Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't know how it's supposed to work but I just plug my 1098-T into Tax Slayer and I get 800 bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
I can get an extra grand of free money by filling out my taxes this year? that's pretty tempting.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Follow up - you can use the post 9/11 GI Bill and get unemployment in California. You can also go kind of crazy trying to figure the gently caress out what's going on with naming compounds in chemistry. Namaste.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Chem is cool and good. :colbert:

The Aardvark fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Feb 17, 2020

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I hear good things about organic chem classes. You should try that.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

like eightish weeks of grad school left and i want to throttle the profs some days but we're almost there

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

My stab at o.chem was the thing that made me start thinking maybe being a doctor wasn't for me.

Kinda sucks the post-apocalyptic bandit hordes probably won't have much use for a compliance monkey, though.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I'm just in intro now since they don't let me go straight to gen chem :( I'm looking forward to O-chem, can't be that bad. This stuff is making sense, it just involves more work than I want to do since my last job had no standards and no performance marks to hit. I'm out of practice.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Intro to chemistry was ok, but it sucks that you have to take it. They should just make it be Chemistry for arts majors or something and let engineering and science majors go straight to chemistry. At least at my school, Chemistry was just all the same stuff as intro to chemistry but it goes slightly more in depth.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Yeah it sucks because it literally pushes my entire timeline out a semester. I already have degrees so I can only take classes applicable to a degree program so if I'm doing pre-med stuff I'll literally be making up my units for full time benefits by taking every math and physics course I can towards the end. I mean not the worst outcome since I get to go learn, but still kind of "what the gently caress"

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I’m so loving glad I somehow got away without any college level chemistry, good grief. My brain doesn’t work that way.

I think they’re generally pre-requisites for a lot of programs now. Intro level, but still a nah from me

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Intro level chem stuff isn't too bad, basic math drills with a dash of "And this is how the molecules work so that's why you're doing this math."

I never actually took organic chem just looked at other people's books/homework and gently caress that stuff. Everything goes sideways and the rules are "gently caress I don't know just remember this under these conditions"

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

you lost me at math

Y’all privileged folks don’t know what it’s like to have a non-math brain

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

you lost me at math

loving this right here.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

you lost me at math

Same.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There's no such thing as a math brain. The only reason why you're not good at math is because you keep telling yourself you aren't.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 18, 2020

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
There's no such thing as a math brain, but some people have an easier time squashing their brain into a math shape than others

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop with this combined orgo/biochem class. Like come on, there HAS to be a point this semester where I suddenly go from keeping pace to so far underwater I can't see the surface.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That was me in circuits. I went from "this poo poo is easy, I know this from physics" to failing the second test because I thought I didn't really need to study. Then to spending the rest of the semester underwater with AC poo poo and eventually I barely got a B in the class.

warsow
Jun 28, 2009
I think this was talked about by Vas a while back but whats the verdict here on honors societies?

I can get behind program or discipline specific, but I have a hard time justifying joining one specific to transfer students.

I feel like as a ~”resume builder”~ it just another way to show your GPA and that you had some beer money to spare, which I feel like I would be better off spending it on the beer.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

warsow posted:

I think this was talked about by Vas a while back but whats the verdict here on honors societies?

I can get behind program or discipline specific, but I have a hard time justifying joining one specific to transfer students.

I feel like as a ~”resume builder”~ it just another way to show your GPA and that you had some beer money to spare, which I feel like I would be better off spending it on the beer.
Yeah, that sounds like scam. I got invitations to join a few of those and any of them that wants me couldn't be that exclusive.

warsow
Jun 28, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

Yeah, that sounds like scam. I got invitations to join a few of those and any of them that wants me couldn't be that exclusive.

My thoughts exactly

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
I just broke 80 days! :woop:

I'm so close to graduation I can taste it. It tastes like glue and wood pulp.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Non-professional honors societies are basically worthless. Professional ones aren't that much better, but it depends on your field and experience.

If I have two identical candidates (meaning they're both fresh grads and so on) and one has an honor's society and the other doesn't, I'll probably opt for the one with.

But that's it, the chances of someone going "gently caress me! Alpha Kappa Delta Honor's Society?! we gotta hire them!" is basically zero.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I joined the eight-year old tradition of Tau Delta Whatever the gently caress Transfer Student Honor Society because the pure notion of me joining an honor society was a good enough joke to basically spend $45 on a t-shirt

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

And yeah I got curious, and yep

https://salute.colostate.edu/

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

BigDave posted:

I just broke 80 days! :woop:

I'm so close to graduation I can taste it. It tastes like glue and wood pulp.

I nominate the day that you calculate that there is literally no grade that can keep you from graduating as one of The Great Feels (tm).

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Korea loving kicks rear end, y'all. Eating so much street meat. Had a grilled lobster tail with fresh mozzerella on it just as a snack. I'll make it up to my butthole when I get back.

Got an email from one of the professors who isn't on or involved in this trip, to let us know our midterm was active, then had the gall to say "enjoy your trip!"

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I nominate the day that you calculate that there is literally no grade that can keep you from graduating as one of The Great Feels (tm).

I remember sitting down in the hallway before one of my finals and deciding that if I went home right then and didn't even bother, I'd still get a C in the class.

Took some of the pressure off.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I get that feeling every semester because I do that with every class

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

McNally posted:

I remember sitting down in the hallway before one of my finals and deciding that if I went home right then and didn't even bother, I'd still get a C in the class.

Took some of the pressure off.

This is a great feeling too

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Have you tried lighting incense and praying to the Omnissiah?
I can't wait for that day to come. It would be happening around December had the state not decided to move the goalposts and give me the option to have a bachelor's degree without transferring.
I can't wait for the day when I can come home from my job and do nothing without feeling guilty.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Are any of you cool chemistry cats down to answer questions from a vet who is trying to learn this stuff, but inhaled burning trash and got micro-concussions from machine guns? Just like super basic stuff, I have a decent handle on the material but now and again an obvious piece is not clicking and I am so stoked on the instruction I'm asking here. Namaste.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What are you having trouble with

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

How many grams of an ionic compound contains X amount of atoms of an element in the compound

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

maffew buildings posted:

How many grams of an ionic compound contains X amount of atoms of an element in the compound

I'm assuming its like this

I have 10 moles of chlorine from calcium chloride. How much calcium chloride do I have?

If so, the formula is CaCl2, so for every mole of calcium you have two moles of chlorine.

So with 10 moles chlorine:

10mol Cl x 35.45g/mol Cl

5mol Ca x 40.08g/mol Ca

Add up for ~554.9 grams of CaCl2

Of course use your sigfigs

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Yeah I thought along those lines and keep up getting WTF, here's the problem

How many grams Al(NO3)3 contain 3.22x10^22 nitrogen atoms? The answer is given (3.80g) but I can not for the life of me get there. The molar mass of Al(NO3)3 is 213

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
3.22E22/6.02E23 is .0535 moles of nitrogen. Divide by 3 to account for the 3 nitrogens, you get .01783 moles of the Al(NO3)3. Times that by 213 and you get 3.79.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Well that makes more sense. So I was running 3.22x10^22/6.022x10^23 then multiplying by 213 and trying to figure out the g of N via the percent comp of N3 in the molar mass. Thank you.

Ok so what I was doing (.0535 x 213g) came out to 11.4. If I divide that by 3 to account for the 3 nitrogen I get 3.8g. Is that another way to do this and I was just missing that last step, or am I just having fun with numbers and that's a happy coincidence?

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

If you multiplied by 213, just had to divide by 3 since 3 nitrogen. Just a manipulation of the order of steps is all.