighclops posted:

oh also the Picard show's existence is entirely justified by my amazing av so like no matter what nobody can take that away from us

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I thought a DS9 HD transfer was impossible (also watching the HD TNG eps on Netflix is so weird, it almost looks like a soap opera)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

zoux posted:

I thought a DS9 HD transfer was impossible

Like TNG, DS9 was shot on 35mm film and finished on tape for NTSC delivery. So the film elements still exist.

The issue is the effects, and whether or not it would make sense from a cost-benefit perspective to re-render and re-finish everything. (It wouldn't.)

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

zoux posted:

I thought a DS9 HD transfer was impossible (also watching the HD TNG eps on Netflix is so weird, it almost looks like a soap opera)

HD TNG should look like anything else shot on film. But check your TV settings to make sure you don't have something called motion flow / smooth motion / frame interpolation / etc... switched on.

HD DS9 is entirely possible, it just lacks the will of the license holder to fork out the money to re render and composite digital and optical effects.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'll check those settings, but I think it's just weird to me since I watched all of TNG on 4:3 CRT TVs and so the graininess was just kind of part of it for me. It's like when you put on glasses for the first time.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Timby posted:

Like TNG, DS9 was shot on 35mm film and finished on tape for NTSC delivery. So the film elements still exist.

The issue is the effects, and whether or not it would make sense from a cost-benefit perspective to re-render and re-finish everything. (It wouldn't.)

Yeah, it’s possible, fans have been doing bootstrap HD remasters with AI programs for years now, but Paramount doesn’t want to spend the money on it for DS9 and Voyager because they’re both equally the bastard stepchildren of TNG in its eyes.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Seeing every wrinkle on Sisko's face somehow makes me happy.

HD DAD posted:

I somewhat shamefully admit I’m a poster over on TrekBBS as well, and it’s interesting how different the demographics are between there and SA, and how they’re responding to Picard.

So what's the median between the two? And the median between TrekBBS, SA and imdb?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, it’s possible, fans have been doing bootstrap HD remasters with AI programs for years now, but Paramount doesn’t want to spend the money on it for DS9 and Voyager because they’re both equally the bastard stepchildren of TNG in its eyes.

Well, it's also because the TNG HD restoration was absurdly expensive and sold like week-old dogshit. If the most popular series faceplanted with its HD release, there's no way there'd be a return on investment from DS9 or Voyager.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I spent a lot of time in high school trolling TrekBBS because at the time many of the posters there were insufferable assholes. One mod in particular would get really mad if I referred to the author of Dune as "Stank Herbert"

I hope the place has improved

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

At least both boards can bond over the WTFness of the Aatrek.

Was a member of TrekBBS (technically still am I suppose) in the early 2000's until a bunch of us broke away and formed our own board over very serious internet drama involving moderation of their politics forum.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Senor Tron posted:

Was a member of TrekBBS (technically still am I suppose) in the early 2000's until a bunch of us broke away and formed our own board over very serious internet drama involving moderation of their politics forum.

Ah, yes, the great Briar Patch / Neutral Zone debacle.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Timby posted:

Well, it's also because the TNG HD restoration was absurdly expensive and sold like week-old dogshit. If the most popular series faceplanted with its HD release, there's no way there'd be a return on investment from DS9 or Voyager.

It didn't help that it happened as the home media market started to tank.

It looks bloody great on Netflix though.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Senor Tron posted:

At least both boards can bond over the WTFness of the Aatrek.

I remember I started a weird Civilization-esque role play thread in the Miscellaneous forum circa 2002. No idea why I did that.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Timby posted:

LISSAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Senor Tron posted:

LISSAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

She's long gone. She just up and disappeared from the board in like 2010.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Timby posted:

Well?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I'm on a bus home from work, I'll type it up when I'm in my recliner.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

zoux posted:

I'll do that in the 48 minutes I'm not watching a show I hate, teeth gritted at the slap in the face I've been given by the bad writers who don't care.

I'm zero mad or peeved I'm merely fighting against yet another genre thread getting taken over by hatewatchers like every single sci-fi show thread ever leaving people who like the (well reviewed by the way) show with no where to post.

That's exactly my issue. I'd like to talk about the programmes I enjoy watching without pointlessly aggressive gate keeping by shitwits who are offended that people might like it, and subsequently try to drown any discourse in meaningless catchphrases and criticisms unsupported by the episodes.

Tighclops posted:

Lol you don't get a hug box for a show you like man come on

And yet you seem to want one for raging about the show you decided to dislike.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
aw what the hell man we're all here waiting for Timby to relax so we can hear about some juicy old forum drama

you're killing the vibe

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

That's exactly my issue. I'd like to talk about the programmes I enjoy watching without pointlessly aggressive gate keeping by shitwits who are offended that people might like it, and subsequently try to drown any discourse in meaningless catchphrases and criticisms unsupported by the episodes.

As someone who really would like to enjoy Picard, and someone who genuinely likes the more...controversial Trek series, I’m really curious how you’re enjoying the writing of this show. And that’s a completely genuine question.

I ask because this is the first time since oh, Nemesis that I’ve actively been appalled at the level of writing in Trek. The overall story arc actually seems pretty drat interesting, and the characters as concepts are interesting, but the execution...mainly the smaller story beats, the dialogue, and some choice production designs make me feel like this was scripted by someone who isn’t really experienced in writing for television. It’s shiny, but it’s awkward to me.

I recognize a lot of the same complaints being levied at Discovery, and while it has its issues, it still has a weird, goofy sort of heart to it that I like. Picard just feels...off and empty. I’m really happy to see a good chunk of people are enjoying it, though.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

The pacing of the show makes me feel like it's not even really gotten started yet 5 episodes in, I'm not exactly enthused at this point but that doesn't make it hatewatching, and I -want- people who like the show to post about it, because I can't see what they're seeing yet still. The only "gatekeeping" I see is people with criticisms being told that they just shouldn't watch the show and should gently caress off.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Some people don't like the show, or merely not as much as you do, and our talking about this somehow prevents you from posting about it yourself? Keeps you from enjoying it yourself? I "decided" I would dislike it, as opposed to just not expecting it would be very good based on recent material by the same people? I'm "gatekeeping" whatever the gently caress that means? I'm not a mod here, I have no powers.

There's an ignore button if other people's thoughts bug you so much. Use it like I'm about to.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

95% of your posts in this thread are personal attacks against the posters within in, the moment anyone points this out you start bitching about "gatekeeping" Nobody here cares if someone else likes the show.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

aw what the hell man we're all here waiting for Timby to relax so we can hear about some juicy old forum drama

you're killing the vibe

Okay, so, ever since the dawn of time (or 1999, whichever you prefer), the deepest, darkest pit of Hell TrekBBS has had a forum for political discussions, called The Neutral Zone. Now, TNZ was--for the most part--essentially the Wild West, with very limited moderation, and as you might expect it invited a lot of really nasty stuff that would be right at home on Stormfront.

So at some point, the board's chief decided, after much discussion in the mod forum, to split the political discussion into two forums. The Neutral Zone was replaced by The Demilitarized Zone, and it would be much more heavily moderated. And then a second forum, The Briar Patch, was added, and that was essentially completely mod-free with the exception of death threats or illegal behavior.

Note that this was far from the only boneheaded decision that Lisa, the board's top admin at the time, made during her tenure. She had already pissed off a bunch of old-timers to the point that they started a spin-off site called Troll Kingdom, which wound up doxxing a bunch of the mods and admins, with phone numbers, social security numbers, even addresses put out into the open. Explaining some of the mail I got at my parents' house was ... interesting.

As you might expect, the DMZ / Briar Patch experiment did not go well, and the decision was made after about a year to shutter both of them and bring back TNZ, with much stricter moderation (no, you don't get to call a mod a fat Jew motherfucker just because you're pissed he closed a spam thread). This resulted in another exodus of people who started a spin-off site called WordForge, which is a very, uh, odd place.

Even though I've been the #2 admin there since 2012, I barely go there anymore except to read and address reports and post in the baseball thread.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Whoa TrekBBS spawned its very own KiwiFarms

I guess its comforting that other forums have the same weird offsite drama we do

zoux fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 25, 2020

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I can remember when they organized the spam attacks in TK's irc channel, I'm old the internet is old, it's all coming back to me now

large_gourd
Jan 17, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brawnfire posted:

ST:P S04E1-2 "Picard Dies (Pts.1&2)"

Riker laughs while he's filling out a sprawling, fancy Vulcan puzzle. Deanna stands nearby at the kitchen sink, repeatedly banging a pot around in simulation of housework. "What is it, Imzadi?" she says with barely-restrained hate. "I just never noticed it before; July August September October November." he replies, laughing even harder now. "JASON. Leave it to the Vulcans to notice that. Hoo, drat." There are actual no-poo poo tears in his eyes.

Picard lies dead on the front lawn outside the door. Nobody notices or, if they do, nobody cares.

this idea of an episode just called 'picard dies' really made me laugh

they should do it for everyone. a parade of returning characters with their own 'worf dies', 'geordi is killed' episodes, until nobody is left. because they all have died now.

large_gourd fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 25, 2020

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Timby posted:

So at some point, the board's chief decided, after much discussion in the mod forum, to split the political discussion into two forums. The Neutral Zone was replaced by The Demilitarized Zone, and it would be much more heavily moderated. And then a second forum, The Briar Patch, was added, and that was essentially completely mod-free with the exception of death threats or illegal behavior.

Ah, this is one of those "democracy simply doesn't work" stories, isn't it?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

zoux posted:

Whoa TrekBBS spawned its very own KiwiFarms

I guess its comforting that other forums have the same weird offsite drama we do

I am so glad I have never attempted to ever discuss Star Trek or Star Wars online outside these forums.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

zoux posted:

When are you going to stop watchign this show you clearly despise
...says the person continuing to read and post in a thread they clearly despise.

Who is doing this "gatekeeping"? What are these "catch phrases"? Does everyone have to run their criticism by you before posting it to make sure it meets your standards? What you seem to want is for everyone just to agree that the show is good. I'm not seeing anyone being criticised or told to stop posting for liking the show; in fact, it's the other way around: a small number of people (or maybe just one; I'm not good at keeping track of who posted what) are telling people who don't like the show to stop watching and shut up. Otherwise people are just talking about what they do or don't like about the show and why.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Control has succeeded in its ultimate goal of wiping out all fun from the face of the thread, we need a time suit to go back and fix it

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
who the gently caress is voq

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tighclops posted:

who the gently caress is voq

go voq urself

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Timby posted:

go voq urself

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Clearly they're going to kill off Picard but transfer his katra into Seven so that Jeri Ryan can be the star of the show.

Admit it, her playing someone who's both Seven and Picard at the same time would be great!

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

zoux posted:

When are you going to stop watchign this show you clearly despise

end of the season when they do not pay off the central mystery and set up some bullshit twist in all likelihood.

last episode of star trek i liked was either the mushroom universe or saru nearly dies episodes of DISCO, whichever came last

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Timby posted:

Okay, so, ever since the dawn of time (or 1999, whichever you prefer), the deepest, darkest pit of Hell TrekBBS has had a forum for political discussions, called The Neutral Zone. Now, TNZ was--for the most part--essentially the Wild West, with very limited moderation, and as you might expect it invited a lot of really nasty stuff that would be right at home on Stormfront.

Note that this was far from the only boneheaded decision that Lisa, the board's top admin at the time, made during her tenure. She had already pissed off a bunch of old-timers to the point that they started a spin-off site called Troll Kingdom, which wound up doxxing a bunch of the mods and admins, with phone numbers, social security numbers, even addresses put out into the open. Explaining some of the mail I got at my parents' house was ... interesting.

As you might expect, the DMZ / Briar Patch experiment did not go well, and the decision was made after about a year to shutter both of them and bring back TNZ, with much stricter moderation (no, you don't get to call a mod a fat Jew motherfucker just because you're pissed he closed a spam thread). This resulted in another exodus of people who started a spin-off site called WordForge, which is a very, uh, odd place.

Even though I've been the #2 admin there since 2012, I barely go there anymore except to read and address reports and post in the baseball thread.

Workforce was really good back in the early days because it was decent at self moderating. Nowadays we've had to codify a lot of rules like "yes you will get banned for using racial slurs" because as we have all learned in the 21st century give people online anonymity and some will become utter trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Senor Tron posted:

as we have all learned in the 21st century give people online anonymity and some will become utter trash.
There's no "becoming" and anonymity doesn't even factor into it. Most of those people will post the same poo poo from their real-name Facebook accounts and have been saying those things out loud for years.