Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Bussamove posted:

Hey, Penny 40 had plenty of it too. :v:

Penny is a constant variable, he sucks in every timeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

Alhazred posted:

Hell Penny is a Penny I wouldn't say sucks.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Fauxshiz posted:

Hell Penny is a Penny I wouldn't say sucks.

Dead Penny has given into this "woker than thou" attitude which is pretty annoying.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I think Summer Bishil is a powerhouse but I don't think she's the best actor/actress on the show in the same way Shatner isn't the best actor in TOS. I do think they lucked out in snagging the perfect "play to the back row" actress for the part though. I kind of want her to act with Fogg more, he's got the worldly gentleman bruiser thing going on.

I am starting to get annoyed at Alice though, her little girl lost schtick is getting "little girlier" and I swear she's doing a squeaky voice now.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Didn’t someone lose their shade to move the moon?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

I remember that scene too, and it wasn't resolved, was it?

Or did they change the terms of the deal somehow?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Josh Lyman posted:

Nope. Mayakovsky's daughter asked for one of their shades to help them remove the ward from the moon rock. They simply didn't take the deal, and Kady disguised herself as the daughter.

It was a little convoluted.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah it was a storytelling trick. They didn't tell us Kady was disguised as Mayakovsky's daughter so you're meant to assume they agreed to the deal and someone lost their shade or was gonna. Then you get the reveal of Kady and you realize that they told Mayakovsky's daughter to go screw herself and came up with their own plan. They were just being cute with the storytelling.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I got distracted starting a re-watch of the whole show. It's a lot of fun knowing where this all heads, but still getting sucked into the immediate drama as if I am worried about the outcome. To be fair, a lot of the outcomes are horrible so I'm right to dread them anyway.

Alhazred posted:

It's funny you say that, got to the part yesterday where he loses his hands because he couldn't not be an rear end in a top hat to the River Fella. Still, I hate him much less this time around. Often when he's being a dick it's kind of understandable, hell, even his hand-loss argument wasn't entirely without merit. Also given how much Magic fucks him over, a lot of his attitude is really reasonable.

On the other hand, I'm re-remembering how much I really hated Julia, which always hurts because a lot of truly horrible things go down for her storylines.... I want to feel empathy for her, but in-show she is just constantly doing maddening things to the party. I think the tipping point is even after all the crap she does with saving and working with The Beast, like, okay, horrible trauma and Reynard is understandably her primary concern, whatever, still don't like it, but can find it to not condemn her for it. But when she rips off Penny's second control-bracelet, just out of malice, is when I'm like "gently caress you, I really just hate you right now." I feel like they do eventually have her come around to being likable again, but right now I can't recall how and I'm too caught up in my frustrations to imagine it. Really odd choice show-wise to lump all this crap on her but then also have her in an antagonist role. Curious how that is in the books or not, IIRC book-Julia is quite different, maybe even amoral or sociopathic? Maybe I'm remembering readers' snark as character qualities though.

Fav thing about rewatches are the little Elliot and Q moments, there have been seeds for their relationship all along! Were people shipping or speculating about them back in season 1 times? edit: OH wait, that discussion is actually in this same thread it seems. Surprised this show only has 75 pages for it' entire run!? Goons make 75 pages of Trek chat on a slow day.

edit2: gently caress it, I'm roleplaying through history.

Oasx posted:

I really disliked it, they rushed through what is arguably the best part of the three books and left a terrible mess of the story. If it was a two episode mini series then i could sort of understand it, why rush through everything when you have 12 episodes to fill?
Making Quentin some sort of special saviour goes against everything the story is about, and the scene at the start of the episode was really dumb. The one thing i did like was the "monster" at the end, i am not sure why they chose moths instead of a leaf, and the eyes were silly. But they perfectly nailed the feeling of an entity that is so much more powerful than anything else in the room, and the magic gestures were amazing.
I will check out the second episode, but i can't imagine it will be any better.

The first time I watched the show I was blown away with how much BS they cut through and just got to the chase. Even getting to the school in the episode impressed me, and in retrospect the speed they move with does feel necessary. SO often a season has what could be a season finale just a few episodes in, one thing I love about the show is their willingness to make finale-tier moves that are midseason and afterwards poo poo changes drastically, then they keep going with these new circumstances with as much time to breathe as the characters have to adapt. Spiler: Poster Oasx was a book fan who did not enjoy the changes in adaptation and seems to have stopped watching after Season 1's end. They wanted season 1 to be much, much, much, much, slower. Like, barely getting into Brakebills first semester stuff in the whole season lol

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 24, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I always liked Penny and Julia. Yes, they were both being assholes but everyone was an rear end in a top hat and both had like heaping piles of poo poo laid on them. Julia was being victimized 7 different ways and Penny was barely trying to stay sane and alive, so they were kind of dicks. I was invested in their journeys and struggles and pulling for them to get to a place where they could ask for help and heal.

I don't like Penny 23 though. I have no history with him and I feel like he's some kind of imposter. I'm glad Julia dumped him. The whole relationship was weird.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I agree. Bring back original Penny and Kady, yes I am too invested in something that ended way long ago

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

I always liked Penny and Julia. Yes, they were both being assholes but everyone was an rear end in a top hat and both had like heaping piles of poo poo laid on them. Julia was being victimized 7 different ways and Penny was barely trying to stay sane and alive, so they were kind of dicks. I was invested in their journeys and struggles and pulling for them to get to a place where they could ask for help and heal.

I don't like Penny 23 though. I have no history with him and I feel like he's some kind of imposter. I'm glad Julia dumped him. The whole relationship was weird.

Yeah Penny 23 is a trip, I was really surprised he got pulled in permanently. At the time, I was like, okay fine, I don't want Penny-less show but as time goes on we have a Pennyless show.

I straight up don't remember original Kady being replaced.

Oasx posted:

At its heart The Magicians is a pretty depressing book and a big part of that is finding out that magic is not just waving a wand and saying a few words, but a tough and gruelling process. So far the series just seems like a generic low budget fantasy show with pretty people, all the flavour is gone.

Sorry for the old-take replies, if it's annoying I'll stop. This post stuck out because I think the show actually does do a good job showing that magic is hard to do, and that it often comes with a horrible price. We often have characters who just aren't good enough to pull off this or that and it's the more studious or stronger characters who must do it, or they find some way for weaker folks to do similar things.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 24, 2020

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

It has been a while since I watched the early seasons, but didn’t Penny have the Beast in his head harassing him for basically all his life? Having dealt with chronic pain that lasted years before, I sort of feel him. That sort of unrelenting torment tends to result in dickish behavior and goes a long way toward explaining his constant exasperation with everything.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think the Beast was relatively recent after coming to Brakebills, but he might've had to struggle with passive mind-shouting his whole life?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Loucks posted:

It has been a while since I watched the early seasons, but didn’t Penny have the Beast in his head harassing him for basically all his life? Having dealt with chronic pain that lasted years before, I sort of feel him. That sort of unrelenting torment tends to result in dickish behavior and goes a long way toward explaining his constant exasperation with everything.

Yeah. Not to mention like everyone else's poo poo in his head including like racist poo poo and God knows what. It was repeatedly said how Penny basically had spent his whole life self medicating and pushing people away just to keep voices out of his head. And that's before we got to "the Beast was trying to get him to kill himself."

Khanstant posted:

I think the Beast was relatively recent after coming to Brakebills, but he might've had to struggle with passive mind-shouting his whole life?

I think Penny said he had heard the voice his whole life. It just amped up around the time of Brakebills and when the moment of truth was coming.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'll take your word over mine, I am not good-memoried person... and I watched season 1 for the second time two days ago.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, that one hadouken he threw is like the sole sign they've given that Quentin can do any magic that Criss Angel couldn't probably pull off. When every episode has Julia learning new stuff, Alice doing all kinds of stuff naturally, and Penny discovering brand new life ruining powers Quentin really stands out as the guy who doesn't seem to belong.

Its also what makes me not like him at all for the Julia stuff because from our perspective it really does seem like she got a lovely deal due to flawed standardized testing or something. Because she sure seems to be kicking Quentin's rear end in the learning department. But there he is still holding over her that he was accepted into the school and she wasn't so he's just better. That would be obnoxious under any circumstances but when the whole thing was started with the idea that Quentin is "chosen" for some reason so he was gonna get in anyway it just feels like the guy born with a silver spoon making GBS threads on the genuine overachiever.

I suspect you book people are going to be miserable if you can't let go of expectations and see this as an alternative take. If they're burning through things as fast as you guys say then the only logical conclusion to me is that they really have no intention to keep the show to the books. Maybe it will take until Season 2 or 3 (if it lasts) but I'm sure like most shows SyFy would love this thing to be a hit and go as long as it can be worthwhile and whatever direction they want to. It just seems like the nature of adapting a book to TV unless you committed to it being a mini-series.

You got the good takes in this history dive, it's really curious to see the book-readers freaking out about so much stuff that now seems super duper irrelevant and unimportant. Though I think season 1 is the weakest season overall, so some of it does have merit.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Thinking back to that its funny that Julia wasn't screwed over by "standardized testing" but rather because Jane and Fogg just genuinely hosed her over. To the show's credit I've always appreciated that Dean Fogg felt like poo poo about that and kept going out of his way to try and make it up to her and protect her from further poo poo.

I still stand by the opinion that Quentin was a garbage friend and lovely person for ignoring her and telling her she wasn't good enough. She sucked too at times but Quentin could have avoided a lot of it if he had been a better friend. And again, I'm glad when they finally made up they dealt with that double sided responsabilty of their falling out.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

I still stand by the opinion that Quentin was a garbage friend and lovely person for ignoring her and telling her she wasn't good enough.

Considering that Julia almost lobotomized him, I'd say that they're even.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It never should have got there. But again, credit to the show and Quentin that he eventually figured that out and took his part of the responsibility. Its a testament to his character and the show that by the time he died I not only didn't hate him but actually felt bad.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Khanstant posted:

I straight up don't remember original Kady being replaced.
Sorry I wasn't clear, afaik she wasn't replaced. I mean I want original Penny and I want him to be with Kady again. I think that early relationship vibe was so good, where it was casual and they were both kind of dgaf and untrusting, and then changing as they had to figure out how to actually work together and give a poo poo.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

It never should have got there. But again, credit to the show and Quentin that he eventually figured that out and took his part of the responsibility. Its a testament to his character and the show that by the time he died I not only didn't hate him but actually felt bad.

Julia made him think he was mentally ill again and forced him to relive a traumatic experience, but then again Quentin was too busy with magic school to hang with her so I guess he had it coming.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

STAC Goat posted:

My whole life I was told I was special and that I was going o do things that would be very important. And none of that happened and I've just sort of lurched through life. And that's really what QUentin was in the show and why I love his arc so much. He finds out his super special power is basically putting garbage back together and he's able to use that tiny, worthless power to help save the world.

It gives me hope that my worthless, sad little life might actually amount to something someday.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Alhazred posted:

Julia made him think he was mentally ill again and forced him to relive a traumatic experience, but then again Quentin was too busy with magic school to hang with her so I guess he had it coming.

I never said he had it coming, nor did I deny that it was a terrible thing to do. I said Quentin took his part in the responsibility, because obviously Julia had a part in it too.

But Quentin ignored his best friend who had helped him through his own troubles when he knew she was going through a terrible thing and was in a low place herself and berated her that she's not special and was just jealous of him. Quentin was a loving prick.

Then Julia was a loving prick and escalated poo poo. Dual responsibility.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

I never said he had it coming, nor did I deny that it was a terrible thing to do. I said Quentin took his part in the responsibility, because obviously Julia had a part in it too.

But Quentin ignored his best friend who had helped him through his own troubles when he knew she was going through a terrible thing and was in a low place herself and berated her that she's not special and was just jealous of him. Quentin was a loving prick.

Then Julia was a loving prick and escalated poo poo. Dual responsibility.

Julia violated Quentin, Quentin ignored Julia. Those two things are not comparable at all. There is no dual responsibility here.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Alhazred posted:

Julia violated Quentin, Quentin ignored Julia. Those two things are not comparable at all. There is no dual responsibility here.

I'm not minimizing Julia's actions. What Julia did was terrible and the character and show registered that immediately and showed Julia working through her dual guilt and anger while in rehab. But before any of that happened we watched like half a season of Quentin being a self absorbed, dismissive, petty dick and that's why I didn't like him.

And to both character's credits when they finally made up they both apologized for their parts and didn't get hung up on petty arguments of who was more to blame or who hurt who more. Which was mature growth for both characters.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

STAC Goat posted:

I still stand by the opinion that Quentin was a garbage friend and lovely person for ignoring her and telling her she wasn't good enough. She sucked too at times but Quentin could have avoided a lot of it if he had been a better friend. And again, I'm glad when they finally made up they dealt with that double sided responsabilty of their falling out.

I really loved that the show tells you from the very beginning that they are Childhood Friends, which is this vaunted precious thing in fiction, but then what you see in practice through the first season is two people who have grown apart and mostly treat each other badly. It's another cool facet of how the show deconstructs fantasy tropes and made their relationship feel very genuine after they reconciled later.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

If I remember correctly, Marina wasn't quite honest with Julia about what exactly she was doing with Quentin.

I like Penny, but I feel like the show (or book) gave themselves a Hiro from Heroes problem in that he is too powerful for the plot and so he has to constantly be sidelined with bad hands or the library or now.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Oh yeah, they did their absolute best to avoid him using his mind-reading powers.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Eltoasto posted:

I like Penny, but I feel like the show (or book) gave themselves a Hiro from Heroes problem in that he is too powerful for the plot and so he has to constantly be sidelined with bad hands or the library or now.

It's on the show not the books. Book Penny is basically Quentin Quire without the power or hands.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Eltoasto posted:

If I remember correctly, Marina wasn't quite honest with Julia about what exactly she was doing with Quentin.

She knew she was going to manipulate Q's mind to make him believe his mental problems had returned.

STAC Goat posted:

But before any of that happened we watched like half a season of Quentin being a self absorbed, dismissive, petty dick and that's why I didn't like him.
It was more or less implied that that was how Julia had been towards Quentin before magic school.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
So this is loving hilarious, and uh, not technically a spoiler but I wouldn't read this if I didn't want to be spoiled about where this season is going: Sir Effingham, the questing pig introduced this season, is played by Sean McGuire. The Dark King, introduced two episodes later, is also played by Sean McGuire. He's not only behind the Fillory Taker conflict, he's orchestrating the prophecy to defeat him as well.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I may have missed it but have the takers killed anyone? Is the Dark King a murderer?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
They've taken people that have never been seen again. They might not be killing them and they'll be a reveal that they're dropping them off on Earth or something.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Open Source Idiom posted:

So this is loving hilarious, and uh, not technically a spoiler but I wouldn't read this if I didn't want to be spoiled about where this season is going: Sir Effingham, the questing pig introduced this season, is played by Sean McGuire. The Dark King, introduced two episodes later, is also played by Sean McGuire. He's not only behind the Fillory Taker conflict, he's orchestrating the prophecy to defeat him as well.

having the same actor play two different roles is also sometimes used to hide character deaths

like, have the actor play a random unrecognizable bit in a later episode so they are on the credits to hide their main character dying in an earlier episode

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Thinking back to that its funny that Julia wasn't screwed over by "standardized testing" but rather because Jane and Fogg just genuinely hosed her over. To the show's credit I've always appreciated that Dean Fogg felt like poo poo about that and kept going out of his way to try and make it up to her and protect her from further poo poo.

I still stand by the opinion that Quentin was a garbage friend and lovely person for ignoring her and telling her she wasn't good enough. She sucked too at times but Quentin could have avoided a lot of it if he had been a better friend. And again, I'm glad when they finally made up they dealt with that double sided responsibility of their falling out.

Yeah, I do like how they eventually came to reckon to some degree for their parts. They were both being sub-optimal to one another, but that was also the crux of our initial timeline that it got so extreme. Seeds for a not-great relationship there, but exacerbated by her rejection. I assume in some other timelines, things go quite differently. Probably at least one where they get shipped? It was kind of "gently caress with Julia day" timeline and it turns out Julia fucks back, hard, but in the end it does save that loop. But yeah, admitting fault when someone's hurt you deeply is one of those "ah poo poo, I'm growing as a real adult person" moments.

Anne Whateley posted:

Sorry I wasn't clear, afaik she wasn't replaced. I mean I want original Penny and I want him to be with Kady again. I think that early relationship vibe was so good, where it was casual and they were both kind of dgaf and untrusting, and then changing as they had to figure out how to actually work together and give a poo poo.

Ah, yeah, I definitely wish they had at least a little time to explore their relationship, instead of like, "sold myself 2 library, luv ya babe" and their happiness is always shadowed by his upcoming eternal servitude. loving Library.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Oh yeah, they did their absolute best to avoid him using his mind-reading powers.

I just try and tell myself that basically every magician who can rub two poppers together would be able to shield themselves. I know that I don't believe in psychic powers or magic, yet I get paranoid about it sometimes and have developed my own wards just in case.

Season 3 quote I like: "I know that you're hurting, but I don't know what to say to make you feel better." "It's okay, I don't really want to feel better anyway." Know that feelin.

I'm also noticing how Penny and Margot both get royally-hosed lesson in etiquette. Penny rude to the river man, Margot rude to the faerie diplomat. Both disproportionately punished! Speaking of faeries, why are they cool with the wellspring being poo poo? They have their own source of power?

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 26, 2020

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Eternal? I thought it was only a couple billion years.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Okay, fine, I think it was actually "just" a million years when she first proposes the deal. However, between Time working however it wants in different realms, the tricksiness of Librarians, and lack of a contract written for us to explicitly read, billions might as well be it. Then again, if it's any finite timeline, wouldn't the "finally free" Penny be able to pop back to our show timeline with all the knowledge of a billions-year old magician studying the deepest secrets of it? Maybe not since he'd deffo be dead and getting out of underworld is a mess.

I'm on the episode rn where Q and Julia go to the afterlife to get her shade back. It's an interesting contrast to The Good Place, that's for sure.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 26, 2020

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, IIRC the Library's frozen in time to stop it from falling into a black hole. The only way its inhabitants can age is if they leave (hence Zelda being younger than her daughter). Even a one week contract with the Library is going to be a long one if you can't get off-campus.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Khanstant posted:

I know that I don't believe in psychic powers or magic, yet I get paranoid about it sometimes and have developed my own wards just in case.

I’m not going to question your sanity here, but in exchange I demand that you provide details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I just finished Episode 6 and needed to make this for y'all.
https://i.imgur.com/mScz7H9.gifv

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 26, 2020