Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
there's a really nice darts bar in minami that i will never shut up about i had a lot of fun

https://dartscafe-max-osaka.business.site/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

I have a trip to Tokyo and Kyoto planned for March 3rd; I'm seeing reports now of Tokyo canceling or postponing indoor events. I'm considering making alternate plans, going somewhere other than Tokyo. I'll probably spend the last few days in Kyoto regardless, but am thinking going to Osaka for a few days before that if the Coronavirus stuff gets much worse; first-time visit to Japan, I like food and historical stuff, anyplace that would make a good location to go to via Shinkansen other than Osaka assuming I need to be in Osaka on the 13th?

I recommend a day trip to Himeji. There is basically only the castle to see there but it's worth the trip.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

peanut posted:

gently caress off corn mayo pizza owns

Stringent posted:

it does yeah

hmm.. Ok, so what are your thoughts on pineapple on pizzas? Actually, does that turn up often in Japan?

Personally I don't mind it as it can create a contrast and build on other flavours.
Mayo + corn is just sweet + sweet that tips the food item from a savory dish to something that is more of a dessert.

Or is that the point?

teddust posted:

I recommend a day trip to Himeji. There is basically only the castle to see there but it's worth the trip.

There's also a garden next to the castle that's quite nice, though you may be too early for the sakura season and may be still too cold for much of anything to be blooming yet. May be more worth it when it gets warmer but something to keep in mind.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Stumbling Block posted:

hmm.. Ok, so what are your thoughts on pineapple on pizzas? Actually, does that turn up often in Japan?

Never seen it here.

Stumbling Block posted:

Mayo + corn is just sweet + sweet that tips the food item from a savory dish to something that is more of a dessert.

Or is that the point?

It's generally accompanied with some kind of salty meat or potato so you get the same sweet/salty contrast as you would with pineapple or we. It's not my favorite, but it's definitely not bad.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Grand Fromage posted:

Geography. Osaka is the central city of the region. If you want to explore all over Kansai it makes no sense to stay anywhere else. If you mainly just want to see one of the other cities, stay there.

Gotcha. My plans were mostly to see stuff that's in Kyoto, with day trips to Nara and Osaka. But if you were going further most days Osaka does look more central.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I like pineapple on pizza but it's not often available here. Got to make it myself. (Stir fry and skewers too)

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

peanut posted:

gently caress off corn mayo pizza, owns

fixed for u

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Just saw the Ghibli museum is closing for 2 weeks. I wonder what stuff I planned that will end up cancelled next week. Glad I got that one done last year.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

Stringent posted:

It's generally accompanied with some kind of salty meat or potato so you get the same sweet/salty contrast as you would with pineapple or we. It's not my favorite, but it's definitely not bad.

peanut posted:

I like pineapple on pizza but it's not often available here. Got to make it myself. (Stir fry and skewers too)

Ok, makes sense. Isn't cheese a bit of a pain to source for it? All the cheese I see in the supermarkets there are both too small and lacking in range while being too expensive for it to boot.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Monja is not really meant to be a meal, it's basically just something to snack on while you drink (a shitload of beer). And it's more about the entertainment/experience rather than the food itself. Definitely don't need to bust your rear end to eat it while in Tokyo, especially if you plan on having okonomiyaki somewhere.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Feb 24, 2020

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Cheese is Japan is definitely lacking compared to the US and Europe, but pizza will always be available.

birds
Jun 28, 2008

I have plans to go in May but with the situation seemingly getting more out of hand, I was wondering if anyone else has plans to travel to Japan in the coming months and what you’re planning to do in regards to making a decision on cancelling.

I’m not so worried about the virus more so the impact a potential quarantine upon return will have on my job security.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

birds posted:

I have plans to go in May but with the situation seemingly getting more out of hand, I was wondering if anyone else has plans to travel to Japan in the coming months and what you’re planning to do in regards to making a decision on cancelling.

I’m not so worried about the virus more so the impact a potential quarantine upon return will have on my job security.

Excuse me as I gaze into my crystal ball...

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Unless the king of Japan says "no sir you're not coming" I fully expect to be neck deep in NAMA BIRUUU in 75 days.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Martytoof posted:

Unless the king of Japan says "no sir you're not coming" I fully expect to be neck deep in NAMA BIRUUU in 75 days.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Japan is really bungling it response to the virus to be honest, so while it's not bad at the moment, it's entirely possible that things could go south fast.

My parents have tickets for late March and we're definitely considering the need to cancel them coming depending on circumstances, especially as they're 70 now.

Edit: I wouldn't say there's a desperate need to cancel, especially if you're young and healthy, but keep it in mind and watch the news. On the bright side if you're from the US then getting it in Japan, ever with no insurance, would probably be cheaper than getting it in the US with insurance lol

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Assuming you're from the US, watch what the State Department says about travel advisory for Japan. They just adjusted some of the advisory for Japan due to the corona virus, so both follow the instruction there and also keep an eye out on any changes.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My parents visited last week, flew home, and now my mom has two weeks of mandatory remote working. Sorry if you have a job that requires physical presence :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I volunteer to trade my two hour commute for mandatory telecommute.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I'm going on Friday. Both my husband and I have been talking about leaving our jobs anyway.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I have tickets for a trip in April, gonna watch the Dept of State and my company's CorpSec announcements. Might end up with a couple weeks quarantine but my job let's people work full remote.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Keep an eye out that any specific events or museums you want to see don’t get closed out of contagion fears.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

harperdc posted:

Assuming you're from the US, watch what the State Department says about travel advisory for Japan. They just adjusted some of the advisory for Japan due to the corona virus, so both follow the instruction there and also keep an eye out on any changes.

The travel advisories may also be regional, thus my plan of putting together a different itinerary that skips Tokyo (which seems to be the epicenter of Coronavirus in Japan).

I'm thinking it's more likely than not we skip Tokyo at this point, unfortunately; I'm supposed to leave on Tuesday, but I'll see what museums and the palace and gardens and stuff look like as of this weekend.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I'll share my experiences as I go, I arrive in Tokyo Saturday afternoon and leave March 8th.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

We go to Tokyo tomorrow (we're at Fujikawaguchico, at the moment, drat there are some beautiful landscapes in this country) and I think it'll be fine. Yokohama seemed to be business as usual, noting we went to was closed but they do seem to be sold out of masks, or on a 1 per customer limit, everywhere. I've gotten very drunk and eaten a lot, like a very serious amount, of delicious food.

field balm fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 25, 2020

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Now is the best time to visit Kyoto and Nara go go go

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009
This is gonna do wonders for the upcoming olympic tourism...

Man, wish I could visit Kyoto now. It'd be just like as I knew it 10 years ago.
Unfortunately I've been there back to back for the past two years and can't really make it back there atleast for another 1-2 years.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Given the intense likelihood that a couple hundred people have decided to ride out their onsetting flu symptoms rather than risk going a few grand in the hole by visiting the doctor I like my odds in Japan better than the US atm.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I was doing a Japanese lesson and I was supposed to come up with a celebrity, plug their name into "〜さんがきらいです" and then give a reason for why I didn't like them. I couldn't think of any celebrities so my tutor provided Abe as an example to use. Turns out, she's not a fan of Abe's response to the coronavirus.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

The travel advisories may also be regional, thus my plan of putting together a different itinerary that skips Tokyo (which seems to be the epicenter of Coronavirus in Japan).

I'm thinking it's more likely than not we skip Tokyo at this point, unfortunately; I'm supposed to leave on Tuesday, but I'll see what museums and the palace and gardens and stuff look like as of this weekend.

There’s been news reports of people getting sick from Hokkaido all the way to Okinawa, Tokyo has been the epicenter but I’m not sure anything re: work or immigration is going to be checking at that regional level.

Seems like the government is finally encouraging the delay of some sports/events to help keep crowds down for the next few weeks. Meanwhile I might take peanut’s advice and see what hotels are going for in Kyoto/Osaka for this weekend.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

harperdc posted:

There's been news reports of people getting sick from Hokkaido all the way to Okinawa, Tokyo has been the epicenter but I’m not sure anything re: work or immigration is going to be checking at that regional level.

Seems like the government is finally encouraging the delay of some sports/events to help keep crowds down for the next few weeks. Meanwhile I might take peanut’s advice and see what hotels are going for in Kyoto/Osaka for this weekend.
drat, I'll definitely keep a close eye on things.

A few questions:

*Japanese Distilleries: we want to do a distillery day; what distilleries particularly stand out? We were planning for Tokyo, but it may wind up being Osaka or Hiroshima. Whiskey is definitely the liquor of choice, but I'm totally down to try uniquely-Japanese liquor (or really anything you can't get in the States). This applies even if it's not good; novelty is sufficient.
*One of my travelling companions really wants to do a railway museum; looking through Japan-guide, the Saitama railway museum in Tokyo looked to be the most prominent one; is there a bigger/better one?
*Speaking of Saitama, we saw a few things we wanted to do there: the Prefectural Museum, the Hikawa Shrine, and the Omiya Bonsai Art Museum; do any of those stand out as particularly good/bad?
*We were planning spending some time in Odaiba; is the Museum of Innovation worth visiting? We figured we could make a day of that, the Teamlab exhibits and an onsen; is there a particularly good onsen in Odaiba? No tattoos on anybody.
*Is the Gion Corner Cultural Show worth it? I saw it had some mixed reviews.
*Any particularly stand-out sake breweries in Kyoto? We're planning a day in the Sake district and a visit to the museum. Also, any novel liquor to try from the sake breweries there would be great.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Feb 25, 2020

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

field balm posted:

We go to Tokyo tomorrow (we're at Fujikawaguchico, at the moment, drat there are some beautiful landscapes in this country)

Did you try biking around any of the lakes? I was thinking of biking around at least one lake and maybe taking one day at the Fuji-Q Highland park.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yamazaki distillery is between Osaka and Kyoto and has a decent English website.
Sake is a little harder, there's a lot of small companies and most of them have ugly facilities that aren't appropriate for tours. Just ask at the museum and they'll have suggestions.

geese
May 29, 2007

This goose is cooked.
re: Odaiba onsen, I went last summer and we hit up TeamLab Borderless in the morning, and then went to Oedo Onsen Monogatari, which was a stop or two away on the train. https://daiba.ooedoonsen.jp/en/

I don't think it's the most authentic onsen, but a great way to spend a relaxing afternoon. They have lots of food stalls with every Japanese food and beer you can imagine, a nap room, and the pool area had like 8 different types of indoor and outdoor pools. There was also a footbath area that both men and women could go into together. I went with my wife and we enjoyed doing the foot bath together, then went to the gender-segregated pools, had a snack, went to the nap room, second visit to the pool, second snack, and so on. We were expecting to spend only a couple hours there, but ended up being there for 5 hours.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There's an area of Nara with a whole lot of sake breweries and they're all open to visit and sample. I believe Kyoto also has this but haven't been to them.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
the yamizaki distillery is a good time. there's also a tiny okonomiyaki place on the walk up from the station that's kinda hard to find, but is really good and the owner is nice

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Yea my friends and I did the Yamazaki distillery, it was a lot of fun.

My friend is a whiskey fan so during the tasting he got a shot of the 25 year Yamazaki for like 3000 yen. Said it's very worth it!

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

peanut posted:

Cheese is Japan is definitely lacking compared to the US and Europe, but pizza will always be available.

Cheese in the US is lacking compared to Europe.

Stringent posted:

Given the intense likelihood that a couple hundred people have decided to ride out their onsetting flu symptoms rather than risk going a few grand in the hole by visiting the doctor I like my odds in Japan better than the US atm.

Actually the US is probably OK for now (but may not be later). There were four cases in the bay area about 4 weeks ago, but no other additional cases have popped up here. The US is doing some really strong checks at all airports right now, including flagging anyone who they have history of visiting Asia.

But we might be hosed in a month or two.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

arisu posted:

Yea my friends and I did the Yamazaki distillery, it was a lot of fun.

My friend is a whiskey fan so during the tasting he got a shot of the 25 year Yamazaki for like 3000 yen. Said it's very worth it!

Yeah they have decent prices on some insane whisky you're not likely to ever see anywhere else at the tasting bar.

As far as the US goes, when it goes big here it'll probably be the worst outbreak since nobody can/will get tested and quarantined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah they have decent prices on some insane whisky you're not likely to ever see anywhere else at the tasting bar.

As far as the US goes, when it goes big here it'll probably be the worst outbreak since nobody can/will get tested and quarantined.
Very little of the service/retail industry (especially food service) offers sick leave, and most people are living paycheck-to-paycheck.

Why would you think this would create a problem?