Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Should I add you to the list of possible multiplayer players?

Hmmm.... I wonder if we should get a gang tag.

Thanks but I work weird hours and don't really do multiplayer much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017
Inspired by this thread I bought this:

Awhile back I wrote about a nightmare it gave me, ironically "nightmare asylum". Well, I just finished all three novels. I've been hitting one story at a time between other readings on my bus ride into work.

Thinking about it I don't really have any other use for this one, I don't really hold on to books well after I read them. Is anyone interested in a second hand book?

If someone is, just comment in the thread and then PM me an address. I'm fine paying for shipping anywhere as long as you're not in a hurry to get it.

I've already got volume 2 so I'll start that up in a little.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Thanks but I work weird hours and don't really do multiplayer much.

Np at all. None of us have done anything yet anyway. It's a work in progress, I hope.

Anyone want a gang tag? I can ask a mod about it.

Is anyone in here talented enough to make a gang tag? I don't know how these things work.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Xenomrph posted:

NECA did a modern remake of the Gorilla Alien and it owns.

They also did the Mantis Alien:

Holy poo poo these are cool!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Keltar posted:

Try the Venture Bros.

The Harley Quinn animated show turned out to be surprisingly great. The writing and voice acting are top notch, and their takes on, for example, Bane and Clayface are amazing.

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine
I'm all for multiplayer. I remember getting stuck at an alien section in single player. Guess that means I should try it again.

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

mllaneza posted:

The Harley Quinn animated show turned out to be surprisingly great. The writing and voice acting are top notch, and their takes on, for example, Bane and Clayface are amazing.

yeah, I thought it would be bad because of Suicide Squad/ whatever weird rap Harley Quinn has picked up / monkey cheese Hot Topic stuff but it's actually pretty great, I watched most of it in 2 days. genuinely funny at moments and surprisingly... heartfelt?

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

It's a rad toy but how is a mantis alien a thing? Gorilla, sure, but goddamnit MY IMMERSION

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Harley Quinn is one of those characters that's easy to make insufferable and forget that she's got a really good core to work with

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

OB-GYN Kenobi posted:

Inspired by this thread I bought this:

Awhile back I wrote about a nightmare it gave me, ironically "nightmare asylum". Well, I just finished all three novels. I've been hitting one story at a time between other readings on my bus ride into work.

Thinking about it I don't really have any other use for this one, I don't really hold on to books well after I read them. Is anyone interested in a second hand book?

If someone is, just comment in the thread and then PM me an address. I'm fine paying for shipping anywhere as long as you're not in a hurry to get it.

I've already got volume 2 so I'll start that up in a little.

Yooo, I would read that for sure. I don't have PMs though.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Ghostnuke posted:

Did whoever I sent the Alien Cold Forge book to ever pass that one on?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I bought those colorful action figures this morning. Too much nostalgia for too reasonable a price.

The two pack with the flamethrower spacesuit and egg and the one with the smart gun, plus the APC.

I am going to give them to my kids and see if I can find a TV edit of the movie to make them watch.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

AFewBricksShy posted:

Did whoever I sent the Alien Cold Forge book to ever pass that one on?

I wasn't involved in this book exchange but I'd like say that The Cold Forge is a cool and good book and I thoroughly enjoyed it (on Audible).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

mllaneza posted:

Is that on any streaming platform?

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

It's a rad toy but how is a mantis alien a thing? Gorilla, sure, but goddamnit MY IMMERSION

Short answer: giant mantises

Same thing with the Scorpion Alien - in fact the giant scorpions are included in the new RPG as optional creatures for players to encounter, with stats and everything.

Owlbear Camus posted:

I bought those colorful action figures this morning. Too much nostalgia for too reasonable a price.

The two pack with the flamethrower spacesuit and egg and the one with the smart gun, plus the APC.

I am going to give them to my kids and see if I can find a TV edit of the movie to make them watch.

Read the novelization to them as a bedtime story (or alternately, get the audiobook version - it’s narrated by William Hope, the actor who played Gorman). The novelization omits all of the profanity.
Don’t blame the author for that, it was done by the editor without his knowledge after he turned in the manuscript, and when he found out he was PISSED.

Jay_Zombie posted:

I wasn't involved in this book exchange but I'd like say that The Cold Forge is a cool and good book and I thoroughly enjoyed it (on Audible).

You’ll be happy to know that another Alien book by the same author just got announced.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Jay_Zombie posted:

I must have sent it out in the CineD Alien thread. I do have this saved from when I sent it out:

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

You’ll be happy to know that another Alien book by the same author just got announced.

Sweet. I hope it comes out in audio form.

AFewBricksShy posted:

I must have sent it out in the CineD Alien thread. I do have this saved from when I sent it out:

ROFLMAO.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The Breakfast Sampler posted:

genuinely funny at moments and surprisingly... heartfelt?

Heartfelt is right. The show has developed an emotional core as Harley's crew bonds.

e.

Xenomrph posted:

Is that on any streaming platform?

Just DC's.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Xenomrph posted:

Read the novelization to them as a bedtime story (or alternately, get the audiobook version - it’s narrated by William Hope, the actor who played Gorman). The novelization omits all of the profanity.
Don’t blame the author for that, it was done by the editor without his knowledge after he turned in the manuscript, and when he found out he was PISSED.

I remember the big showdown in the novel when Ripley says "GET AWAY FROM HER.... YOU!!!!!" Like she's talking to a cat that won't get off the counter or something.

Lacks some of the punch of the line in the movie.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

PhotoKirk posted:

I remember the big showdown in the novel when Ripley says "GET AWAY FROM HER.... YOU!!!!!" Like she's talking to a cat that won't get off the counter or something.

Lacks some of the punch of the line in the movie.

Ironically my kids have chided me for some of my choice colorful language scolding the cat exactly this way.

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?
What's the canon explanation for the tiny facehuggers that infect praying mantises?

Sorry, I'm just here thinking about Aliens.

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017

Ghostnuke posted:

You're making things difficult. All I wanted to do was give away a book, simple. Now I had to go and create a non doxxing Gmail account which is a lot of work pal. Shoot me an email if you dare:

implant.me.my.queen

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Dirt5o8 posted:

What's the canon explanation for the tiny facehuggers that infect praying mantises?

Sorry, I'm just here thinking about Aliens.

Maybe they're like, pre-hostoric sized giant mantises from some other planet.

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017

Ghostnuke posted:

Bombs away Ghostnuke. They ran out of $3 snail mail boxes so I upgraded to the $8 priority box, eta Friday. I hope you enjoy it :hfive:

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

:nice: I'll pass it on when I'm done.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Jay_Zombie posted:

Maybe they're like, pre-hostoric sized giant mantises from some other planet.

Do we ever learn what an Arcturan looks like?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Gnome de plume posted:

Do we ever learn what an Arcturan looks like?

xenopedia posted:

The Arcturians are a humanoid, mammal-like extraterrestrial species native to the planet Arcturus. They were the first sentient alien species encountered by mankind and humanity has since established interspecies trade with them.

Arcturians are roughly humanoid, bipedal in form and comparable in size to humans. However, they are comparatively lacking in mental capacity; their intelligence has been likened to that of lower apes. Biologically, they exhibit an unusual combination of insect and mammalian traits — physiologically, they mammal-like, yet they live in subterranean colonies that reproduce via a single fertile, egg-laying queen. Like humans, they are warm-blooded, omnivorous and breathe oxygen, yet they are eyeless and communicate and rationalise their surroundings through a form of natural sonar.

Troublingly it sounds like they categorically could not give informed and enthusiastic consent to any kind of close encounters, but knowing marines past, present, and one assumes future, that maps.

I think it's kind of stupid, and if the throw-away line needs addressing in my tabletop game I'm inclined to say they are a distant colony of culturally distinct homo-sapiens who completely eschew "conventional Terran" gender norms and sexual mores. Sort of like Planet 24/7 Bangkok Drag Revue.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Yeah gently caress that noise, that's some star wars wiki bullshit. Absolutely nothing is improved by defining exactly what Arcturians are

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

purple death ray posted:

Yeah gently caress that noise, that's some star wars wiki bullshit. Absolutely nothing is improved by defining exactly what Arcturians are

Umm... this is Alien, a franchise who's whole premise is ruining itself by defining itself.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Owlbear Camus posted:

Troublingly it sounds like they categorically could not give informed and enthusiastic consent to any kind of close encounters, but knowing marines past, present, and one assumes future, that maps.

I think it's kind of stupid, and if the throw-away line needs addressing in my tabletop game I'm inclined to say they are a distant colony of culturally distinct homo-sapiens who completely eschew "conventional Terran" gender norms and sexual mores. Sort of like Planet 24/7 Bangkok Drag Revue.

purple death ray posted:

For what it’s worth, I’ve been talking with the author of the new RPG and at titans are going to get an overhaul in a future expansion to the RPG. He didn’t go into any real detail other than essentially “the old stuff is going out the window because it’s stupid”.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Honestly turning that throwaway any sort of actual alien at all ruins the tone of the setting for me.

To me "We are alone in the cruel and uncaring universe, except for the monsters" is the sine qua non of aliens.

Honestly I feel like I'm bending it a little already were I to include Predators in my TTG.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Owlbear Camus posted:

Honestly turning that throwaway any sort of actual alien at all ruins the tone of the setting for me.

To me "We are alone in the cruel and uncaring universe, except for the monsters" is the sine qua non of aliens.

Honestly I feel like I'm bending it a little already were I to include Predators in my TTG.

Yeah, same. I feel like Predator only works because they take the setting to a kind of crazy over the top place, which can be really cool but it's a different flavor from Alien and Aliens. Like how in the AvP arcade game they gave Dutch a robot arm and people can suplex xenomorphs. Just saying "Arcturians are sort of like blind apes" doesn't have the same impact.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

It also arguably misses the point of the original line of dialogue - ‘Aliens’ is one big Vietnam allegory, and “male arcturans” are the future space sci-fi stand-in for Thai ladybois that soldiers occasionally fraternized with.

If I remember right I *think* that’s the direction the new RPG is handling it, with Arcturus being a human colony with colonists that Marines passing through sometimes sleep with, but the old-school RPG’s “blind apes” are present on the planet as an indigenous species just as a shout-out to the old RPG.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Owlbear Camus posted:

My thought is that Arcturius is a fairly well-developed colony world founded by Brazilian-Thai emigrants and thus all sorts of trans/non-binary cultural norms abound.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
It don't matter when it's Arcturiun baby

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I never imagined the Arcturians to be some sub species. I think that wiki description makes it all really gross. Having sex with lower ape level intelligence creatures just sounds sick.

I don't buy it and in my head canon it doesn't exist.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Three offhand lines about Arcturians have led to over three decades of discourse. It's really impressive.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

It's like some Star Wars EU level maclunkey.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

mind the walrus posted:

Three offhand lines about Arcturians have led to over three decades of discourse. It's really impressive.
That's nothing compared to "where did the egg on the Sulaco in 'Alien3' come from?"

:can:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ryrq2J54Gi8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

That's nothing compared to "where did the egg on the Sulaco in 'Alien3' come from?"

:can:
Well what about the Orangutan?