Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

“ The massive success of Star Trek: Discovery's second season launch exceeded our expectations in both driving subscriber growth and generating a phenomenal response from Star Trek fans,” CBS All Access executive vice president Julie McNamara said.

Also: https://screenrant.com/star-trek-discovery-ratings-most-popular-streaming-show/

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

marktheando posted:

I mean I won't say the second thing is impossible since people are often stupid, but they would have to be really really stupid to respond to an unsuccessful show by spending five times as much money on other similar shows.

Not necessarily. They own the Star Trek brand, which is what's valuable. That and creating content to justify their platform's existence.

If it puts you at ease I think Discovery was probably a big success for them, but as Fishopolis elaborated on, streaming doesn't work the same way as broadcast television at all.

zoux posted:

“ The massive success of Star Trek: Discovery's second season launch exceeded our expectations in both driving subscriber growth and generating a phenomenal response from Star Trek fans,” CBS All Access executive vice president Julie McNamara said.

I mean it's precious that you think this means anything coming from a company promoting its flagship show on a fledging platform, but I would take it with a very large grain of salt.

And again, I think Discovery was likely a big success, for whatever that's worth.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Feb 25, 2020

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

zoux posted:

“The massive success of Star Trek: Discovery's second season launch exceeded our expectations in both driving subscriber growth and generating a phenomenal response from Star Trek fans,” CBS All Access executive vice president Julie McNamara said.

This sounds like mostly empty marketing speak. I'm not trying to say it was a failure, I'm just curious if we can actually judge one way or the other.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

kidkissinger posted:

This sounds like mostly empty marketing speak. I'm not trying to say it was a failure, I'm just curious if we can actually judge one way or the other.

Find an article anywhere that says it's performing poorly.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

zoux posted:

Released by who?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

kidkissinger posted:

do we have concrete numbers for viewership for either show? I'm genuinely curious.

I don't think CBS released viewer numbers for all access shows, so nothing in terms of American audiences.

It does air on TV in Canada so you could probably find ratings numbers for that, but it also seems to stream online here on Crave, and a lot of people here pirate so the numbers will be skewed.

All we know for sure is that the executives are happy enough with the performance of disco to keep going, and confident enough in Picard that it had a second season before even airing.

In terms of if people like it: some people love them, some people hate them, some people don't care. They have metacritic ratings of above 50, and beyond that, who cares. What other people like or do not like should have no effect on how much you like something, otherwise you'll drive yourself crazy wondering why everyone else doesn't see it the same way.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lizard Combatant posted:

Released by who?

Anyone at all

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

piratepilates posted:

What other people like or do not like should have no effect on how much you like something, otherwise you'll drive yourself crazy wondering why everyone else doesn't see it the same way.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

zoux posted:

Anyone at all

And where would they be sourcing that information?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

piratepilates posted:

I don't think CBS released viewer numbers for all access shows, so nothing in terms of American audiences.

It does air on TV in Canada so you could probably find ratings numbers for that, but it also seems to stream online here on Crave, and a lot of people here pirate so the numbers will be skewed.

All we know for sure is that the executives are happy enough with the performance of disco to keep going, and confident enough in Picard that it had a second season before even airing.

In terms of if people like it: some people love them, some people hate them, some people don't care. They have metacritic ratings of above 50, and beyond that, who cares. What other people like or do not like should have no effect on how much you like something, otherwise you'll drive yourself crazy wondering why everyone else doesn't see it the same way.

The only reason I brought up popularity in the first place was because one guy said that the show was so self evidently bad that they must be trying to trick people into staying around: it's absolutely relevant in that case.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

zoux posted:

This would be the perfect place to post a goatse link, but alas

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

zoux posted:

You really are weirdly defensive about this show.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sorry about lots of people liking the show you hate

I get it though, if these shows are popular, then CBS will take it as a sign that this is the direction future shows will take. Well, I assure you, this is in fact the case. All future Trek series will be like Picard and Disco, and they are making a whole lot of them (probably so people don’t know what a ratings disaster Disco was, the scoundrels)

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 25, 2020

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

zoux posted:

Should I go outside perhaps? To calm down, from being so mad?

Glad to see you can recognize that you are having a problem, that is the first step towards a solution.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

zoux posted:

The only reason I brought up popularity in the first place was because one guy said that the show was so self evidently bad that they must be trying to trick people into staying around: it's absolutely relevant in that case.

I think we're on the same wavelength, the disco experiment has proven promising enough that they seem to be making more of it instead of less.

I'm not sure who is arguing with who anymore.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

piratepilates posted:

I think we're on the same wavelength, the disco experiment has proven promising enough that they seem to be making more of it instead of less.

Yep we're exactly in agreement, and I understand why that would be troubling for people who don't like the modern direction of the franchise. People pretending that CBS is covering up a failing series by ordering more serieses is silly, however.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

zoux posted:

I get it though, if these shows are popular, then CBS will take it as a sign that this is the direction future shows will take. Well, I assure you, this is in fact the case. All future Trek series will be like Picard and Disco, and they are making a whole lot of them (probably so people don’t know what a ratings disaster Disco was, the scoundrels)

Now I'll never get the Voyager 2.0 that they were never going to make. :argh:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

zoux posted:

Yep we're exactly in agreement, and I understand why that would be troubling for people who don't like the modern direction of the franchise. People pretending that CBS is covering up a failing series by ordering more serieses is silly, however.

"The focus of ratings companies has no relevance for us. Subscriber growth, not advertising, drives our revenues."

That's from the former Netflix CEO way back in 2016.

Ignore the replies that are just antagonising you for a moment and consider what folks are saying while pretending they're not talking about Discovery - which was probably a big success. Growing the brand of Star Trek and generating content is more important than the performance of any one show. These are not mutually exclusive positions.

piratepilates posted:

One for the ages then.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Star Trek: Discovery S05E06 "The Wolf Crieth Unto the Picard Dies"

Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Brawnfire posted:

Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael

Huh, the writing has definitely improved

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Peachfart posted:

Huh, the writing has definitely improved

Definitely more of an ensemble feel.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Brawnfire posted:

I’m just imagining each “Michael” being said by a different character in quick succession, and when they run out of Disco cast, they just start cutting to Worf, Kira, Chakotay, Morn...

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
GOB Bluth: "Michael"

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

CPColin posted:

GOB Bluth: "Michael"

Thread Love Michael

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lizard Combatant posted:

"The focus of ratings companies has no relevance for us. Subscriber growth, not advertising, drives our revenues."

That's from the former Netflix CEO way back in 2016.

Ignore the replies that are just antagonising you for a moment and consider what folks are saying while pretending they're not talking about Discovery - which was probably a big success. Growing the brand of Star Trek and generating content is more important than the performance of any one show. These are not mutually exclusive positions.

I don't disagree? The CBS exec said it drove sub growth, so either she's lying or the shows are driving sub growth.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

zoux posted:

I don't disagree? The CBS exec said it drove sub growth, so either she's lying or the shows are driving sub growth.

I'm pretty sure there are a ton of CBS all access subs for their other exciting offerings like

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

if the subs were growing from 0 to 1 that would be "driving sub growth" but it wouldn't necessarily be accurate to call it "popular"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dietrich posted:

I'm pretty sure there are a ton of CBS all access subs for their other exciting offerings like

Evil is good. The show not the concept.

cargohills posted:

if the subs were growing from 0 to 1 that would be "driving sub growth" but it wouldn't necessarily be accurate to call it "popular"

*gets one new sub*

Probably what happened

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

that means that it's popular enough to justify the spend, but "popular enough to justify the continuing expense" can theoretically cover anything from "just about acceptable" to "vastly exceeding expectations", which tells you next to nothing.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

okay but at the end of the day

can you guys imagine actually being in space

like, wow

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

like, wow

seems pretty boring tbh, there's not much out there's, it's pretty empty

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

it's not like it's called "vast quantities of stuff"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Literally everything is in space

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

zoux posted:

Literally everything is in space

I guess, but so is all the nothing, and when you think about it, proportionally there's far more nothing than something

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

piratepilates posted:

I guess, but so is all the nothing, and when you think about it, proportionally there's far more nothing than something

this is true of my life as well

not really making a point with that just observing

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

zoux posted:

It's typical corporate speak that means nothing one way or the other. But is it driving sub growth in comparison to making no show at all? Of course it is, who could possibly think otherwise?!

All the creation of new shows reliably indicates is that the brand itself is popular enough to attract viewers. That is it.

CBS all access is a fledgling platform with gently caress all else in terms of brand recognition. Without new content, it grinds to a halt.

That is the extent of what anyone is saying with regards to the commissioning of new shows not being related to the performance or underperformance of Discovery.

Now this has all strayed away from the initial point that popularity/unpopularity is irrelevant when discussing the merits of show in one's personal opinion.

Was someone wrong to say it was a failure? In all likelihood, yes. Does it matter? No.

We're only talking about this because you kept posting memes and screen caps of reviews and then argued when folks said it's not a reliable indication of success whilst still agreeing that probably was.

So chill dude. A lot of people loving love it.

Brawnfire posted:

like, wow

Right now the cold vacuum is looking mighty appealing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Statistically you’re just a Boltzmann brain and the universe never existed

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

piratepilates posted:

Picard: we are everything, yet we are also nothing

*picard, crew, and ship phases out of reality*

*Created by Gene Roddenberry*

*star trek never returns to tv or film again*

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I am toward the end of Star Trek: Discovery's first season, and this show would be so much better without Ash Tyler, who is the worst character. All his scenes are boring, predictable, and gross for the sake of shock imagery. Star Trek should be amenable toward viewing with family, whereas this Trek has plenty of scenes where someone could walk past and you'd have to be like "I swear it's not like this all the time" or else they'd think you like to watch Klingon torture porn. Stametts is great, and Mirror Stamett's initial prank on his counterpart made me laugh out loud. Burnham, Tilly, and (Mirror) Lorca are all right, though it probably would have been better to have a season with Georgiou beforehand, for actual Star Trek instead of wartime corrupted-by-mirror-Lorca Star Trek. Lorca can be a good character while making the show worse, in a context where everyone is afraid the show has been taken over by millionaires who will give the show a neoliberal or even neoconservative voice.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

We're talking about this because you guys are doing some sort of epistemological stoner "what can we really know about anything man" thing without offering a shred of counter evidence. But if you want to say that streaming show viewership numbers are opaque, yes they are, on purpsoe, and these arguments apply to every streaming show ever made. Is the Mandalorian popular? Well, Disney says so, but they would wouldn't they. Stranger Things? Who can say?