Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
If you can hide most of your army in those (maybe too scraggly) trees that might help. Anything to delay the rocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Washin Tong posted:

I need some battle advice for a VH/N campaign battle I really think I shouldn't lose.
As I finally move in all my muscle into Black Crag to crush it next turn, some rear end in a top hat Beastmen stack sneaks into Pillars of Grungni one turn before the walls get built.

I played this stupid battle two times and I can't figure it out. I can consistently take out the minotaurs before they do too much work on my lines but the Cygors gradually weaken my entire lineup and I get swarmed. Here's what I've tried so far:

1. Forming a ring of steel and camping the NW hill, shooting grudgins into the minotaurs before they reach me leads into a very solid rout against the Ungors, but the Cygors toss heat seeking rocks into my army the entire battle and I get worn down and swarmed by returning routers before I can finish the job.

2. Rushing into the beastmen formation in a standard line to blitz the ungors and reach the cygors is disastrous to my front line because the miners fold and I get flanked, I rout the minotaurs fairly quickly but not before they kill a bunch of longbeards, after that I manage a lot of kills on the Ungor spears by using focus fire with the 5 quarrelers, but my infantry gets mulched and scattered before I'm done, I can pincushion one of the cygors into routing but I still fall short ammo-wise and returning ungors+rocks finish me off. I chose to ignore the ungor raiders, unconcerned by their nerf darts hitting my armor, maybe that added up more damage than I thought.

I just don't know what the play is here, if there's even one. What formation should I use and which units prioritize what? The miners in particular are a liability and wherever I place them in the line they fold and get everyone else killed. Should I vanguard sneak them into neutralizing the cygors in melee? I don't think they'll last long.

E: yeah nah Cygors cause terror, oops.

Can you vanguard deploy the miners in trees and have them go for the cygors once the main army has engaged? They probably won't succeed but they will at least stop them from shooting.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
If you have *any* Regiments of Renown available they recruit instantly. Particularly cheesy on some factions like Lizardmen and Empire.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

You should upload the save file for that game so I can try that battle out.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
What the hell is this update doing to my hard disk? It's been going at 30 MB per second for twenty minutes now, for a 320 MB patch.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Doomykins posted:

If you have *any* Regiments of Renown available they recruit instantly. Particularly cheesy on some factions like Lizardmen and Empire.

It's a settlement garrison. But yeah, he could load and recruit a Lord and RORs maybe.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Gort posted:

What the hell is this update doing to my hard disk? It's been going at 30 MB per second for twenty minutes now, for a 320 MB patch.
TW's file structure makes patching arduous because it has to unpack a large archive and then re-pack it. Not exactly Quake 3.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Have you tried camping a map corner? That prevents all flanking and lets you trade missile fire and funnel units. Since you are on defense, the AI will attack you which makes things more complicated - they rush you and that reduces the amount of fiddle you can do. You can also try running the advancing units out of arrows by keeping your lord just in range of them as they close, which means they aren't shooting up your vulnerable infantry.
I generally avoid corner camping but I'll give it a shot, it won't help against the cygor bombardment though, which is the main problem here.

Ham Sandwiches posted:

You can also recruit a Lord for that city right before flipping the end turn button and that will give you an extra unit which may help.
Too broke at this particular turn, I could roll it back from an autosave though.

Vargs posted:

Is there anywhere you can deploy where the Cygors have jack poo poo for line of sight and will need to move right up to you? If they need to get close you can shoot them down pretty quickly, and they'll probably not get there until a fair while later than everything else which gives you time to light up the minos first.
This I didn't think of, I always forget to factor in LoS into my tactics aside from "will gun shoot bulet". If I deploy behind instead of on the hill in the northwest that I used for my first attempt the cygors might come to me.

Doomykins posted:

Available RoRs are tied up elsewhere, also too broke for a lord recruit hahaha oh god how did this happen I just wanted to rush Grimgor (who is very super dead by now at least, with only the orc accountants left at Black Crag).

kidkissinger posted:

You should upload the save file for that game so I can try that battle out.
I'm running a few small mods so I think compatibility will be an issue but since it's a level 1 naked beastlord against a garrison with no bonuses in a mostly flat map it could be recreated in custom I guess.

Also fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck Cygors.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

you can't cancel any construction to get some cash?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I'd experiment with vanguard deploying 1-2 miners and having them catch enemy attention and flee to one side of the map, perpendicular to your main army and firing squad. If you have two then split, cause as many enemy army splits as possible, ideally without being in range of their non-artillery ranged. This can increase your uptime from your own ranged, concentrate the Cygor fire in a sacrificial unit and they can hold their own against the wolves. Basically if they're the only thing in range of the Cygors, they won't move while firing? Hopefully.

What I typically do in good front line scenarios against artillery I can't answer is win the front line clash as decisively as possible. Are you having the quarrlers(great weapons) join the front? Longbeards and Thane make the front, quarrlers(GW) are the flankers? If the entire enemy army save the Cygors route there's a good chance they'll panic and break in the end too. Getting the Lord kill can clinch it, break him in melee and have every ranged available switch when he flees.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

kidkissinger posted:

you can't cancel any construction to get some cash?

Yeah I shuffled some cash around and got a lord at the site (just the LD penalty from being able to stomp their lord can swing things a lot). I'm going to try some LoS fuckery as well and see if that cuts it. I'd stream but I'm on rural internet, but I think this is the one.

Please hold.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

So this happened
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XbDAosBPN8

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Clean ranged play, did you get the win? I think you can get earlier line of sight by having a unit hide in the woods themselves and imo it's better to have a squad of mooks meet the enemy front than your Lords/Heroes, even if they're melee heavies. Prevents the enemy from using charge bonus on them and your single models will move cleanly through masses of your own infantry to charge and engage.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Doomykins posted:

Clean ranged play, did you get the win? I think you can get earlier line of sight by having a unit hide in the woods themselves and imo it's better to have a squad of mooks meet the enemy front than your Lords/Heroes, even if they're melee heavies. Prevents the enemy from using charge bonus on them and your single models will move cleanly through masses of your own infantry to charge and engage.

No, got ground down and razed to the ground. I just couldn't reach the cygors with my crossbows, and even when I did, they have 11k HP which is a ton. Admittedly I saw the cygors start their first toss and I immediately moved forward to take the high ground in a sort of panicky way.

And yeah, I always used lords/heroes for charge breaking, my reasoning being that they get hit by only a few models and they stop the charge dead for my infantry to make clean contact with their own charge afterwards. I always thought that was optimal.

I'm sure I made some other mistakes, my micro isn't very clean (my miner flank on the left got delayed like 20 seconds because I forgot) but aside from that there's got to be a macro strategy that works here. I don't know man, it SEEMS super winnable but I just can't crack it.

(BTW I can totally let the dumb goats raze the settlement, get a pyrrhic victory and get mulched by a new dorf army next turn but I just can't let this dumb battle go :smith: )

E: Oh and I let the lord die because I was already hosed by then. That was totally suicidal.

Washin Tong fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 26, 2020

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

You should have the frontage on your units as wide as possible to cut down on AOE damage too

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

you should try to kiss them!!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

quote:

And yeah, I always used lords/heroes for charge breaking, my reasoning being that they get hit by only a few models and they stop the charge dead for my infantry to make clean contact with their own charge afterwards. I always thought that was optimal.

I'm sure I made some other mistakes, my micro isn't very clean (my miner flank on the left got delayed like 20 seconds because I forgot) but aside from that there's got to be a macro strategy that works here. I don't know man, it SEEMS super winnable but I just can't crack it.

Fair enough, I'm not 100% sure either way. I favor a cheaper, bulkier line because I expect casualties, so they take the shocks for all the damage dealers. You should pause a lot more often and issue orders while examining the field, it'll sharpen your micro. And don't let 11k HP get you down, a lot of average infantry has 8k total!

And nothing wrong with not letting this one get away, I understand the feeling well.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 26, 2020

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zore posted:

I think they all do since Light got reworked to not just be dumb

Tell that to Heavens.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

kidkissinger posted:

You should have the frontage on your units as wide as possible to cut down on AOE damage too
Yeah this is true, I have a total aversion to spaghetti lines because I feel I'm gonna get totally bowled by *something* charging at me even if it doesn't exist. It's a bad habit from overusing checkerboards.

albany academy posted:

you should try to kiss them!!
Well I kissed their rocks, a lot. Blarney style.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
beastmen are a difficult fight for dwarves because most of them are big and dwarves don't have a lot of obvious anti-large stuff

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Gamerofthegame posted:

beastmen are a difficult fight for dwarves because most of them are big and dwarves don't have a lot of obvious anti-large stuff

get giant slayers lol

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

So far playing as Dwarfs my best anti-large unit killer has just been engaging them with my lords and thanes and then wearing them down with lots and lots of thunderers and quarrellers.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Trollhammers are good too iirc

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
trollhammers annihilate large, especially low model count units

take 4 and lol as everything melts

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't know that I'd say that dwarfs, a faction with tons of ranged tools and charge defense vs large on basically everything, struggle against large creatures. They've traditionally had trouble against certain types of large creatures, like chariots, but the AI barely even knows how those work half the time.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

They're challenging in the early game

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Can be at least

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I find ranged to be a much, much better counter to large than halberds/spears. Actually setting up your spears so they benefit from charge defense vs large without the enemy just going around them is nearly impossible, and they suck nuts at intercepting enemy cav because they're so slow. Even if you catch them, they just run away after a few seconds. Give me guns/archers instead, which have no problem melting large in seconds.

That being said, I still do use spear troops frequently because they tend to have slightly better defensive stats than swords, which is usually what I care about most in my front line.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
high melee attack+ap units are scarier as they can maul longbeards before your gunners have cleared their threats
strong flying units are most annoying

ive never been satisfied with slayers/giant slayers, too many casualties for the result

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ammanas posted:

high melee attack+ap units are scarier as they can maul longbeards before your gunners have cleared their threats
strong flying units are most annoying

ive never been satisfied with slayers/giant slayers, too many casualties for the result

Sort of echoing what a few of the above posters said, but I really like trollhammers. Even against non-large, a single volley will pretty much wipe out or rout a unit. Having a couple of them guarding the flanks of your main line or set up to assassinate key enemy threats works really well.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I think it'd really help if you could get your quarrelers in range of the cygors.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
As someone who can reload a "winnable" battle 10 times to try to get it right, sometimes it's more fun to accept the L and keep playing.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...

So looking at the two forces, the only real threats that you're looking at are the minotaurs, the beastlord, and the cygors. The chaos hounds and ungor spears/raiders are basically just there to get in the way; they have bad melee attack, almost no AP dmage, and all your guys are super armored. The minotaurs can grind through most of your troops fast though, especially with their anti-infantry bonus - I'd focus on getting your longbeards in against them to tie them down while focusing each unit down with your quarrellers ASAP.

Your great weapon warriors have the best chance of damaging the beastlord, though they're not going to be great - using one unit to engage him then focusing him down with your thane+lord is also a priority. The rest of your troops should be spread out as much as possible to just tie up the spears and draw raider fire; have your grudge thrower focus on the biggest clumps of units after they get close since minotaurs are hard to hit.

The cygors are definitely the biggest problem - they're going to smash through pretty much anything you have, either up close or from range. You could try the miner vanguard shenanigans but that leaves you with a really small front line - I think you might be better off with them holding the flanks and chucking explosives at some ungors to get a nice chunk out of their morale. The best I can come up with is to try and punch through the front lines as fast as possible and run (well, slowly waddle) your quarrellers + maybe 2 units up to the cygors and focus them down, using the melee units to prevent rock bombardments.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

DarthRoblox posted:

So looking at the two forces, the only real threats that you're looking at are the minotaurs, the beastlord, and the cygors. The chaos hounds and ungor spears/raiders are basically just there to get in the way; they have bad melee attack, almost no AP dmage, and all your guys are super armored. The minotaurs can grind through most of your troops fast though, especially with their anti-infantry bonus - I'd focus on getting your longbeards in against them to tie them down while focusing each unit down with your quarrellers ASAP.

Your great weapon warriors have the best chance of damaging the beastlord, though they're not going to be great - using one unit to engage him then focusing him down with your thane+lord is also a priority. The rest of your troops should be spread out as much as possible to just tie up the spears and draw raider fire; have your grudge thrower focus on the biggest clumps of units after they get close since minotaurs are hard to hit.

The cygors are definitely the biggest problem - they're going to smash through pretty much anything you have, either up close or from range. You could try the miner vanguard shenanigans but that leaves you with a really small front line - I think you might be better off with them holding the flanks and chucking explosives at some ungors to get a nice chunk out of their morale. The best I can come up with is to try and punch through the front lines as fast as possible and run (well, slowly waddle) your quarrellers + maybe 2 units up to the cygors and focus them down, using the melee units to prevent rock bombardments.
I dont think the town garrison Miners are Miners With Blasting Charges.
edit: checking the video that Washin Tong shared, they definitely do not have blasting charges.

I would consider trying to use the Miners as sacrificial Cygor Stone Catchers up front, with the rest of the non-ranged infantry spread out in a spaghetti line, then use the ranged to focus down the Minotaurs, then find a way through the infantry blobs to shoot at the Cygors.

Or, Washin Tong could conceivably try to hide some/all ranged behind that hill and have your main force to one side of it - once the enemy army commits to attacking your melee infantry that are off to the side, rush the ranged units out of the woods/behind the hill to go after the Cygors. The melee infantry will probably get chewed up by the Minotaurs and getting flanked by the hounds but it may work out in the end?

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...
After a few tries, I was just able to squeak out a win here - I followed the basic strategy I outlined, although I focused a cygor down first since they weren't advancing on me and I could get in range. This worked well, so I'd suggest deploying right up front and charging; the beastmen have a significant artillery advantage. I wound up just sending the thane+runelord up against the beastlord since the warriors got caught up, but they did just fine. They had no issues dealing with the lord and also managed to distract and later kill a cygor when it ran over to party.

The raiders were actually more of a problem than I thought they'd be since you have no chance of catching them with any of your units and even high leadership dwarf troops don't love being shot in the back for extended periods. Make sure that you're constantly checking for routed troops returning and sending them back in. At one point everything except my lords+grudge thrower were routed but everything came back in 15 seconds or so. I wound up trying to focus down any returning spears with my line troops and killing raiders with my remaining quarrellers. I was able to eventually able to get an army loss penalty rout with basically no melee troops left.. My grudge thrower was out of ammo maybe halfway through and quarrellers were all at 25% or less so yea - definitely a close fight, but winnable.

edit: And yea, they're just bog-standard miners - one did decently at taking care of the hounds while the other did a fine enough job at tying up some spears.

DarthRoblox fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 26, 2020

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Gamerofthegame posted:

The best anti-large is ranged units which the dwarves have plenty of.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
The elector count confederation thing, while cool, tends to be more hassle than it’s worth to me. Sure you get some really valuable towns but they also force you to waste like 5 turns reorganizing. My OCD does not approve!!!

Between this and the Dwarf love my Gelt campaign does feel a bit too easy tho. Prob going to switch it up, and that probably means a Skaven run since I haven’t tried them since right after the game came out.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Feb 26, 2020

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Mazz posted:

The elector count confederation thing, while cool, tends to be more hassle than it’s worth to me. Sure you get some really valuable towns but they also force you to waste like 5 turns reorganizing. My OCD does not approve!!!

Between this and the Dwarf love my Gelt campaign does feel a bit too easy tho. Prob going to switch it up, and that probably means a Skaven run since I haven’t tried them since right after the game came out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F85rVMmfoQ

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
Ikit's start being labeled as hard is the funniest thing in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The high magic discussion reminded me of how much I hope they don’t screw up the Ogre Unique Magic Lore. Gut Magic deserves to be visceral and strong, seeing as it’s passive in the tabletop was one of the more generally useful ones.