Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

No Pants posted:

I left that to some extremely horny young wives. The part that made me realize I was a monster was the decade of infanticide.

FreudianSlippers posted:

You can't make an omelette without murdering a few babies.

It's true. :shrug: Butchering children is merely the cost of doing business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Some of the things you can in this game are horrific if you think about it from an in-game perspective. Hell, more than once I've kidnapped a newborn while raiding, and then taken them as a concubine when they became an adult.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea no poo poo. One time I was basically vacuuming up all of europe's single genius woman in order to finally get a decent heir. At one point much later (with 30+ lovers) I stumble across a bug; my longest standing lover is claiming to be married to my wife. No wait that's not right, she's actually just my wife's mother. Aw gently caress.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Neurion posted:

Afaik you don't get alerts for sieges starting during wars, just a large popup when they're completed. Besides, you should always know when you're at war, and the list of things on the right of the screen (the list that has your demesne and other things in it) will include active sieges. Green numbers are sieges you are performing, red is sieges performed against you.

I've played CK2 for 500 hours, this isn't what I mean.

So in my game I have an Empire of Hispania that is Germanic religion. They own all of Spain, France, England, Portugal and the Netherlands as well as about 3/4 of Italy. So that means all of those places are able to raid and they're doing it constantly. This means all the time, ALL THE TIME. So I've got sieges failing constantly because I have to just let them raid wherever, it's too much hassle to try and stop them.

Meaning when I'm at war I'm failing sieges but I don't know if they're real ones or raiding ones.

I don't mean the popup to tell me a raid is happening, that's off. But if you're fighting a crusade and you're getting "SIEGE OF X DEFEAT" all the time it's proper goddamn annoying, I wish raiding sieges counted as a different thing to actual sieges that matter.

This whole game has actually been pretty insane. Byzantium owns almost all of the old roman borders in Africa/the middle east. Iran is Nestorian. The black death started in India in 950. Charlemagne died of food poisoning after eating his wife. It's....yea.

Taear fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Feb 25, 2020

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

binge crotching posted:

Some of the things you can in this game are horrific if you think about it from an in-game perspective. Hell, more than once I've kidnapped a newborn while raiding, and then taken them as a concubine when they became an adult.

My girlfriend tried out the game, and after I showed her the ropes, after like 30 minutes her regent had banged his daughter-in-law, leading to a -100 cucked mood modifier and armed patricidal insurrection. I daren't think what she'll do with more hours under her belt.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
My wife played this game exactly one time with me. She liked playing as a vassal and making sure all my commanders were married etc. then her character inherited the kingdom of Anatolia and she stopped cuz she didn’t want to be responsible for all that. Ambition is not in her genes I guess!!

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
The way raiding works is actually one of the least fun parts of the game imo

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Sampatrick posted:

The way raiding works is actually one of the least fun parts of the game imo

It's especially funny to see to see loads of raiders from a place you're actually crusading against. No wonder they lost!

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
Is there a trick to founding the 30 murders bloodline? I’ve had doges crack 30 a few times that I know of for sure, but have never seen that pop.

E: had a successful intrigue dialogue pop up telling me I had killed my father and nobody was the wiser, except I was playing as the father. Or had been.

Interestingly the official cause of death on the character screen was illness not murder, but that may have been because he was also sick at the time he was struck down by his drunk idiot son

Squinky v2.0 fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 25, 2020

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Major Isoor posted:

It's true. :shrug: Butchering children is merely the cost of doing business.

If babies didn't want to die so often maybe they could try and be harder to kill. :colbert:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I started a game last night at the 769 starting point as a Byzantine Duke, and even though the law was Agnatic-Cognatic Primogeniture and I had kids, the Baiselius was listed as my ducal heir. And then it turned out he was heir to every ducal title, as they all reverted to him as the starting crop of rulers died and then the whole thing bogged down into endless rebellion as me and every other pissed off now-Count kept trying to get our titles back from him.

Weird bug or is that how it's somehow supposed to work in 769?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

CapnAndy posted:

I started a game last night at the 769 starting point as a Byzantine Duke, and even though the law was Agnatic-Cognatic Primogeniture and I had kids, the Baiselius was listed as my ducal heir. And then it turned out he was heir to every ducal title, as they all reverted to him as the starting crop of rulers died and then the whole thing bogged down into endless rebellion as me and every other pissed off now-Count kept trying to get our titles back from him.

Your Ducal title was a viceroyalty, which reverts to the liege on succession. All of the Byz ducal titles start as viceroyalties.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, the Byzantine Empire now starts with duchy viceroyalty, to reflect that it was a much less feudal society than much of Western Europe. Playing as a vassal in the BE is tricky, you need to get your hands on a non-viceroyalty duchy title as soon as possible. Which likely means acquiring a duchy lying outside the empire.

That said, it sounds like the Basileus kept the duchy titles for himself? He's supposed to give them out as viceroyalties again, if he held them all personally, then something did go wrong in your game.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Torrannor posted:

That said, it sounds like the Basileus kept the duchy titles for himself? He's supposed to give them out as viceroyalties again, if he held them all personally, then something did go wrong in your game.
His nickname was 'the Evil'. Dude's a prick.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Torrannor posted:

Iirc, some traits just generate that behaviour, and the massive “too many duchy” maluses it would generate would certainly explain those endless rebellions (obviously helped by the residual claims). So it's not something the AI will automatically manage properly — it's just a mess that it's clever enough to avoid most of the time.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
When the ai hands out viceroyalties, it's always to someone with land in it. So if you personally hold all the counties in your duchy then you'll get the duchy back again after succession unless the emperor is a total dickwad.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
The trick as a strategos is either to get elected emperor or get enough land to form a despotate

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, by the way, could someone clarify what qualifies as murder, when it comes to forging a murder bloodline? i.e. will only assassination attempts count? If so, what about the cheap intrigue assassination attempts? I'm also hoping executing prisoners will count, although it seems unlikely

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Major Isoor posted:

Hey, by the way, could someone clarify what qualifies as murder, when it comes to forging a murder bloodline? i.e. will only assassination attempts count? If so, what about the cheap intrigue assassination attempts? I'm also hoping executing prisoners will count, although it seems unlikely

Literally anything that gets counted in the "kills" screen. This includes assassinations, executions, killing someone in duels or on the battlefield.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Literally anything that gets counted in the "kills" screen. This includes assassinations, executions, killing someone in duels or on the battlefield.

:getin: Even better! Time to forge 'the Dragon' bloodline, for the future Roman emperors to be descendants of.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Yeah murder bloodlines are not hard to forge, just get out there and war some infidels. Execute all prisoners.

Boom you’re a murder legend in like 5 years.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I'm really baffled that in my game the AI Germanic religion owns so much territory but STILL HASN'T REFORMED. It's 1300. Stop raiding, loving hell!
I can't even move through my territory easily with my armies because it's always full of random small armies stood around that smash a few up, it's so frustrating.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Alright so, I'm the king of Serbia (and I also own the bulk of the kingdom of Croatia) at the moment. If I swear fealty to the ERE/BE, will that ness with my de jure drift?
Since I'd like to absorb Croatia into Serbia if possible, so that I have a nice big core kingdom, for when I'm causing trouble in the empire. Since theoretically it should all be fine unless the emperor makes the Croatian title, right? And even then, unless he gives it to ME, it should be alright still...right?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I wasn't happy with that clusterfuck Byzantine start so I restarted and figured that if I was gonna go for SPQR I should go for What Schism? and the Count To X achievements too, so I restarted as an Indian count-equivalent. Now, admittedly, I haven't even gotten a ducal-equivalent title yet so maybe it gets better, but my first impression is that all the Indian culture and faith stuff is shockingly half-assed.

I'm in the same sort of feudal system that they're running on the other side of the world in Ireland. Diwali feasts are just feasts. Tiger hunts are interaction-free and you either find a tiger and get a minor boost for a year or you don't. Pilgrimmages are pilgrimmages (although at least they have their own places to go). The hindu societies are such naked reskins of the Benedictine/Dominican Orders and Lucifer's Own with a different religious_terms.xml that I can't even be bothered to learn whatever their proper names are. Choosing your patron deity is just picking a +1 stat with a -1 tradeoff in another stat. If castes affect anything besides who shows up in my people finder searches, I haven't noticed it yet.

Is there depth or unique mechanics I just haven't gotten to yet? I really want to be wrong about how disappointingly Catholic-in-brownface this all is.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Taear posted:

I'm really baffled that in my game the AI Germanic religion owns so much territory but STILL HASN'T REFORMED. It's 1300. Stop raiding, loving hell!
I can't even move through my territory easily with my armies because it's always full of random small armies stood around that smash a few up, it's so frustrating.

What's their moral authority at? The AI tends to be very bad at keeping it up.

Also even if they reform they will probably keep raiding.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

CapnAndy posted:

Is there depth or unique mechanics I just haven't gotten to yet? I really want to be wrong about how disappointingly Catholic-in-brownface this all is.

In theory, swapping between the three faiths could be useful, like spending some time Jain for... Whatever buffs that gives you, it's been a while since I touched India, then switching to Hindu for war time.

Otherwise, no, you pretty much have the right of it. You might be better off trying to reform Bon from the outside if you want more unique mechanics, catch yourself a Bon-ny lass and convert.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

My wife played this game exactly one time with me. She liked playing as a vassal and making sure all my commanders were married etc. then her character inherited the kingdom of Anatolia and she stopped cuz she didn’t want to be responsible for all that. Ambition is not in her genes I guess!!

your wife has the Content trait

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Are there any benefits, aside from challenging myself, to doing more of the Monarch's Journey challenges? I've already got all the points for the listed cosmetics. All I have left is all 3 of Harald Hardrade and ruling de jure Yemen for 100 years (60 years to go on that one.)

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Dareon posted:

Otherwise, no, you pretty much have the right of it. You might be better off trying to reform Bon from the outside if you want more unique mechanics, catch yourself a Bon-ny lass and convert.
Does Bon count as an Indian religion? I do want that achievement for "mending" the Great Schism.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

CapnAndy posted:

Does Bon count as an Indian religion? I do want that achievement for "mending" the Great Schism.

I think it's considered part of the pagan group so it wouldn't count for that achievement. It just has special relationships with the Indian religions in that it can intermarry without penalty.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Major Isoor posted:

Alright so, I'm the king of Serbia (and I also own the bulk of the kingdom of Croatia) at the moment. If I swear fealty to the ERE/BE, will that ness with my de jure drift?
Since I'd like to absorb Croatia into Serbia if possible, so that I have a nice big core kingdom, for when I'm causing trouble in the empire. Since theoretically it should all be fine unless the emperor makes the Croatian title, right? And even then, unless he gives it to ME, it should be alright still...right?

De jure drift will continue, yes. The only danger presented by the last scenario is that the title can end up in the hands of someone stronger than you in the mean time.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Tatsuta Age posted:

your wife has the Content trait

More like the Family focus and Diplomacy. Just building those relationships.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

No Pants posted:

De jure drift will continue, yes. The only danger presented by the last scenario is that the title can end up in the hands of someone stronger than you in the mean time.

I'm reasonably certain that the de jure drift will not continue if he swdars fealty to the ERE, since both Croatia and Serbia are de jure part of the Byzantine Empire.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

Torrannor posted:

I'm reasonably certain that the de jure drift will not continue if he swdars fealty to the ERE, since both Croatia and Serbia are de jure part of the Byzantine Empire.

Isn't Croatia part of the Carpathian de jure empire now?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

The Cheshire Cat posted:

What's their moral authority at? The AI tends to be very bad at keeping it up.

Also even if they reform they will probably keep raiding.

I don't think you can can you? I haven't got holy fury so they can't pick traits.

And you're right, it's loving 0. God dammit AI.

Interestingly the Empire of Hispania has now converted to Hindu and big tracts of Spain and Italy are now hindu. I really haven't got a loving clue how that's happened.
Witness the horror

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

super-redguy posted:

Isn't Croatia part of the Carpathian de jure empire now?

You're right, I forgot. I take back everything, it will continue to de jure drift :)

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Dareon posted:

In theory, swapping between the three faiths could be useful, like spending some time Jain for... Whatever buffs that gives you, it's been a while since I touched India, then switching to Hindu for war time.

I kind of hope they do a Monarch's Challenge in India.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

SirPhoebos posted:

I kind of hope they do a Monarch's Challenge in India.

I really wanted to do a Sunni in Persia invading India play through recently. I’m shopping around for good Sunnis in the 1080 start, anyone but gaznavids.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Problem: I wanna do the challenges for the sweet sweet cosmetics, but then I immediately get bored of CK2 and want CK3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Are good Catholic rulers supposed to burn Dominicans at the stake?

also I am actively making the map uglier: