Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

slamming down the core list after a big conquest feels too good to stop doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'll believe there's no Swedish Bias when I see it

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

Roadie posted:

A comedy-yet-possibly-useful thought here: "Plague" as an Institution that starts out already established in the Eurasian countries but at 0 in the Americas, and that's purely negative, with development-destroying events that pop up at certain breakpoints as it advances. That way you get to piggyback off the mechanics for spread from neighbor to neighbor, especially if you put the advancement rate really high compared to the other institutions.

That's actually a decent idea, when I get to that part I'll have to see how feasible it is versus any of the other possible ways.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

There's not really any way the real timurids snake into Delhi and suddenly become the strongest nation in history by changing their flag. There's no way England wins the HYW and doesn't either disintegrate into two kingdoms again or become Mega France. Hell, there's really no way England incorporates the scottish highlands as an afterthought in 1465, and that's easy as piss to do in-game. There's no way the romans use mercenaries, Skanderbeg, "loans," and a very tricksy navy to helplessly strand the entire ottoman army, nor is there any way they bounce from that to retaking the mediterranean and then celebrate the victory by abandoning more than a millennium of hellenic language administration for latin and re-hoist the banners of SPQR. There's no way the mongols pull a complete reversal and overrun Ming in the 1500s. There's no way iberians conquer Morocco by 1500.

Aztec invasions are as plausible as anything else in EU4.

e: and yeah I stan for "historical realism" sometimes in this thread but I like it for gameplay reasons- like I want the steppe hordes, or the mamluks, or France, to have serious reforms and challenges in 1444, and THEN you reap the benefits and start rampaging.

Of course you are right, which speaks to my own inherent biases. It’s much easier for my brain to accept historical impossibilities done by Europeans of the period than non-Europeans.

And don’t get me wrong, I am not very happy that my brain works this way.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

How does your brain react to Mali being a colonizer in the New World, or Congo taking over all of Africa after contact/trade with Europeans? What about a mineral rich African nation conquering the entire Indian Ocean coastline? How about a Philippine or Malaysian nation putting their firm focus on colonizing all of the spice islands to shut the Europeans out before they even arrive?

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

TTBF posted:

How does your brain react to Mali being a colonizer in the New World, or Congo taking over all of Africa after contact/trade with Europeans? What about a mineral rich African nation conquering the entire Indian Ocean coastline? How about a Philippine or Malaysian nation putting their firm focus on colonizing all of the spice islands to shut the Europeans out before they even arrive?

The same way I react to other screenshots of player controlled blobs.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

TTBF posted:

lol

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Pewdiepie posted:

The same way I react to other screenshots of player controlled blobs.

It's not that unusual to see any of those by the AI, honestly--there was a period where literally every run that the Mamluks survived, they would go bonkers with Exploration and colonize everything out to and including Australia.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Still happens, I'm staring at Mamlukean Australia and Ottoman spice islands right now.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Turns out the AI can be sneaky at times. Although on this occasion I think it was more of an accidental cleverness.

Hungary got dogpiled, first by Ottomans, then Bohemia and then Poland-Lithuania.

Due how to occupations shook out after the Ottoman took his bite, Bohemia ended up sieging Zemplen which was Poland's war goal. So Poland just took the land around it, neatly cutting off Bohemia from being able to grab anything.

Of course, my main problem now is that if I want to form Prussia, I need to punch through a newly formed Commonwealth that has just over double my troops.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Has anyone else tried that fantasy mod Anbennar that was mentioned earlier? I downloaded it to have a go.

It’s unfinished and janky but kind of entertaining. Just had a game as Lorent, a mixed colonial / land power that’s a sort of France analog.

It has:
- Lots of cross alliances and patchwork landholdings and so on to make conquest difficult
- Wizard generals with 6-12 shock
- Hindu style pantheon to worship that give large bonuses
- Monster nations that periodically invade everyone else and get counter-invaded
- spells that give you +.5 goods produced everywhere
- vaguely interesting fantasy storyline about rediscovering not-Valinor and discovering that at least one of the gods ain’t at home any more
- some kind of complicated system for managing all the different fantasy races in your realm

I’m not sure if it’s good, but it’s interesting

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Redeye Flight posted:

It's not that unusual to see any of those by the AI, honestly--there was a period where literally every run that the Mamluks survived, they would go bonkers with Exploration and colonize everything out to and including Australia.

Why would a player in Europe let that happen? Assuming the player is actually good at the game.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Pewdiepie posted:

Why would a player in Europe let that happen? Assuming the player is actually good at the game.

If the player doesn't pick Exploration?

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Usually the case for me, since the majority of my games are Italy forming games.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Yeah. I have a lot of starts as Venice, which is a glorious Mediterranean knife fight. By the time things have solidified and I’m poking my head out to see what the rest of the world has gotten up to, who knows where the AI will have ended up

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
some idea sets just do not make sense to me

ruthenia, for instance, is more or less a lesser side-grade to russia's. it also needs you to go through a fair bit of work to do, given lithunia basically starts with all the land (unless you are lith, ofc.)

so you're giving up poland and russia's good, solid sets for something okay and also getting swapped into a generic mission tree that isn't applicable to you, as most of it is about taking... ruthenia.

ugh

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
It's not like there's a clear connection between effort in result in lots of vanity actions. It's a game where you can start as France or Ottomans and no matter how well you play any small power with lot of potential they will never have the same power as if you'd just start as someone cool. Creating Ruthenia is its own reward.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

ilitarist posted:

It's not like there's a clear connection between effort in result in lots of vanity actions. It's a game where you can start as France or Ottomans and no matter how well you play any small power with lot of potential they will never have the same power as if you'd just start as someone cool. Creating Ruthenia is its own reward.

I've never liked starting as already established nations. The early scramble for land as a minor to regional power is some of the most fun that EU4 provides.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Dealing with an established country can be fun too. I mean later period games like Victoria 2 and Hearts of Iron 4 are all about dealing with established countries and an established situation, there are no OPMs there to speak about. Even Total War games that usually have that philosophy of start small get big include starts as a great troubling power.

But yeah, I think that games like Civilization are easier to get into exactly cause they're about starting small and getting big, discovering new features on the go. And EU4 is a Paradox game that is the closest to this idea. In CK2 you can start as a leader of a huge empire and there are almost no mechanics that don't exist at the earliest start. But I'd argue that most of variety and replayability comes from starting as those countries that already have their set of problems and advantages. I think that's what Imperator Rome tried to sell with its granularity, it was about empire building but even OPMs were not OPMs there.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Starting big in Ck2 feels different because it’s often an administrative clusterfuck, you don’t get any say on your first leader or two, many countries have subpar succession, and you’re unfamiliar with all the legion of vassals you need to deal with so it still at least feels like there’s a growth curve. With EU4 starting huge is just kind of a flat benefit, there’s not all that much more to think about compared to starting with two provinces.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

There is so many fun and interesting things to do. For example last night I started up Circassia and as soon as I could I moved the capital to the only non-steppe province, gave the rest to the cossacks and hit every increased influence button they had (except for increased autonomy) for a hilarious 110 and heeded the call of the steppe. Sadly I lost out on the pleasant dark green color but now I'm the path to unlocking ideas so I can start sending polite diplomatic letters to foreign leaders.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
"Primitives cannot make or be marches"

Yikes P-dogs, if only you'd have done the same as CK2 and have the reformed religion literally be a different one so that poo poo like this didn't happen

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I had no idea about the shenanigans you can get up to with primitive nations until Florryworry’s latest harebrained scheme. He used some weird mechanics to revoke the privilegia, convert to Animist, go Inti via event, enforce religion on the HRE, and then one faith. Anyway what I learned (besides the fact that nations with boats will disband their boats if they go primitive) is a province will not have separatism if a primitive nation has a core on it. Pretty handy if you’re trying to culture convert the world!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Beefeater1980 posted:

- Wizard generals with 6-12 shock
- spells that give you +.5 goods produced everywhere

The wizards also come with 4-5 siege but these aren't quite as broken as they sound on paper. The wizards you can only hire via estate interaction once every 100 years, so you get 4 ever and they seem to have normal general lifespans even if you're a long-lived race. The spell costs a decent chunk of change, lasts 10 years, and is also on a shared cooldown (not sure how long) with the other wizard estate spells.

Also you can turn your army into zombies and be a zombie nation. I haven't tried this yet but uh

e: I made my ruler a lich:

I also beat a really nasty (and for intents and purposes unavoidable) disaster the dwarfs get and have this modifier until my ruler's death, which is now presumably never:

-2 unrest
-10% dev cost
-50% stab cost
-0.1% inflation

So I now have permanent -100% stab cost :getin:

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Feb 24, 2020

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
You can definitely start as a world power in eu4, it's called Ming. And there's also Timurids, but that's also a much harder start.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Prop Wash posted:

I had no idea about the shenanigans you can get up to with primitive nations until Florryworry’s latest harebrained scheme. He used some weird mechanics to revoke the privilegia, convert to Animist, go Inti via event, enforce religion on the HRE, and then one faith. Anyway what I learned (besides the fact that nations with boats will disband their boats if they go primitive) is a province will not have separatism if a primitive nation has a core on it. Pretty handy if you’re trying to culture convert the world!

Florry is a pro watch if you want to learn how to break the game in half. He's also good at explaining his thoughts and plans usually, and can be entertaining. Def hit like & subscribe.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

worst leagues i've ever seen. scrub league leagues

special guests styria and thuringia

france is catholic but they hate bohemia

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

First Come First Serve...

...and For Odin :cool:

Scandinavian Scandinavia

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Scandinavian Scandinavia

Sunni La Plata?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

that's minorities being expelled and it messed me up a bit in my Third Way run recently

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

dublish posted:

Sunni La Plata?

It's Always Sunni In Patagonia :v:

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Scandinavian Scandinavia

Nice!

I'm thinking of trying a For Odin run myself, any advice for ideas, starting location etc?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I'd suggest consulting the wiki for some initial ideas, particularly if you're aiming for only that achievement. Essentially you "take over" London with your custom nation, along with Meath so you have a direct avenue to Ireland and easy expansion, plus whatever else you can fit inside your nation point limit that directly weakens England.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Starting big in Ck2 feels different because it’s often an administrative clusterfuck, you don’t get any say on your first leader or two, many countries have subpar succession, and you’re unfamiliar with all the legion of vassals you need to deal with so it still at least feels like there’s a growth curve. With EU4 starting huge is just kind of a flat benefit, there’s not all that much more to think about compared to starting with two provinces.

There is something to your point. But still it's mostly about experience. Small nation start is gentler to a newcomer cause you have fewer plates to spin, in both games starting big is unconditional good as long as you know the basics. In EU4 starting big usually means having historical rivals and probably some internal limiting mechanics or upcoming disasters like Timurids, Ming or Poland-Lithuania. You also have to handle estates and will have a much harder time getting institutions.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/euiv-development-diary-25th-of-february-2020.1339919/

EU4 DevDiary about mercenaries.

The concept looks solid. You're relatively limited in mercenaries you can hire. Many of "local" (always available) have unique modifiers, often negative like slower morale/troop repleneshment, but at the same times smaller ones look quite affordable. It was previously quite ahistorical that mercenaries are the best tool for huge empires while in reality they were more popular for smaller states who wanted a temporary advantage, not a standing army.

Still it's not clear to me if there's a shared pool of mercenaries. As in they say you shouldn't be able to screw over another player by pressing a button faster than them, does it mean that "foreign" mercenaries can be hired again and again by any nation? And they don't talk that much about mutiny you can see on screenshots.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

What would be nice to supplement the new merc system is a way to prop up smaller countries/allies with manpower transfers, similar to how it works with your Marches.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Saros posted:

What would be nice to supplement the new merc system is a way to prop up smaller countries/allies with manpower transfers, similar to how it works with your Marches.

the emperor of china can do this for its tributaries too.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

ItohRespectArmy posted:

the emperor of china can do this for its tributaries too.

Man it loving rules to be at war and then the boss that you send 12 dip points too every year just dumps 100k dudes so you can throw wave after wave of bodies at GB.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

it sucks how hard court and country is to trigger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

oddium posted:

it sucks how hard court and country is to trigger

I think there's a trick to this where you take 50% reduction in unrest from reducing autonomy as your first Age of Absolutism pick, then you do something to create the potential for particularist rebels, then you give in to demands immediately (doesn't have to trigger, just have the potential to exist), then you reduce autonomy across your whole nation immediately giving you lots of absolutism. At that point just declare a war on some chump who you have military access with so your stability and exhaustion sky rocket your unrest. Wait two years.