Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

USB is too slow and the driver support is awful. Apple's firewire is more well developed and will clearly end up the connection of choice in the future, especially now that Windows NT 5.0 has more stable plug and play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

ewiley posted:

it’s not Ethernet it’s [...] rj45

8p8c! god drat it!

rj45 is a phone thing

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
similarly, only god drat 25-pin (in standard density) d-subs are B-size! there is no such loving thing as "DB9" get that poo poo out of here

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

SRQ posted:

USB is too slow and the driver support is awful. Apple's firewire is more well developed and will clearly end up the connection of choice in the future, especially now that Windows NT 5.0 has more stable plug and play.

USB has a place for keyboards and mouses and 56K modems. Obviously, proper peripherals such as scanners, CD burners and external speakers will always be FireWire.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

~Coxy posted:

USB has a place for keyboards and mouses and 56K modems. Obviously, proper peripherals such as scanners, CD burners and external speakers will always be FireWire.

it seems unlikely that firewire should replace scsi for high-performance scanners

Menacer
Nov 25, 2000
Failed Sega Accessory Ahoy!
usb sucks, dont use it

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I get not wanting to replace a perfectly good drum scanner, but you can add a PCI-X SCSI card to your PowerMac pretty easily.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

can you believe the new Mac doesn't come with a floppy drive? It's so crippled from the get-go

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

stebe understands ergo ergo the puck mouse is good, actually

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

ewiley posted:

it’s not esata it’s garbage connector that nobody should use

esata is the way of the future for portable storage. even USB 3 will be only 5 gigabit, and look at how crappy the controllers are. esata is 6 gigabit and stands on the shoulders of the time-tested sata standard.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

can you believe the new Mac doesn't come with a floppy drive? It's so crippled from the get-go

Check out September's issue of MacAddict; it shows how to solder on a floppy connector and ADB.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

chmods please posted:

esata is the way of the future for portable storage. even USB 3 will be only 5 gigabit, and look at how crappy the controllers are. esata is 6 gigabit and stands on the shoulders of the time-tested sata standard.

Pfft, I interconnect my switches with HDMI, https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/how10728/how-to-stack-dell-networking-powerconnect-5500-model-switches 10gb baby :smug:

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

huh, that is wild

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Menacer posted:

usb sucks, dont use it

FireWire is so much better. higher sustained data rates and better power delivery, if you pick your parts carefully you can even use an external 3.5” hdd without a wall wart ;-)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

those are some fat loving ferrites

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Moore’s Law is going to run up against speed-of-light limitations and the only option will be to go massively parallel with all software

this is why every major new initiative is going to be built on INMOS Transputers

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

this is actually genius

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

eschaton posted:

large lisp systems

lol

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
now that people are transitioning from centralized news sources into the blogosphere they will realize the true value of the web of trust model

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
All of that “Dynamic Windows” stuff Symbolics introduced in v7 really just slows everything down, the tv interface is just fine for building graphical applications, and as a bonus your code can run more easily on a TI Explorer and even an LMI Lambda.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

suffix posted:

now that people are transitioning from centralized news sources into the blogosphere they will realize the true value of the web of trust model

frankly, web logging will never catch on. Why would you want to read what any weirdo has to say about current events when we have the 6:00 news?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

If I do want to get on the web after I finish watching the news, though? WebTV will be super convenient.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

suffix posted:

rss has a future

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

jimmyjams posted:

Parallel rear end To rear end

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
frames are a really great way to make your website look modern

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Nvidia is a joke that can't keep up and ATi is good, sure, but their 3D tech is way behind and always will be.
Real gamers are gonna stick with 3DFX, in fact I just invested my retirement money in them. 1999 is gonna be a great year.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

who cares about 3D on PCs, they’ll never match what you can get in a high end purpose-built system like an SGI Octane

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

who cares about 3D on PCs, they’ll never match what you can get in a high end purpose-built system like an SGI Octane

3dfx mini gl is pathetic

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

eschaton posted:

Graphics accelerator cards are a gimmick; they will be integrated into your motherboard soon like LAN ports are already and sound cards are starting to be.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

~Coxy posted:

Graphics accelerator cards are a gimmick; they will be integrated into your motherboard soon like LAN ports are already and sound cards are starting to be.

idiot, onboard sound cards are trash and gigabit lan will never be onboard, real power users get seperate cards.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

gigabit???? lol that's loving ridiculous. no one could ever use that kind of bandwidth. my whole university uses one T3 line

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

~Coxy posted:

i think you called this one

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

gigabit???? lol that's loving ridiculous. no one could ever use that kind of bandwidth. my whole university uses one T3 line

one of the things that was good about my college that with the networking development center, even if you held that opinion your attitude was still “gimme, gimme, gimme” towards any new hardware.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

ethernet? noisy poo poo for toy networks. completely unreliable impossible to fo qos properly. token ring for local nets or fddi for campuses is the only way to go

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

BeOS is better than this stupid half-assed linux Steve is pushing, I wish that hack hadn't been hired again he almost ruined Apple once he'll do it again.

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
i for one trust bruce schneier more than some random belgians and will be sticking with blowfish

FalseNegative
Jul 24, 2007

2>/dev/null

PCjr sidecar posted:

ethernet? noisy poo poo for toy networks. completely unreliable impossible to fo qos properly. token ring for local nets or fddi for campuses is the only way to go

Don't worry, between 802.1 CM and and FlexE channelization everything old is new again...

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

suffix posted:

i for one trust bruce schneier more than some random belgians and will be sticking with blowfish

the idea that des was deliberately weakened is ludicrous. having check bits in the key is a valuable feature, and only the tinfoil brigade would believe that the nsa, an agency entrusted with defending the security of our nation, would undermine it instead

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

it’s important that the Am9518 DES chip always be a separately installable option, we need to control export of encryption technology for national security

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

NTFS is a lovely half-assed attempt to match what Unix file systems can do. Windows NT 5 is totally going to have support for ext just like Mac OS 10 is getting it.