Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Deviant posted:

Fair, and renting a house is on my ideas list.

I guess assuming I did decide to buy, what would be the first step? Not gonna do anything today or even tomorrow, but I'm unclear on who to talk to first.
Talk to your friends and family who you consider financially savvy who have bought a house recently. Then call their real estate agent and set up a meet and greet. Be very skeptical, because your real estate agent's goals are not aligned with yours. But they can be a tremendous asset if you know your bounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Leperflesh posted:

If you are considering family in the future, look into your school district too. That's an enormous factor that families with kids typically look at when buying.

Consider that your future potential spouse might not work near the house you buy, or might have their own preferences for what to have in a house. (On the other hand, perhaps owning your own house will make you a more attractive potential mate! I dunno, this is just spitballing stuff.)

And as an aside: you can rent a house with a garage, although if you own that garage you can make modifications and stuff, so: when comparing renting vs. buying, you might take a look at what it'd cost to rent a house.
Counterpoint: If you're not even in a relationship, you can disregard school districts. They're largely priced in and having future kids go to elementary school when you're not even in a relationship is on the 10+ year trajectory.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dik Hz posted:

Counterpoint: If you're not even in a relationship, you can disregard school districts. They're largely priced in and having future kids go to elementary school when you're not even in a relationship is on the 10+ year trajectory.

Sure, it's a low-importance factor, but if you are considering two neighborhoods and one has better schools, it could be a tipping point factor that a single person might not think to consider.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Leperflesh posted:

Sure, it's a low-importance factor, but if you are considering two neighborhoods and one has better schools, it could be a tipping point factor that a single person might not think to consider.
It's almost always priced in, though.

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016

Leperflesh posted:

School quality can change drastically in 10 years though, and lots of those ratings are basically "how segregated is this school by class and race," which can also change about your overall town in that timeframe. Also unless your school is one of the untouchables-caste of schools (that def. do exist) it's probably fine-to-great even if it gets like 5/10 on some of those ratings.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Leperflesh posted:

Go on redfin or zillow, find houses for sale, and start showing up at the open houses. I see this as a combination of "practice looking at a house for 30 minutes and trying to figure out what's up with that house" and "practice touring around your city and seeing what different neighborhoods are really like." Too many people start looking at houses one week and make an offer 5 days later on the 3rd house they've ever looked at and I think those people often get screwed because they haven't developed an "eye" for what they really want, what sorts of problems there might be, or even just seen what the full breadth of their options really are.

When you start getting within like maybe 3-6 months of when you'd like to buy a house, get a preapproval letter (from any bank it doesn't matter at this point yet) for an amount no more than the max you'll bid on a house. This is likely to be a lower number than what a bank will actually offer you.

This is a good idea, and pushes me back towards 'eh, i can rent one more year'. I'll be in a better place down payment-wise, and in a stable world, my income will continue or hold steady. That could change tomorrow, but if I lived with that kind of fear I'd never leave my apartment.

Dik Hz posted:

Talk to your friends and family who you consider financially savvy who have bought a house recently. Then call their real estate agent and set up a meet and greet. Be very skeptical, because your real estate agent's goals are not aligned with yours. But they can be a tremendous asset if you know your bounds.

Also good advice, thanks.

Dik Hz posted:

Makes sense. Even if I got married and concieved tomorrow, they wouldn't be in school for several years.

I think I'm probably gonna rent one more year, if a pile of money were to fall into my lap, or the perfect house were to appear I could always budget for breaking the lease. It's easier to pay a lease term fee than to sell a house.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 21, 2020

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dik Hz posted:

It's almost always priced in, though.

lots of things are priced in; you could buy less house in an area with nicer schools vs. more house in an area with worse schools, that's the consideration. But:

Academician Nomad posted:

School quality can change drastically in 10 years though, and lots of those ratings are basically "how segregated is this school by class and race," which can also change about your overall town in that timeframe. Also unless your school is one of the untouchables-caste of schools (that def. do exist) it's probably fine-to-great even if it gets like 5/10 on some of those ratings.

That's a good point too, and yeah it's a long time before your not-yet-met spouse is likely to be having your kids in school, although maybe they could come with their own kids, so... yeah.

Single people being more open to job and life changes is one reason they tend to not buy homes as much (the other reason being they tend to be younger, earlier in their careers, and therefore not have enough money to buy). Marriage and family are perhaps the biggest life changes. But everyone is different, and many single people are fully able to make a commitment to owning a home without a problem.

I raise these issues as examples of things to think about, not as definite problems with Deviant's idea. Home ownership is a lifestyle decision as much as a financial decision, but most of the advice I see online is about the financial side and I like to try to emphasize the lifestyle side here on SA.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Inner Light posted:

Why is that stupid? To me seems like a fairly straightforward and expected offer for an applicant with excellent credit history. Banks will make well over $100k off your loan, why would they not be motivated to sell?

Sorry I meant stupidly good compared to what I'm used to hearing. The 5/10% down is insanely good for me as I own 4 units already and this will probably be a duplex that I'll partially rent to try and break even on the mortgage.

But also stupid because the mortgage offer is so great but the selection here is so poor.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Zero VGS posted:

Sorry I meant stupidly good compared to what I'm used to hearing. The 5/10% down is insanely good for me as I own 4 units already and this will probably be a duplex that I'll partially rent to try and break even on the mortgage.

But also stupid because the mortgage offer is so great but the selection here is so poor.

Since you seem to be experienced with this sort of thing, I have a question. I've been considering a 2/2 condo for around $300k or 400k and 20% down. I live with a roommate now, not having one would be nice.

If I really stretch the monthly payment to the max I can comfortably afford without a tenant, a bank would probably lend enough for me to purchase a $600k duplex with 10% down. Then I'd live in half the duplex, rent the other.

Does that scenario sound reasonable? Also, this would be my first home purchase. I haven't run it by my realtor just yet. I assume there's no landlord thread anymore so this is my best bet.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Inner Light posted:

Since you seem to be experienced with this sort of thing, I have a question. I've been considering a 2/2 condo for around $300k or 400k and 20% down. I live with a roommate now, not having one would be nice.

If I really stretch the monthly payment to the max I can comfortably afford without a tenant, a bank would probably lend enough for me to purchase a $600k duplex with 10% down. Then I'd live in half the duplex, rent the other.

Does that scenario sound reasonable? Also, this would be my first home purchase. I haven't run it by my realtor just yet. I assume there's no landlord thread anymore so this is my best bet.

What exactly is a 2/2 condo? Haven't heard that terminology in my area. Are you buying an entire duplex multifamily house or is it something else?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Number of bedrooms / number of bathrooms. If there’s a third number, it’s number of garage spaces.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Ah, I was getting confused because I thought that was what he was asking me about.

So you're thinking of forgoing the 2/2 condo and just getting a duplex instead?

If you can afford a duplex with the 600k, the underwriter will probably want to see that you can afford it if half the place remains vacant. My rental incomes are considered but that's because I've had them all for at least a year so they show on my tax returns.

In practice you'll need to be sure that you can afford having half vacant for a long stretch without going bankrupt. You'll need some reserves in case of an expensive repair like a leaky roof, or if you math it out and decide renovating the kitchen or bathroom would be a good ROI. In my area the houses have pre-existing lead which is a huge pain in the rear end only if you rent to a family with kids under 6 and they decide to gently caress you on it.

One of my places has a smaller first floor apt, with the second floor having a finished attic that has 3 more beds and a second bath. That lets me rent the upper half for enough that it almost breaks even on my mortgage. I had it rented for a year straight but suddenly I'm having trouble getting it rerented (been vacant 6 months months now, I turned down a really shady family that was willing and the rest have been lookey-loos). If you'd be sweating bullets losing over 3k / month then it might not be the plan for you. You might also check to see if the basement can be finished. Even if it is only zoned for 2 units, you could finish the basement, live in that yourself or use as an "in-law apartment" so you're not ratted out and can earn extra rental income in a pinch.

edit:

Where it gets real sweet is after you've been renting the duplex for a couple years, you can buy a second house and keep renting the first, using the historic income and expected income from the soon to be vacant second unit in order to qualify for the next place you buy. That's how I'm doing it, Monopoly Style.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Feb 21, 2020

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Zero VGS posted:

Ah, I was getting confused because I thought that was what he was asking me about.

So you're thinking of forgoing the 2/2 condo and just getting a duplex instead?

If you can afford a duplex with the 600k, the underwriter will probably want to see that you can afford it if half the place remains vacant. My rental incomes are considered but that's because I've had them all for at least a year so they show on my tax returns.

In practice you'll need to be sure that you can afford having half vacant for a long stretch without going bankrupt. You'll need some reserves in case of an expensive repair like a leaky roof, or if you math it out and decide renovating the kitchen or bathroom would be a good ROI. In my area the houses have pre-existing lead which is a huge pain in the rear end only if you rent to a family with kids under 6 and they decide to gently caress you on it.

One of my places has a smaller first floor apt, with the second floor having a finished attic that has 3 more beds and a second bath. That lets me rent the upper half for enough that it almost breaks even on my mortgage. I had it rented for a year straight but suddenly I'm having trouble getting it rerented (been vacant 6 months months now, I turned down a really shady family that was willing and the rest have been lookey-loos). If you'd be sweating bullets losing over 3k / month then it might not be the plan for you. You might also check to see if the basement can be finished. Even if it is only zoned for 2 units, you could finish the basement, live in that yourself or use as an "in-law apartment" so you're not ratted out and can earn extra rental income in a pinch.

edit:

Where it gets real sweet is after you've been renting the duplex for a couple years, you can buy a second house and keep renting the first, using the historic income and expected income from the soon to be vacant second unit in order to qualify for the next place you buy. That's how I'm doing it, Monopoly Style.

Good info, thanks. Maybe not for me since I would not want to stomach paying full mortgage for half the year, which seems very possible. At what point do you consider lowering the rent you're offering with a 6 month vacancy, or has that already been your strategy?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Inner Light posted:

Good info, thanks. Maybe not for me since I would not want to stomach paying full mortgage for half the year, which seems very possible. At what point do you consider lowering the rent you're offering with a 6 month vacancy, or has that already been your strategy?

It's priced at market, maybe a couple hundred below to be honest, it's just slow right now because we're outside the moving season. If I got desperate I could try advertising to everyone at my company, or organizing something like renting each individual room to a pile of college students, but that takes a lot to coordinate and for now I can write off my losses from my income so it's not quite so bad.

The shittiest part is there's some families with kids on section 8 government vouchers that are desperate to rent from me and I'd love to have them, but I can't afford the tens of thousands for a delead certificate so section 8 won't allow them.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Inner Light posted:

Just be aware that the bank might classify it as an investment property, which means you'll end up with a higher rate on your mortgage.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

So, I live in Austin. I have no real intention of leaving for the next 30 years or so- if I’m eyeing a few acres in a place like Elgin, Lund, or Coupland (exurbs/country towns about 30 miles east from downtown Austin) how liable is it that in those decades the Austin - San Antonio metroplex engulfs those little towns?

Is that a good thing, if it does happen?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

El Mero Mero posted:

Just be aware that the bank might classify it as an investment property, which means you'll end up with a higher rate on your mortgage.

I can tell you from a huge amount of experience with this... if you tell the bank you plan to owner-occupy they will absolutely not classify your first duplex as an investment. You can even possibly get up to a 4 or 5 unit as your first place if you owner occupy, depending on the bank.

Where it gets hard to impossible is when it is your second house. The banks use a "desirability" guideline that basically says "no one in a single family would want to change to a 2 family, no one in a 2 family would change to a 3 family" and so on. I've tried dozens of banks and no underwriter would let me go from this duplex to a triple decker (without having to pay investor rates). The best I can do is just another duplex closer to work.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Pook Good Mook posted:

Read as much of this topic as I could, put in my first offer on a home today. Wish this lurker luck.

Following up on this, offer accepted for $5k less than list price, very quick closing date (which is fine because we're renting). First house but very good credit so we got an outrageously good rate on our 30-year. Little stressed because my honeymoon bill came due March 1st and paid the equivalent of our down payment in one go, then put an offer on a house 1 week later so money is tighter than it would be in two months.

Anyway, house is 15 years old, they've replaced the water heater, furnace was recently upgraded, newish appliances we get to keep. Only issues in the inspection were some niggly things: AC unit is from 15 years ago, so are smoke detectors (no CO2 detection), could use slightly more insulation, minor fixable issues with roof. Biggest annoyance is that the current owners clearly have a DIY delusion and did things like take out the kitchen's back-splash and then didn't caulk the gap with the wall (sink is on the island), they painted a few rooms and very clearly didn't use painters tape and looks like poo poo if you know what you're looking at, they removed a mirror/vanity from two bathrooms and didn't re-finish the wall so you see mounting points, they obviously did their own tilework in a shower and it doesn't line up (and they used grout instead of caulk). Small, non structural stuff and all cosmetic, but annoying because a competent non-lazy person wouldn't have left the job the way they did and the work we'll need to do is entirely because they just did a lazy job.

Anyway, it's stressful but exciting to have our own place. This board is super helpful.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I have to drain my water heater to remove some sediment but the goddamn spigot was made on Mars and doesn't completely fit the three hoses I've tried.
Maybe I need some plumbers tape because it leaks pretty hard.

Plus the spigot is basically on the floor, so I don't have much wiggle room.

I just wish the floor had a drain so I didn't need to fuss with hoses and buckets.

Anyone have experience with this?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Can you post a picture? It's hard to believe you're running into anything other than a hose bib/garden hose hookup. But I suppose it's possible.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

wolfs posted:

So, I live in Austin. I have no real intention of leaving for the next 30 years or so- if I’m eyeing a few acres in a place like Elgin, Lund, or Coupland (exurbs/country towns about 30 miles east from downtown Austin) how liable is it that in those decades the Austin - San Antonio metroplex engulfs those little towns?

The general trend is for upwardly mobile people to buy in urban areas, which is pushing urban prices through the roof

Katy, TX is 60 miles from downtown Houston. It's possible Austin will grow as big as Houston today but seems unlikely to me. Houston is the global leader in petrochemical, medicine and aerospace, it's also got the network effect of being a top 3 American city by size

Austin has live music and tech. Austin is booming right now but mostly due to lower cost of living and existing tech. It's a tech hot spot but most of the people moving to Austin want to live within 5 miles of downtown

If your 10 acres is near a major intersection or commuter light rail it might be worth something, but I think all that land has already been bought up by developers and/or institutional speculators

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
It's happening, goons. :siren:MY WIFE:siren: and I are looking to move the gently caress out of this Winter Hell and buy a house someplace less lovely, in about two years. We're looking at Myrtle Beach, maybe? I dunno how there are so many nice houses in our price range there, but I'm down for it. It's considered like unbelievably cold there if it's 28 degrees, which is like... lmao

Also supposedly they're not too racist, which is an important factor for picking a place to live :negative:
The hard part, I'm assuming, is gonna be navigating the real estate market in a place we don't live yet? We're planning to go there later this year to test the waters.

Other options include Greensboro, NC, and some of the satellite towns around Raleigh.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

wolfs posted:

In the next 30 years? Odds are pretty good. I'm in the San Antonio area and I recently moved to Bulverde, and they're going through this right now. 30 years ago, it was nothing but farm/cattle land up here, and a few 5+ acre subdivisions. Now there are tons of people moving to the Bulverde/Spring Branch area, and bringing all the growth that comes along with it. The older people on Nextdoor absolutely hate it, but you can't stop it. They don't complain about their property being worth more money, but they do love to complain about everything else and how their "quiet little part of the hill country is being ruined"

I've only lived in Texas for about 14 years and the growth I've personally seen in the San Antonio/Austin metro area is nuts. I used to commute from San Antonio to Austin a few times a month to visit a remote company office in Austin, and there used to be large patches of undeveloped land on I-35. Actual breaks between Schertz/New Braunfels/San Marcos, Kyle/Buda, and Austin. Now it's pretty much fully developed. There might be 2 miles north of San Marcos that is still undeveloped before you hit Kyle.

I would expect Elgin to be the first to get engulfed, with the growth already happening in the 130/290 Manor area, it won't be but probably 10 years before it's all the way out to Elgin.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

deadly_pudding posted:

It's happening, goons. :siren:MY WIFE:siren: and I are looking to move the gently caress out of this Winter Hell and buy a house someplace less lovely, in about two years. We're looking at Myrtle Beach, maybe? I dunno how there are so many nice houses in our price range there, but I'm down for it. It's considered like unbelievably cold there if it's 28 degrees, which is like... lmao

Also supposedly they're not too racist, which is an important factor for picking a place to live :negative:
The hard part, I'm assuming, is gonna be navigating the real estate market in a place we don't live yet? We're planning to go there later this year to test the waters.

Other options include Greensboro, NC, and some of the satellite towns around Raleigh.

The Raleigh/Durham area is nice, but Wake County is among the fastest growing counties in the country right now. Don't know if that's good or bad for you, but here we are. Lots of companies setting up shop though. Mostly pharma/tech, but there's other stuff to be had. A bit out of the city there's a decent amount of manufacturing (pharma and automotive).

Housing market here is kinda hot, but cost of living is reasonable so you don't have the problem of Boston/DC/San Fran where you need to make 6 figures just to afford a rental without roommates.

About 2-ish hours from the beach, and about 3-4 hours from the mountains. We like it here, not much of a racism problem as long as you stay close to Raleigh. I mean, you'll still see confederate flags around, but that's about as bad as it gets.

But like.... what's your plan? Probably ought to pick a place to move, get jobs sorted out, and rent for a while before you buy a house, eh?

also lol myrtle beach... that's a tourist town. Redneck Riviera I've been told it's called. But I dunno if there's life outside tourism there or not. Wilmington has some stuff outside tourism, so maybe look there before myrtle beach?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

DaveSauce posted:

The Raleigh/Durham area is nice, but Wake County is among the fastest growing counties in the country right now. Don't know if that's good or bad for you, but here we are. Lots of companies setting up shop though. Mostly pharma/tech, but there's other stuff to be had. A bit out of the city there's a decent amount of manufacturing (pharma and automotive).

Housing market here is kinda hot, but cost of living is reasonable so you don't have the problem of Boston/DC/San Fran where you need to make 6 figures just to afford a rental without roommates.

About 2-ish hours from the beach, and about 3-4 hours from the mountains. We like it here, not much of a racism problem as long as you stay close to Raleigh. I mean, you'll still see confederate flags around, but that's about as bad as it gets.

But like.... what's your plan? Probably ought to pick a place to move, get jobs sorted out, and rent for a while before you buy a house, eh?

also lol myrtle beach... that's a tourist town. Redneck Riviera I've been told it's called. But I dunno if there's life outside tourism there or not. Wilmington has some stuff outside tourism, so maybe look there before myrtle beach?

She's a home health aide and I can do remote software development. Job market doesn't hugely impact us; I'd be working from home, she can work anywhere where there's old people. We pay the bills these days with my investment portfolio, and I'm re-entering the workforce specifically to do contract work for House Money after a mental health gap year.

So, our "plan" is we want a single family home in a nice climate that has the kitchen and bathroom features we want, or that we can have renovated into it. Also in a town where An Actual Cop won't burn our house down for being an interracial couple.

We probably will end up renting for a bit to test the waters, but we're both so sick of the basic-rear end features of like every apartment. We're also sick of moving all the time, and want to like put down roots.

Tourism doesn't bother me too much, I grew up in a tourist town. I'll look into Wake County, too, though.

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016

deadly_pudding posted:

You might also consider Ashville, NC, more of an Austin-TX weird/hippy/arts vibe. Huntsville, AL is similarly an oasis of pretty cool and massively affordable stuff in a deep red sea. Greenville, SC is really nice near the NC border, decent sized city with a cool downtown. Further north you could consider Charlottesville, VA. If you're this flexible you have a lot of great choices. I'd opt for Charleston or Savannah over Myrtle Beach any day, personally, unless you're *really* into golf, if you're interested in beach life.

Totally understand not wanting to move a bunch of times but renting for a year and then moving into a permanent place is 100% the way to go. You can rent an entire house pretty easily, so that's at least not a crappy apartment.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

DaveSauce posted:

We like it here, not much of a racism problem as long as you stay close to Raleigh. I mean, you'll still see confederate flags around, but that's about as bad as it gets.

I lived in Texas most my life and I've only seen Confederate flags on TV. Maybe once it twice in the 90s... You'd get your windows smashed in a week if you put one out. South has a very different opinion on what qualifies as "not very racist"...

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

deadly_pudding posted:

Greensboro is a lot different than Myrtle Beach. Myrtle Beach sucks for the most part and so do their cops. If you want to be in the Myrtle Beach area--stick to the northern parts--Cherry Grove, Little River and go across the line to Ocean Isle in North Carolina.

Greensboro and the surrounding Triad area (Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High Point) is getting pretty red. You're going to being waitin' for your biscuits and tea. If you're want something a little more progressive than the standard North Carolina experience, look toward the Triangle area (Durham/Raleigh/Chapel Hill) Chapel Hill is great if you have kids in school, but the housing market is the highest in the state. The live music and cultural entertainment in the area is top notch with lots of variety and tough to beat unless you to DC or Atlanta.

How "cool" an area is in North Carolina basically boils down to the school in town. Every large town has at least one major university. The closer you are to Duke, UNC at Chapel Hill, or NC State--the more progressive and less red folks tend to be. Asheville, Wilmington, and Boone--all great towns with great student populations.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

HycoCam posted:

Greensboro is a lot different than Myrtle Beach. Myrtle Beach sucks for the most part and so do their cops. If you want to be in the Myrtle Beach area--stick to the northern parts--Cherry Grove, Little River and go across the line to Ocean Isle in North Carolina.

Greensboro and the surrounding Triad area (Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High Point) is getting pretty red. You're going to being waitin' for your biscuits and tea. If you're want something a little more progressive than the standard North Carolina experience, look toward the Triangle area (Durham/Raleigh/Chapel Hill) Chapel Hill is great if you have kids in school, but the housing market is the highest in the state. The live music and cultural entertainment in the area is top notch with lots of variety and tough to beat unless you to DC or Atlanta.

How "cool" an area is in North Carolina basically boils down to the school in town. Every large town has at least one major university. The closer you are to Duke, UNC at Chapel Hill, or NC State--the more progressive and less red folks tend to be. Asheville, Wilmington, and Boone--all great towns with great student populations.

This is all really good info.

It's hard to research this stuff. A google search for stuff like "places that aren't racist" yields like... staggeringly vague information. Or places that don't help my beef with the Concept of Winter Itself, like Denver. Or places that are also probably too hot, like Austin. We're very picky due to a variety of circumstances, haha.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

deadly_pudding posted:

This is all really good info.

It's hard to research this stuff. A google search for stuff like "places that aren't racist" yields like... staggeringly vague information. Or places that don't help my beef with the Concept of Winter Itself, like Denver. Or places that are also probably too hot, like Austin. We're very picky due to a variety of circumstances, haha.

What is your budget and what size house do you want ideally?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

HycoCam posted:

I disagree about the Triad. It's progressive in the cities and conservative in the countryside just like the rest of the state.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

H110Hawk posted:

What is your budget and what size house do you want ideally?

We're looking to get 3 bedrooms and 2 baths, with a budget of like $200k or less. I'm picky about kitchens and bathrooms. I cook pretty much constantly, and we want a nice bathtub that's not directly adjacent to a toilet since that grosses out my wife. Open concept would be preferable for the kitchen and living area, and the house should be single level, like a ranch-style or something.

In addition to hating the weather here, the real estate around this city is wack.
Choose 2 (choose 1 in some towns):
I can afford the house
The house is nice enough
The house is in a school district that's not a prison pipeline

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

deadly_pudding posted:

we want a nice bathtub that's not directly adjacent to a toilet since that grosses out my wife.

I feel like your wife is 1 case of norovirus away from realizing why the tub being toilet adjacent is a huge plus. :v:

Good luck with your hunt, I feel like knowing a budget and target size can help folks give you an idea of destinations. If your budget was around 2-3x I would suggest the literal town I live in or its neighbors, where you can get basically everything you're looking for from a cultural and amenities perspective. If you're already living off your investments you might consider seeing if you can pump that number a bit as it could really open your options.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

H110Hawk posted:

I feel like your wife is 1 case of norovirus away from realizing why the tub being toilet adjacent is a huge plus. :v:

Good luck with your hunt, I feel like knowing a budget and target size can help folks give you an idea of destinations. If your budget was around 2-3x I would suggest the literal town I live in or its neighbors, where you can get basically everything you're looking for from a cultural and amenities perspective. If you're already living off your investments you might consider seeing if you can pump that number a bit as it could really open your options.

There's some wiggle room, but one of the soft goals is paying less per month than our current rent of like $1400 lol.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

deadly_pudding posted:

There's some wiggle room, but one of the soft goals is paying less per month than our current rent of like $1400 lol.
Given your requirements, in North Carolina, you can easily get that on a 30-year note in Raleigh, Charlotte, or Wilmington. Boone and the triad on a 15-year note. Ashville would be tougher.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Hmm, I put in an offer for a duplex north of Boston for $660k, the way the math worked is I pay $90k at closing, $3300 monthly, and I should be able to rent both units for around $4000/month total while finishing the basement and living in the basement myself (high ceilings and pretty open floor plan in the basement). It doesn't hit the "1% rule" of rental income, but nothing does near Boston except 4+ multifamilies in the ghetto.

But the seller's agent (I have her as a dual agent) is telling me there's one offer above mine at $680k, and that bidder would be willing to go up to $690k.

Now, I picked her as a dual agent knowing that it's another 20k in her pocket worth of closing costs (she obviously knows that too since she agreed on it) and she's married to the seller (renovator, so it's a flipper+lister married couple team), so I feel like my offer is worth around 20k more to them than other offers since they pocket both buyer/seller agent fees. It is pretty competitive around here so I tried to give myself an edge on getting outbid (and the dual agent is telling me the exact amounts of competing offers, I was counting on bonus info like that from this arrangement). If I raise my offer it becomes closer to $3400 monthly payment and that makes the profit margin (around $600 month minus income taxes on it) probably too tight to be worth the hassle.

It would be my 6th and 7th rental apartments and I don't know if I want to commit to this much hassle and overhead for a relatively meager extra income. I was right on the fence at $660 but it feels like another 20-30k to clinch the deal is a bridge too far. Anyway, I have until tomorrow and I think I might just leave my offer where it is with an extremely low chance to get it accepted. Weird to be this close and considering giving up. In the back of my head I know interest is an all time low and house prices are still going up. It's good to have a situation like this where the flipper bought this for less and sunk probably $100k cash into renovating, better I buy it with a low downpayment than having to pay cash out of pocket for those renovations myself. Still, eh, can't make up my mind.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 26, 2020

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

It would be my 6th and 7th rental apartments and I don't know if I want to commit to this much hassle and overhead for a relatively meager extra income. I was right on the fence at $660 but it feels like another 20-30k to clinch the deal is a bridge too far. Anyway, I have until tomorrow and I think I might just leave my offer where it is with an extremely low chance to get it accepted.

I would let it ride. Hopefully the market tank of the last 2 days keeps going tomorrow and your offer suddenly looks like a sure thing. You know as much as anyone that there is always another rental flip. Heck these very people might call you directly the next time they have one to sell given you are basically giving them a 3% edge on other buyers with outside representation. You're more sophisticated than the regular jerks off the street.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Help me be bad with money. I've been semi-casually looking for a place off and on for about 5 years now. In the meantime, I've been living rent-free, which has let me build up a pretty sizeable fund. A house just came up that ticks basically every box I am looking for except the price which is about 10% higher than the max budget I started looking at (750k), but if I really wanted it, I could put a large enough down payment/points that P+I + tax + insurance would be around where I aiming for to begin with. The problem came when my agent sent me the comps.

Or should I say comp. He sent me a list of one house. The neighborhood it's in is fairly small, with maybe 20 units total, and of those about half have access to a small river. Of the ones with water access, only one sold in the last 3 years. The house I'm looking at is listed at about 7% higher $/sqft than the comp, but it's not an easy comparison because the comp is about 30% bigger, is more updated, has a gentler slope to the water, doesn't face mobile homes / highway, and already has a built dock. The selling agent justified the price saying that comps aren't easy for this area and that the market has picked up in the last 6 months. I somewhat understand the first part, but the second is almost certainly a lie since 2019 was one of the slowest years since I moved here and the holidays are generally low activity. For what it's worth, there are 3 other houses that sold on the waterfront in the last 4 years--two of them in 2016 and one off-market in 2018 all for about 30% less $/sqft, not adjusted for market growth.

Is this all just a game where the prices are made up and the comps don't matter or are my agent and I just crazy? The list price looks like they probably just plugged in their purchase price and added 6% per year they've owned it--they even hid the redfin estimate presumably because they didn't want to admit that 2019 was a year of practically 0 growth. I do want the house, but my agent estimated that I'd probably have to offer 800 right now and hope to settle around 820 given that the seller has made a contingent offer on another property. Anyone have any recommendations on what to do?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Yes, prices are made up, or rather something is worth what someone else is sucker enough to pay for.

I've bought condos for more than 10% off list price but that was in 2008 when it was a buyer's market to the max.

The seller might be perfectly happy keeping the house and has set up a "make me move" price (read: I don't actually want to sell the house but if you reallllly wanna overpay I won't stop you).

If it's actually as overpriced as you feel it is, offer them what you actually think is fair. Maybe if they sit on it for a few months with no offers they'll come straight to you when they decide to get realistic. The most important thing is you're living rent free so you shouldn't feel compelled to offer more than you're comfortable with while you can keep stacking bills and biding your time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

But enough about how I spent the first Halloween in my house.