Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Morpheus posted:

See, this is fine if you've played the game a couple times - sure, it makes things a little tougher when initially learning it, but it's easy to pick up. Hell, it's been a year since I've played (and I've only played three times total), but even I know:

Reveal buyers, put down food tokens, get money depending on player order
Put down imps behind screen, reveal and place imps
Place any purchased pets, draw cards, assign needs
Validate needs, do the pet competition thing
Resolve buyers, return cards, have idle imps either clean poop or get money
Age monsters, age food, return imps

I love that, being able to go down the list rapidly while we play.

Yeah I tend to run games, like, logistically. This happens then this happens now it's your turn.

Obviously the more experienced the players the less I have to do, but for me, these aids are so helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Casnorf posted:

I mean, always true.

... Or beast beset :p

I have been thinking about your game while I’ve been playing through the Icebourne expansion to MHW. Mostly how to implement terrain (and area changes) and some sort of damage reward/risk mechanic like the wall bonks in the game.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Riichi mahjong is the best form of mahjong. Also, the current best online implementation is an anime girl gacha game, so it's got that going for it too.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Stelas posted:

Riichi mahjong is the best form of mahjong. Also, the current best online implementation is an anime girl gacha game, so it's got that going for it too.

Strange but extremely true

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

I think that's the one thing I've realized I really dislike with language-independent Ian O'Toole art. He gets hired to a specific kind of modern web design kind of art and it looks great, but it has iconography everywhere where text might be better.

Related: I saw the new Clinic deluxe being played and it looks like utter rear end. I'm glad I have access to the old version.

Yea, I've always personally disliked O'Toole's style because flat web design is a loving plague.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
The only digital Mahjong worth playing is Judgment because nothing else has cut scenes like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST_cGG2uInc

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

For me, I thought Pax Pamir's individual cards were kind of boring. They're all unique, but in the sense that one card might allow you to place 1 army and 1 spy and give you access to the tax action and another might allow you to place 2 spies and give you access to the march action. Those features are significant, but the people I've played with and I have found it to be not particularly engaging. I've rarely seen a case where there was a "must have" card in the market that everyone got excited about acquiring.

To tie this into the thematic integration discussion, the fact that each card is fairly anonymous in its effects makes engaging with the historical flavor of those cards much more difficult. I make a special effort to name each card I played properly, but that does get tedious. Without a strong thematic backbone, it's hard to get excited about the tug of war aspect of the factional interplay. Interacting with this aspect of the game feels more like racking up points (how can I get more green pieces on the field, how can I get more favor points) than a real interpersonal struggle between the players. I ended up trading away my copy of Pax Pamir 2 last year and I haven't missed it, and I also skipped backing Oath because it seemed like it would be similarly unengaging.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I can look at the DungPets screen and understand it perfectly, but honestly: it was the first game I thought of when I read Elysium's post.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

M a x posted:

The only digital Mahjong worth playing is Judgment because nothing else has cut scenes like this

I legit got into the Yakuza games just so I could have a nice Mahjong simulation.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Tekopo posted:

like 8 or even 5 years ago,

Holy crap I just realized I've been following this thread for five years.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Max posted:

I legit got into the Yakuza games just so I could have a nice Mahjong simulation.

Same with me and my wife, yeah

M a x posted:

I only disagree because the game is so amazingly good that it can't be contained in a single player game.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I wanted to try out spirit Island with a demo copy but none of the lgs's around me have it in their lending library :argh:

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Spikes32 posted:

I wanted to try out spirit Island with a demo copy but none of the lgs's around me have it in their lending library :argh:

I'm a big fan of tabletop simulator for this. My wife hates learning new rules but I can convince her once every few months, we try a new game and play it 3 or 4 times then decide whether or not to pick it up.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

threelemmings posted:

I'm a big fan of tabletop simulator for this. My wife hates learning new rules but I can convince her once every few months, we try a new game and play it 3 or 4 times then decide whether or not to pick it up.

Hmm this might be the way to go. Too bad my boyfriend doesn't also have tabletop simulator

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
Perhaps worth noting that TTS is currently 50% off on Humble Bundle

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

taser rates posted:

Yea, I've always personally disliked O'Toole's style because flat web design is a loving plague.

Yeah, O'Toole.png. Lisboa's a bit different, but it's just a more stylized version of the same icons.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Ian Otoole is a great artist and a pretty mediocre graphic designer. His covers are fantastic, but his boards and iconography are text book style over substance. On Mars is particularly egregious, why is the entire game board in orbit and not ON MARS!?

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

taser rates posted:

This is off-topic, but I strenuously disagree. Skeuomorphic Web design was loving hideous.

That said, boardgames are not the Web. I think O'Toole is too cold and clinical for something like Age of Steam. The new Brasses looks great for that sort of thing, but that style would be totally wrong for the Web.

Boardgame graphic design seems to be opening up a bit to both higher quality and more variety. Wingspan is beautiful. The Evolution series is, too. I don't look forward to third-rate attempts at copying Kyle Ferrin, although I suspect we'll be seeing some. Better that than more Klemenz Franz and Mihajlo Dimitrievski.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Klemens Franz is the GOAT.

But speaking of some of the best boardgame covers,
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/269578/games-where-someone-knows-something

Oh god, the other guy is the one behind those goofy af covers that look like comic books.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Just as I refuse to ever attend an ironic viewing of The Room, I reject ironic praise of the dopey pedestrian cartoons of Klemenz Franz.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Scooby Doo Betrayal at Haunted Hill is possibly the best use of the system. Random as gently caress is kinda Scooby’s M.O.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

I like a few of Klemens Franz's covers (Patchwork is very good, Altiplano is so different and silly that I enjoy it), but my god, do not let that man draw humans.

prokaryote
Apr 29, 2013
i do not understand how klemens franz keeps getting work...why...there are so many artists

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Lord Of Texas posted:

I like a few of Klemens Franz's covers (Patchwork is very good, Altiplano is so different and silly that I enjoy it), but my god, do not let that man draw humans.

:NEULAND:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

prokaryote posted:

i do not understand how klemens franz keeps getting work...why...there are so many artists

I guess Germans just really love melty wax portraits.

Ian O’Toole is p good. Every 18xx should look at Irish Gauge in how maybe they can vary the piss yellows without sacrificing readability and Lisboa is pretty albeit too busy which I blame more on Lacerda’s demand for maintaining the thematic style over all else. Really it’s On Mars that looks the blandest but it’s still leagues ahead of the weird clash of styles that is TfM.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

So I solidified my 10 med weight euros and I think it's settled unless something really special comes along. Doesn't feel like much overlap beyond Uwes.

Keyflower
Agricola
A Feast for Odin
Hansa Teutonica
Troyes
Marco Polo
Trajan
Gaia Project
Dungeon Petz
Concordia

everything else is Splotters, Knizia, small games, or combat stuff like Inis. Trajan is most likely to leave at this point as its the least played but probably best in slot for what it offers?

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 26, 2020

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Bottom Liner posted:

So I solidified my 10 med weight euros and I think it's settled unless something really special comes along. Doesn't feel like much overlap beyond Uwes.

Keyflower
Agricola
A Feast for Odin
Hansa Teutonica
Troyes
Marco Polo
Trajan
Gaia Project
Dungeon Petz
Concordia

everything else is Splotters, Knizia, small games, or combat stuff like Inis.

I have only played half of one of these games before :cool:

Edit: I own two of these, and neither are the half game I've played.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

My wife suggested a dark purple neoprene mat for the game table (its dark stained wood) tonight and I'm suspicious that shes somehow aware of your twitter

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Bottom Liner posted:

My wife suggested a dark purple neoprene mat for the game table (its dark stained wood) tonight and I'm suspicious that shes somehow aware of your twitter

Just give your wife the aubergine. It's a great color.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

Bottom Liner posted:

Keyflower
Agricola
A Feast for Odin
Hansa Teutonica
Troyes
Marco Polo
Trajan
Gaia Project
Dungeon Petz
Concordia

Have you played Lorenzo Il Magnifico? I've been considering buying it and wondering how it compares - and if you had played it, why it didn't make your list next to those other ones.

Edit: And Barrage for that matter

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Haven't played it but heard pretty mixed things. I would try it but kinda looks like every typical mechanic thrown in a blender. Barrage didn't grab my interest at all but seems to be getting good praise.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
Fair enough. I've heard a couple of podcasts massively praise both those games both as some of the best in genre and also some of that designer's best. (Game Brain in particular describing the theme of Lorenzo as 'the theme is being the best midweight euro')

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Franz's masterwork is obviously Barenpark. I also like the houses in Agricola and Le Havre, and the main board for Merlin. Basically, anything that isn't a person.

As for Ian o' Toole, I don't mind his graphic design, but I sometimes wonder what his games would look like done by someone else, especially The Gallerist, where a lot of the charm of the setting is lost so that the icons can look exactly like the components. I will say that his map for Franchise is simultaneously insane and beautiful.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
If AFfO is a middle-weight euro, what's a heavy?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Ceebees posted:

Lacerda stuff, Arkwright, some Splotters. It's all subjective though but Feast takes as long as Agricola just has a lot more bits.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Is Dominion a Midweight Euro? How about Race?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Deck builder and tableau builder that are strictly card only wouldn't fall under what most consider a mid weight euro, no. I mean, in the euro-ameritrash spectrum sure they're more euro in nature (maybe not with the randomness?) but I'm talking in the board game vernacular where there's a dozen MWEs coming out every week (three of them in the X of the West Kingdom series).

Of note from my last culling I decided to get rid of GWT and Teotihuacan. Both were solid games made better with their expansions but ran too long every time for what they offered.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Kerro posted:

Have you played Lorenzo Il Magnifico? I've been considering buying it and wondering how it compares - and if you had played it, why it didn't make your list next to those other ones.

Edit: And Barrage for that matter

Lorenzo has a fun take on worker placement but Marco Polo is the cream of the crop.

Ceebees posted:

Die Macher, Three Kingdoms, Through the Ages, Dominant Species, maybe the Imperial games I would put up there.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Keyflower
Agricola
A Feast for Odin
Hansa Teutonica
Troyes
Marco Polo
Trajan
Gaia Project
Dungeon Petz
Concordia

everything else is Splotters, Knizia, small games, or combat stuff like Inis. Trajan is most likely to leave at this point as its the least played but probably best in slot for what it offers?

Good list. I'd say there's probably no reason to get a second Italian mwe (Marco Polo, Lorenzo, barrage, etc). Do you have any other Mac games?

I agree trajan is the best in class, so the question there is do you want that type of game at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

silvergoose posted:

Do you have any other Mac games?

I agree trajan is the best in class, so the question there is do you want that type of game at all.

I have and really like Antike Duellem, as it's the only other one I could get reliably played. I'd love to be able to get Antike II played but we have a lot of games competing in that space. Really want to try Navegador too.

And yeah, Trajan is the only Feld game I've liked and I think has enough staying power to merit its spot.