Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
what's a good modpack for casual stardew-like hanging out with my wife but with room for me to go nuts and optimize something silly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I'm still looking for a direct pointer to a modpack that fits what I was asking about earlier, too.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I wish minecraft looked like this normally.

what is that using??

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Impermanent posted:

what's a good modpack for casual stardew-like hanging out with my wife but with room for me to go nuts and optimize something silly

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3909606 ?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Impermanent posted:

what is that using??

thats morrowind with shader mods

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

thats morrowind with shader mods

lol no it isn't, Morrowind isn't that blocky. :P

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Black Pants posted:

lol no it isn't, Morrowind isn't that blocky. :P

Is there a mod to fix that?

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
Rebirth of the Night has a fun concept, but ultimately gave up on it because it kinda (greatly) pushes me to build a base underground or high in the sky due to mobs' ability to dig. I prefer bases with more form than function. And the base defense mods are expensive, like 7 iron ingots for a single barbed wire block.

I might give MC.eternal a try. I'll disable battle towers for sure, though.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Mobs that can nerdpole/tunnel have never been fun.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Is there a particular reason to hate battle towers or is it just that they are kinda ugly and samey?

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Battle towers aren't fun to fight the intended way, but big packs often have some sort of fun way around it that lets you eventually rake in the loot easily. The Dimensional Sword from dimdoors lets you trap the golem in a pocket dimension and seal it away forever.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Eox posted:

Battle towers aren't fun to fight the intended way, but big packs often have some sort of fun way around it that lets you eventually rake in the loot easily. The Dimensional Sword from dimdoors lets you trap the golem in a pocket dimension and seal it away forever.

Not seeing the problem here :pcgaming:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Light Gun Man posted:

Is there a particular reason to hate battle towers or is it just that they are kinda ugly and samey?

there are much better mods out there now if you want dungeons with loot in them with minecraft

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

President Ark posted:

there are much better mods out there now if you want dungeons with loot in them with minecraft

I can agree with that, sure. That pack has probably 4 or5 other dungeon mods in there too? Towers ain't the best for sure but unless it's like actively destroying tickrates or something I don't see it as a big problem :shrug:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Light Gun Man posted:

I can agree with that, sure. That pack has probably 4 or5 other dungeon mods in there too? Towers ain't the best for sure but unless it's like actively destroying tickrates or something I don't see it as a big problem :shrug:

they're incredibly ugly and samey

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Devalues my property value seeing them in my skyline :argh:

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Sage Grimm posted:

Devalues my property value seeing them in my skyline :argh:

There's a thing called TNT. Alternatively I'm sure there's a few quarry mods you can use on it.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

SugarAddict posted:

There's a thing called TNT.
I get that this is just a smartass answer but anyone who has actually used TNT in any capacity let alone in survival mode knows it's a bad way to clear an outstanding object of any significant size, let alone an enormous tower, unless a bunch of floating blocks scattered all over the place is your idea of a clean skyline.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

nothing cleans a skyline up like abyssalcraft's bomb.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

President Ark posted:

they're incredibly ugly and samey

same

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Vib Rib posted:

I get that this is just a smartass answer but anyone who has actually used TNT in any capacity let alone in survival mode knows it's a bad way to clear an outstanding object of any significant size, let alone an enormous tower, unless a bunch of floating blocks scattered all over the place is your idea of a clean skyline.

This is modded minecraft, us a Nuke.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Impermanent posted:

what is that using??

Just one of the fancy shader packs you can get, and the John Smith texture pack.

Probably Sildur's I think?

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/best-minecraft-shaders/

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Rutibex posted:

This is modded minecraft, use a Nuke Overloaded Draconic Reactor

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Just make a decent tinker's hammer and tear it down yourself and level said hammer up doing so.

Or build something that laser-deletes all blocks or whatever. There's plenty of solutions.

But yes they aren't exactly the best dungeons, it's not like I actively want them there either.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
The battletowers are boring looking but it's a straight forward fight your way to the top early game challenge. I don't think they are as aggressively ugly as the dungeon mod that just spams hundreds of squarish brick rooms across the landscape (possibly Doomlike Dungeons?). Normally they are underground but will randomly be sicking out of the side of a mountain or covering the bottom of a lake.
There was one in Enigmatica 2 Expert that generated huge interesting structures like pyramids but the interior was just super skinny hallway mazes with random small spawner rooms.

Roguelike Dungeons is by far the best dungeon mod I've played so far.

Vib Rib posted:

They are supposed to level themselves to the ground once you kill the boss at the top. It's been about 50/50 for me whether the entire tower blows up or it stops half to 3 quarters of the way down though.

Eox posted:

Same with the monster ball projectile mob capturer thing in the pack, it also has the benefit of letting you loot the chest without the whole tower exploding afterwards so you can farm the spawners. I've also used them to deal with a few of the Ice and Fire dragons that I couldn't kill.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

is there any mod that simulates gravity in any non-poo poo way?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

AceClown posted:

is there any mod that simulates gravity in any non-poo poo way?

Uh... you mean block gravity? I remember some mod that caused collapses for unsupported blocks and all that with some material category differences (like cobble collapses easily but not stone), but I don't remember what it was called.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

McFrugal posted:

Uh... you mean block gravity? I remember some mod that caused collapses for unsupported blocks and all that with some material category differences (like cobble collapses easily but not stone), but I don't remember what it was called.

TerraFirmaCraft? :v:

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

dragonshardz posted:

TerraFirmaCraft? :v:

Yes TFC does something similar but that's not what I'm talking about.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i have a working computer again, finally, and thus want to place blocks on top of other blocks

any good quest-driven packs on Twitch that spring to mind? i see project ozone 3 is out but i leapt off a cliff and died and it played the screaming goat noise at me

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
I bought minecraft a few years ago after watching a streamer play Sevtech. The progression system really appealed to me in a way the the creative aspect of vanilla minecraft never did. I struggled with sevtech for a while (aggravated by my only having a passing understanding of basic minecraft mechanics) before bogging down (literally) in the betweenlands. Anyway, a month or so ago I decided to give it another shot, but this time doing some homework first. This round has gone much smoother, I had no problems killing shoggoths, I beat a wight castle in betweenlands, overall a much better experience.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i have a working computer again, finally, and thus want to place blocks on top of other blocks

any good quest-driven packs on Twitch that spring to mind? i see project ozone 3 is out but i leapt off a cliff and died and it played the screaming goat noise at me

Try out my challenge pack Escape From Trantor. It has 6+ different kinds of map mod that combine into a really cool hosed up world to explore:

https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/escape-from-trantor

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Rutibex posted:

Try out my challenge pack Escape From Trantor. It has 6+ different kinds of map mod that combine into a really cool hosed up world to explore:

https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/escape-from-trantor

quote:

Game Version: 1.12.2

:thunk:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I mean unless it's a wild coincidence their username here is the same as the person whose username is on that modpack I think it actually is theirs

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
p sure the joke is it's made by Ruti "1.7 til I die" bex

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Garfu posted:

p sure the joke is it's made by Ruti "1.7 til I die" bex

He tattooed over it and now it says 1.XX.12 till I die.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
sorry, I started following this thread in hopes of someone answering my question and I'm not up to date on Thread Lore

President Ark
May 16, 2010

flatluigi posted:

sorry, I started following this thread in hopes of someone answering my question and I'm not up to date on Thread Lore

i think the reason you're not getting many bites on that question is that it's incredibly broad; "I want to play a modpack that has a good crafting/storage system mod like AE2 or RS, suggest one for me" is kind of like saying "i want to eat a sandwich that has bread that was cooked in an oven, suggest one for me"; at this point practically every modpack has one of those two mods or something of comparable utility

i don't want to sound like i'm snidely dismissing you; rather, i'm after more information. blightfall has AE2 and i love blightfall but it also severely limits power generation so that suggestion is out

- do you want a pack that has you start very limited and you have to build your way up to high-tech stuff, or do you want access to whatever you want to build from the word "go"?
- do you want a kitchen sink pack that has whatever the gently caress mods the creator decided to put in (if not all of them), or something more focused on specific mods?
- do you want a freeform do-whatever pack, or something with a quest system?
- do you want the recipes and progression to basically look like Vanilla Minecraft With Some Extra Tiers After Diamond, or do you want something heavily divergent that does its own thing?

a good average modpack that's closer to vanilla and features AE2 with other mods to make it interface with is enigmatica 2 (not enigmatica 2 expert, which gates the mods behind other mods and AE2 is at the end of the progression)

enigmatica 2 also has enigmatica 2 light with less of a bloated modlist which would run better on lower-end computers

President Ark fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 27, 2020

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Davethulhu posted:

I bought minecraft a few years ago after watching a streamer play Sevtech. The progression system really appealed to me in a way the the creative aspect of vanilla minecraft never did. I struggled with sevtech for a while (aggravated by my only having a passing understanding of basic minecraft mechanics) before bogging down (literally) in the betweenlands. Anyway, a month or so ago I decided to give it another shot, but this time doing some homework first. This round has gone much smoother, I had no problems killing shoggoths, I beat a wight castle in betweenlands, overall a much better experience.

You should try out Blightfall.

flatluigi posted:

Alternatively to what President Ark is asking, why not just put the mods you want to play with into your own pack?

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Feb 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Black Pants posted:

You should try out Blightfall.

Yeah, I've seen how much this thread loves it, I will give it a shot after Sevtech.