Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I bought this game shortly after release and never made it past character creation. I’ve thought about starting it again, but am now running into the same issues. I usually like to play melee/caster hybrids in these games, and there are tons of options, but I can’t figure out which one to take. I’m considering:

Kineticist — lots of damage and control with great single target damage in melee. Major point in its favor seems that melee and ranged are both useful in different ways and the character would actually use both.

Magus — More abilities to choose from but seems like it would mostly play as a melee character with buffs. Do they use their offensive spells outside of spell combat?

Eldritch Scoundrel 7/ Paladin 2 / Scaled Fist 1 / Eldritch Knight 10 — Build I found online. The reactivity of casting nukes on crits looks really fun and it seems capable of great damage.

Some kind of bard — seems tough to get good melee damage out of one and I don’t know how much control or damage I could get out of spells, either. I like the flavor a lot and I like having tons of skills and support powers, but I don’t want to be dedicated support.

Some kind of inquisitor — Would be my top choice, but the class looks mediocre outside of summons, and I’m not interested in those. I’m not sure how to get effective spells, damage or defense here.

Anything I’m missing here? Does anybody have thoughts on which looks most fun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I bought this game shortly after release and never made it past character creation. I’ve thought about starting it again, but am now running into the same issues. I usually like to play melee/caster hybrids in these games, and there are tons of options, but I can’t figure out which one to take. I’m considering:

Kineticist — lots of damage and control with great single target damage in melee. Major point in its favor seems that melee and ranged are both useful in different ways and the character would actually use both.

Magus — More abilities to choose from but seems like it would mostly play as a melee character with buffs. Do they use their offensive spells outside of spell combat?

Eldritch Scoundrel 7/ Paladin 2 / Scaled Fist 1 / Eldritch Knight 10 — Build I found online. The reactivity of casting nukes on crits looks really fun and it seems capable of great damage.

Some kind of bard — seems tough to get good melee damage out of one and I don’t know how much control or damage I could get out of spells, either. I like the flavor a lot and I like having tons of skills and support powers, but I don’t want to be dedicated support.

Some kind of inquisitor — Would be my top choice, but the class looks mediocre outside of summons, and I’m not interested in those. I’m not sure how to get effective spells, damage or defense here.

Anything I’m missing here? Does anybody have thoughts on which looks most fun?

If you want your damage spells (or even your crowd control spells) to be effective, you need to play a pure caster or at least to keep raising/focusing on the spellcasting stat and complimenting it with feats. Which means that it will be less likely for them to be able to contribute damage on melee (or ranged really) later on.

Out of all the builds you posted, the 2 that can do both are the kineticist and the Elditch hybrid.
However, the edlritch hybrid has two issues: It will take at least 5-6 levels till it comes online and you contribute damage and some spellcasting (you will more likely hit with crossbows and be a bit of a burden) and it takes until level 10 of EK to start doing the caster nuke on crit thing, which will happen for the last chapter and a half of the game (still likely to be 15-20 hours of gameplay, but still). You will be mostly self buffing and using a couple ray spells till then. The good news is that your saves and AC along with the self buffs will make it unlikely you will ever die from midgame and after. Also, you have to stay Lawful good.

Kineticist will always do good blasting damage and you can make kinetic blade melee effective (especially with size and stat bonuses from elemental overflow). However, the 'spellcasting' aspect of any kineticist is really limited outside of blasting in different ways. Like you can throw a blast, throw a cone/spray, and later throw Clouds/Eruptions/Walls, then go town with the blade. But outside of that, you can at most throw a couple crowd controls, a heal or a few self-buffs.

A different hybrid build would be a sorcerer/dragon disciple 4/monk 1/eldritch knight and go for a strength/shifter build (lots of strength/charisma, little else) but that's more if you want to be a dragon or polymorph.

Bards can stay in the front lines, but if you do not raise charisma and use feats to boost his spellcasting/songs, his Crowd Control Spells and Songs will just end up less effective later on. It's a bit similar with Inquisitor, but you do get some free monster summons or animal companion to compensate.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

For an offensive caster bard you could go thundercaller.

Yarrington
Jun 13, 2002

While I will admit to a certain cynicism, I am a nay-sayer and hatchet man in the fight against violence. I pride myself in taking a punch and I'll gladly take another.

skeleton warrior posted:

I’ve been through it as a single-class Cleric and as a single-class Paladin and I never had any problems. Earlier, people posted good in-character builds for companions and that’s really much more the make-or-break of it, as you only need to be 100% uber optimized if you’ve made the other characters into horrible versions of themselves.

Do you have a link to those builds handy?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Yarrington posted:

Do you have a link to those builds handy?

The OP's posts in this thread are a good place to start in that regard - I'm definitely more into immersion than being optimal, so I've been following them for companions in my playthrough and having "good enough while being immersive" builds for them really opened up the space for me to go with whatever I want for my PCs' builds.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Dallan Invictus posted:

The OP's posts in this thread are a good place to start in that regard - I'm definitely more into immersion than being optimal, so I've been following them for companions in my playthrough and having "good enough while being immersive" builds for them really opened up the space for me to go with whatever I want for my PCs' builds.

When the very first build I read for Valerie has her take 8 levels of fighter and not the 9th one , I just feel a bit sad.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Alchenar posted:

I love how inevitable it is that a post of 'pathfinder is complex and counter-intuitive' is followed immediately by a couple of posts of 'oh it isn't that bad', followed by a chain of people correcting them and getting counter-corrected.

The thing is that if you were playing tabletop and you announced you were putting on two bonuses that didn't stack, the DM would immediately tell you so. Every CRPG will just silently let you put on a useless item and not actively warn you that it isn't doing anything.

Or the DM wouldn't tell you and quietly adjust your rolls....

Cursed information is as dangerous as a cursed weapon :)

Some gaming groups have 'that player' who are enthusiastic to play but have memory like a sieve and just doesn't 'get' the rules. One of my friends is infamous for having unlimited money, he's not doing it on purpose, his record keeping and memory are just non-existent. The DM takes this in stride.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

JamMasterJim posted:

When the very first build I read for Valerie has her take 8 levels of fighter and not the 9th one , I just feel a bit sad.

I assume you mean because of the shield bonus to touch AC from TSS 9, or is there some other reason I'm missing?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Alchenar posted:

I love how inevitable it is that a post of 'pathfinder is complex and counter-intuitive' is followed immediately by a couple of posts of 'oh it isn't that bad', followed by a chain of people correcting them and getting counter-corrected.

The thing is that if you were playing tabletop and you announced you were putting on two bonuses that didn't stack, the DM would immediately tell you so. Every CRPG will just silently let you put on a useless item and not actively warn you that it isn't doing anything.

In complete fairness (to which side I'm not sure), I'm fairly certain you shouldn't necessarily take what stacks and what doesn't in Kingmaker at completely face value compared to the original rules anyways. I know most issues were eventually fixed, but as far as I'm aware (Lesser)Bracers of Archery STILL don't work for attack (they DO work for damage) as far as I can tell, and a circumstance bonus to attack should stack with basically everything given it's so rare there. And where two items aren't working correctly, I wouldn't be surprised if there are other edge cases in one direction or another.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Dallan Invictus posted:

I assume you mean because of the shield bonus to touch AC from TSS 9, or is there some other reason I'm missing?

Pretty much. In comparison, 8th level of Stalwart gives what, another defensive stance?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

JamMasterJim posted:

Pretty much. In comparison, 8th level of Stalwart gives what, another defensive stance?

2 extra rounds of defensive stance, plus another defensive stance power, yeah (in this case, an extra point in DR). Considering how important touch AC is at that point in Kingmaker it's definitely a debatable pick but I still broadly recommend that thread for anyone interested in that approach to NPC builds (turning Linzi into an offtank and Tristian into an actually useful combatant while still staying on their themes was, frankly, inspired).

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

The eldritch archer magus is a murderous bow user that also casts fireball if you want to build a ranged gish. You can do silly dip things but they are by no means required, adding acid splash to your ranged full attack is quite strong specifically in various dungeons, and even basic levels of taking the feats that mention bows, turning on abilities, attack moving will get you across the finish line.

Paladin as others have mentioned can be quite bonkers.

Anything with a smilodon full progression is bonkers.

Don’t let the ruminations on how to optimize dissuade you, the biggest hurdle to completion is not proper character building, it’s understanding debuff removal and patience with tedium in the late game. For those, there is bag of tricks and you are entirely excused if you decide the wild hunt et al isn’t worth the player fiddle decision time budget the devs allocated it.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Speaking of character creation, how are you supposed to build the unchained Monk? Does unchained mean not picking one of the prestige classes? I made a mercenary monk just to see what people were talking about, and he just gets murdered really hard if anyting takes aim at it, and I'm at level 11. Is currently dead from getting mulched in vordakai's dungeon

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Aren't some of the older builds invalidated tho? I think the last patch adjusted some egregious stuff like Crane Wing and fixed some old bugs holding back some classes (like I think the caster druid subclass gets full BAB now). Some of the optimized builds focused on certain feats may not be as effective as they were.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Speaking of character creation, how are you supposed to build the unchained Monk? Does unchained mean not picking one of the prestige classes? I made a mercenary monk just to see what people were talking about, and he just gets murdered really hard if anyting takes aim at it, and I'm at level 11. Is currently dead from getting mulched in vordakai's dungeon

Unchained monk is the standard monk, traditional monk is the original monk paizo made.
Monk can be a pretty good dodgetank or a decent dps, not both for the most part. Granted, The greater cycopsi in the tomb are still a threat, but with the AC a tank monk is rocking(or any decent tank) normally plus blur/displacement etc, he should survive quite a lot.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Dex monk with dodge, crane style. You get to double dip AC from both wis and dex items, and not getting to wear armor doesn't matter when bracers of armor up to +8 are available. They can cast their own bark skin and ideally would want a shield spell from an alchemist too. Amulet of agile fists or a rogue dip will help with the damage.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Okay I used to like Tristan and his 'heal you for max power all the time' thing but I took Harrin to the Dwarf Fortress and now I really like his 'hit you in the face really hard' thing.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Were there any posts at some point that summarized list of character builds, mods, general advice, etc? I feel like every long running PC game thread eventually has someone make an effort post with a ton of useful information and links.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

JamMasterJim posted:

If you want your damage spells (or even your crowd control spells) to be effective, you need to play a pure caster or at least to keep raising/focusing on the spellcasting stat and complimenting it with feats. Which means that it will be less likely for them to be able to contribute damage on melee (or ranged really) later on.

Out of all the builds you posted, the 2 that can do both are the kineticist and the Elditch hybrid.
However, the edlritch hybrid has two issues: It will take at least 5-6 levels till it comes online and you contribute damage and some spellcasting (you will more likely hit with crossbows and be a bit of a burden) and it takes until level 10 of EK to start doing the caster nuke on crit thing, which will happen for the last chapter and a half of the game (still likely to be 15-20 hours of gameplay, but still). You will be mostly self buffing and using a couple ray spells till then. The good news is that your saves and AC along with the self buffs will make it unlikely you will ever die from midgame and after. Also, you have to stay Lawful good.

Kineticist will always do good blasting damage and you can make kinetic blade melee effective (especially with size and stat bonuses from elemental overflow). However, the 'spellcasting' aspect of any kineticist is really limited outside of blasting in different ways. Like you can throw a blast, throw a cone/spray, and later throw Clouds/Eruptions/Walls, then go town with the blade. But outside of that, you can at most throw a couple crowd controls, a heal or a few self-buffs.

A different hybrid build would be a sorcerer/dragon disciple 4/monk 1/eldritch knight and go for a strength/shifter build (lots of strength/charisma, little else) but that's more if you want to be a dragon or polymorph.

Bards can stay in the front lines, but if you do not raise charisma and use feats to boost his spellcasting/songs, his Crowd Control Spells and Songs will just end up less effective later on. It's a bit similar with Inquisitor, but you do get some free monster summons or animal companion to compensate.

Thanks for the detailed reply. Do you think an arcane bloodline scion would be able to land decent damage or control spells? It seems either a scion or a sword saint could get away with fully focusing on its casting stat and I think arcane bloodline gives you bonus DC on a spell school of your choice and you get spell focus bonus feats. On the melee side you get access to sense vitals far sooner for a big damage boost (if other scion builds got to scion 19 at all). Dragon bloodlines give a ton of AC, but it seems like a dex scion with a paladin/monk dip could get really good defenses anyway.

I'm probably going to play on challenging, but with monsters tuned down to normal and a party size of 4, for context. So I'm somewhat less concerned about a painful level curve.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Thanks for the detailed reply. Do you think an arcane bloodline scion would be able to land decent damage or control spells? It seems either a scion or a sword saint could get away with fully focusing on its casting stat and I think arcane bloodline gives you bonus DC on a spell school of your choice and you get spell focus bonus feats. On the melee side you get access to sense vitals far sooner for a big damage boost (if other scion builds got to scion 19 at all). Dragon bloodlines give a ton of AC, but it seems like a dex scion with a paladin/monk dip could get really good defenses anyway.

I'm probably going to play on challenging, but with monsters tuned down to normal and a party size of 4, for context. So I'm somewhat less concerned about a painful level curve.

With Arcane Bloodline, you do kinda lose out on the chance to go Dragon Disciple for some very nice free stat boosts, not just AC. But the extra spells do benefit you, as does sense vitals and Mirror Image/Shield/Blur will keep you alive a little longer. If you go dex scion, it takes some extra investment to be able to deal damage with your Dex on top of rolling for attacks though, which is an extra investment.

While you could have a decent casting stat (boosted with items) for up to midgame, your caster level maxes out at 6 and investing on School focus(+ greater) is a big investment, so your CC will be far less effective for the last quarter of the game.
And if you want to compliment with damage spells, a bit of a similar deal (plus extra investment if you want to use ray spells, unless you dip into Divine Hunter specifically).
Up to lv 12-13 or so, you could throw a preemptive grease/stinking cloud/web with decent effect, but your best bet for some complimentary spell damage will be using wands/scrolls you get and saving your spells for self/party buffs.
If the intensify metamagic spell was in the game, hitting shocking grasps as a magus would be more alluring, but alas.

To sum it up, you either limit your martial ability too much to become at best a decent caster for CC and damage, or become a very good frontliner who mostly buffs/supports with occasional touch spell delivery. 6 level of spells plus the feat tax are tricky to overcome, save for the Eldritch builds that do not come online easily. And with a party of 4, where you will have to be either a good damage dealer or the main source of the party's spellcasting, even if you are ahead in levels a bit, you should be really good on either job.

I think someone mentioned it before, but your best choice to be both a decent martial character, use the unique ability of a magus to deliver spells and be in a prime position for extra spellcasting is probably Eldritch Archer.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I would actually say don't pick Kineticist because they're incredibly overpowered, I'm pretty sure you could solo the game with one.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

I would actually say don't pick Kineticist because they're incredibly overpowered, I'm pretty sure you could solo the game with one.

They are not that powerful the first dozen levels, and he can just not abuse deadly Earth (or avoid speccing into it). It's still good to have as a nuclear option for the last dungeon

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I played a 19 2h (Lion's Falcata was also an option but when Serpent Prince drops right after season of bloom welp I guess I use fauchards now) Undead Scion on hard and it was pretty busted. Arcane should be even better than that. Honestly I've never found Dragon Disciple to be the least bit worth it, it fucks with your casting, the bonus doesn't stack with Bokken's potion, and you may as well just go Abyssal if you want Str that badly. 19 Scion if you build it right pretty much never misses a beat from lv 5 ish onwards. Easy access to keen, almost all the relevant early wiz spells, a button to make ghosts eat poo poo, the works. If you want to focus on DC you can always take heighten metamagic too though I don't think I did because well CC kind of slows things down when you're popping late game mobs in a couple swings per char. My favorite trick though is hellfire ray with the artisan metamagic rod and quicken arcana, wailing on the depths super boss with Prince for 200-300 crits while also shotgun spamming hellfire is one of the surest ways of ending that garbage in seconds.

I took some spoiler redacted screens of the build here https://imgur.com/a/szDWQMQ

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
If you want to go punchman Dragon Disciple, just do Sorcerer instead for more buffs. Paladin 2/Scaled Fist 1/Sorcerer 2/Dragon Disciple 4 or 8/Eldricht Knight and/or Arcane Trickster X is the usual spread for melee focused Dragon Disciples.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

You can solo the game, easily. As in, the biggest danger is a cut scene will march you into your own deadly earth. (You ain’t getting out of that alive)

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

How bad is kineticist with no earth? Is deadly earth and bowling infusion what makes the class completely broken, or will it still be really overpowered even with other blast types?

I’m thinking of just going for it with the arcane bloodline scion. The dex tank scion build I’ve read (by InEffect, who seems to know what he’s talking about and has a lot of builds posted on the GoG forums) focuses pretty hard on damage spells and picks up a bunch of both casting and combat feats. He goes for a dragon bloodline, but since I’m not playing unfair, I doubt it will make a huge difference. Sense vitals should at least mean I can deal decent damage with rays mixed in with spell combat.

I’m definitely going to take a scaled fist dip for the AC and crane style, but do people feel a paladin dip is worth it on an eldritch scion? For a first play through high saves might be nice, since I won’t know what buffs to prepare to negate bullshit.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
Kanera (or is it Kalikke ?) can do a pretty good job of messing things up with just at-will Grease (helloooo all the attacks of opportunity - you don't even had to take exhaustion to use it, a 1rnd duration is enough to wreck poo poo) so I'd say water is pretty broken as well.

It's really just fire that kinda sucks for a number of reasons (although they do get touch combined blasts, not sure if that makes up for the dearth of utility)

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Heithinn Grasida posted:

How bad is kineticist with no earth? Is deadly earth and bowling infusion what makes the class completely broken, or will it still be really overpowered even with other blast types?

I’m thinking of just going for it with the arcane bloodline scion. The dex tank scion build I’ve read (by InEffect, who seems to know what he’s talking about and has a lot of builds posted on the GoG forums) focuses pretty hard on damage spells and picks up a bunch of both casting and combat feats. He goes for a dragon bloodline, but since I’m not playing unfair, I doubt it will make a huge difference. Sense vitals should at least mean I can deal decent damage with rays mixed in with spell combat.

I’m definitely going to take a scaled fist dip for the AC and crane style, but do people feel a paladin dip is worth it on an eldritch scion? For a first play through high saves might be nice, since I won’t know what buffs to prepare to negate bullshit.

It's meh without the AE abilities. Earth = deadly earth, fire+water = cloud. Those are your two no-save AE abilities. And you can stack one of each.

What makes deadly earth so good is not just the damage it does but you can add a Trip effect kicker to any earth attack, and the difficulty check can be so high you will trip just about anything that can be tripped.
(this is why you don't get out of your own deadly earth)

PS, never touch Kinetic Knight. It looks cool, but is fundamentally broken. If infusion spec. worked on composite blade attacks it'd be worth playing, but the archtype sucks.

dex tanks are awesome and how I play solo. InEffect knows what he's talking about.

The only problem is with stuff like Sense Vitals is they are short duration and you will have to rest often. There are timed parts of the game where there's a bit of pressure, but overall is not normally a problem.

Alchemist's Vivisectionist archtype is probably the strongest single archtype in the game. You can build any form of melee around it and it also can work as a good splash option.

You don't NEED a 2-paladin splash. It's nice, but not vital. It slows down your magus levels pretty badly.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

You can do other shapes too. They key thing is that shapes hit twice so Kineticist will be absurd no matter what.

Too much dipping delays your magic/magus arcana. I wouldn't recommend it.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The big thing about fire for kineticists is that they get the only composite blast among the base choices that's still energy and thus a touch attack, and fire can ignore spell resistance with their blast - including golems which are typically untouchable by energy blasts. There's also a number of other infusions and the like that generally make them the best overall at general damage dealing, even if their utility is fairly lacking. They do get THE best 9th level utility talent in From the Ashes though, but it's not in the game.

The other thing, and this is actually pretty significant, is that Deadly Earth is nowhere near as "deadly" at the tabletop - sure it still does the same effect, but an actual DM generally won't just mindlessly walk their sapient enemies into it or leave them in indefinitely to begin with... plus by 11th level a lot of the true threats fly (and are thus basically immune to it). Oh, and the whole IT ONLY WORKS ON EARTHEN (or metal, if using metal blast) SURFACES - i.e. generally doesn't work in dungeons or buildings or caves.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

New Kickstarter article up. This time on Oracles!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/owlcatgames/pathfinder-wrath-of-the-righteous/posts/2767562

Probably the most interesting thing is that most of the curses they alluded to at the bottom as examples are non-core ones - Plagued and Hellbound are easily recognizable, and another is probably Powerless Prophecy.

Also unusually, they didn't actually list any Oracle archetypes that will be available.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Lord Koth posted:

New Kickstarter article up. This time on Oracles!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/owlcatgames/pathfinder-wrath-of-the-righteous/posts/2767562

Probably the most interesting thing is that most of the curses they alluded to at the bottom as examples are non-core ones - Plagued and Hellbound are easily recognizable, and another is probably Powerless Prophecy.

Also unusually, they didn't actually list any Oracle archetypes that will be available.

I expect Dual Cursed With Tongues As Second Curse won't be in (cheese, what cheese ? I'll have you know it costs the whole rest of the party one whole skill point !). Pity :).

Griffen
Aug 7, 2008
I also love the hybrid melee/spellcaster archetype, so I'll chime in with my limited experience in this game. I've just finished the main quest line in Chapter 2 running a Two Handed Specialist Fighter/Wizard, with the plan to go Eldritch Knight when available. I like the idea of my character able to lead from the front, wade in to do damage, but have a few spells up his sleeve for tricky situations. While this is non-optimal, I find it very enjoyable. I play on normal, so your mileage with this setup on challenging may vary.

I went fighter 1/wizard 1/fighter 2/fighter 3 first to unlock the overhand grip feat, as well as pick up the bonus fighter feats to grab power attack, cleave, and cleaving finish. While going for 3 levels of fighter early on puts a hamper on your spell casting, the extra hp, BAB, and feats make you a competent front-liner for the first chapter, where front-liners are in short supply. Don't make my mistake and grab mage armor with your first wizard level, grab shield, as the armor bonus won't conflict with the armor you're wearing. The extra 4 AC, combined with a breast plate and decent DEX will allow you to tank decently well for Chapter 1 until you get to displacement or mirror image. After the 3rd level of fighter, get to Wizard 5, then go Eldritch Knight. Your spells will initially only be useful for buffs, like enlarge person, shield, or bull's strength, but eventually I plan to use spells like fireball to start a fight and switch to melee.

This setup won't be the best melee fighter, nor will it be the most damaging spell caster, but it has a lot more flexibility than either. Plus, it's fun to be a jack of all trades that can buff yourself into a giant, grease-trap some boggards, attack-of-opportunity a boggard charging past you for a one-hit-kill into a cleaving finish critical on the boggard chieftan and splatter him. At the end of the day, play the character concept that will be fun, and scale the difficulty to make it enjoyable. You're the only one judging how well you played the game.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

You do you if you are having fun but... why not just do a magus of some kind at that point?

Griffen
Aug 7, 2008

Avalerion posted:

You do you if you are having fun but... why not just do a magus of some kind at that point?

The problems for me with the magus were:
1. Forced into the 1-handed weapon archetype in order to use combat spellcasting. While its fun to get critical hits with shocking grasp, it does mean that a magus has lower non-spell damage than a TWS/Wiz.
2. Lower max spell progression and fewer spells. A magus tops out at spell level 6, whereas the TWS/Wiz can probably get to spell level 7 or 8 by the end. Maybe that won't matter in the long run, but I like the extra flexibility of more spell options.
3. No wizard spellbook learning. I like being able to have as wide a range of spell option as I can, to give me more options when planning. Maybe the magus allows this, but I'm under the impression that is a wizard only thing.
4. Starts out with only light armor proficiency. I liked being able to start with medium or heavy armor in the early game when spell casting is really just pre-battle buffs anyway and I have higher AC. Once I get more of a spellcasting repertoire, I can scale down the armor or find mithril-based armors.

Otherwise, they end up having similar HP and BAB when averaged out. I think they're pretty close, but I favored the higher spell flexibility and non-magical combat damage of TWS/Wiz over the Magus being really good at his brand of spell slinging, but much less outside of it. I think it is down to play style more than actual effectiveness, as they're probably equivalent.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Griffen posted:

1. Forced into the 1-handed weapon archetype in order to use combat spellcasting. While its fun to get critical hits with shocking grasp, it does mean that a magus has lower non-spell damage than a TWS/Wiz.
2. Lower max spell progression and fewer spells. A magus tops out at spell level 6, whereas the TWS/Wiz can probably get to spell level 7 or 8 by the end. Maybe that won't matter in the long run, but I like the extra flexibility of more spell options.
3. No wizard spellbook learning. I like being able to have as wide a range of spell option as I can, to give me more options when planning. Maybe the magus allows this, but I'm under the impression that is a wizard only thing.
4. Starts out with only light armor proficiency. I liked being able to start with medium or heavy armor in the early game when spell casting is really just pre-battle buffs anyway and I have higher AC. Once I get more of a spellcasting repertoire, I can scale down the armor or find mithril-based armors.

Otherwise, they end up having similar HP and BAB when averaged out. I think they're pretty close, but I favored the higher spell flexibility and non-magical combat damage of TWS/Wiz over the Magus being really good at his brand of spell slinging, but much less outside of it. I think it is down to play style more than actual effectiveness, as they're probably equivalent.

Magus can scribe spells(except for Scion archetype since he is spontaneous caster). Alchemist too. Makes them very good utility casters(alchemisst with Infusion even more so)
You can use 2-handers with magus and forgo spell combat. You can still benefit from the arcanas quite a bit. Just to keep it in mid for future builds.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Griffen posted:

You are not forced into it. There is nothing stopping you from picking up a 2h weapon and applying all your arcane enchantments to it. The touch spellstrike garbage is finicky and prone to bugging on rtwp and burns through your spellslots way too fast to be worth it in my experience. Maybe works better turn based. Still good early game for the extra attack through touch of fatigue though, but once you get haste you can easily ween yourself off of it.

quote:

Most 7th-8th spells are barely worth it for pure casters, a hybrid can only really get maybe seamantle and dragonkind III out of it (legendary proportions can be applied by someone else). A Wiz 10/EK 10 can also get fiery body which feels more worth the cost to me.

quote:

I don't think you realize how many spells per level Magus (the default of which learns the same way as Wizard) can get. I got to the 19 capstone that unlocks the full book on a Scion and I was already kind of scraping the bottom of the barrel at that point. Smaller selection to choose from I guess but I mean grease, stinking cloud, haste, kind of has all the essentials and bloodlines like Arcane can scum out a couple of the rest like sense vitals or animate dead.

Perfect Potato fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 26, 2020

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Kobal2 posted:

I expect Dual Cursed With Tongues As Second Curse won't be in (cheese, what cheese ? I'll have you know it costs the whole rest of the party one whole skill point !). Pity :).

Heh, though there's an even better curse for that kind of cheese (also just a fun, if not particularly powerful, one in general) - namely, the OTHER Hell-related one, Legalistic. AKA, you're now a lawyer. Base level is just "you're sickened for a day if you break your word" which, in true RP style given its relation to Hell, just means getting good with Exact Wording. Even comes with a 1/day conditional bonus too!

Not related to Dual Cursed (since you wouldn't get it as the unimproving one), but the 10th level ability even emphasizes this - you get to reroll saves against mind-affecting effects every minute because you're subconsciously looking for loopholes. Not terribly useful in combat for obvious reasons, but good in the RP sense against RP-related uses of charm/dominate effects.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Griffen posted:

That's only true for Regongar/the Eldritch Scion archetype, which is "what if Magus, but Sorcerer-based ?". Magus, Sword Saint & Eldritch Archer all scribe scrolls ; the baseline Magus can even recall spells on the fly better than an actual Wizard (who only gets 1/day no matter what).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
And Stretch goal is hit once again.
2 new romances for the next goal at 1.5 mil. They also possibly revealed 2 new companions, a shaman and an oracle. And we already have a witch, so this party will be very magical.