Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
The Trial of Thorns: The candidates are told that the trial will test their endurance. They are led into individual chambers and the doors close... at which point, the temple is rocked by an explosion. The player candidate barely makes it out in time as the planet is under attack by an overwhelming alien force. They soon learn that the Elders and the other candidates were slain, and they are the only person qualified to lead. Regardless of what they do, they find themselves fighting a losing battle. Their allies abandon them and they are forced to make terrible sacrifices to keep the laser witches alive against a seemingly implacable foe, as their forces dwindle each year until they are left leading just a handful of increasingly ungrateful laser witches hiding out in the wastes.

At the point the candidate abandons their role as leader, the illusion spell ends and they're back in the chamber, with a minute having passed for each year of their simulation. The candidate who endured a situation where all hope seemed lost for the longest wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 2, 2005

Whybird posted:

The Trial of Thorns: The candidates are told that the trial will test their endurance. They are led into individual chambers and the doors close... at which point, the temple is rocked by an explosion. The player candidate barely makes it out in time as the planet is under attack by an overwhelming alien force. They soon learn that the Elders and the other candidates were slain, and they are the only person qualified to lead. Regardless of what they do, they find themselves fighting a losing battle. Their allies abandon them and they are forced to make terrible sacrifices to keep the laser witches alive against a seemingly implacable foe, as their forces dwindle each year until they are left leading just a handful of increasingly ungrateful laser witches hiding out in the wastes.

At the point the candidate abandons their role as leader, the illusion spell ends and they're back in the chamber, with a minute having passed for each year of their simulation. The candidate who endured a situation where all hope seemed lost for the longest wins.

Yes! This is that grade A material that I keep coming back for. Thanks GM thread!! I'll make a post after the session (FRIDAY THE 13TH!!)

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

So, I made a game for online, had a bunch of applicants and chose the party. First session went... godawfully. Two people were horrendously slow, not like "these mechanics are complicated" but like, 35 minute turns hemming and hawwing about their options, the best choice to make, whether to attack this person or that person. All the while these two were slowing the party up, one of the others was a super micromanager, telling everyone what to do on their turn and trying to dictate combat etc.
Another person, while we were doing the introduction session 0 stuff, interjected after the first rule to say "that's not how I run things in my game. If you do it like that it RUINS MY WHOLE CLASS" (it was about a Line Weapon having to use either straight lines, or proper diagonals on our square grid).
It's been one whole session where a 2 round combat took 2h 30minutes and coming out of there is a super bad taste in my mouth, like the whole dynamic is just so exhausting already and we've had one session. I brought up the slow speed, and suggested we might need to institute turn timers and people should plan their turn inbetween their turns and they sorta replied "I was planning outside of my turn" which makes me think they're just naturally slow. .
The DM advice I'm looking for is, is it ok to just like, ghost on 4 people and pretend this never happened? Or should I stick it out. It's contrasted to the couple other longer online games I've run where it's gelled really well from the get go, and just worked for years after that.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
You make the rules, if they can't adhere to them then :sever:. Give them a 30 second turn timer. Or just tell them "look, that session went awfully, I don't think this is working out."

Straight-up ghosting them is a bit rude, but you have no obligation to try to make it work if you're not enjoying it.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Ghosting would be lovely. At least have the courtesy to stand up and say "gang it ain't working out, bye" first.

But yeah, if you're not having fun you are under no obligation to stick that poo poo out.

Feb 2, 2005

Spiteski posted:

So, I made a game for online, had a bunch of applicants and chose the party. First session went... godawfully. Two people were horrendously slow, not like "these mechanics are complicated" but like, 35 minute turns hemming and hawwing about their options, the best choice to make, whether to attack this person or that person. All the while these two were slowing the party up, one of the others was a super micromanager, telling everyone what to do on their turn and trying to dictate combat etc.
Another person, while we were doing the introduction session 0 stuff, interjected after the first rule to say "that's not how I run things in my game. If you do it like that it RUINS MY WHOLE CLASS" (it was about a Line Weapon having to use either straight lines, or proper diagonals on our square grid).
It's been one whole session where a 2 round combat took 2h 30minutes and coming out of there is a super bad taste in my mouth, like the whole dynamic is just so exhausting already and we've had one session. I brought up the slow speed, and suggested we might need to institute turn timers and people should plan their turn inbetween their turns and they sorta replied "I was planning outside of my turn" which makes me think they're just naturally slow. .
The DM advice I'm looking for is, is it ok to just like, ghost on 4 people and pretend this never happened? Or should I stick it out. It's contrasted to the couple other longer online games I've run where it's gelled really well from the get go, and just worked for years after that.

No gaming is better than bad gaming. But just tell them that you're not feeling it. You don't owe them any other explanation.

Let this be a lesson, though. One that took WAY too long to get through my thuck skull: When playing with a new group, never agree to more than a single session. Doesn't matter if you're going to be a DM or a player. As tabletop people, we have a tendency to think, "This will be it. With this group, I can run my pie in the sky campaign of my dreams." Sometimes without ever sitting at a table with these people. I'm guilty of this. Agreeing to a single session solves this problem. I agreed to play, we played. And it sucked so now its over.

A successful TTRPG group is a goddamn unicorn. And the ingredients that go into one are impossible to measure or quantify. Treat new groups like a new sexual partner. Don't go balls in right out of the gate. Don't put your dice in crazy.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

:words: about Pendragon

This was all very helpful, thanks. Really de-mystified the battle system both mechanically and in terms of its use case. The advice to do a bunch of poo poo between sessions is great.

Given the characters my players built most of them seem to be more interested in courtly things, which is the least mechanically involved thing, so I think I've got some time to get the mechanics of the game down. My players are also totally allergic to reading books for any of the games we play which puts a lot of load on me to explain, like, all of it.

EthanSteele posted:

The GM drew out family trees in roll20 and it was very helpful. For getting the players into the battle system what did it for us was one of us getting to actually command as well as putting us in a squad with NPC followers we cared about. Eventually you do get actual real options in the combat like pushing forward to turn around and attack from the rear and stuff that actually makes a difference to the combats.

Only do estate management if they want it, Book of the Estate is really good once you grok it all and is a bit more involved than the one in the core book, but way less swingy than the one in Book of the Manor.

Look at all of the random tables in Book of the Warlord as the GM because they're all super cool and if you're just starting out Book of Sires is also rad and filled with neat stuff.

I've never really used roll20 but I could probably get a visio license from work or something since I kinda know how that works. I tried doing a family tree by hand and quickly realized digital is the way to go.

I don't have the Book of X supplements. Any of them must-buys? We're all still figuring out the game so I'm not sure what areas they'll want to focus on.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Pretty much what they said. If there is some of them that you think are possible to work with then try and bring them along and ditch the rest (the slow ones might have been complete noobs who just need some confidence), but if not just try to find a new group. Personally I have only had bad experiences with tabletop online and I doubt I will ever try it again.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos
A few sessions ago my players encountered a fellow who traded favours, obviously supernatural in nature. Basically they could call on him to do something for them, but his side of the bargains would increase in severity until they were basically committing horrible crimes. One session they asked him for a favour, but it was the end of the session and I was getting tired and didn't want to think of an actual bargain so he put it on "credit." Since then they've added quite a bit to their account, so they owe him a substantial favour.

So what are some fun, weird, morally compromising things a powerful supernatural bargain-maker can get them to do? I was thinking of the evil overlord they're opposing buying out their contract and having them kill the king/destabilize the realm/terrorism.

For reference, the party is a criminal rogue with a heart of gold, a warlock serving a powerful forest spirit (homebrew patron), a sorcerer running from religious authorities, a ranger formerly under the employ of the overlord but left after being ordered to kill innocents, and a redemption paladin seeking atonement for the same event.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Have the fey ask them to sabotage some festival event when the overlord is expected to make an appearance (give them the freedom to screw up the festivities in goofy, but nonviolent ways). Then once the overlord's visit has been cancelled, let it drop that the local rebel group was planning a decapitation strike a la the July 20 Plot that they've screwed up on the fey's behalf.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 25, 2020

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Panderfringe posted:

A few sessions ago my players encountered a fellow who traded favours, obviously supernatural in nature. Basically they could call on him to do something for them, but his side of the bargains would increase in severity until they were basically committing horrible crimes. One session they asked him for a favour, but it was the end of the session and I was getting tired and didn't want to think of an actual bargain so he put it on "credit." Since then they've added quite a bit to their account, so they owe him a substantial favour.

So what are some fun, weird, morally compromising things a powerful supernatural bargain-maker can get them to do? I was thinking of the evil overlord they're opposing buying out their contract and having them kill the king/destabilize the realm/terrorism.

For reference, the party is a criminal rogue with a heart of gold, a warlock serving a powerful forest spirit (homebrew patron), a sorcerer running from religious authorities, a ranger formerly under the employ of the overlord but left after being ordered to kill innocents, and a redemption paladin seeking atonement for the same event.

The bargain man asks them to track down and capture/kill a group of adventurers that have previously burned him on a deal or didn't do their agreed part, only to find out the bargainman has a loose grasp on the concept of time and the adventurers in question are all geriatric and retired/dead/ living in a rest home.

He asks them to go to a nearby town and kill all of the farmers' livestock. With their bare hands.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The GM Advice Thread: Don't put your dice in crazy

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

Nap Ghost
They need to persuade someone deeper in debt to the bargainer than they are to pay up. The bargainer simply tells them to go to this location and remind a person matching a description that 'your debt is due' -- they simply have to keep saying this to him until he agrees. Each time they say 'your debt is due' he reacts with fear, horror and physical pain, and begs them to stop and tell the bargainer he's dead.

If they insist, he eventually snaps and agrees, looking defeated. The next time they encounter him he's swinging from a gibbet after having attempted to assassinate the King.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Clanpot Shake posted:

I've never really used roll20 but I could probably get a visio license from work or something since I kinda know how that works. I tried doing a family tree by hand and quickly realized digital is the way to go.

I don't have the Book of X supplements. Any of them must-buys? We're all still figuring out the game so I'm not sure what areas they'll want to focus on.

Here's a couple of the family trees, the top one where everybody died so we had to add another branch and the bottom one where Caulas just wouldn't stop having children like a good pagan.

I'll ask the gm what ones he recommends for the supplements, I know he recommended the ones I mentioned, but I'll see if there's any others

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Whybird posted:

They need to persuade someone deeper in debt to the bargainer than they are to pay up. The bargainer simply tells them to go to this location and remind a person matching a description that 'your debt is due' -- they simply have to keep saying this to him until he agrees. Each time they say 'your debt is due' he reacts with fear, horror and physical pain, and begs them to stop and tell the bargainer he's dead.

If they insist, he eventually snaps and agrees, looking defeated. The next time they encounter him he's swinging from a gibbet after having attempted to assassinate the King.

This is loving great

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

hey I'm lookin for advice on running a 5e session that'll be half-worldbuilding-

our last session was a Big Consequential Fight, so it was 100% combat; there are some roleplay loose ends to tie up, but they've collected the McGuffins and gave them to the Good Wizard, and now they are going to be tasked with going out and seeking allies to fight the Extraplanar Grell Invasion- half of whom are NPCs who kinda hate the party

I want to let my players have more ownership over the game, so I wanna do a session where we flesh out seven or eight NPCs/Factions that they're gonna have to deal with, friends and foes alike. The idea, which I am cribbing from hazily-remembered ideas in this thread, is to have each NPC/Faction written on an index card, and then ask the players to write one positive fact about them (bob loves hamburgers), then pass left, write one negative fact (bob does not ride boats), pass, a thing they want (all the hamburgers), and a thing stopping them from getting it (the cache is on hamburger island)-

but idk how to execute this really- or if I should have different things than those four ideas, or what

I do really like the idea of the players having an idea, going into negotiation, what the NPCs want and what's keeping them from getting it. They're heavy roleplayers and enjoy situations where they know things their PCs dont

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Clanpot Shake posted:

This was all very helpful, thanks. Really de-mystified the battle system both mechanically and in terms of its use case. The advice to do a bunch of poo poo between sessions is great.

Given the characters my players built most of them seem to be more interested in courtly things, which is the least mechanically involved thing, so I think I've got some time to get the mechanics of the game down. My players are also totally allergic to reading books for any of the games we play which puts a lot of load on me to explain, like, all of it.

Canonically speaking, they're gonna have a slow time of it until Arthur gets there and starts basically trying to keep everyone from killing each other by introducing chivalry and courtly manners and such, but 'face' characters in Pendragon can be a lot of fun! Have them run into some Faerie Knights at some point and charm them with their manners, that's one of those things that can pay off in plot hooks down the line.

Panderfringe posted:

Bargain Man sends them out to kill someone, a minorly-prosperous merchant. Problem: it turns out that said merchant is another Bargain Man, only a much kinder and fairer one.

Dilemma: if they kill Nice Bargain Man, a bunch of poor people who would never have access to the kind of aid he can provide will be up poo poo creek (and his previously-traded favors will expire, which is important when like half the village said 'I'll trade you a cow if you'll keep my wife/child/grandmother from dying'). If they don't kill Nice Bargain Man, Cruel Bargain Man will just send someone else to do it AND they'll owe him even more. If they try and slip out by owing a favor to Nice Bargain Man - having him essentially 'buy the marker' from Cruel Bargain Man - it turns out that the metaphysical 'flavor' of the bargains has an effect on the traders, meaning they will corrupt Nice Bargain Man into a Not-Nice Bargain Man.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Whybird posted:

sebmojo posted:

This is loving great
It is, but I'd say it has to be someone less indebted. "We owe a big favour, he owed a small favour, and his payment was assassinating the king? We're so hosed."

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Panderfringe posted:

The best favours are the ones that are supposed to be really big (Oh god he's going to get us to kill a dragon isn't he oh gently caress) but turn out to be supposedly small things....except the repercussions of that small action ripple outwards - especially when he's manipulating multiple people with 'favours' to get a very large deed completed.

The fun comes from when the characters realize the effects their 'small' favour will have, and their attempts to stop/curtail the result.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If they have strong morals, give them a task that's one of their established major personal goals anyway, someone's lifelong dream, and frame it as "I'm gonna let you guys off easy."

"Yes, I've sworn an oath to kill General Bloodtusk, but now this guy wants us to and oh my god what is it gonna gently caress up if I do?"

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
All they have to do is steal one nail from the blacksmith. The rest is history.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Whybird posted:

This is a fantastic option. Maybe he'll specifically ask the paladin since he's real good at talking to people.

Morpheus posted:

The fun comes from when the characters realize the effects their 'small' favour will have, and their attempts to stop/curtail the result.

This group overthinks everything so they'll absolutely fall into a thought spiral over the smallest tasks.

Thanks, everyone. THese are much more interesting options than what I had thought up.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

My Lovely Horse posted:

If they have strong morals, give them a task that's one of their established major personal goals anyway, someone's lifelong dream, and frame it as "I'm gonna let you guys off easy."

"Yes, I've sworn an oath to kill General Bloodtusk, but now this guy wants us to and oh my god what is it gonna gently caress up if I do?"

This is what my gm does all the time. His rule of thumb is basically "give the players what they want because they always want something bad that will mess everything up for themselves" and we get exactly what want and more and then go "oh nooooo" as the totally foreseen consequences strike exactly as predicted.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Nap Ghost

EthanSteele posted:

This is what my gm does all the time. His rule of thumb is basically "give the players what they want because they always want something bad that will mess everything up for themselves" and we get exactly what want and more and then go "oh nooooo" as the totally foreseen consequences strike exactly as predicted.

This is my favourite piece of gming advice. I had a player once whose character was trying to become mayor of the PCs' hometown. When he finally succeeded he asked if this meant he had to retire his character because he was too powerful and I was like "are you kidding, your problems are only just beginning"

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

sebmojo posted:

Please yes.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

sebmojo posted:

Casting my vote.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Whybird posted:

This is my favourite piece of gming advice. I had a player once whose character was trying to become mayor of the PCs' hometown. When he finally succeeded he asked if this meant he had to retire his character because he was too powerful and I was like "are you kidding, your problems are only just beginning"

It's so good!

"I want to become an oni, but having all of those abilities would be too strong, so I'll just have these couple with this huge downside?" "no, you're an oni now" "oh no, everyone is scared of me because I am a demon"

"I want to seduce the prince and make him fall madly in love with me" "ok, look forward to all the prospective political marriages getting really upset and being after you" "oh no, I can't believe assassins came after me for seducing the prince"

"I want to fight the hell out of my nemesis" "ok, remember that he's a lovely politician man so if you go and beat him up that's really mean" "aah poo poo I did not enjoy beating up this garbage pencil pusher"

"I want a fairy baby" "ok, sending your child away to the Fey Lands for years will make them resent you and the fairies will want to interact with your boss and liege-lord" "oh no, why does my child hate me and my boss is getting seduced by fairies oh no"

Clanpot Shake posted:

He says none of them are must buys, but if you want more of what the game is giving you in each minigame then go for it, book of Battle and Estate are good and book of Warlords is super useful for free-form anarchy period.

His other advice is play Merlin like a player character in computer game and all the knights are NPCs, he just does poo poo and if you follow its fine and if you don't well you sucked poo poo and if he never liked you anyway. If you act as he wants that's standard and not worthy of praise, if you gently caress up well then that's also standard because you're NPCs it was beyond you anyway.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My own situation was one PC had been looking for the lost Dwarven civilization all his life and right when they got a major clue a devil they owed a favour popped up and said "congrats and while you're there, you'll come across a magic seal, I'm gonna need that broken. Gonna know it when you see it, I expect."

Behind the seal was a beholder. The devil wanted to control it in order to free the realms of the rule of a tyrant dragon, which also aligned with the party's goals. But of course he also would have established Satan in the dragon's stead so they said "yeah we're gonna take a gamble and shoot for killing you along with that and take our own chances with the dragon after."

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

My Lovely Horse posted:

My own situation was one PC had been looking for the lost Dwarven civilization all his life and right when they got a major clue a devil they owed a favour popped up and said "congrats and while you're there, you'll come across a magic seal, I'm gonna need that broken. Gonna know it when you see it, I expect."

Behind the seal was a beholder. The devil wanted to control it in order to free the realms of the rule of a tyrant dragon, which also aligned with the party's goals. But of course he also would have established Satan in the dragon's stead so they said "yeah we're gonna take a gamble and shoot for killing you along with that and take our own chances with the dragon after."

As a PC my general instinct would to let the devil and beholder fight the dragon and then kill the (hopefully badly injured at that point) winners. And then take over the kingdom due to the resulting power vacuum.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Ok. So I run a group who tries to meet up every other week. As far as I can tell people enjoy meeting up and everyone gets along well. When we do meet up, people seem to have a blast. But people obviously have busy schedules and it is some work to try and get everyone to meet every other Saturday. That is fine, this is expected. I don't even want them to meet up reluctantly, it's supposed to be fun with friends. But I am just so tired of people not being willing to inform me if they can make it or not. If there is not enough people there is no game. If there is no game then I got nothing to do that entire day as I set up that day for that session. A lot of the time I change shifts at work just to make it possible. I want to make it clear that it's kinda rude to not let me know what is happening and at the same time I don't want to make a bad atmosphere because I am not their boss and I really just want us to have fun together.

Midig fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 27, 2020

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Midig posted:

Ok. So I run a group who tries to meet up every other week. As far as I can tell people enjoy meeting up and everyone gets along well. When we do meet up, people seem to have a blast. But people obviously have busy schedules and it is some work to try and get everyone to meet every other saturday. That is fine, this is expected. I don't even want them to meet up reluctantly, its supposed to be fun with friends. But I am just so tired of people not being willing to inform me if they can make it or not. If there is not enough people there is no game. If there is no game then I got nothing to do that entire day as I set up that day for that session. A lot of the time I change shifts at work just to make it possible. I want to make it clear that it's kinda rude to not let me know what is happening and at the same time I don't want to make a bad atmosphere because I am not their boss and I really just want us to have fun together.

I dealt with this same issue. It basically boils down to you and your various players all putting D&D at a different priority level in your lives. You might change shifts at work, take the day off, prepare, etc., but one of the players may have a coworker ask if anyone can cover their shift earlier that day and they agree, thinking that missing a D&D session is no big deal(which is a real example from my group). In my experience it is most often players who have never DM'd, as its hard to fully grasp how much brain power preparing and running a D&D campaign uses until you do it yourself. They think " Oh yeah we will just push it back to next week, cool!" , whereas you think " Why did I waste my day(s) drawing maps and writing down NPCs..."

Just say or message your players something like, " Hey I know everyone has a life and family and jobs, and obviously things like that take priority, but please try to let me know at least 1-2 days in advance if you wont be able to make it to the session. I put a good amount of time into preparing each week behind the scenes, sometimes even changing shifts at work to be available, and its frustrating to do all that and not end up playing. Thanks. Now is everyone free for next Saturday?"

If the issue is just getting everyone to agree to a day/time each week, what I've switched to doing is scheduling our next session before everyone leaves at the end of the current one. Having them all in a room together and saying, " Alright nobody leaves until we agree on our next session day" eliminates all the wishy-washyness that seems to happen over text/discord/whatever.

Ideally you sort this out in a Session 0 by having everyone on the same page about how much of a priority the campaign will be. And obviously life changes and priorities shift, but its good to establish a baseline. " I wont reschedule work to make a session, but will try my best" vs " I specifically requested every other Friday off for this" vs " Hey my buddy invited me to the beach so I wont be there today"

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Midig posted:

Ok. So I run a group who tries to meet up every other week. As far as I can tell people enjoy meeting up and everyone gets along well. When we do meet up, people seem to have a blast. But people obviously have busy schedules and it is some work to try and get everyone to meet every other saturday. That is fine, this is expected. I don't even want them to meet up reluctantly, its supposed to be fun with friends. But I am just so tired of people not being willing to inform me if they can make it or not. If there is not enough people there is no game. If there is no game then I got nothing to do that entire day as I set up that day for that session. A lot of the time I change shifts at work just to make it possible. I want to make it clear that it's kinda rude to not let me know what is happening and at the same time I don't want to make a bad atmosphere because I am not their boss and I really just want us to have fun together.

I send out a reminder email to the group a couple days beforehand saying that the game is coming up on the normal day at the normal time, same as it has been for the last year and a half, and if you can't make it let me know. If I don't send the email they won't tell me which is weird, but it seems to work.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

I tried giving a notification through discord and it doesn't work. I never want to do it more than once since I don't want to associate contact through the discord with internal groaning.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

If nobody responds or confirms then don’t prepare for a session. If everyone still shows up you say” nobody responded , sorry I didn’t prepare anything. Who wants to play some scrabble?”

Feb 2, 2005
All good advice re: scheduling so far. I'd like to add that I've offloaded scheduling onto one of my players and can highly, highly recommend it. We do enough putting the game and the world together, do we really have to corral the kittens as well? It is known at my table that my scheduler gets in-game perks so there's competition for it when we begin new campaigns. And the perks are loving huge. Like a big-rear end cherry red chrome plated mech suit called the

Make it sweet enough and they'll fight over it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah offload the scheduling, if that means games never happen, your players have voted and you can do something else.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Quote posted:

All good advice re: scheduling so far. I'd like to add that I've offloaded scheduling onto one of my players and can highly, highly recommend it. We do enough putting the game and the world together, do we really have to corral the kittens as well? It is known at my table that my scheduler gets in-game perks so there's competition for it when we begin new campaigns. And the perks are loving huge. Like a big-rear end cherry red chrome plated mech suit called the

Make it sweet enough and they'll fight over it.

I was able to tempt one of my power-gamer/minmaxer types into being a net positive, not just for me, but for the entire table by getting him to accept the position of Rules Bitch. Need to look up a rule? Ask the Rules Bitch to do it. Need advice on a character build? The Rules Bitch has you covered. He got bennies for doing the poo poo he would have done anyways, and I got a handy resource to every rules minutae in the game so I never had to stop mid-game to look poo poo up.

Feb 2, 2005

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I was able to tempt one of my power-gamer/minmaxer types into being a net positive, not just for me, but for the entire table by getting him to accept the position of Rules Bitch. Need to look up a rule? Ask the Rules Bitch to do it. Need advice on a character build? The Rules Bitch has you covered. He got bennies for doing the poo poo he would have done anyways, and I got a handy resource to every rules minutae in the game so I never had to stop mid-game to look poo poo up.

:hellyeah:

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

sebmojo posted:

Yeah offload the scheduling, if that means games never happen, your players have voted and you can do something else.

Yeah, on one hand that is tempting, but it is a bit much since they are all very cool people and of course some of them are very cool and on top of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I am also Rules Checkerer and Knower and also Level Up Reminder for the group I'm in. I'm sure its insufferable but it means everybody has their stuff!!

Midig posted:

I tried giving a notification through discord and it doesn't work. I never want to do it more than once since I don't want to associate contact through the discord with internal groaning.

Oh yeah I know that feel. You need to be honest and tell them that it sucks to not get a heads up and make it clear that they're not respecting your time and effort. You can sugarcoat it as much you like.