Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

at least this better mean we get Bomani back more on HQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

I'm guessing the biggest issue was their target demo probably doesn't watch TV at 4pm on weekdays?

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
High Noon didn't really seem to lend itself particularly well to the 30 minute format, either. Most the clips I saw after it got cut from a full hour felt pretty rushed or surface level, which is basically the opposite of the whole concept behind the show originally

It would be cool if they just did it as a podcast but I'm guessing on-screen people get paid too much to make that work

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
they called the loving show "high noon" and then panic moved it away from the noon time slot after like three weeks they never wanted that show to work

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

MourningView posted:

they called the loving show "high noon" and then panic moved it away from the noon time slot after like three weeks they never wanted that show to work

It seems recently ESPN has been in an 'if it ain't broke, fix it anyway' mode - that's how Mike & Mike got split up for no real reason.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Why the gently caress are they keeping Dan Le Betard on ESPNews when they're showing repeats on ESPN 2 during that time?

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

iospace posted:

Why the gently caress are they keeping Dan Le Betard on ESPNews when they're showing repeats on ESPN 2 during that time?

they're afraid people will turn away from First Take, and they're paying Stephen A an ungodly sum of money

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I find it weird that they’re saying an average 330,000 viewers isn’t enough, but 360,000 or 400,000 is making the grade. Weird place to put the marker.

The original one hour High Noon was good, and Bomani’s podcast is excellent.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I know literally nothing about TV ratings, but is being down 3% that huge a problem? Like yeah it’s bad to go down in general, but that doesn’t sound like much to me.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Troy Queef posted:

they're afraid people will turn away from First Take, and they're paying Stephen A an ungodly sum of money

Yeah, if memory serves, Stephen A. Smith is now, by far, ESPN's highest-paid on-air talent.

Thaddius the Large posted:

I know literally nothing about TV ratings, but is being down 3% that huge a problem? Like yeah it’s bad to go down in general, but that doesn’t sound like much to me.

It's not huge but when you're only drawing a few hundred thousand viewers, it's still a drop that makes advertisers start going "hmmmm" when contract renewals come due.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Timby posted:

It's not huge but when you're only drawing a few hundred thousand viewers, it's still a drop that makes advertisers start going "hmmmm" when contract renewals come due.

Yeah, so it can be bad timing as much as anything, plus it's always hard to tell how much it's costing them to run the show.

MourningView posted:

Seriously, it's a shame. Show seemed doomed right from the start.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

harperdc posted:

I find it weird that they’re saying an average 330,000 viewers isn’t enough, but 360,000 or 400,000 is making the grade. Weird place to put the marker.

Particularly when I would guess they're spending two or three times as much on Get Up to get 380,000 and seem fine with it

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MourningView posted:

Particularly when I would guess they're spending two or three times as much on Get Up to get 380,000 and seem fine with it

somebody tweeted that exact point

https://twitter.com/BryanFonsecaNY/status/1232292934994796545

[edit] and also Pablo tweeted that his wife gave birth yesterday, which, that's a lot of Life for one day

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

iospace posted:

seems like they're using it on weekdays to simulcast the whole espn radio lineup

Edward Mass posted:

It seems recently ESPN has been in an 'if it ain't broke, fix it anyway' mode - that's how Mike & Mike got split up for no real reason.

it's funny, i haven't heard lately about how get up's ratings are dire (compared to how it did at first)

i feel sorry for michelle beadle, even if she probably got a nice buyout

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/PabloTorre/status/1232306766651760645

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oh my god that lil babby Violet :kimchi:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/status/1232328448468754435

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

I wanted dearly to like High Noon as much as Le Batard but it just never really grabbed me as a regular viewer/listener. After seeing Bo and Foxworth taking shots at one another at HQ yesterday, it made more sense in that Bo needs someone to play off of who could joke back. Pablo always came off like a little brother on the show instead of a peer.

Above all, this bums me out because it's being taken as a win by you-know-whos that believe that if they don't enjoy a particular thing, it shouldn't exist. Also, it's not a great look for the future of interesting, thoughtful content on ESPN if this, Bob Ley, Outside the Lines and the like are steadily replaced with poo poo like First Take Your Take.

I hope Bo sticks around but could see him writing for GQ or Playboy or doing something on Showtime well before going to Fox. He's dropped stuff like #hatergalaga and the tons of combative tweets he used to churn out. My guess is that he doesn't want to get back into that mode unless it's for something more worthwhile than dealing with Clay Travis.

Anals of History fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 25, 2020

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
tomorrow is Ash Wednesday

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
When it comes to ratings, it's on par with shows like Get Up, especially when it comes to timeslots and promotion.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

tomorrow is Ash Wednesday

Thanks for reminder #3592469 that I need to dredge Twitter myself this year to spot the non- Catholics instead of going to Deadspin :smith::hf::catholic:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oh maaaaaaannnnn

https://twitter.com/jon_bois/status/1232367292220088320

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/leojokerhart/status/1232326739566743552

https://twitter.com/ESPNCleveland/status/1232374775198179329

[extremely michael jordan voice] pass it, you loving midget

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Good Karma Brands sounds like the faceless conglomerate that sells Soylent Green.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dumbest timeline possible

https://twitter.com/Outkick/status/1232153245100990464

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

it’s cool that clay travis is consistently a dumbshit

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I am both excited and extremely :smith: about my team being the target here. But it’s not like it’s undeserved.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Declan MacManus posted:

it’s cool that clay travis is consistently a dumbshit

I dont think he's that wrong? Ebola, H1N1, swine flu, etc all were Plague of the Year than fizzled out two weeks later

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Some relevant excerpts from a WaPo piece about High Noon in November:

quote:

But ESPN has a coming decision to make about “High Noon.” Both hosts have contracts that expire in early spring, and the network is now testing the show in front of focus groups. Negotiations will soon heat up in earnest, and observers both inside and outside ESPN are deeply curious about the outcome.

[…]

That viewership rose later in the day is to be expected, though the salaries on “High Noon” — north of $3 million for the hosts combined, according to people with knowledge of the numbers — also mean the show is not cheap to produce.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I dont think he's that wrong? Ebola, H1N1, swine flu, etc all were Plague of the Year than fizzled out two weeks later

Yea, but a lot of that is due to a lot of work by health officials to contain and treat the diseases. No ones really sure about Covid-19 yet because most of the people who get sick are in China and who the hell knows if you can trust what they’re telling everyone.

The seasonal flu is definitely a bigger killer than covid-19, but we’ll have to see where this goes.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Didn't realize Jason Benetti also did PBP for college hoops, he's on the Kentucky-A&M game right now and doing a great job

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

curried lamb of God posted:

Didn't realize Jason Benetti also did PBP for college hoops, he's on the Kentucky-A&M game right now and doing a great job

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

The White Sox game they did together is one of my favorite broadcasting moments ever.

Benetti is just plain awesome all around!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i think he and harlan are the best all around sports announcers.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

AA has a pretty great breakdown on just how hosed up MLB blackouts are

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

the article got stupid after he starts wondering why Pittsburgh has a blackout in Buffalo

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

I did not realize the Pacers were blacked out in Iowa lmao what the hell. I have never met a Pacers fan in my entire life.

The MLB blackouts here are obviously insane because it's like a fourth of the league but at least they're mostly teams Iowans root for, aside from the Brewers. I think the only Brewers fans I've ever seen in Iowa were people in undergrad who were from Wisconsin and only living here for school.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Extremely chaotic energy on HQ today.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Cuyahoga County (where Cleveland proper is located) is blacked out of Penguins games on NHL.TV because certain townships have the ability to get Root Sports. This is the Pittsburgh based channel that Penguins games are broadcast on. Therefore, the entire county isn't allowed to stream their games, no matter if you have the chance to watch it on TV or not.
Summit County (where Akron is located, just south of Cleveland) can see Penguins games because Root Sports is not offered anywhere in the county.

Fun stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/youtubetv/status/1233086055525634048?s=21
https://twitter.com/youtubetv/status/1233086146558689284?s=21