Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

TMMadman posted:

You could try just putting some of the dry food in a bowl with a bit of water. That should soften up the kibble and make it a little easier for the older cat to eat.

He might not eat it, but you could give it a try with a little to check.

Yeah, that's worth a shot.

I was thinking about making them their own batch of chicken broth without onion/garlic/salt next time I make my own broth. I imagine they'll scarf it down if I mix some of that in. But then I would have to use the microwave every time I feed them because it turns into jelly in the refrigerator, so maybe I'll start with just water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

seiferguy posted:

I just moved my cat into my new place and overall he's been fine, upset at first but went into exploratory mode then seemed normal. Only issue is, he hasn't used the litter box yet. I've shown it to him, and he's walked into it, but hasn't used it. Is he just still stressed? It is a new box so I'm wondering if he's not used to it. I'm only worried because he's had a urinary blockage in the past and is on the urinary SO food.

I had a similar experience 2 weeks ago. Moved, and my dude seemed normal but didn't use the litter box for a full 24+ hours. Once he felt comfortable he started going again, in a new box.

Keep an eye out for yowling or wincing when he tries to use the box - those are your bad signs that he needs to see a vet. If he's not using it at all, he's just nervous and will just go when he can't hold it anymore (hopefully in the box!).

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

taqueso posted:

OMG that video! Make a yelp in pain noise and jerk away when he grabs your leg. You want him to know that isn't good play behavior and convince him he is hurting you. Hopefully he isn't trying to hurt you, just hang out like a wild and crazy boy

I've been doing sharp "Hey!" whenever he acts up and it seems to finally get to him. I now open the food can and put it in the bowl inside my house instead of doing it outside cause of how difficult he makes it, and when I brought the bowl out he tried grabbing for my leg and stopped when I did it.

Outside of food his claws pretty much never come out. He'll even "grab" my hand with just his paws to nuzzle up against it.

So hey i should go about getting some flea stuff for him, shouldn't I? Whats good for an outdoor cat?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Not a Children posted:

I had a similar experience 2 weeks ago. Moved, and my dude seemed normal but didn't use the litter box for a full 24+ hours. Once he felt comfortable he started going again, in a new box.

Keep an eye out for yowling or wincing when he tries to use the box - those are your bad signs that he needs to see a vet. If he's not using it at all, he's just nervous and will just go when he can't hold it anymore (hopefully in the box!).

Yeah so far he's peed in it, hasn't pooped yet but I know moving stress / anxiety will cause constipation. Hopefully temporarily.

The fact that he was up almost 24 hours walking around meowing was really concerning though and I can't sleep through those things :(

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I need a sanity check. I have three cats. Two are healthy weights, while the third is a fatass. That means he is not to be trusted with free-feeding and in fact I probably can't really just give them bowls of food for measured feedings since he may well steal the food when I'm not looking (and he assuredly will finish leftovers from the other two). They are, being cats, very persnickety about being fed on time and on the dot now that they've stopped being free-fed. Instead of a quiet morning of whenever I wake up that day they start clawing me/the door/the bed at 6:30 to get fed and I've had to kick them out of the bedroom entirely at night so they don't wake me at 4AM in anticipation of waking me up at 6AM for their 8AM feeding.

I'm trying to figure out how to do a timed feeder that won't:

1. overfeed lardass;
2. actually feed all the cats so they stop bothering me;
3. not cost a thousand dollars in equipment.

I suspect I'm going to have to get one automatic feeder for lardass that dispenses his portions at set times, and then another feeder for the other two that can be tied to their chips which can be just a pile of kibble. It's expensive and I'd rather not head this route but I'm kind of desperate to make them stop clawing my carpet or meowing piteously at 4AM. I'll be happy if someone can tell me if there's a cheaper alternative or if this plan is doomed to failure before I throw down a ton of cash at chewy.com.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
My son came up with a method that worked surprisingly well. He realized that the tubby cat was also lazy and/or too heavy to jump, so we got a three-level cat tree and started putting her modest food portion on the bottom platform. We put the non-tubby cat's food on the top level. Surprisingly it worked. At first she complained bitterly to be lifted up to his platform, but she wouldn't (or maybe couldn't) climb high to get at the other cat's food, and she soon stopped complaining.

Might be worth an experiment.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

kw0134 posted:

I need a sanity check. I have three cats. Two are healthy weights, while the third is a fatass. That means he is not to be trusted with free-feeding and in fact I probably can't really just give them bowls of food for measured feedings since he may well steal the food when I'm not looking (and he assuredly will finish leftovers from the other two). They are, being cats, very persnickety about being fed on time and on the dot now that they've stopped being free-fed. Instead of a quiet morning of whenever I wake up that day they start clawing me/the door/the bed at 6:30 to get fed and I've had to kick them out of the bedroom entirely at night so they don't wake me at 4AM in anticipation of waking me up at 6AM for their 8AM feeding.

I'm trying to figure out how to do a timed feeder that won't:

1. overfeed lardass;
2. actually feed all the cats so they stop bothering me;
3. not cost a thousand dollars in equipment.

I suspect I'm going to have to get one automatic feeder for lardass that dispenses his portions at set times, and then another feeder for the other two that can be tied to their chips which can be just a pile of kibble. It's expensive and I'd rather not head this route but I'm kind of desperate to make them stop clawing my carpet or meowing piteously at 4AM. I'll be happy if someone can tell me if there's a cheaper alternative or if this plan is doomed to failure before I throw down a ton of cash at chewy.com.

When we had Tigh, we took a $5 clear tub and cut a hole in it that the other cats could fit in but his fat rear end couldn't, and put the freefeeder in the tub.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Tubby is 19 pounds of hyper athleticism. He keeps climbing to the top of the fridge in search of that secret stash of food he's sure I have hidden up there. (Narrator: there is no food up there, but Tubby is sure one day he'll discover it.) If I have to restrict access it's gotta be a hard barrier since he is energetic enough to bulldoze his way to get to it, whatever that may be. The tub is intriguing but I dunno if I can get it so it actually stops him. But for $5 it's unreasonable to not try.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Search for my posts in the thread to find the feeder I've used that fits your requirements perfectly. But yes, this is expensive.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

kw0134 posted:

Tubby is 19 pounds of hyper athleticism. He keeps climbing to the top of the fridge in search of that secret stash of food he's sure I have hidden up there. (Narrator: there is no food up there, but Tubby is sure one day he'll discover it.) If I have to restrict access it's gotta be a hard barrier since he is energetic enough to bulldoze his way to get to it, whatever that may be. The tub is intriguing but I dunno if I can get it so it actually stops him. But for $5 it's unreasonable to not try.

I love lardass cats that still act like kittens. :allears:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

You know how much that cat house cost you fucker and I haven't seen you in it once :mad: :mad: :mad:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

He's using it as a backrest!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Leal posted:

You know how much that cat house cost you fucker and I haven't seen you in it once :mad: :mad: :mad:

A general rule of thumb with cats is that the more you spend on a product for them, the less likely it is they will actually use it. They know somehow, and they do it just to gently caress with you.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Leal posted:

One day, about six months from now, you'll consider getting rid of the house, and you'll look outside and the cat will be in it and it will suddenly be his favourite thing ever.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Leal posted:

If you'd left out a cardboard box with an old blanket, he'd never leave it.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
The girls are in a territory dispute over who owns the beat-up cardboard box covered in drool. Meanwhile, their two cat beds have been empty for months.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

The girls are in a territory dispute over who owns the beat-up cardboard box covered in drool. Meanwhile, their two cat beds have been empty for months.

Sweetheart has a cardboard box next to her cat bed and she'll sometimes stand up and stretch and move from one to the other.

I saw her once draped between the two but she moved by the time I got my phone to get a picture. :negative:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

We got the cats two heated cat beds and Bean will lay in here and look content. Fuzzbutt being the rear end in a top hat he is instead chooses to lay on heat vents, in a box, under the bed, or somewhere cats don't go.

So I put his heated bed in the box and now he lays on the box.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

I break down and toss all boxes immediately. The cats actually use their beds.

Except when it's cold enough I turn the heat on, and then they just ooze across the floor. Heated floors own.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

FelicityGS posted:

I break down and toss all boxes immediately.

You monster!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Organza Quiz posted:

You monster!

:yeah:

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

Organza Quiz posted:

You monster!

Counterpoint: my cat will sleep in a box for a week or two, fight with the roommate’s cat over the box now and again, and then one evening we’ll come out to find cat pee in the corner of the box. So I can actually see the decision to break the boxes down immediately as (at least in my household) it ends up being less of a mess.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
3 days in with my cat in my allergic girlfriend's condo and its not great. He's at least calmed down and doesn't cry all the time, but her allergies are bad. So far I've done the following:

- got cat a lion cut to minimize fur
- applied allerpet at the beginning of the week, will start doing this twice weekly and making sure I get the belly and genitals well
- air purifiers in each room with a powerful one in the biggest room
- vacuuming, there's still a lot of stuff on the floor so it's been tough to set up the auto vacuum, that will be done today and I'll set that to daily
- cat isn't allowed in bedroom, I make sure clothes worn outside don't get to the bed
- girlfriend is taking daily claritin but missed a day and that's made her miserable

I dunno, I'm doing my best but I really don't want to make my girlfriend miserable all the time :(

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

seiferguy posted:

3 days in with my cat in my allergic girlfriend's condo and its not great. He's at least calmed down and doesn't cry all the time, but her allergies are bad. So far I've done the following:

- applied allerpet at the beginning of the week, will start doing this twice weekly and making sure I get the belly and genitals well
- vacuuming, there's still a lot of stuff on the floor so it's been tough to set up the auto vacuum, that will be done today and I'll set that to daily
- cat isn't allowed in bedroom, I make sure clothes worn outside don't get to the bed
- girlfriend is taking daily claritin but missed a day and that's made her miserable

I dunno, I'm doing my best but I really don't want to make my girlfriend miserable all the time :(

Get a referral to allergist. I literally may have gotten pneumonia from my stink baby, too much gunk in my lungs that wouldnt leave. If she starts coughing get her an inhaler stat.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

seiferguy posted:

Fwiw I don’t think Claritin has ever worked for my wife for cat allergies. Might be worth trying Zyrtec or a combo pill like Claritin D or Zyrtec D, although the pseudoephedrine in the D forms can cause some side effects. Something like Flonase or Nasacort steroid nasal spray may help too. Definitely can’t miss a day and it may take a while to build it up in her system to be most effective. Might be worth it to visit an allergist but depending on who you get they may or may not be helpful. Sometimes they will just say get rid of the cat and not offer any other options.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Organza Quiz posted:

You monster!

They only care about them the day they come in, and without fail no longer use them from then on. It ends up just being wasted space.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

FelicityGS posted:

They only care about them the day they come in, and without fail no longer use them from then on. It ends up just being wasted space.

Meanwhile on the flip side, Sweetheart has used this shoebox as a nap spot basically since I got the shoes. :v:

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

After years of having rats but getting tired of their short lifespan, we've just switched sides and got these two little devils. They're brothers, and while the white one is a lazy couch potato, his brother is a tornado taking the form of a cat.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I tried to play feather with rear end in a top hat yesterday. But rather than try and get the actual physical feather he decided to try and hunt the shadow it cast on the ceiling.

He wanted the big feather not the puny little one

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SpacePope posted:

After years of having rats but getting tired of their short lifespan, we've just switched sides and got these two little devils. They're brothers, and while the white one is a lazy couch potato, his brother is a tornado taking the form of a cat.

They look Siamese. Prepare for :words:

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I wish I was better at understanding what my cat was saying. He’s quite vocal, but I have a hard time discerning “meow” from “meow”.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
My phone told me it's been exactly one year since we adopted Katya, who had then been flown over from Romania after getting fixed and vaccinated.
I remember we were all set to raise a former stray with commitment issues, but she was so sweet and social from day one! She quickly became a confident smart-rear end too, from silent meows to yelling at us for food at all times, we cat-proofed our backyard THREE times (still not Katya-proof) and turned up our door-handles within the week. She also tightened up our kitchen-etiquette by at least taking one (1) bite out of every food-item left out, we're running out of places to safely store food so I'm thinking about child-proofing the cabinets too.

She's our first cat and I'm so glad we picked her. I love my fuzzy little goblin. :love:

Here she is the day we got her:

And now, still tiny but fierce.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Happy gacha day Katya!

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

seiferguy posted:

Definitely have her go to an allergist. I also agree that Claritin is basically worthless and Zyrtec or Allegra is better. My allergist has me take Flonase and Singulair along with Zyrtec and that helped a lot.

Does your vacuum have a HEPA filter? If not you are probably making the situation worse by flinging all that dander back into the air.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
HAPPY KATYA DAY!

Aleta just did what I can only describe as a kitty suplex on Luna.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I had to say goodbye to my Chunky boi this week. Not to make this a pity party, but here’s a photo of my friend.

It was the brown one. I’ve still got the silver one, and she’s getting the poo poo cuddled and stroked out of her.

She isn’t as affable as the brown one. He was such a slut, he’d come to anyone for a stroke.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Cats have pissed on my clothes and barfed on the surge protector in my office in the last 24 hours.

They seem fine health wise, healthy appetites and usual activity levels.

I really hope I don't have another urinary tract issue kitty, considering the lacking veterinary healthcare in my city caused me to lose the last cat who had pee problems...

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Some update on my cat. She's 15 years old with 25% kidney capacity. And this thing on her nose is a malignant tumour.

I asked the vet for her advice when she informed me about the tumour and her response was "whenever you want to put her down we can do that"

She's as happy and active as ever and her behaviour hasn't changed one bit. Besides making sneezy noises. I guess I'll postpone it until her mood declines.

Katt fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Feb 29, 2020

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

^
What a good girl! I’m so sorry about her illness, but I bet she’s had a wonderful 15 years

I’ve a question about managing an indoor kitty’s stress with visiting outdoor cats. My kitty is indoor and very territorial, she really doesn’t like other cats. There’s lots of cats in our area and about 7 of them regularly visit our garden. In particular one has no fear of her whatsoever and will come close to her at windows etc. and freak her out.
Since this cat started visiting us our kitty has been on hyper alert and has started peeing in weird places. We’ve tried Feliway diffusers and supplements from the vet to relax her but any time that cat shows up the whole thing just starts all over again. We can’t always be there to block her from seeing him either. I have tried feeding her treats and such when I notice but I don’t want to accidentally reinforce any bad behaviour.

Wondering if anyone has any experience with this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Joburg posted:

Definitely have her go to an allergist. I also agree that Claritin is basically worthless and Zyrtec or Allegra is better. My allergist has me take Flonase and Singulair along with Zyrtec and that helped a lot.

Does your vacuum have a HEPA filter? If not you are probably making the situation worse by flinging all that dander back into the air.

I have an auto vacuum (a eufy 12) that has a high performance filter which I believe is HEPA and a hoover vacuum designed for pets that has one that I'm getting a new filter for now. Doing vacuums daily and I'll start doing the allerpet every other day.