Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I like the way game boxes look on my shelf. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

This one's Digital for me too. I'm gonna play it every day for the next few years, I ain't changing game carts every day.

Areola Grande
Jan 2, 2015

it's a free country u pervs
call me a fool for loving cartridges, but I need a tangible game so I can nuzzle it and whisper to it that it's naughty

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

prepuce repurposed posted:

call me a fool for loving cartridges, but I need a tangible game so I can nuzzle it and whisper to it that it's naughty

Same. As great as steam and digital copies are there's something great about having a real copy. Wish that most boxes came with maps and the like as they used to. :corsair:

Areola Grande
Jan 2, 2015

Instruction manuals smelled good :negative:

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

dont nuzzle it too hard, they still are coated in taste bad chemical.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Instruction manuals smelled good :negative:

They did. At least the new game case smell still exists...

Areola Grande
Jan 2, 2015

I guess we should relish the smell of new Chinese plastic before the analog age ends altogether :

https://www.polygon.com/2020/2/19/21132128/gamestop-employees-report-extreme-pressure-desperate-bosses

Areola Grande
Jan 2, 2015

in happier news, we're getting a new animal crossing in less than one lunar month and it's going to ownnnn

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Would you believe that Gamestop is not the only store that sells video games?

Areola Grande
Jan 2, 2015

I'd love nothing more than to see the return of local mom n pop shops instead

Areola Grande
Jan 2, 2015

This thread is pure gold. Let's keep it that way

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Re-Tail gets bought out by Nook Inc., their identity painted over.

We paved Paradise and put up a Nookling Lot.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

OK, so after listening, I think the 1AM song on the original GameCube soundtrack is the best. But I might have to listen to all of them again repeatedly just to make sure.

It's really good music for coding, which I would not have expected.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Please consider:

Ready to chill with my best bud and also all y'all.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Re-Tail gets bought out by Nook Inc., their identity painted over.

We paved Paradise and put up a Nookling Lot.

But on the other hand, on this island, there once were Nookling Lots, but now it’s a peaceful oasis.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

New commercials!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qu_Omnyogw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_DQ4VSdEBc

Both very cute!

But the first one has an amazing reveal: you can play the ocarina! Playable instruments.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

How many DAL colors have we seen? Is it selectable or random? I might have to restart a bunch if I want red...

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I guess we should relish the smell of new Chinese plastic before the analog age ends altogether :

https://www.polygon.com/2020/2/19/21132128/gamestop-employees-report-extreme-pressure-desperate-bosses

I am shocked, shocked!, that a company whose sole business plan was to resell used games at a several hundred percent margin is having trouble in an age of digital sales and people just swapping used games on Reddit.

I'll be buying this day one from my local used game store, but it ain't like they doing so hot either.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

So in case anyone was wondering about the villagers that aren't in New Horizons, according to Nookipedia, we have...

- 43 villagers that haven't shown up since the Gamecube Animal Crossing
- 29 villagers from Doubutsu No Mori E+, the japan-only expanded release of the GameCube AC that was basically the NA version re-translated back to Japanese with new features (some villagers introduced in this game showed up again for everyone later, these 29 did not)
- Champ the Monkey from Wild World and City Folk, the only villager that has this distinction
- The eight special Amiibo villagers from New Leaf's Welcome Amiibo update (W. Link, Medli, Epona, Ganon, Inkwell, Cece, Viche, Felyne)
- The six Sanrio villagers from New Leaf's Welcome Amiibo update (Chai, Chelsea, Marty, Rilla, Toby, Étoile)
- Two Japan-only collab villagers from Happy Home Designer (Filly and Holden)

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Eiba posted:

New commercials!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qu_Omnyogw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_DQ4VSdEBc

Both very cute!

But the first one has an amazing reveal: you can play the ocarina! Playable instruments.

People noticed that during the direct or one of the videos and I'm glad it's an actual tool and not some furniture.

odd of them to give us a tool capable of time travel though.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Theres a mom and pop store near me that mostly sells retro stuff, its infinitely better than Gamestop and no one asks me to sign up for poo poo.

Areola Grande
Jan 2, 2015

Elderbean posted:

Theres a mom and pop store near me that mostly sells retro stuff, its infinitely better than Gamestop and no one asks me to sign up for poo poo.

that sounds heavenly

Areola Grande
Jan 2, 2015

Color Printer posted:

So in case anyone was wondering about the villagers that aren't in New Horizons, according to Nookipedia, we have...

- 29 villagers from Doubutsu No Mori E+, the japan-only expanded release of the GameCube AC that was basically the NA version re-translated back to Japanese with new features (some villagers introduced in this game showed up again for everyone later, these 29 did not)
- Champ the Monkey from Wild World and City Folk, the only villager that has this distinction
- The eight special Amiibo villagers from New Leaf's Welcome Amiibo update (W. Link, Medli, Epona, Ganon, Inkwell, Cece, Viche, Felyne)
- The six Sanrio villagers from New Leaf's Welcome Amiibo update (Chai, Chelsea, Marty, Rilla, Toby, Étoile)

struck with the sudden reverie of these all on my private beach sippin n fishin :allears:

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I’m trading in some copies of physical games of Switch games I don’t play anymore for store credit, please pray for me. (I would just send them to Amazon, but they don’t have a preorder bonus, and that poster is cute enough for a dumb sales pitch.)

Also, when they do inevitably close stores, it would probably be a really bad person who would take some of the heavily discounted merchandise and flip it on Amazon; I know I certainly didn’t do that with Blockbuster while the employees were being forced to try to sell yearly subscriptions with their job on the line if they didn’t lie and say they would be valid for the whole year. (What a friend who worked there told me she was forced to do at the time before they fired her.)

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I just re-read through The Animal Crossing LP and god it fits so well with New Horizons that I can't help but laugh.

"It's a loving island?" indeed.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

I don't know what to name my new town. :ohdear:

If anyone remembers, I ran Jamabo, the DLC-duping factory back in ACNL, but now that I'll be sharing my town with my roommate, we gotta compromise.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Color Printer posted:

i went through this list and found that iggy, one of my absolute favorite villagers, is only in the very first animal crossing game. this greatly displeases me.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

That's a downer but it's not in the least bit surprising. I pre-ordered online with delivery, and I haven't been into a GameStop more than maybe a handful of times in years. I know I went in to pick up breath of the wild after I got my switch and it was one lady behind the counter and two dudes really awkwardly hanging out checking her out and then eyeing me with daggers when I was talking with her about BoTW and ... now that I think about it, this game coming out eventually. I kinda feel bad for her if the only customers in there for who knows how long were awkward nerds that were creeping on her.

To get back on track I can't decide if I want to have my house within or separate of the town I want to build. If I go for within then I don't have to run far to meet up with villagers or shops, but if I go outside of town I can be closer to trees and such.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Yoshi Jjang posted:

Well, you can't have Buttburg, 'cause that's mine!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Yoshi Jjang posted:

all my animal crossing villages in all the games have been named after towns in morrowind

i think i'm going with dagon fel this time, if the name will fit

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

All this customization would have been nice when I was a teenager trying to make a dick village.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

dragon_pamcake posted:

I just hope there's enough retro furnitre to recreate the island from The Prisoner.

I am not a friend code, I am a free man!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
If only there was a way to replace your water with magma for a proper volcano lair.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So have gyroids not shown up anywhere in the previews so far? My little sister is freaking out that they won't be a thing and I don't have any evidence to actually say they are still around.

Elderbean posted:

All this customization would have been nice when I was a teenager trying to make a dick village.

Now you're an adult and can make a much more elaborate, detailed dick joke though.

vanisher
Jul 12, 2005

Fun Shoe

Internet Kraken posted:

So have gyroids not shown up anywhere in the previews so far? My little sister is freaking out that they won't be a thing and I don't have any evidence to actually say they are still around.

There are screenshots of gyroids taking donations for improvements

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I'm guessing it's safe to assume a lot of "missing" villagers, as well as a bunch of new ones probably, will get added after release. This is the team that made Splatoon 2, they literally just jammed the game full of updates until Nintendo made them stop.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Internet Kraken posted:

Now that you can put stuff outside, ok hoping I can make a haunted gyroid forest

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

tote up a bags posted:

I'm guessing it's safe to assume a lot of "missing" villagers, as well as a bunch of new ones probably, will get added after release. This is the team that made Splatoon 2, they literally just jammed the game full of updates until Nintendo made them stop.

I didn't even think of that -- I'd be pleased as hell if this game gets the amount of periodical love that Splatoon 2 did. If they go hard enough with items/clothing/furniture/pattern additions, I'd even pay for it. I do hope it's a little more complete than Splatoon 2 was at launch, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

tote up a bags posted:

Are they really gonna add more when the base game already has 383 villagers?