Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I read a random Facebook comment that said Disney reusesthe Sigourney weaver animatronic for Finn and the wicked witch for Kylo Ren in rise of the resistance. Is there any truth to that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Boarding Group 23! That was surprisingly easy but also were were trying extremely hard.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Empress Brosephine posted:

I read a random Facebook comment that said Disney reusesthe Sigourney weaver animatronic for Finn and the wicked witch for Kylo Ren in rise of the resistance. Is there any truth to that?

I've heard the same and the Finn one potentially could be but it's unlikely, especially since there's technically two of him in that room, and x4 if you count both parks. The Kylo animatronic is a newer generation than the witch. I think numbering wise Kylo is a 1000 animatronic and the witch was a 100 series. Hella terminator vibes.

Tim Whatley fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Feb 22, 2020

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I don't think animatronic reuse is as common as it once was. Both of those animatronics (unless fully replaced) were almost 30 years old, completely obsolete. There's no need for a company as wealthy as Disney to go through the pains of stripping them down for reuse when they can just build a set of identical brand new animatronics with the latest technology.

The rumor obviously comes from their similar motion, but that's because there's still limitations to how much an animatronic can do , especially one that has to be robust and cost-effective for running its cycle dozens or hundreds of times a day 365 days a year, and you're not usually close enough to see any subtle motion that a more expensive animatronic could do. Most Disney animatronics do some variant of the rocking and arm-waving motions and newer generations just do it faster and more realistically.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s just hate for the new Star Wars movies

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Sigournry Weaver being the shadow power behind the First Order would be a hell of a lot cooler than Palpatine TBH

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Bottom Liner posted:

Sigournry Weaver being the shadow power behind the First Order would be a hell of a lot cooler than Palpatine TBH

They tried that with Defenders and it didn't really work out.

She was kind of cool in Paul, though

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

I'd heard the Kylo one in the final room was the same as Elsa from Frozen Ever After

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I heard Johnny Depp sneaks in and plays Kylo sometimes and people can’t even tell it’s not the real Jack Sparrow

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

BlueBayou posted:

I'd heard the Kylo one in the final room was the same as Elsa from Frozen Ever After

Let the past Go. Kill it, if you have to.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Kylo isn't actually an animatronic but an actor and it's me. That's why he flipped off nanigans.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

So apparently there's a cheat you can do on Smuggler's Run that will enable "Chewbacca Mode" which means instead of Hondo giving you orders, Chewie just yells at you for 5 minutes.

Chewbacca mode

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

We walked straight over from our reservation at Oga’s and I told a First Order Officer her hat looked stupid and she yelled at me :(

But holy crap Rise was one of the most incredible things I’ve ever experienced. It reminded me a lot of doing The Void in that it was more of an experience than a ride and I feel like it should be talked about using spoiler tags.

There were so many “There’s no way they’re going to...” moments.

There’s no way those transport doors are going to open and we’ll be in a different place than before.”

There’s no way those AT-AT guns are going to swivel down and aim at us.

There’s no way the airlock is going to open and this ride is somehow going to become a weightless motion simulator.

I remember getting off the final scene and looking around at everyone in my group just kind of shuffling back into the land and staring at each other in disbelief.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Can anyone compare for me the experience of Disney/Orlando (or I guess even just travel vacations in general) with an 8 month old to that of an 18 month old?

My in laws (who have a 4 yr old and young twins) are very keen on going in April and having us come along when our son would be 8 months - so still a lot of napping, breastfeeding, can’t really tell you what he wants, etc. and my assumption is that it’d be very unlikely we’d get any significant amount of “ahhhh vacation” time.

Our proposition is that we go next year in February when he is about 18 months old, figuring that while he could be more prone to fits and tantrums, he could at least be up a bit longer, fed some snacks/real food, enjoy seeing the characters.

Like to us it is a no brainer to wait, because I also think that even if we spend a couple days by the pool, an 8 month old can still be incredibly high maintenance and not really make it worth it. However they are really insisting and saying it would be better now (which I think is partly because they want an extra hand with their kids!!), so I’m wondering if maybe I just have some bad assumptions and people here may be able to share their experiences.

Crazyweasel fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 25, 2020

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Both are incredibly high maintenance. Napping isn’t too bad if they’ll nap in the stroller. If you plan to stop breastfeeding by 18 months then that’s a big savings in maintenance but the kid will be running all around at all times so you’ll have that to deal with instead.

I’ll have to go back and check pictures for ages but there’s an age where they’re too young to know what’s going on and they like the characters followed by a few years where it’s really dicey and odds are they will like them from far away but be terrified up close.

At either age get sound protective earmuffs for the fireworks shows. Fireworks noise can scare the hell out of little kids.

Really though, go if you think you can have a nice time. It’s not really for them when they’re that little.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I’m of the opinion taking kids under the age of 3 to WDW is pointless. They’ll have no memory of it, and throwing off their routine isn’t worth it.

People do it all the time, and they may truly think it’s for the kids, but it’s not. The parents want the pictures of their precious kids with the characters. It’s stressful for the parents, the kid, and everyone else in the party.

Hell my kids are 10 and 8 now and don’t even recall their first 2 trips at all. They were 5 and 3 their first visit.

I probably don’t have a popular opinion, but I stand by it.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Hazo posted:

We walked straight over from our reservation at Oga’s and I told a First Order Officer her hat looked stupid and she yelled at me :(

Do the people they select for this have some kind of training or theater experience? I was really impressed that it wasn't just your regular bored dudes telling you which number to go to.

skipdogg posted:

I’m of the opinion taking kids under the age of 3 to WDW is pointless. They’ll have no memory of it, and throwing off their routine isn’t worth it.

All kids are different but the first time we went our daughter was a couple months shy of 3 and it was totally worth not having to pay for her for anything. Our only problems were once we had to buy her an all new outfit in the park and one night she slept through fireworks.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

skipdogg posted:

People do it all the time, and they may truly think it’s for the kids, but it’s not. The parents want the pictures of their precious kids with the characters. It’s stressful for the parents, the kid, and everyone else in the party.

Hell my kids are 10 and 8 now and don’t even recall their first 2 trips at all. They were 5 and 3 their first visit.

I agree. Though your 5 year old may have been really underwhelmed or overwhelmed by it. We went to Disneyland when ours was 4 and he remembers every detail vividly, especially the scary parts like fireworks, people in costume and Darth Vader causing an explosion a mile away.

We're going to Disney world in april for the first time specifically because he's now 7 (and it's our 10 year anniversary.) That way we hope he can enjoy it more and there's less maintenance required.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

skipdogg posted:

I don't have great memories of it, but I definitely remember being on horizons as a literal toddler.

I think it really depends on if you're a disney regular or if this is the kids' one-and-only-trip-ever. If it is wait until they're super pumped to go (6-8 is usual). If you're frequenters, who cares.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Renegret posted:

The first time I went to Disney with my now wife, we rope dropped Magic Kingdom and headed straight for...Gaston's Tavern.

That's when I knew she was the one for me.

My now wife learned how to make Lefou's Brew for me, so same boat.

Now we're days away from our honeymoon trip, which includes two days at Disneyland.

Bottom Liner posted:

Rey and Jar Jar share a joint while awaiting the end of the galaxy.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Chapek just became CEO, effective immediately

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/25/disney-names-bob-chapek-next-ceo.html

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

That’s a long way to go just to make another chapter in the Imagineering Story

Realtalk did we know this was coming?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Hazo posted:

That’s a long way to go just to make another chapter in the Imagineering Story

Realtalk did we know this was coming?

Iger said he was leaving by 2021. Guess he wanted out earlier?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Skeezy posted:

Iger said he was leaving by 2021. Guess he wanted out earlier?

He’s remaining “executive chairman” until the end of 2021, which could easily be a meaningless position pulling a salary. I wonder if there’s drama behind the scenes or personal reasons that resulted in him being so abruptly replaced.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah he was stepping down in 2021. I think after launching D+ and wrapping up the Fox merger it does make some sense instead of leaving halfway through whatever they'll be up to in 2 years. He'll stay on for 22 months to advise Chapek in the transition.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

He’s remaining “executive chairman” until the end of 2021, which could easily be a meaningless position pulling a salary. I wonder if there’s drama behind the scenes or personal reasons that resulted in him being so abruptly replaced.

Looking forward to Disney War 2 then.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Iger's wanted out for a while. I'm sure he has more money than he ever needs, and probably wants to do something else. I hope he's not ill or anything though, and just goes and does rich guy stuff the rest of his life.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Why did we go from one Bob to another

Also did we know it was gonna be Chapek? I knew there was rumblings about it.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah it was going to be Chapek once Tom Staggs got forced out or whatever happened there

Spaceship Earth closes May 26th

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...20200226200008F

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Tim Whatley posted:

Yeah it was going to be Chapek once Tom Staggs got forced out or whatever happened there

Spaceship Earth closes May 26th

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...20200226200008F

Any reopening date?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Nottherealaborn posted:

Any reopening date?

"A year or two"

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Gotta get my last ride in for sure.
Doesn't Iger have a memoir out? I should probably read that.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Soooo this is probably good news for the parks as a whole right? A lot of people were unhappy with Chapek.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Excited to ride Spaceship Earth for the last time before it becomes whatever it is going to be in May

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Glad I’m getting one more Spaceship Earth in next week.

Chapek taking over officially is eggghhhh to me. Not crazy about whatever he’s planning.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Anyone willing to pick up a pair of the new peony ears for me in Disney Springs?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Anya posted:

Glad I’m getting one more Spaceship Earth in next week.

Chapek taking over officially is eggghhhh to me. Not crazy about whatever he’s planning.

“You know how we have multiple huge ride projects in the pipeline, Epcot is basically shut down and un-navigable, yet the parks are more overpriced and overcrowded than ever and we’ve got more money than god?

I’m thinkin we should raise AP prices.”

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I read Iger's autobiography, he wanted to leave a few years ago but stuck on for Shanghai/Fox/Disney+. Now that they're done, I'm not surprised he's leaving a bit early.

Not sure how to feel about Chapek taking over. He's known as a penny pincher, and his time running the parks has been a little up, a little down.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Bottom Liner posted:

Soooo this is probably good news for the parks as a whole right? A lot of people were unhappy with Chapek.

Probably depends very much who gets put in Chapek's old position. I don't really know who the candidates are, but if its someone from the parks organization, its probably a good sign; the more "outsider" someone is, the most I'd guess Chapek is still driving things. I don't think the direction the parks have been going is entirely bad, though. Some of the more obvious missteps are purely operational - there's no excuse for the entertainment and hour cuts we've been seeing- and they could be quickly corrected by a boss interested in such a thing.

Anyway our dining reservation window is opening up soon so we're sketching out the shape of our 9 day (!) trip.

EP: Biergarten
MK: Skipper
AK: Disney Springs
HS: 50s Prime Time
EP: Space 220
HS, hop to MK: Cape May Cafe seafood buffet
MK, hop to EP: Ohana
AK: Sanaa
MK: Leave before dinner

Mostly posting here to ask about Disney Springs recommendations (we're on free dining :toot:, so the more expensive 1 credit, the better), and to get a third set of eyes on the pattern to make sure we aren't overloading/short on fastpasses for a particular park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Hazo posted:

“You know how we have multiple huge ride projects in the pipeline, Epcot is basically shut down and un-navigable, yet the parks are more overpriced and overcrowded than ever and we’ve got more money than god?

I’m thinkin we should raise AP prices.”

Raising ticket prices is one way to help quell crowds, so it's not the dumbest idea, just not the most friendly to guests.