Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Suspect Bucket posted:

Long term residents of Antarctica are developing their own accent. https://youtu.be/uHKGErnN9W8

Interesting, but I could have done without all the mouth close-ups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In 1916 captain Robert C. Campbell wrote a letter to the german emperor asking for permission to leave the pow camp he was in Germany to visit his dying mother. The emperor allowed this under one condition, he had to return after the visit. Campbell then went to Britain, said his goodbyes to his mother and returned to the pow camp. Then nine months after he tried to escape. This was because he felt he was honor bound to keep his word and as an officer he was honor bound to try and escape from the enemy.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Do you have a source for that? Only thing I can find is the daily mail

e: v thanks!

Sulla Faex has a new favorite as of 19:12 on Feb 24, 2020

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sulla Faex posted:

Do you have a source for that? Only thing I can find is the daily mail

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-23957605

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I wonder if a new hybrid of UK and US English is developing as people on either side adopt words from the other.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Shifty Nipples posted:

I wonder if a new hybrid of UK and US English is developing as people on either side adopt words from the other.

Britain and the US have mostly lost control over the language since it became the lingua franca of "western civilization" and science. A hybrid is already used by the vast majority of non native speakers that still use the language on a daily basis.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Shifty Nipples posted:

nah yeah nah

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
I'd be interested in a study to see if you can identify patterns in text unique to different platforms, and if you can, whether or not the same user will post the same way across sites, how long it persists, and whether or not it affects their spoken language.

Optimistically I'd end up with a device capable of listening to someone talk for 20 minutes and then tell me how long it's been since they visited Reddit or something I guess.

Still, it'd be neat. Is anyone doing that research?

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's weird because french is the other way, the québécois are incomprehensible idiots but even the weirdest accents in France sound good and decent

From my understanding, québécois french is closer to old timey french cuz it was sorta isolated from the classic frenglais which had of course "evolved" over time even though they deny it..

Source: married to a québécois.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Plastik posted:

I'd be interested in a study to see if you can identify patterns in text unique to different platforms, and if you can, whether or not the same user will post the same way across sites, how long it persists, and whether or not it affects their spoken language.

Optimistically I'd end up with a device capable of listening to someone talk for 20 minutes and then tell me how long it's been since they visited Reddit or something I guess.

This isn't research, but my typed "voice" is for sure different from my spoken voice. The only bleed-over between the two I can think of is that I sometimes say "y'all" in real life. I did not grow up saying "y'all" and never speak with anyone that uses the term.

It is grammatically convenient, and out of context it's just a fun mouth sound to make. I don't do it on purpose, it has just kind of slipped into my vocabulary naturally.

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

Saying "hey yall" is easier than "hello everyone"

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Playing Discworld Mud as an American and trying to be cool as a kid has definitely coloured my language.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Plastik posted:

The scary thing is that you could probably do this the other way around.

If your facebook "connect people's posting from across the web into one comprehensive profile for each person" algorithm gives a decent percentage that some user on platform A is the same person as some user on platform B, you can probably throw their typing style from both platforms into a neural network-type algorithm to figure out quite confidently if they're indeed the same person.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

WITCHCRAFT posted:

This isn't research, but my typed "voice" is for sure different from my spoken voice. The only bleed-over between the two I can think of is that I sometimes say "y'all" in real life. I did not grow up saying "y'all" and never speak with anyone that uses the term.

It is grammatically convenient, and out of context it's just a fun mouth sound to make. I don't do it on purpose, it has just kind of slipped into my vocabulary naturally.
Y'all neatly and organically fits the "second person plural" pronoun that English was a little vague on, so it makes sense to me that it's spreading, especially since I think it has lost any disfavor it might have had for being southern talk.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Being northern British with friends from Liverpool, I’d lean more to ‘youse’.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Nessus posted:

Y'all neatly and organically fits the "second person plural" pronoun that English was a little vague on, so it makes sense to me that it's spreading, especially since I think it has lost any disfavor it might have had for being southern talk.

Instead now you get terminally woke people saying it's cultural appropriation of black people for some reason.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Instead now you get terminally woke people saying it's cultural appropriation of black people for some reason.

They do that with a lot of Southern-isms, because AAE and Southern American English have heavily influenced each other, and it's hard to tell sometimes where a particular dialectal feature originated. That and the people doing it are....extremely online slacktivists.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
There are two sources of Southern culture:

1. Appropriated from black people
2. Appropriation of black people

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Oh wait also trucks

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

what about bass fishing television programs

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pastry of the Year posted:

That seems more like a Wisconsin/Minnesota thing to me.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
fun fact, kind of: it's amusing to me how the most yee-haw, confederate-flag-wavin' klan-infested parts of the south these days are the ones that were most opposed to the original confederacy. Nowadays they're Trump country and political centres and the plantation land of old are the most progressive bits of the south (largely thanks to the black citizens of those areas, but the trend holds for white people too.)

And then there's the midwesterners and upstate new yorkers who fly confederate flags. Dunno what's up with them.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Nucken Futz posted:

From my understanding, québécois french is closer to old timey french cuz it was sorta isolated from the classic frenglais which had of course "evolved" over time even though they deny it..

Source: married to a québécois.

I used to work with a really nice guy from Quebec. Obviously, he spoke french, and also english to a certain extent, but definitely not fluently. Anyway, he was working as a french language games tester, so it was playing through stuff in french and logging any issues with the translation. His bugs kept getting sent back by the translators as technically correct but only in extremely old-fashioned french, not modern french from France. So yeah, my understanding is that québécois french retains both vocabulary and grammatical rules that haven't been common use in french from France in a long time. It's pretty cool.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

fun fact, kind of: it's amusing to me how the most yee-haw, confederate-flag-wavin' klan-infested parts of the south these days are the ones that were most opposed to the original confederacy. Nowadays they're Trump country and political centres and the plantation land of old are the most progressive bits of the south (largely thanks to the black citizens of those areas, but the trend holds for white people too.)

And then there's the midwesterners and upstate new yorkers who fly confederate flags. Dunno what's up with them.

the answer is always racism

Pookah posted:

I used to work with a really nice guy from Quebec. Obviously, he spoke french, and also english to a certain extent, but definitely not fluently. Anyway, he was working as a french language games tester, so it was playing through stuff in french and logging any issues with the translation. His bugs kept getting sent back by the translators as technically correct but only in extremely old-fashioned french, not modern french from France. So yeah, my understanding is that québécois french retains both vocabulary and grammatical rules that haven't been common use in french from France in a long time. It's pretty cool.

Colonial legacies get weird like that. India has almost its own dialect of English since they obviously had to learn it during colonial times, and apparently they actually take some pride in having a more old-fashioned way of speaking it.

I'm not sure if there's equivalent differences to say, central and south american versions of Spanish and Portuguese, but it wouldn't surprise me.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Pastry of the Year posted:

Please dont make fun of Bill Dance

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

the answer is always racism

Colonial legacies get weird like that. India has almost its own dialect of English since they obviously had to learn it during colonial times, and apparently they actually take some pride in having a more old-fashioned way of speaking it.

I'm not sure if there's equivalent differences to say, central and south american versions of Spanish and Portuguese, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I met an indian guy in New Orleans whose accent might be the best I've ever heard. He sounded like, well imagine a bombastic mustachio'd man in a pith helmet describing the latest land he's "discovered," that sort of accent.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

What sound do the québécois make when they laugh?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

yeah it sure is weird how the poor people who got dumpstered by the federal government hate the government as opposed to the slave owners who got off easy and were allowed to keep all their land and money

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Peanut President posted:

yeah it sure is weird how the poor people who got dumpstered by the federal government hate the government as opposed to the slave owners who got off easy and were allowed to keep all their land and money

And in many cases, their slaves.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Peanut President posted:

I'm gonna contest your claim that the black belt and the residents of the south's large coastal cities are mainly the descendants of rich slave owners, and also that the rural inner south mainly votes for fascists because of economic anxiety

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm gonna contest your claim that the black belt and the residents of the south's large coastal cities are mainly the descendants of rich slave owners, and also that the rural inner south mainly votes for fascists because of economic anxiety

uhh most of the rich white (non yankee) liberals in the south's large cities are former slave owners my dude, sorry to ruin your classist argument?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Ghost Leviathan posted:

According to the fiancè, (a recent immigrant from South India) he's speaking proper English, Americans are ruining the language and the English have forgotten how to speak properly.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Pookah posted:

I don't recall which thread it was, but someone was saying that the Norwegian and Danish languages have very similar vocabulary but that their pronunciations diverged in the 19th century. As a consequence, to a Norwegian speaker, modern Danish rap sounds like Charles Dickens rapping to English speakers.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

canyoneer posted:

I don't recall which thread it was, but someone was saying that the Norwegian and Danish languages have very similar vocabulary but that their pronunciations diverged in the 19th century.
Or more accurate: Norway seceded from Denmark and people no longer had a reason to use danish pronunciations. It was also not that widespread, it was mostly the norwegian elite who used danish pronunciations. One percent of norwegians spoke with a mix of danish and norwegian, 99 percent spoke with a norwegian dialect.

quote:

As a consequence, to a Norwegian speaker, modern Danish rap sounds like Charles Dickens rapping to English speakers.
Not really. It sounds more like meaningless, guttural sounds.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Norwegian does sound old-fashioned to a Dane tho

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Alhazred posted:

Or more accurate: Norway seceded from Denmark and people no longer had a reason to use danish pronunciations. It was also not that widespread, it was mostly the norwegian elite who used danish pronunciations. One percent of norwegians spoke with a mix of danish and norwegian, 99 percent spoke with a norwegian dialect.

Not really. It sounds more like meaningless, guttural sounds.

Swamp German Fiiiiiiight!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

VanSandman posted:

Swamp German Fiiiiiiight!

Smdh

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

shaking my Danish head

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

for future reference, swamp germans are the dutch. norwegians are mountain apes.

danes are potato something, i forgot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Krankenstyle posted:

for future reference, swamp germans are the dutch. norwegians are mountain apes.

danes are potato something, i forgot

I thought everyone north were Frost Germans