Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

STR posted:

Mostly did the doctor bit so I could get a note for work (they want one after missing more than 2 days in a row).

I have never understood this poo poo. I am sick. I know I'm sick. I know I'll loving get over it. Don't make me go spend money on top of the shift money I'm already losing just to have my PCP go "Yup, you need fluids, food, and rest. Here's your $125 scribble on a glorified post-it note with a letterhead."

The last stint I did with retail I put a stop to that poo poo for the rest of my stay with one incident. The second day I was out sick with a stomach bug of some kind, I was on the phone with my manager and she was adamant I bring a doctor's note when I came back. "Actually, you know what, I'll come in tomorrow." "Okay great!"

I drove in to work, arrived about ten minutes early, and scarfed a drive-through breakfast burrito. I then punched in, staggered over to the manager, and asked to speak to her in her office. I didn't even get a chance to sit down before I puked in her office trashcan. I looked her dead in the eye, said "Well, I'm here, but I clearly can't work. Do me a favor and clock me out?"

We didn't have any more fuckin' problems after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I've only seen policies that say you need a note if you're like, out for 3 consecutive days or something

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

kastein posted:

I'm kinda curious if I have you on Facebook actually. The comments sections of my angry leftist-with-cars-and-guns posts tend to get infuriating and/or funny when my low information Jeep buddies decide they better inform the libtards.

I don't have anybody from AI on my Facebook. Except for one poster.... they know who they are..

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

My wife had a reaction to the flu shot some years back, I think it was the one when there was the big swine flu scare. She had some tenderness around the injection site and some soreness with swollen lymph nodes.

We reported it to the health department (the asked for any abnormal side effects to be reported) but she was fine 2-3 days later IIRC.

She's had the shot every year since then with no side effects at all, so suppose just goes to say side effects can certainly vary from year to year.

Even so, the side effects are way better than getting a full onslaught of the flu.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Covid-19 has been a disaster for us at work... I work at a wildlife park here in Aus and a solid 80% of our visitation is from people from Asian countries, predominantly China.

So when the federal government slapped a travel ban on anyone from mainland China coming to Australia its absolutely culled our visitor numbers... if we weren’t an arm of a state government department we would absolutely be hurting right now

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

It's been weird for us - we make some of the medical supplies China needs, but can't get containers to ship them. And there's nobody to unload the containers once we get them there. On the US side, containers are quarantined for 2 weeks upon arrival, even though they've already been on the best kind of quarantine for over 2 weeks - the middle of the ocean.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Beach Bum posted:

I have never understood this poo poo. I am sick. I know I'm sick. I know I'll loving get over it. Don't make me go spend money on top of the shift money I'm already losing just to have my PCP go "Yup, you need fluids, food, and rest. Here's your $125 scribble on a glorified post-it note with a letterhead."

The last stint I did with retail I put a stop to that poo poo for the rest of my stay with one incident. The second day I was out sick with a stomach bug of some kind, I was on the phone with my manager and she was adamant I bring a doctor's note when I came back. "Actually, you know what, I'll come in tomorrow." "Okay great!"

I drove in to work, arrived about ten minutes early, and scarfed a drive-through breakfast burrito. I then punched in, staggered over to the manager, and asked to speak to her in her office. I didn't even get a chance to sit down before I puked in her office trashcan. I looked her dead in the eye, said "Well, I'm here, but I clearly can't work. Do me a favor and clock me out?"

We didn't have any more fuckin' problems after that.

That is a fuckin pro move right there. :golfclap:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I've only seen policies that say you need a note if you're like, out for 3 consecutive days or something

I've seen one day at lots of places, and that's not accounting for managers who get lovely in spite of what corporate policy says.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Darchangel posted:

Good Lord.

In other news, I have to remember to only look at FaceBook for the Marketplace and certain friends and groups.
God help me, I responded to a friend who plastered up some poo poo about a vote for Bernie being a vote for Communism, "takin' are guns", and killing babies. I don't argue well, so I'm probably just going to have to let him and his wing nut buddies "win". At least he knows where I stand, now, I guess. I've kind of just ignored his terrible political views because he was a good friend in high school, and does some cool stuff with cars and motorbikes. I don't understand how someone who doesn't seem to be a terrible person in, well, person, can be so terrible on FaceBook, publicly. For that matter, I generally keep my opinions fairly private, but his spew kind of pushed me too hard. I also don't get his absolutist this-is-fact attitude. I've been wrong so many times in my life I always leave at least a little room for doubt. Ugh. FaceBook.

"Sorry I let my friend drive you and roll you over. Thanks for being a tough little bastard and not killing him."
(Incidentally - this is the same friend as the above FaceBook regret.)

Yeah I don't go on Facebook. Perfectly normal and rational people turn into blathering idiots vomiting their ignorant stream of consciousness into the void. If that poo poo gets on you then it's your fault.
My wife wanted to pick a fight with one of my friends because of some stupid pro-trump poo poo he posted.
I told her not to feed the trolls.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Yeah I don't go on Facebook. Perfectly normal and rational people turn into blathering idiots vomiting their ignorant stream of consciousness into the void. If that poo poo gets on you then it's your fault.
My wife wanted to pick a fight with one of my friends because of some stupid pro-trump poo poo he posted.
I told her not to feed the trolls.

Yeah, I should have known better. I had him muted in my feed, but it showed up under the bell notification thing. I was hoping it was something cool like he found another vintage honda to restore or something, but nope.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Elviscat posted:

I have it on good authority from the man that invaded my group at the bar on a work trip that Covid-19 is a bioweapon, designed and unleashed by the government.

I have heard of this "Agenda 21" conspiracy bullshit about depopulation from some boomers on Facebook. They were also the same people who thought the bushfires in Australia were started by the government so it allowed the government to build a fast rail route through the burnt areas.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

You Am I posted:

I have heard of this "Agenda 21" conspiracy bullshit about depopulation from some boomers on Facebook. They were also the same people who thought the bushfires in Australia were started by the government so it allowed the government to build a fast rail route through the burnt areas.

If the government really wanted to reduce headcount and operating costs, wouldn't it make more sense to start with the Boomers? They cost more per capita, and don't contribute as much as a cheap, able, young person.
Well, in the US, I guess. Unsure about elsewhere.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Funny coronavirus story - two weeks ago I got the flu a few weeks after my in-laws got back from Asia (but not mainland China). Around a week before I got sick, my father in-law was hospitalized with a gallstone and sepsis, but the hospital was of course worried about COVID-19 so he was extensively tested, did not have it, so I was fairly certain I did not get it from them at least. I was also pretty sure I had walking pneumonia before I had the flu, so I figured I may as well call my doctor and see her to get some tamiflu and something for my lungs. Call the doctor, make an appointment to see her later in the day, everything is great.

Around 30 mins later, the leader of her practice group calls me back and says change of plans, go straight to the ER, there will be people waiting for you. I get there, everyone is treating me like I'm going to patient zero for COVID-19 in the hospital, I'm put in a negative pressure room in the ER so it can't spread, etc. Meet the ER doc, she says I don't really have COVID-19 symptoms, I say no poo poo I already told everyone on the phone the only person I've been around who was in Asia was already tested a week ago, I get tested everything is fine, I just have walking pneumonia and influenza-A.

The end result of all this was I got to pay a $250 ER visit co-pay and hang out at the hospital for four hours (and maybe a bigger bill coming in the future), versus my $30 co-pay if I just went to the doctor. I can afford to pay the higher amount although I'm not thrilled about it, but a lot of people in the US can't, or will have an even higher amount they have to pay to go to the ER (my old insurance had a $500 co-pay). As I was sitting there bored in the ER I realized the American health care system will absolutely contribute to the spread of COVID-19 if it starts to get big here, as a huge chunk of the population would just not go the ER if their doctor said go there instead coming in to your regular doc. At a bare minimum they should be giving you free ER visits and testing if they're going to send you there.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

MomJeans420 posted:

At a bare minimum they should be giving you free ER visits and testing if they're going to send you there.

FREE? In the US of GODDAMN A? Are you some kinda commie???

Honestly, though, glad you don't have it, and I'm glad that it's not hugely consequential to you. You're totally right, it'll be bad if it spreads widely here.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Rhyno posted:

kastein and Cat Terrist have in the past, clashed with the only chud in my life who's ever gotten a pass (they probably know who i mean) and it's always the best thing to observe.
I think I do but it's been a while so I can't recall the name. I'm sure I'd recognize them instantly.

Tremek posted:

Realtalk Ken you gotta quit boomerposting and arguing with FB idiots, that’s putting negative karma into the world.
absolutely not

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

You Am I posted:

It was kinda fun because I've never gotten to watch a conspiracy theory develop from the inside, the dude kept referencing PANDEMIC PLAN 3551-13 which he cited as proof that the US Gov't knew about the virus, and therefore was behind it, and that it had a higher mortality rate than the Bubonic Plague etc.

Of course 3551-13 is publicly available, and basically says "yo, keep an eye out for your units getting infected, tell us about it, and be prepared to respond if poo poo gets out of hand." But they named it loving "PANDEMIC PLAN *SCARY NUMBER SEQUENCE*" and it's written in basically incomprehensible governmentese, so of course all the normal whackadoodle people are going to get spun up about it.

Like, do they not think the US doesn't already have absolutely disastrous bioweapons available? We have MF'g smallpox on tap.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Tremek posted:

Not getting a flu shot is putting your healthy-self at a likelihood of mild inconvenience, but others that are immunocompromised or young/old around you at significantly higher risk.

Fun fact, as of this week the CDC’s reporting this year’s flu shot is significantly effective at preventing the H1N1 variant. Even still the CDC is reporting that this year the flu has a 6.8% mortality rate which incidentally is about

Yep. 2017-18 seasonal flu killed 80k people in the US alone, mostly the usual at risk groups of elderly/very young/immunocompromised people. Herd immunity is the only way to protect most of those people, so unless it's going to cause you actual medical complications, get the stick for the sake of everyone around you.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

meatpimp posted:

FREE? In the US of GODDAMN A? Are you some kinda commie???

The funny thing is it's pretty easy to see that free preventative care could save incredible amounts of money versus having to treat a ton of cases, not to mention lost productivity, but that works for health care in general, not just COVID-19.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

MomJeans420 posted:

The funny thing is it's pretty easy to see that free preventative care could save incredible amounts of money versus having to treat a ton of cases, not to mention lost productivity, but that works for health care in general, not just COVID-19.

Yeah but that's later money, now money is the only money that matters in the US

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Anyone want some soup?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

toplitzin posted:

Anyone want some soup?

Now more than ever.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

that's pro 2A by democrat standards

not sure what point you're trying to make with the latter - I grew up in Windham county, I know how that poo poo works. State as a whole is still rural and still gun owning no matter what those urbanite ex-New York flatlanders want to think.

A lot of comments tying Bernie and Vermont tend to make it sound like VT is a pastoral Silicon Valley. Mostly just pointing out that's not really the case since stating he's "pro 2A" is kind of weird.

I grew up outside Burlington and worked in Montpelier for a while before fleeing the state for somewhere slightly warmer, cheaper, and more job selection. It's an interesting and nuanced state.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

shy boy from chess club posted:

Yeah but that's later money, now money is the only money that matters in the US

We can't even get making money right, why would we be any good at saving it?

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

I made an offer last night on a house that's extremely shabby and run down, and small. The house is basically garbage, but it's sitting on a decent property in an alright place. It was a cash offer equal to the one I made on a place in January that was nearly twice as large and was actually liveable (though also in need of work), about 15% less than the (absurd) asking but still probably way more than it would be worth paying for the place.

This morning I got an 800 word essay by email from him telling me how stupid I am. Among other things, he mentions that if I expect to pay a company to do work on renovating the house I am "either stupid, naive or absurdly rich" and that "anyone who knows that they are doing should be working to fix the house themselves over the space of several years at the cost of materials". And that I should probably be a building engineer to do it properly. He finishes off by telling me that if I don't have the mettle for that sort of work, I be buying a new house from a developer.

What the actual gently caress is wrong with people

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
WTF? You're offering him cash money and he spends half an hour insulting you?

Is this in the UK or in Denmark?

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Send him a simple "OK" or regional equivalent as a reply.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
Just reply with a new offer that is another 15% lower

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Higher Education tries so hard to be as incompetent as corporations... here's an email I just received:

quote:

The monthly First Wednesday meeting in March will be held on the second Wednesday, March 11, beginning at 8:15 a.m. on the fourth floor of ****.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Modus Man posted:

Just reply with a new offer that is another 15% lower

Or one dollar lower. Either works.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Grakkus posted:

I made an offer last night on a house that's extremely shabby and run down, and small. The house is basically garbage, but it's sitting on a decent property in an alright place. It was a cash offer equal to the one I made on a place in January that was nearly twice as large and was actually liveable (though also in need of work), about 15% less than the (absurd) asking but still probably way more than it would be worth paying for the place.

This morning I got an 800 word essay by email from him telling me how stupid I am. Among other things, he mentions that if I expect to pay a company to do work on renovating the house I am "either stupid, naive or absurdly rich" and that "anyone who knows that they are doing should be working to fix the house themselves over the space of several years at the cost of materials". And that I should probably be a building engineer to do it properly. He finishes off by telling me that if I don't have the mettle for that sort of work, I be buying a new house from a developer.

I'd send him an email back saying fine, don't take my CASH offer then you idiot good luck.

Reminds me of when we made a cash offer on a kind of lovely but liveable and fixable house on a nice plot of land in BFE western NY. Dude was asking way more than it was worth and we figured he would jump at the reasonable cash offer but nope, I KNOW WHAT I GOT and three years later he dropped the price to what we were offering and still couldn't sell it for years after that. It made me happy that he probably regretted not taking our offer for years, but it also made me happy he refused the offer because then we would have been stuck in NY instead of just moving back to Florida. So thanks for not taking our totally reasonable offer dude :)

Then when I went to sell my mint rust free Florida 4x4 XJ before we left (didn't need it in FL) I asked a high price for the condition and got a shitload of emails telling me how much of an idiot I was for asking that much money for a Cherokee and that I would never sell it, and a week later sold it for my asking price :v:

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

redgubbinz posted:

Send him a simple "OK" or regional equivalent as a reply.

Do this! laugh to yourself as you send it.

Grakkus posted:

approximately half the people in the world are cunts. You found one of them

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Shitlord mcdumpowner will probably come back to you in a few weeks or months desperate to unload his hot mess.

That's when you

Modus Man posted:

Just reply with a new offer that is another 40% lower

Sorry chump, that offer was good for this one time, here's the new one and go fuckyourself with cheese grater.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I'd send him an email back saying fine, don't take my CASH offer then you idiot good luck.

Reminds me of when we made a cash offer on a kind of lovely but liveable and fixable house on a nice plot of land in BFE western NY. Dude was asking way more than it was worth and we figured he would jump at the reasonable cash offer but nope, I KNOW WHAT I GOT and three years later he dropped the price to what we were offering and still couldn't sell it for years after that. It made me happy that he probably regretted not taking our offer for years, but it also made me happy he refused the offer because then we would have been stuck in NY instead of just moving back to Florida. So thanks for not taking our totally reasonable offer dude :)

Then when I went to sell my mint rust free Florida 4x4 XJ before we left (didn't need it in FL) I asked a high price for the condition and got a shitload of emails telling me how much of an idiot I was for asking that much money for a Cherokee and that I would never sell it, and a week later sold it for my asking price :v:

I actually think I remember both of those scenarios when they happened. Unless you told them in past tense like this.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

A person bold enough to write 800 words rejecting an offer would definitely get signed up for some newletters and emails.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

LloydDobler posted:

I actually think I remember both of those scenarios when they happened. Unless you told them in past tense like this.

It was around '08 and I probably talked about it in the Jeep thread I had going. I had two XJ's, the one I took with me from Florida, and another one I found up there with a manual that needed some work that I was posting about....After fixing everything I slid on ice and hit a tree with it a few days later :v:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

My friend just looked at a single story ranch house, while admittedly had a remodeled interior, had a monolithic concrete fire station directly behind it looming over the backyard, a lovely Joe's Auto Shop next door with garbage and rotting cars strewn about, a dinky 1-car attached garage, and no basement which is highly unusual for the area. They were asking $200K (I'm sure that'll blow some minds, but that's overpriced for the area and what it is) and my other friend had to talk him out of it. A third friend lives on the same street a few blocks down, and said he's going to watch that house like a hawk and if it goes for their asking, he's putting his poo poo up for $300K immediately :v:

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Tremek posted:

I think you must be intentionally ignoring my overarching point that you are putting others at higher risk [by not getting the flu shot].

Look man, you can whine about boomers and olds on the internet or you can take the fight to the streets and and be a part of the solution :v:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I had the most amazing weekend and something happened that I think helped me get over a stage of grief I literally didnt think was possible even last week. Im so happy and I even ended up having a crush on someone and I dont think my heart will be broken forever anymore :unsmith:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I had the most amazing weekend and something happened that I think helped me get over a stage of grief I literally didnt think was possible even last week. Im so happy and I even ended up having a crush on someone and I dont think my heart will be broken forever anymore :unsmith:

That's awesome!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Most wholesome post of 2020 right here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Good poo poo man! :woop: