Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

a Ghost Dog release in the future is exactly what I wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
Ghost Dog feels like it's been just around the corner for the last several years. I desperately need it

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Watched The Housemaid tonight. Definitely not what I was expecting but great nonetheless. Expected a straight romance plot like In the Mood for Love but got a mix between Parasite and Baby Jane. Super recommend.

Speaking of Martin Scorsese’s World Cinema Project, Redes is great too. Good class conscious movies.

With that said, anyone recommend some actually steamy romance movies on the channel?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Here’s What’s Coming to the Criterion Channel in March 2020
https://collider.com/new-criterion-channel-movies-march-2020/

I'm adding titles faster than I'm watching them at this point - definitely a great value!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like the Criterion.com flash sale starts at noon EST tomorrow (Tuesday, Feb 25).
https://www.criterion.com

Canadians will be able to order from Unobstructed View, Criterion's Canadian distributor.

In case this is your first time...

- 50% off MSRP on all in-stock/in-print releases on DVD and Blu-ray, including anything released the day of the sale
- Most single-disc Blu-rays are $19.99 each
- This includes box sets and collections.
- Free shipping if you spend at least $50
- If you have gift certificates or coupons, you can use as many codes as you like.
- Be sure to check out the non-disc part of the site for posters, shirts, totes, and postcards
- The sale usually runs for 24 hours and the first hour or two is usually a bit slow as everyone rushes to order stuff, but keep in mind stuff goes into backorder quickly.

If you're someone like me who buys Criterions almost exclusively during the flash and B&N sales, here's everything they've released since the November B&N sale through tomorrow:

Tunes of Glory - dir. by Ronald Neame, starring Alec Guinness
The Story of Temple Drake - rare pre-code starring Miriam Hopkins, based on a Faulkner novel
Until the End of the World - 5 1/2 hour road movie by Wim Wenders with an amazing soundtrack
Old Joy - early feature by Kelly Reichart
Holiday - 30s comedy by George Cukor starring Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn
The Fugitive Kind (Blu-ray) - dir. by Sidney Lumet, based on Tennessee Williams play starring Marlon Brando and Joanne Woodward
Le petit soldat - second feature by Jean-Luc Godard
Fail Safe - Horrifying cold war thriller dir. by Sidney Lumet, starring Henry Fonda and Walter Matthau
All About My Mother - Almodovar!
Roma - Alfonso Cuaron's epic, first of Netflix titles to disc (Blu-ray includes 100-page book)
Antonio Gaudi (Blu-ray) - Teshigahara's "tourist" documentary on Gaudi's work, pretty underrated
Teorema - Pasolini directs Terence Stamp
Three Fantastic Journeys by Karel Zeman - Box set with Journey to the End of Time, Invention for Destruction, and The Fabulous Baron Munchausen (think Georges Melies meets 60s Terry Gilliam)
Paris is Burning - Jennie Livingston's documentary on 80s NYC drag queen culture

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

*claps hands together*

Godzilla time.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Picked up a few essentials for my collection with Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me and The Princess Bride, and also blind-bought The Player because I've yet to be disappointed by an Altman.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Edit: double post

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 25, 2020

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I picked up Roma and Three Fantastic Journeys. Roma seemed like it kinda dropped from the conversation, so I'm wondering if it still "holds up."

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

GrandpaPants posted:

Roma seemed like it kinda dropped from the conversation, so I'm wondering if it still "holds up."
100%

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWjf2eNuA4k

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

GrandpaPants posted:

I picked up Roma and Three Fantastic Journeys. Roma seemed like it kinda dropped from the conversation, so I'm wondering if it still "holds up."

I reckon it's one of the more timeless works of its era.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Pretty much set for movie night with friends until the next sale with the Lady Snowblood set, , Lone Wolf and Cub collection, Rashomon, Hidden Fortress, Throne of Blood, Yojimbo/Sanjuro set, and Seven Samurai

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Commissar Canuck posted:

Pretty much set for movie night with friends until the next sale with the Lady Snowblood set, , Lone Wolf and Cub collection, Rashomon, Hidden Fortress, Throne of Blood, Yojimbo/Sanjuro set, and Seven Samurai

Are you and your friends Samurai?

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Are you and your friends Samurai?

We will be by the next sale!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
You really can basically start from zero and compile a very nice samurai film collection just with Criterion alone. Between the Kurosawa stuff, the Samurai Trilogy, Sword of Doom, and Lone Wolf and Cub, you've pretty much got all the basics covered.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Basebf555 posted:

You really can basically start from zero and compile a very nice samurai film collection just with Criterion alone. Between the Kurosawa stuff, the Samurai Trilogy, Sword of Doom, and Lone Wolf and Cub, you've pretty much got all the basics covered.

Don't forget Harakiri

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
Harakiri was a blind buy for me years ago and it is now maybe my all-time favorite movie. Another Criterion blind buy that I finally watched for the 1st time recently and is now another all-time favorite - Brazil. It's incredible and I didn't expect it to be as moving as it was and if you're looking for a blind buy rec for the sale, buy Brazil!

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Don't forget Zatoichi. Also, Three Outlaw Samurai turned out to be a really good one too.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Stink Billyums posted:

Don't forget Harakiri

Also Three Outlaw Samurai! And he’s not technically a Samurai, but the Zatoichi set is fantastic and deals with a lot of similar plots and settings. I’d never seen a samurai movie before buying Yojimbo and now they’re a huge chunk of my total criterion collection. They’re so much fun to watch.

I also watched A Touch of Zen recently for the first time and really enjoyed it, so I hope Criterion picks up more wuxia stuff. If money wasn’t so tight atm I’d pick up Dragon Inn during this sale.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Kuroneko is very good samurai horror

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

When are we getting more Jackie Chan?

But yeah I didn't realize how many samurai movies I had. A lot of westerns too. I have enjoyed most, if not all of them.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Hirsute posted:

Harakiri was a blind buy for me years ago and it is now maybe my all-time favorite movie.

Have you watched Samurai Rebellion? I went all in on Kobayashi after seeing Harakiri and I think he's my favorite Japanese director.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Also Three Outlaw Samurai!

Three Outlaw Samurai does not get enough attention. It is unbelievably good.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

ended up grabbing Hausu, The Last Days of Disco and Beyond The Valley of The Dolls.

and i had a random $10 off coupon I completely forgot about. huzzah!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

GrandpaPants posted:

But yeah I didn't realize how many samurai movies I had. A lot of westerns too. I have enjoyed most, if not all of them.

I don’t know what Criterion’s deal with Golden Harvest is, but Eureka has done nice 2K upgrades for Project A 1&2, Wheels on Meals, and City Hunter. I don’t know if their Police Story set uses the same version as the Criterion set.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I do not understand what logic they use to decide which of their covers to sell as posters

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Gripweed posted:

I do not understand what logic they use to decide which of their covers to sell as posters

yea i dunno how that works when they commission the art from the artist and who owns what or where licensing falls apart.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

This is one of the reasons I recommend a region free player to anyone who cares about physical media anymore. In addition to the Eureka releases already mentioned, 88 Films have put out a bunch of Jackie Chan recently. Heart of Dragon, Miracles, Dragon Fist, Snake & Crane Arts of Shaolin, Battle Creek Brawl, The Protector, Crime Story, and Dragons Forever. The only one I own is Crime Story and the blu-ray looks amazing (too bad the movie is kind of mediocre). Eureka's Drunken Master release is region free.

Lots of good Hong Kong film on bluray lately, just none of it is in the US. 88 Films also has Eight Diagram Pole Fighter and Come Drink With Me out soon. Eureka has a lot, aside from the Jackie Chan there's Iron Monkey (original cut), Last Hurrah for Chivalry, Once Upon a Time in China Trilogy, the Three Films with Sammo Hung set, and Zu: Warriors from the Magic Mountain.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

FancyMike posted:

.88 Films also has Eight Diagram Pole Fighter and Come Drink With Me out soon.
Yesssss

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

dorium posted:

yea i dunno how that works when they commission the art from the artist and who owns what or where licensing falls apart.

They had the Blood Simple cover as a poster for a while and I always meant to get it. The day I tried to order, it was no longer featured in the store. There are so many I'd love to have on my wall.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

FancyMike posted:

This is one of the reasons I recommend a region free player to anyone who cares about physical media anymore. In addition to the Eureka releases already mentioned, 88 Films have put out a bunch of Jackie Chan recently. Heart of Dragon, Miracles, Dragon Fist, Snake & Crane Arts of Shaolin, Battle Creek Brawl, The Protector, Crime Story, and Dragons Forever. The only one I own is Crime Story and the blu-ray looks amazing (too bad the movie is kind of mediocre). Eureka's Drunken Master release is region free.

Lots of good Hong Kong film on bluray lately, just none of it is in the US. 88 Films also has Eight Diagram Pole Fighter and Come Drink With Me out soon. Eureka has a lot, aside from the Jackie Chan there's Iron Monkey (original cut), Last Hurrah for Chivalry, Once Upon a Time in China Trilogy, the Three Films with Sammo Hung set, and Zu: Warriors from the Magic Mountain.

Does Dragon Dynasty still exist, and do they still own the US rights to a million kung fu films?

Maybe they can sell the sell all their rights to pay for Weinstein's lawyer bills, and get them to somebody who will treat them right.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

zandert33 posted:

Does Dragon Dynasty still exist, and do they still own the US rights to a million kung fu films?

Maybe they can sell the sell all their rights to pay for Weinstein's lawyer bills, and get them to somebody who will treat them right.

I don’t know what all they have the rights to, but I had their copies of The Killer and Hard Boiled and they were so godawful that I ended up reselling them for peanuts. I still haven’t replaced them yet, but I figure there’s no way the old DVDs could be any worse. Easily the worst-looking blus I’ve ever bought.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

I assume everything Weinstein-related will get sold off eventually but I don't really know anything about that. Hopefully someone who actually gives a poo poo gets that Dragon Dynasty library. I don't know about the other films they had so much, but for a lot of the Shaw Bros movies there's decent source material available. Celestial Pictures restored a bunch of them, starting I think in the early 00s and some of those dvds look quite good. I'm not sure if anyone is going to spend the money on updated restorations, but the existing ones can still look noticeably better on blu-ray. The Come Drink With Me screenshots at least don't look like a new restoration, and I have the recent Hong Kong blu-ray of Intimate Confessions of a Chinese Courtesan that, again, looks like the same source as the dvd but is still a worthwhile improvement.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Ended up going for...

Three Fantastic Journeys by Karel Zeman
Paris is Burning
Teorema
Holiday
All About My Mother
McCabe & Mrs. Miller
Dragon Inn
Yi Yi
Tanner '88

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I don’t know what Criterion’s deal with Golden Harvest is, but Eureka has done nice 2K upgrades for Project A 1&2, Wheels on Meals, and City Hunter. I don’t know if their Police Story set uses the same version as the Criterion set.

Criterion clearly has a Fortune Star deal with the Bruce Lee set coming later this year. I'd also expect more "catch up" titles that Eureka already released. My guess is maybe Eureka had an exclusivity thing.

Worth noting that some of the Golden Harvest library is with Warner Bros. because they bought a fraction of the library in the 2000s (which is why they still have Mr. Nice Guy and were able to release the uncut version)

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I'm having a hard time with this sale because almost anything that sounds interesting to me is on the channel.

Ended up buying

One-Eyed Jacks
Matewan
The Shooting / Ride in the Whirlwind

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

It’s around this time in the sale where I really mull over picking up Dekalog for the 100th time.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kart Barfunkel posted:

It’s around this time in the sale where I really mull over picking up Dekalog for the 100th time.

Grab it, absolutely worth all ten hours.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Is It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World worthy of it's reputation or overstuffed and overlong?

Also, if I can only pick one: Vampyr or Haxan?

Cacator fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Feb 26, 2020

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Cacator posted:

Is It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World worthy of it's reputation or overstuffed and overlong?
Don't think I've seen it in something like 17 years but the impression it made on me was that it was at most rental-worthy

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cacator posted:

Also, if I can only pick one: Vampyr or Haxan?

Incredibly overlong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i thought i wasn't gonna buy anything this sale because there are so many things I'm waiting to buy that come out between now and the summer sale, but i am weak and will buy a few. I've decided I want to start actively looking for female directors because the only Criterion I've bought to this point by a female director is Virgin Suicides, so I added a bunch to my wishlist. I think this time I'm getting Harlan County USA and Jeanne Dielman because those were the ones that struck me the most. I'm also getting Paris is Burning, which has a female director but that was more happenstance than anything else.